AVS Forum banner

Wich of these stand alone players is the best?

• Sharp BD-HP20U

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Samsung BD-P1400/X

• Sony BDP-S300

Effin PS3... which Blu-Ray player should I buy at $399 price point?

11K views 169 replies 50 participants last post by  anonymouse99 
#1 ·
I finally broke down and bought a Blu-Ray player. Not being a fan of Sony I decided I would buy a PS3 because they lose money on me and I have no plans of buying games or accessories for it. After fighting this thing for a week now I think I'm officially done with it. The lack of HDMI cable, IR support, and a few other what I would consider requirements have made me dislike this thing to the point where I've had it. The final straw is my inability to make my Harmony remote work with it even w/the Blue Wave remote dongle. Sure I could put even more time into programming it but it will never control the PS3 100% no matter what I buy. So far, I've paid for another HDMI cable (I really feel sorry for the people that spend $100 for an HDMI cable) an IR remote and after all that it still doesn't function the way it should. I didn't buy a Harmony remote so that I can have some goofy video game controller that I had to use too.

/rant

So, now that I'm returning this PS3 to Best Buy I'm wondering what player that is at the same $399 price point I should get. I've heard that the PS3 is 'future proof' but the more I'm reading makes it seem like even the stand alone players can be updated with the latest firmware when it happens. So, is the PS3 any more 'future proof' than the others or is that a load of BS? The players available to me are:

Sharp BD-HP20U

Samsung BD-P1400/X

Sony BDP-S300

Of those three I would rather not own the Sony but if it's the best I will buy it. The other bonus is I have a 10% off coupon that I couldn't use on the PS3 that I can use on one of these so that will save me another $40. My Harmony will work perfectly out of the gate and it will most likely include an HDMI cable. So, which one should I pick and why? Thanks for the help and sorry if this has been covered some place. I read many pages of thread topics before posting this and didn't see anything that looked like it would cover my issues.

See less See more
#152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLoveone /forum/post/13416145

These statements don't make any sense.

Let's be real here Jeremy. So you complain about the PS3 being hot and noisy and you don't want to use a "game machine" to watch your movies, but you'd have no problem using the hottest, noisiest, most unreliable game console that exists right now, with an add-on hanging off of it no less, to do so?

Seriously something doesn't compute here. When IR trumps better value, more reliability, less noise and a quieter system, free future upgrades to profile 2.0, and additional gaming given you are a gamer, something just isn't right. I guess you admitted it though--you hate Sony. But hatred is no trump for good logic and enjoyment of gaming and HT.

That BDP-S300 firmware update fixed existing bugs. It is still a Profile 1.0 player incapable of PiP or online features. It is still slow as hell doing anything with BD-J or loading discs. It still won't internally decode advanced codecs. And it is stuck this way. Forever.

PS3 on the other hand interally decodes Dolby TrueHD and is already at Profile 1.1 and is fast as hell with BD-J and loading discs (the fastest out there, it's the only one with a double speed Blu-ray drive and a 3.2Ghz processor). It has a wireless and ethernet Internet connection. It will also 100% sure confirmed by Sony be getting an update to internally decode DTS-MA discs by Fox and will be upgraded to Profile 2.0 sometime this summer, with the capability to play all features on all discs.

Counting chickens before they hatch I see be nice I will wait and see.

#153 ·
Even if the PS3 did not have those "Problems" you are having with it you wouldn't like it. It's obvious as you say you will NOT be buying any games for it, even though you play games as you do have a 360. Not buying games for a system you own just because it's a PS3 is just stupid. Sure if no game ever comes out that you want then sure don't buy any games but not because they are out for the PS3. Even if the PS3 worked better than another device you are not going to like it unless you think about it differently.

#154 ·

Quote:

Let's be real here Jeremy. So you complain about the PS3 being hot and noisy and you don't want to use a "game machine" to watch your movies, but you'd have no problem using the hottest, noisiest, most unreliable game console that exists right now, with an add-on hanging off of it no less, to do so?

Seriously something doesn't compute here. When IR trumps better value, more reliability, less noise and a quieter system, free future upgrades to profile 2.0, and additional gaming given you are a gamer, something just isn't right. I guess you admitted it though--you hate Sony. But hatred is no trump for good logic and enjoyment of gaming and HT.

you forgot to add "Even though You Hate sony, you bought another Sony Blu Ray player"

Eh, people want what they want... I guess

#155 ·

Quote:

That BDP-S300 firmware update fixed existing bugs. It is still a Profile 1.0 player incapable of PiP or online features. It is still slow as hell doing anything with BD-J or loading discs. It still won't internally decode advanced codecs. And it is stuck this way. Forever.

PS3 on the other hand interally decodes Dolby TrueHD and is already at Profile 1.1 and is fast as hell with BD-J and loading discs (the fastest out there, it's the only one with a double speed Blu-ray drive and a 3.2Ghz processor). It has a wireless and ethernet Internet connection. It will also 100% sure confirmed by Sony be getting an update to internally decode DTS-MA discs by Fox and will be upgraded to Profile 2.0 sometime this summer, with the capability to play all features on all discs.

Do you know which model of the PS3 they are considering for the DTS MA? I've been wanting to buy another bluray player and I am considering ps3 40gig

do you know if it is possible with the 40gig model?

#156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla /forum/post/13418003

you forgot to add "Even though You Hate sony, you bought another Sony Blu Ray player"

Eh, people want what they want... I guess

I have already said enough in this thread, but the last few posts I can't help but agree with.

I reread the first sentence of the OP and thought similar:

"Not being a fan of Sony I decided I would buy a PS3 because they lose money on me".

regardless of them "losing" money on you, you lost money on a company you dislike or rather you certainly didn't save money just because they "lost" money.

They will more than make it up from us one way or another.

#157 ·
Good thread for the most part, thanks for posting it OP. I'm about to purchase a PS3 with some credit card reward gift cards to CC, to replace my XBOX 360 HD-DVD add-on as my source of disc based HD. I'm not fan of Sony, I purchased the KDS-R50XBR1 1080P set awhile back that can't accept a 1080P input... Thanks Sony! (Doesn't really matter to me since it deinterlaces 1080i excellently, I just like to *****) I'm just looking for a good BD player that is easily and often upgraded, relatively cheap, etc. The fact that it can stream media from my Vista Media Center is a huge bonus, as well as the built-in WiFi. My Harmony 880 can't turn on/off my Wii now anyways, so I'm not too worried about adding the PS3 into the mix. I doubt I will ever buy a PS3 game either, I'll still be playing Halo 3 until Halo 4 comes out
You would definitely say that I am a Microsoft fan boy, I even work as a software engineer with primarily Microsoft technologies - by choice. The PS3 still appears to be the best value for me - so I'll take it. I don't expect it to be as bad as some claim, nor as great as others claim... We'll see, I guess.

#159 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibbs /forum/post/13423233

Good thread for the most part, thanks for posting it OP. I'm about to purchase a PS3 with some credit card reward gift cards to CC, to replace my XBOX 360 HD-DVD add-on as my source of disc based HD. I'm not fan of Sony, I purchased the KDS-R50XBR1 1080P set awhile back that can't accept a 1080P input... Thanks Sony! (Doesn't really matter to me since it deinterlaces 1080i excellently, I just like to *****) I'm just looking for a good BD player that is easily and often upgraded, relatively cheap, etc. The fact that it can stream media from my Vista Media Center is a huge bonus, as well as the built-in WiFi. My Harmony 880 can't turn on/off my Wii now anyways, so I'm not too worried about adding the PS3 into the mix. I doubt I will ever buy a PS3 game either, I'll still be playing Halo 3 until Halo 4 comes out
You would definitely say that I am a Microsoft fan boy, I even work as a software engineer with primarily Microsoft technologies - by choice. The PS3 still appears to be the best value for me - so I'll take it. I don't expect it to be as bad as some claim, nor as great as others claim... We'll see, I guess.

As long as you aren't as big in the IR thing as I am you should be alright. It's really not that bad but it could have been even better and something that was an option for me if Sony hadn't stepped on their own d!cks to try to make a few more bucks. I'm sure it will serve your needs just fine.

#160 ·
The PS3 is a marvelous piece of equipment, I love mine, but it's not for everyone.

I do have a Harmony 880, and find the bluetooth remote for the PS3 to be a sort of mixed blessing. It's a pain that I have to use a separate remote, but it's a blessing in that if I want to watch something else while waiting for a game demo or video to download on the PS3 I can just mash the "watch tivo" activity button on the 880 and not worry about the PS3 shutting off during the download.

It's a pain in that anytime a button is accidentally pressed on the bt remote the PS3 turns on, even if the remote isn't pointed anywhere near the system, but it's a blessing in that I don't have to point the remote at the PS3 when I WANT to operate it.

As other's have mentioned I love that the PS3 boots and loads very quickly and never stutters or drops out (I've also got several HD DVD players and the PS3 is much more confidence inspiring).

But for a variety of reasons which are important to the OP the PS3 is not the machine for him, and that needs to be respected.

The OP asked for opinions on 3 different standalone players, the Sharp, the Sammy

1400, and the Sony 300.

I work in the electronics dept. of a large Sears store, and we carry all 3. The Sammy is slow to boot and load, and has HDMI handshake problems (perhaps having more to do with the Sammy LCD it's connected to than the player itself).

As for the Sony, we've had one 1st gen. and 2 300s as demo models, none of which worked for more than a couple of weeks before dying. Boot-up is about the same as the Sammy which is about the same as a Tosh HDA3, load time varies according to how much Java stuff there is on the disc.

Our one Sharp's been running strong for several months now, sometimes 24/7 for days at a time as the idiots on the closing shift usually forget to turn it off at night. It's running a BD demo disc that just repeats itself automatically and probably will until hell freezes over. It boots up much quicker than the Sony or Samsung, load time variable but usually faster than the others--still glacial compared to the PS3 though.

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibbs /forum/post/13423233

If you play games... the PS3 allows you to download demos for free, who knows maybe you will find something you will like.

To you and especially the OP.... at least you guys enjoy HDM more than you hate sony =)

#163 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla /forum/post/13424623

If you play games... the PS3 allows you to download demos for free, who knows maybe you will find something you will like.

To you and especially the OP.... at least you guys enjoy HDM more than you hate sony =)

True.

#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqlla /forum/post/13424623

GT5 possibly, nothing else interests me so far. I already have a 360 and a Wii, but if something great like GT5 comes along I'll pick it up. I just don't expect to game much with it.

#165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimajnacnud /forum/post/13423758

Never seen a game? Man, you are missing out. Some really amazing games for everyone.

I am tempted, but I'm afraid that the anti game nah sayers that abound around here will come to my house and picket me.....

Seggers

#166 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seggers /forum/post/13428802

I am tempted, but I'm afraid that the anti game nah sayers that abound around here will come to my house and picket me.....

Seggers

Forget them. They are just stuck in "I don't want a gaming console as a blu-ray player" mode. I chose the lamest colour I could find to bring the point across. Just add the whining with the colour.

The ps3 is the most versatile and best br player on the market BAR NONE!!! It gives an amazing picture and is soon to be updated with bd-live (who really cares about that crap anyway) and the holy grail of sound, DTS-HD. People just shoot down the ps3 because it is "the evil Sony corp", it is foremost a gaming machine, and they are pissed they didn't get one in the first place and can't take back there overpriced, unupgradeable, profle 1.0 br player.

#167 ·
I just ordered a PS3 from Sony. I had been leaning towards the Panasonic BD-30,

but with the free shipping, $100 credit for new Sony card users, and 12 months free financing, it seemed like too good a deal to pass up. In a year or two when the technology matures, I'll move the PS3 to my Rec Room and will probably buy a standalone player.

#168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott78 /forum/post/13451406

I just ordered a PS3 from Sony. I had been leaning towards the Panasonic BD-30,

but with the free shipping, $100 credit for new Sony card users, and 12 months free financing, it seemed like too good a deal to pass up. In a year or two when the technology matures, I'll move the PS3 to my Rec Room and will probably buy a standalone player.

I was in the same boat but picked the PS3 given the additional functionality you get at this price point. I would recommend getting a PS3 remote. I got a card in my PS3 packaging that says that you get a practically free PS3 remote if you buy a couple of blu-ray movies. Also check out one of the warehouse clubs for a good deal on the PS3 remote.

#169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse99 /forum/post/13454618

I was in the same boat but picked the PS3 given the additional functionality you get at this price point. I would recommend getting a PS3 remote. I got a card in my PS3 packaging that says that you get a practically free PS3 remote if you buy a couple of blu-ray movies. Also check out one of the warehouse clubs for a good deal on the PS3 remote.

The free remote coupon in the PS3 box deal has expired. I was pretty bummed to see that, but it's only ~$19 at Costco I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.