AVS Forum banner

Marantz VP-11S2

187K views 2K replies 140 participants last post by  DS@HTR 
#1 ·
Has anyone received a Marantz VP-11S2 yet? Please post your comments.

#706 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Miller /forum/post/13299502

This is from THE engineer:

STANDARD: 2.2

DYNAMIC: Marantz original curve (s curve)

THEATER: Marantz original curve (multiple curve)

A: 1.9

B: 2.0

C: 2.2 (darker than standard's near black)

D: 2.4

E: Marantz original curve (very s curve)

Just FYI.

Also, a screen will not change gamma.

What one do you recommend for the absolute best (accurate) one for movies.

Setup:

Batcave

92" White 1.3 Gain Screen

#707 ·
From my testing it really depends on the movie you are watching. Standard really does track very well at 2.2, and that is a good reference. I didn't really care for Theater myself, as it appeared a bit too washed out.

Catdaddy...I agree that even on Iris 3, it is quite good. What I like is that it gives people the flexibility they need when they might want some extra kick.

#710 ·
Congratulations, brother. 8)

#713 ·
Ernie,

I have thought about that possibility, and it still might be the case, but my room is fairly well light controlled. It might appear from the pictures that my walls are a reflective surface but they are actually a fairly dark tone of cream/brown.

http://www.materials-world.com/paint...m-color-25.htm

My paint in that room is FLAT Sienna Sand. It is directly in the middle of that chart of colors. As you can see when you contrast that to the white background, it is actually fairly dark and is not anywhere near as reflective as you might be led to believe.

Ill take a picture of it where it meets some white trim and post the contrast.

Of course, my windows are completely blacked out and it is a black hole in there when nothing is on, even in the middle of the day.

Having said that, in iris 3 it is putting out similar brightness on my HCG screen as it does in iris 1 on the BW screen with actually less CR and the haze is just not present with the HCG but is with the BW.

#714 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniec /forum/post/13300634

Cat

I too have the Carada HCG and the BW. The specs indicate 1.4 gain for the BW vs. .8 for the HCG. The fact that the gray screen removes the haze is because it is about a 60% less effecient light source than the BW, and as you would expect 60% less light is being projected into your room in the first place. At the same time any reflected light from your walls, ceilings etc. that actually get back to the screen are reduced by the same 60% margin. When I initially switched to the BW I noticed the slight haze as compared to the HCG. Now that I have addressed my room in general, especially the reflection areas around the screen I much prefer the BW over the HCG.

Further OT (a bad habit of mine): so you observe that the brighter screen, the BW, needs a 'better room' to keep the wall, ceiling, etc., reflections from degrading the pic; seems reasonable, esp since the BW (like the Stewart 1.3) is designed to disperse light widely, for widely seated viewers. The Dalite HiPower, OTOH, is even brighter (2.5 or greater gain), but since it is retro-reflective, focusing the light back toward the pj (and the viewers, assuming they not widely seated), it is supposed to have less problem with reflection from side walls and ceiling. I wonder if anyone (Tryg, maybe?) has ever done any careful experiments comparing a BW and HP screen in this regard.

#715 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzerxxx /forum/post/13297509

That's an interesting observation Mark. I have the 11S2 and the HD1 with 800 lamp hours running side by side. I switch from machine to machine blocking lens output. On very low APL scenes my perception is the S2 (theater, eco, CT 3) performs as well as my HD1 (eco, gamma A, natural) and is a bit less hazy. The only thing I've done on the 11S2 is calibrate black and contrast. In higher APL scenes the S2 looks crisper, more dimensional and less hazy compared to the D-ILA. Based on Jasons measured full field readings discussed thus far I don't expect the S2 will measure as high as the D-ILA but the difference is very difficult to see on my setup comparing low APL film material.

Dazzer: This is quite an astounding report, that the low APL scenes with your 11S2 are as good as those with the HD1/RS1. Was the 11S2 on Iris 1? And is it bright enough in I1 and eco lamp mode? Any idea how many lumens you're getting? (The HD1 is presumably something like 400-500 lumens with 800 hrs on the lamp.)

#716 ·
I believe the higher gain on the BW and ST 130 will disperse light in a narrower cone than a lower gain screen, which should do it widely, Bill. According to the Carada site, the BW is actually better for ambient light rejection than the Cinema White screen or the High Contrast Grey screen.

The HighPower is retro reflective so it is good for rejecting ambient light because it reflects light back to the source. The only bad light for a highpower is light, or reflections coming from behind, or in the general direction of, your viewing area.

#717 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddy67 /forum/post/13302381

Ernie,

I have thought about that possibility, and it still might be the case, but my room is fairly well light controlled. It might appear from the pictures that my walls are a reflective surface but they are actually a fairly dark tone of cream/brown.

http://www.materials-world.com/paint...m-color-25.htm

My paint in that room is FLAT Sienna Sand. It is directly in the middle of that chart of colors. As you can see when you contrast that to the white background, it is actually fairly dark and is not anywhere near as reflective as you might be led to believe.

Ill take a picture of it where it meets some white trim and post the contrast.

Of course, my windows are completely blacked out and it is a black hole in there when nothing is on, even in the middle of the day.

Having said that, in iris 3 it is putting out similar brightness on my HCG screen as it does in iris 1 on the BW screen with actually less CR and the haze is just not present with the HCG but is with the BW.

Cat,

My room is a medium to dark gray and I really didn't think it was a problem. Then I started experimenting with the adhesive backed velvet from McMaster-Carr that Dan Miller recommends. Created a shadow box about 4 feet out on the side walls and ceiling and the results actually exceeded my expections. I can now use high contrast, low bulb mode with my 20k,compared to medium contrast, high bulb without the velvet shadow box. This is with the BW screen, when I had the HCG up I used high brightness, low bulb. After I did my velvet thing my daughter knew that something was very differnet about what she was seeing and asked if I had put in new bigger screen.

#718 ·
Ernie,

Can you post up a link to that? Im going to google it and check it out. That sounds like it could have some SERIOUS wife acceptance issues. 8)

#719 ·
#722 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdaddy67 /forum/post/13303651

Damn, that stuff is not cheap. Did you pay $41 for each 48"x10" piece?

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT...MT4NO=39036059

I might try to frame around my screen but Im going to have to get it at a substantial discount. 8)

I found some cheaper stuff:

http://www.benchmarkcatalog.com/Felt_Yardage_Chart.html

With or without adhesive. Not too bad. Might have to try some out.

Cat,

It $5 plus change per foot, 45" wide. The black velvet actually looks pretty good with my steel gray walls. My philosophy with video and high end audio has always been the most expensive things in the room wins. If I spend a lot of money on toys I will try not to compromise their performance. In fact in addition to the velvet in the front part of the room I made about 20 30" by 40" fiber board covered velvet panels for the rest of the room. I used either the photostar black hole stuff or plain old velveteen from JoAnn's fabricis. I would guess that I have spent > $500 when you add it all up to give my 20k an ANSI friendly environment.

#723 ·
Cat, your link is for felt.

This stuff is the same black low nap velvet that Stewart and others use for their screen borders.

Be careful:

1. The adhesive will stick forever. When it was time to make my room into something that didn't cause my wife to cry I had to lay down a new sheet of 3/8" drywall over the old wall.

2. Keep your floor clear or you will trip over stuff even when the lights are on.

#726 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/13305011

Stewart does sell the raw Velux. It comes in different widths and any length (although there is a minimum order). As Dan said, be careful it is really permanent.

A friend wants to do something like this on his ceiling in front of his screen, but he may buy a big board to attach the material to, then attach that board to his ceiling with screws. That way he could just remove it later and fix the screw holes.

--Darin

#728 ·
Thanks for all the info, guys!

Thats a great idea, Darin.

I think that would be the best way to do it. That way I can sell it to her that if she finds it objectionable, we can take it down.

#729 ·
I attempted to update the software in my BDP94 but after I finished it will no longer read a Bluray disc. Thinks it's a CD rom. So more DTV late tonight. Turned the bulb mode to eco, set the Gamma to D, and the iris to 1. Much much better blacks and the brightness is fine. It doesn't have the pop of iris 3 but your eyes quickly adjust and the blacks are so much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.