AVS Forum banner
986K views 8K replies 785 participants last post by  d.a.v.e 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Since the master Definitive thread is upwards of 90 pages, I thought we could dedicate a thread to the ProCinema series owners. I personally just bought the 600 series (comes with ProSub 600 8").

Thus far, I've rewatched Gladiator in surround sound and it sounds pretty impressive. I've also played Call of Duty 2 on my Xbox 360 and the gunshots and grenades come from all over the place utilizing all the 5.1 speakers... intense!! That was actually a better use than Gladiator. I also watched 5.1 baseball on ESPN HD and you can hear the crowd noise coming from the surrounds.

I plan to ceiling mount the surrounds at least so I'm currently looking for ceiling mounts... any suggestions?

Let's hear what Procinema setups you all have ... I think DT makes some great speakers. I had never heard of them until about a month ago, but now, I'm a convert!

#730 ·
Hi I think my sm350 are defective. I get a bad vibration like they have something loose inside of both speakers

during low frequency. I spoke with Chet He said the internal speaker wiring maybe vibrating on the passive radiator or the maybe loose. Anyone else have problems like this with these?

#732 ·
Baillie, quite a coincidence.

Just this morning I was testing with some music software on my computer for the first time on my new def-tech setup. Pushing some good bass drum hits through the sub I realised this was a good way to identify what's rattling in the room

After fixing a rattle from an item I'd just hung on my wall 2 days ago above my front right SM350, I realised I could still hear a more subtle rattle. It seems that my right-rear PM1000 has a rattle in it that my other 3 PM1000s don't have. By using my ear to locate the rattle it seems loudest coming from the passive radiator on top of the speaker.

The volume is not unreasonably loud - it wasn't at all deafening to have my ear 1 inch from the speaker while locating the rattle, the AVR was only set to -10db. It's a volume level that easily occurs during movies and music, so I'm thinking for piece of mind I will swap the speaker out for another one. Things in the room that rattle/vibrate can easily be fixed by me. Speakers that rattle/vibrate can't.

I came here and saw your nearly identical issue. I wonder if perhaps there's a wire in my PM1000 vibrating like what you describe might be the case? My SM350s however seem to be rattle-free, they produce flawlessly clean sound so far at any volume I can endure. It's weird that both of yours are doing the same thing. Are you sure that it is the speaker making the sound and not something the speaker is mounted to/near? How low do you have the crossover set for them? I'm crossing mine at 60hz, so they aren't seeing anything too low which could possibly be overexerting the speaker.

#733 ·
Hi Grant, My speakers are crossed at 60. if i hold my finger against the passive radiator the vibration noise goes away. i had them on a shelf with same result. they now are on speaker stands and still same problem. it was driving me crazy. My dealer is now sold out and waiting on more.

#736 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst /forum/post/13384692

Ballie,

Good to hear you resolved the issue!

Keep on Deftechin....

Also glad to hear all is well, gotta love those 350's!!

Blasst how is the AVR search going? I'm waiting until The pioneer 1018 comes out.

#737 ·
It's good to hear your new 350s are all peachy, Baillie

I just finished testing my PM1000, and it's the passive radiator too, just lightly pressing on it makes the buzz/rattle go away. A replacement is on it's way. It requires volume typically greater than -15 to start hearing the noise and something like Massive Attack to provoke it.

I also got my PC2000 in to replace the PC1000. A definite improvement. Voices and other center channel sounds are a little "fuller", the ability to do an extra half octave of lower frequency definitely helps.

The Audessy on my Onkyo 705, curiously enough, crossed the PC2000 at 150hz just like it did with the PC1000. I know the PC1000 falls off from 150 and dies entirely down towards 100, so that wasn't a surprise, but the PC2000 I know is similar in response to the PM1000s. So I crossed it at 90hz anyway. It could be because it's sitting in front of the TV and isn't backed up against a wall like all my other speakers.

The PM1000 sides got crossed at 90hz, and the rears at 70hz. I set all the PM1000s to 80hz. It's curious that it registers the different crossover frequencies for the same speakers, it must be something to do with their location/distance, even though the sides and rears are wall mounted a little down from ceiling height.

The SM350s get registered as Full, but I cross them at 60hz.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this DefTech setup. Music, movies and TV sound incredible. Why go to movies theaters any more?

#738 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantR /forum/post/13387985

It's good to hear your new 350s are all peachy, Baillie

Overall I am extremely pleased with this DefTech setup. Music, movies and TV sound incredible. Why go to movies theaters any more?

Good to read about another happy Deftech owner.

I don't go to movies because they would not let me in without pants or shoes

#739 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex /forum/post/13386959

Also glad to hear all is well, gotta love those 350's!!

Blasst how is the AVR search going? I'm waiting until The pioneer 1018 comes out.

Plex,

Right now I still have the Yamaha 663 in my sights, with a persistent thought to wait until the Pioneer 1018 comes out to make a final decision. Patience, patience I need to have.

The upgrades are always trying to seduce us, must resist, must resist.......

#740 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst /forum/post/13393716

Plex,

Right now I still have the Yamaha 663 in my sights, with a persistent thought to wait until the Pioneer 1018 comes out to make a final decision. Patience, patience I need to have.

I know it is hard to wait, i have the cash in hand and i keep saying just wait until you see all the new AVR's before you jump, i'll shoot myself if i gi to early on this. I have setup a poll to get DT owner opinion on who has what. Please cast your vote! this may help me make a better and informed choice.

#741 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILLIE /forum/post/13209812

Hi just found these guys online Zerpan.com for cheap Definitive promount 80 wall mounts for Definitive Technology ProCinema Series 600/800/1000 (or 60/80/100) . They also have the stands. Bill

Thanks for the heads up. Anyone else find the Promounts for under retail? I am having a tough time finding them in white. Ebay has a couple of listings currently for black.

#743 ·
I posted something similar in the main Speakers forum, but after more thought, I'm definitely going with DT speakers, so I figured I would get better advice here....

We have decided to do some remodeling in our 18' x 13' living room with 8' ceilings. Part of the agreement is that I get to purchase a new speaker setup, however, all of the speakers must be wall mounted. These speakers will be powered by a Yamaha RX-V661. I'm guessing we will use them for 70% movies / 30% music. This will be a 5.1 setup and will be replacing an existing 5.1 setup. I would like to keep the cost under $1500 and even less money would be better

These speakers will be replacing a 9 year old Polk setup with RT600 towers and bipole surrounds. It has always sounded good, but I actually got to listen to some Definitive Technology ProCinema 1000's today and these sounded outstanding (powered by a Yamaha RX-V881). I also listened to a comparable Klipsch setup, but the DT's sounded better to me. It was the DT 1000 left, right and center with the ProSub 800. I also heard them with the SuperCube III sub. Unfortunately, I didn't get to compare them to the ProCinema 800's.

As I said earlier, I'm limited to wall mounted speakers (bookshelves will not work). The tricky part is the room layout as you can see below. The center speaker must be mounted above the plasma and there is only 1' 4" of space there. The front left & right must also be mounted on the front wall / ceiling somewhere. I have 1' to work with above the windows, which is where they will almost definitely end up (wife's choice). I have 1' 9" between the window and the wall sconces (lights). I have about 2' from the top of the wall lights to the ceiling. The rear speakers will be mounted on the rear wall near the corners of the room, probably in the same spots as the current rear speakers.

So I guess this is a two part question. First of all, given the room layout, any specific recommendations on where to place the speakers? I should also mention that the wires must be hidden. I guess this is basically already decided though. Secondly, given the room dimensions, my budget and the layout constraints, am I on the right path for the speakers? Here is what I'm tentatively planning:

ProMonitor 1000 - Front left/right.

ProMonitor 800 - Rear left/right. Would be willing to use ProMonitor 1000's for rears if it would make a huge difference.

ProCenter 1000 - Center speaker. Also considering ProCenter 2000.

ProSub 1000 - Also open to other sub suggestions such as the SuperCube III or SVS PB10-NSD.

I'm definitely open to suggestions and thanks in advance for any and all help. If any other pictures would be helpful, please let me know. Hiding all the wires is going to be a fun project also

#744 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst /forum/post/13393716

Plex,

I have the Onkyo 875 and love it. My next reciever will be one with Dolby Volume. Try to hold out for that feature if you can. No more commercals blasting you out of your room.... I think it is supposed to be avail later this year. Dolby released it at CES this year.

#745 ·
I am going to be picking up 4 ProMonitor 800's and a ProCenter 1000. I am curious about the best sub to add to this set-up. Is it beneficial to go with the ProSub 1000 (does the whole Def Tech system work well together), or is it better to get another brand sub. Are there any better subs to match with this system for around $250? I think a 10" woofer will be sufficient based on my 12 x 14 room size. If this question should go in the sub forum just let me know.

Thanks

#746 ·
I took a look through the massive thread but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm looking at getting some of the ProMonitor 800 or 1000 (still haven't decided) for front and rear speakers, but I have a question about how best to mount them.

1) I looks like the mounting kit is in the back towards the bottom. If I wanted to mount them on the front and back walls of my TV room with 10 foot ceilings, how far from the ceiling should I mount them?

2) Is there a min / max / req distance from the ceiling for the "pressure-driven planar low-frequency radiators"?

3) If they are too close to the ceiling do they start to sound boomy or distort?

4) Has anyone tried to mount them high on wall and turn the speakers 180 degrees so the radiator points down?

I tried to find an official installation PDF or something but couldn't dig one up on their site.

#748 ·
Just curious to see if anyone has the quick fix to my headache, I've been reading this thread for the past few weeks before moving forward with a purchase, now that I finally have I need some assistance, so here goes.

I also hope to contribute tons of stuff, once everything is finally up-and-running.

I purchased a the ProCinema 1000 setup with the Center channel and ProSub 1000 and a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver yesterday

I'm having trouble getting the sub to work using a MonsterBass300 subwoofer cable. I've tried connecting the cable from the sub to the receiver and no luck, it sounded luke a real easy setup but has been the complete opposite.

I've tried changing a bunch of settings on the receiver and nothing, but for some reason I think I may need another cable or different wiring configuration?

Anyone out there with a potential resolve or advice?

Chris

#750 ·

Just curious to see if anyone has the quick fix to my headache, I've been reading this thread for the past few weeks before moving forward with a purchase, now that I finally have I need some assistance, so here goes.

I also hope to contribute tons of stuff, once everything is finally up-and-running.

I purchased a the ProCinema 1000 setup with the Center channel and ProSub 1000 and a Yamaha RX-V663 receiver yesterday

I'm having trouble getting the sub to work using a MonsterBass300 subwoofer cable. I've tried connecting the cable from the sub to the receiver and no luck, it sounded luke a real easy setup but has been the complete opposite.

I've tried changing a bunch of settings on the receiver and nothing, but for some reason I think I may need another cable or different wiring configuration?

Chris check the volume control on the right side of the sub. I had an issue with this also. my volume control was to low and my denon would not recognize it.

#749 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0103 /forum/post/13424142

Chris

Chris - you want to try posting in the 663 theard (amps and avr) since this AVR is so new there may not be enough DT users with the 663 yet.

Side note: did you look into the monoprice.com site, i got a great sub cable for under $25, this site a very well known by most members and highly reguarded, if you can return the Monster do so and check out monoprice. the savings will offset the 663 somewhat.

#751 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris0103 /forum/post/13424142

Chris

and make sure the cable is connected at the sub pre-out jack and not the multi-channel sub jack on the yamaha..

#752 ·
Ok, I stand corrected there are a few owners with the 663

#753 ·
Thanks, but I'm still looking to get some guidance on where to mount the front and rear speakers in relationship to the ceiling. Is there a min / max / req distance the speakers should be from the ceiling?

The WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) dictates that stands are out and there is no other way to mount the speakers at ear level. It might not be ideal, but I need to mount them towards the top of my 10 foot ceiling.

#754 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by corladon /forum/post/13428199

Thanks, but I'm still looking to get some guidance on where to mount the front and rear speakers in relationship to the ceiling. Is there a min / max / req distance the speakers should be from the ceiling?

The WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) dictates that stands are out and there is no other way to mount the speakers at ear level. It might not be ideal, but I need to mount them towards the top of my 10 foot ceiling.

Note WAF dictates it all, all the time! Not sure about the min/max, but leaving a bit of room for reflectors above and your Auto EQ will account for such deviations. I have all four of mine mounted about 1.5 feet down from the ceiling and slighted tilted and angled towards the listening position. The center is sitting above the projector screen in line with the others again tilted down.

#755 ·
Well I finally bit the bullet and ordered my new speaker setup. Unfortunately, it will probably be a couple weeks before I get it all setup since I need to run wires inside walls, in the ceiling etc
. I will definitely post back on the results.

I ordered the following setup:

2 ProMonitor 1000's for the front left & right

2 ProMonitor 800's for the rear left & right

1 ProCenter 2000 center

1 SuperCube III subwoofer

I am going to use the Peerless SPK811 mounts for the front and center speakers (4 mounts total). This is what Definitive Technologies recommended to me. I'm using the DT ProMount for the rear speakers.

The good (or maybe bad) part of this setup is that due to space contraints and appearance constraints, I will not be able to upgrade this anytime soon. So I won't fall into the same "trap" that Plex and Blast found

I ordered through Nick Cosentino at ABT Electronics. I have zero affiliation with them, but his service and pricing were both exceptional.

Corladon - I will be mounting all my speakers almost to the top of an 8' ceiling for many of the same reasons as you described. Here is what Chet from Definitive Technologies told me regarding their placement relative to the ceiling.

"You could mount the ProMonitor 1000s upright as long as you have about two inches clear above their cabinets. If you would not have a two inch clearance, you could easily mount these speakers upside down as well."

Obviously, the lower you can mount them, the better, but you can also mount them as high as you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.