AVS Forum banner

Mirage Speakers

998K views 7K replies 829 participants last post by  eab6287 
#1 ·
I want start this thread to focus on discussing Mirage speakers. It appears that Mirage has started to go small in recent years, promoting OmniSat or some new variation of it. I would like to hear from people familiar with the Mirage brand of speakers on their opinions on comparing Mirage floorstanding OM series of speakers with these OmniSat speakers. Reading Mirage website, they seem to suggest that OmniSat performs almost to the level of OM speakers. It is hard to believe that the alumnium cased little speakers could perform to the level of wood cabinet of the OM speakers. The OM series speakers referred here are OM-6, OM-5, and OM-9.

Hopefully, we can have a lively discussion here.

#553 ·
Oh no, you can't get the 150s, you'll just have to try and snag a pair of OMD-5s then

Seriously though, I believe that the Omni line is discontinued (someone correct me if i'm wrong), and those were all closeout models. Except for Ebay or maybe a local dealer (who can check if API still has any in stock) chances are slim you'll get a pair. The last NIB pair I saw on eBay went for considerably more than the $150 the owner probably paid.

Keep checking audiogon and videogon, considerably better signal to noise ratio than eBay.

#554 ·
the 550's are the best speakers i have ever had.

but getting the rear surrounds are going to be a challenge.

i contemplated a center for to long, and lost an opportunity to get the 150's.

now i just want a nice 4.1 system, and getting the other 2 are going to be a pain.

if i cant find any 150's in a week, i will get something else. i know the rears do not have to match as well as the front three, so i will look for something i can mount on my walls, and black..

#557 ·
Yup, I certainly didn't get a deal by any means, but it was still cheaper than getting another pair of 350's (which wouldn't have really worked in my room anyway).

I just really wasn't willing to risk mismatching my setup. My other option was to get Omnisats for the rears, but those are still going for over $200 a pop, so double what I paid for the 160's.

All told, I do feel I ended up on a fairly good deal on the whole set... 5 speakers, including shipping, came out to be US$637. It would have been $100 cheaper a few weeks ago, but c'est la vie.

#558 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutdi /forum/post/13111537

Not only did the Vanns deal on the White Nanosats disappear ($500), but the black nanosats are now marked at their normal price of $800, and they still aren't in stock.

The white Nanosat system has been discontinued nearly as long as the Nanosat Prestige line has been in existence (close to 2 years if memory serves). Way back when the Nanosats first came out, they were available in a complete 5.1 package and came in black/platinum (still current), white, and platinum.

The reason that the white system showed up at Vanns, and also the reason that they have Omni-350's in cherry (a finish that was only available in European markets when the line was current) is because they have taken advantage of some of those close-outs I mentioned a little while back in this thread. As of January 1st this year, there were only 5 Nanosat systems in white even available, and I'm sure Vann's took them all.

Finally, the price adjustment on the black/platinum Nano system is because there was a promotion going on with the system to sell it at a reduced MSRP of $599 which has expired.

Hope this clears up any confusion and congrats on your Omni series purchases.

#559 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by intence /forum/post/13115963

Seriously though, I believe that the Omni line is discontinued (someone correct me if i'm wrong), and those were all closeout models. Except for Ebay or maybe a local dealer (who can check if API still has any in stock) chances are slim you'll get a pair. The last NIB pair I saw on eBay went for considerably more than the $150 the owner probably paid.

Keep checking audiogon and videogon, considerably better signal to noise ratio than eBay.

I won't correct you since you are absolutely right. The Omni series has been officially discontinued for some time now and is fast becoming long gone. Once Vann's and Crutch are out of models, the only means of purchasing would be through B&M dealers who may still be sitting on some models in inventory (like myself) and those others you have also mentioned.

As for what API still has in stock, as of January 1st this year, there were 433 individual Omni-550's in black in their warehouse. The only other Omni series items were very limited quantities of Omni-350's and 550's in cherry (a finish only available in Europe when the line was current). The cherry 350's as we all know are at Vann's right now. There were also 4 Omni-C150's in cherry at that time, and I'm sure those came and went so fast it wasn't even funny.

That's the official scoop guys! Let me know if you need anything else and I'll try to help.

#560 ·
Has anyone seen the Cherry finish on the Omni Series? It it vinyled, or veneered? I remember seeing the OM9s in Cherry and that was really nicely done, but then again, that was a much pricier speaker

TDI Driver, anything left from the original OM series? I'm a sucker for the older Mirage stuff

#561 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by intence /forum/post/13118660

Has anyone seen the Cherry finish on the Omni Series? It it vinyled, or veneered? I remember seeing the OM9s in Cherry and that was really nicely done, but then again, that was a much pricier speaker

TDI Driver, anything left from the original OM series? I'm a sucker for the older Mirage stuff

As far I as know, the cherry finish on the Omni series is a vinyl wrap like the black ash finish is.

From memory - I have the stock report at home now due to all the AVS questions
- the only OM series were some tight quantities on OM-R2 in white, OM-C2 and OM-C3. No towers unfortunately, but if there had, I would have a pair of OM-5's in my living room right now

#562 ·
Several people have mentioned wanting a pair of Omni 150s. I have a pair that I am no longer using. One has a small dent in the tweeter, but the sound is not effected.

PM me if interested.

(Note: I love my 350s, but it will be interesting to see how much I still love them after receiving my Cambridge Audio S30s, which match my electronics exactly. If I strongly prefer the CAs, the 350s may also end up being for sale, and they are mint.)

#564 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWV /forum/post/13153475

Hey folks, looking to upgrade my surrounds after getting my Onkyo 705... so the Omni series is dead? Meaning that finding Omnican 5's or 6's in white will be challenging in the near future?

The Omni series does not include the Omnican, but the Omnican line is going through a change/cosmetic update at the moment with a new model line-up shipping in May. Hope this clears things up.

#565 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/13143947

Several people have mentioned wanting a pair of Omni 150s. I have a pair that I am no longer using. One has a small dent in the tweeter, but the sound is not effected.

PM me if interested.

(Note: I love my 350s, but it will be interesting to see how much I still love them after receiving my Cambridge Audio S30s, which match my electronics exactly. If I strongly prefer the CAs, the 350s may also end up being for sale, and they are mint.)

Dude you change speakers more than people change socks. You just got the Mirage not too long ago and you are already getting new speakers. What made you go for the Cambridge? If anything I would see that as a horizontal and maybe downgrade considering the Omni 350 are full range when compared to the small S30.

#566 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 /forum/post/13161852

Dude you change speakers more than people change socks. You just got the Mirage not too long ago and you are already getting new speakers. What made you go for the Cambridge? If anything I would see that as a horizontal and maybe downgrade considering the Omni 350 are full range when compared to the small S30.

easy on mr pulliam.

he just sold me some mirage 150's.........awesome..!!!!!!!!!!!!

#568 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI Driver /forum/post/13155431

The Omni series does not include the Omnican, but the Omnican line is going through a change/cosmetic update at the moment with a new model line-up shipping in May. Hope this clears things up.

TDI, can you tell us what changes are being done to the Omnicans?

I'm VERY pleased with my 6's, but if, for example, they're getting a very noticable increase in frequency response, might be worth upgrading.

BTW, if the new 6's are indeed worth getting as compared to the current models, you've got the sale if you can ship to S.C.

#569 ·
PULLIAM,

If you like Cambridge Audio try the audioadvisor.com sale on the 540R receiver. Only $499 and built like a tank .Sounds better than my old Sony ES.

What made you buy the Cambridge Audios? There is not much info on them. Did you listen to them, or just buy them mail order because of the low price point?

#570 ·
I am still waiting on all my mirages, but I did get the Athena LS-C100. It's larger than I expected, but it looks good.

My concern is with how it sounds. It's far clearer, less muddy than my Onkyo. But today I noticed when moving around in my TiVo menus there is a gritty sound when the TiVo makes sound effects. I haven't really heard it when watching content yet, but it's totally apparent when making theses sound effects. It appears to come from the tweeter only. Changes in volume don't alleviate the problem, and I have tried swapping out the cables. It doesn't happen on my old CC. I guess I would describe the sound like an additional vibration, like someone had placed a little piece of plastic up against the tweeter. It appeared to diminish after running through audessy calibration, though it's not gone and I don't know what setting diminished it.

So what do you guys think? Defective center?

#571 ·
Hello all. I was all set to go and buy some Definitive Techs when I inherited a set of Mirage speakers from my brother. His friend who upgraded a few years ago gave them to my brother, but has been storing them in a closet for the last couple of years. I wanted to cry when I found this out and he offered them to me.

I now have OM6 mains, OMC2 center and OM12s. The OM12s are going to be used as a stereo pair in another room as they will be too big for surrounds in my 13'x13' HT room.

One OM6 is being repaired right now. One of the Sub woofers was blown and making a buzzing noise. Will cost roughly $200 for the new woofer.

I'm currently using a Denon AVR1801. It's rated for 70wpc @8 ohms and 105wpc@6 ohms. http://ca.denon.com/avr1801_productsheet.pdf

My old speakers are Paradigm Titan for mains, Atom for surrounds, a small Paradigm Center and Paradigm 12" Sub. My previous home only fit bookshelf speakers.

I also have a Toshiba A35 HDDVD and Sony 46V3000 TV in my setup.

To me the Mirage OM6 and OMC2 are definitely a step up from the Paradigms, but I think that the current Receiver isn't doing the speakers justice.

Would something like the Onkyo 705 or 805 be a good Receiver to mate up with these fine speakers? Or I'm thinking I could go all out and spring for a Denon 3808 because that was the budget I had in mind for a full set of Def Techs. Or some kind of Separate Amps?

The speakers I believe are ideally run at 6ohms, but the brochure says 8ohms compatable...which component decides the impedance? Speakers or Receiver?

I don't mind my Paradigm Atoms as surrounds right now but would I benefit much from adding something like the Mirage Nanosat Satelites?

Thanks.

George.

#572 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksmyname /forum/post/13162413

TDI, can you tell us what changes are being done to the Omnicans?

I'm VERY pleased with my 6's, but if, for example, they're getting a very noticable increase in frequency response, might be worth upgrading.

BTW, if the new 6's are indeed worth getting as compared to the current models, you've got the sale if you can ship to S.C.

Jack,

From what my rep was indicating, it sounds like there are three models planned (2-way 4"/5"/6"), and there will be cosmetic changes so the grille doesn't stick down off the ceiling as much. When I find out more information than this (specs, pricing, etc), I'll be sure to post, and I'll PM you when they are shipping.

Best,

TDI

#573 ·
George,

The problem is with the speakers, those are horrible speakers. Go out and get the definitive's instead, and get rid of those awful OM-6s. While you're at it, i'll PM you my shipping address, and will dispose of them properly for you

If you can wait about a week, i'll give you a much better answer regarding the receiver. I'm going to be trying an Onkyo SR-805 with OM-9s (which are similar to the OM-6s) and will let you know if I think there's any significant difference. The Denon is supposed quite a good receiver, and the two critical parts of the equation in the receiver would be the DACs for converting digital data to analog (assuming your source is digital, which these days it probably is) and the amp section on the Denon.

What will you be using the system for? As you go to more expensive receivers, there is a point of diminishing returns. The higher models tend to support have virtual sound fields (in some cases) and sometimes support additional decoding formats. I'm not sure what you'd gain by going to the 3803, from a sonic point of view. I'm not familiar with the Denon lineup, but i'd check the DACs on the 3803 vs. 2808 vs. 2308 and see if they're the same. In fact, go out and try to listen to them and see if you can tell a difference. I do know that the Onkyo SR-805 weighs over 50lbs, and uses top-of-the-line Burr-Brown DACs (according to Onkyo). For the price it seems like a bargain (PM for more details but you should be able to get one for a bit under $700 including shipping and possibly taxes depending on where you live).

You could get a cheaper receiver, and a Blu-Ray player, just something else to consider. I should also probably point out that your speakers are still made in Canada, which is nice, since it seems that Mirage like most other companies has moved production off-shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absurd_username /forum/post/13166366

Hello all. I was all set to go and buy some Definitive Techs when I inherited a set of Mirage speakers from my brother. His friend who upgraded a few years ago gave them to my brother, but has been storing them in a closet for the last couple of years. I wanted to cry when I found this out and he offered them to me.

I now have OM6 mains, OMC2 center and OM12s. The OM12s are going to be used as a stereo pair in another room as they will be too big for surrounds in my 13'x13' HT room.

One OM6 is being repaired right now. One of the Sub woofers was blown and making a buzzing noise. Will cost roughly $200 for the new woofer.

I'm currently using a Denon AVR1801. It's rated for 70wpc @8 ohms and 105wpc@6 ohms. http://ca.denon.com/avr1801_productsheet.pdf

My old speakers are Paradigm Titan for mains, Atom for surrounds, a small Paradigm Center and Paradigm 12" Sub. My previous home only fit bookshelf speakers.

I also have a Toshiba A35 HDDVD and Sony 46V3000 TV in my setup.

To me the Mirage OM6 and OMC2 are definitely a step up from the Paradigms, but I think that the current Receiver isn't doing the speakers justice.

Would something like the Onkyo 705 or 805 be a good Receiver to mate up with these fine speakers? Or I'm thinking I could go all out and spring for a Denon 3808 because that was the budget I had in mind for a full set of Def Techs. Or some kind of Separate Amps?

The speakers I believe are ideally run at 6ohms, but the brochure says 8ohms compatable...which component decides the impedance? Speakers or Receiver?

I don't mind my Paradigm Atoms as surrounds right now but would I benefit much from adding something like the Mirage Nanosat Satelites?

Thanks.

George.

#574 ·
I am looking for a pair of OMD5 in rosewood. The only place that sells them online seems to be Vanns. As much as I want them, I don't really want to pay $375 for one. That's over $700 for a pair. Is there any other place that sells them for less? Does anyone here have two for sale? Thanks.

#575 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 /forum/post/13169729

I am looking for a pair of OMD5 in rosewood. The only place that sells them online seems to be Vanns. As much as I want them, I don't really want to pay $375 for one. That's over $700 for a pair. Is there any other place that sells them for less? Does anyone here have two for sale? Thanks.

Vanns has the lowest Mirage prices I have seen anywhere. I think you will be hard put to find them cheaper.

#576 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/13169987

Vanns has the lowest Mirage prices I have seen anywhere. I think you will be hard put to find them cheaper.

BB has the Omnisats for the same price Vanns is selling them for. It seems that all retailers sell Mirage speakers for the same price. I suppose I could go with the Omnisats, but I love the look of the OMD5 in rosewood. Is the OMD5 a lot better than the Omnisat? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.