AVS Forum banner

Traverse City, MI - HDTV

Tags
ant-751
238K views 2K replies 113 participants last post by  dek8ss 
#1 ·
Anyone know any info about WCMU or it's satellite stations' digital plans? Searching around, I've found that they plan to use WGTU's tower near Kalkaska, but no date through Antennnaweb on when it will be operational. Local stations are pretty bleak here, but should be better when WGTU signs on in March.

#728 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 /forum/post/12915466

is anyone else getting volume problems? my volumes from channel to channel are terrible channel

The only time I hear this is with VOD, which is extremely loud. How is your audio set up? Analog, HDMI, Optical? Have you tried power-cycling the DVR or messing around with audio setup in the menu? I have run across a couple of threads with this problem before and it usually seems to be a problematic box. Might want to trade it in for another and see what happens. If you haven't power-cycled it and/or done the "3 finger salute" to do a firmware re-load, it is certainly worth a try.

BTW, answered my own question above. Power-cycled the 6416 and the DD logo is now there in the info bar. Duh! Darn computers!

#730 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvb6171 /forum/post/12982920

Has anyone heard any new rumors on what new HD channels Charter will be adding? and when?

GR thread reports Food HD and HGTV HD in the next 60 days

#731 ·
Hi all, I have a question about ota hdtv. What is needed to recive this, I have Directv, and as you know no locals in hd from them. I have a HR20-100 Directv reciver that has a built in ota turner (i think). Than goes to my HK avr 247 via hdmi, then to my Samsung pf-t5084 hdtv via hdmi. Now the question, what type of a antena do I need? I'm only using this for certin shows, so not all the time. Dont want anything outside my house, Basically looking for something cheep, only going to use it untill Directv gets locals in hd

BTW I'm on a big hill south of TC and can see all the towers at night

Thanks

#732 ·
If your Directv receiver has a OTA HD tuner in it you should be able to just put a UHF antenna on it and do a channel scan. Your NBC station is located on the hill west of TC and should be easy to get even on a inside antenna. Your ABC, FOX, and PBS stations are all coming from a site northeast of Kalkaska, not sure if how well you will see them with a inside antenna. Your CBS station is located southeast of Cadillac.

I use a "Silver Sensor" indoor UHF antenna on one of my TVs here and it works OK. Some people like indoor antennas with preamplifers built in, for others the preamp seems to hurt more than help.

#738 ·
Many of us on the Eastern side of the tip of the mitt get our viewing from the UP as in TV 9&10, 29&8, or Cheboygan's TV 4 as part of TV 7&4. We also barely get channel 45's analog feed of Fox 33. The only DTV feeds that I get are a beautiful HDTV feed from TV 9&10 (49) , an up convert from PBS channel 6 (57), and an upconvert from channel 4 (35). There are many of us that fall under the Traverse City DMA that are not close to Traverse City and are not able to take full advantage of the digital revolution. I also know that many of the stations that some of us watch are translator stations that don't have the same time tables for digital conversion. I know that many station engineers are bombarded with questions and I am also guilty of this so before bothering the engineers I thought I would ask my question here as some may know the answer. My question to all would be, have any of you made any inquiries into pending HDTV conversion and if so what is the outlook and time table for our HDTV viewing?

#739 ·
From the web page (market #116):

http://www.rabbitears.info/dtr.php

WWUP (10 CBS)will flash-cut on 02/17/09, back to channel 10.

WGTQ (8 ABC) is going to be on channel 8, but no plans announced when.

WTOM (4 NBC) is going to stay on channel 35, where they are now. Looks like they are running at full power.

WFUP (45 FOX) is going off the air, you will have to pick up WFQX on channel 47, from WGTU's (29 ABC) tower near Kalkaska, to receive FOX.

And from Alpena (market #208):

WCML (6 PBS) will flash cut on 2/17/09 to channel 24. They are on channel 57 right now.

WBKB (11 CBS) will flash cut on 2/17/09 back to channel 11. They are on using low power (I think) on channel 13 now.

A note on Traverse City station WPBN, it has asked the FCC to move their digital station to their current analog transmitter site on channel 7, but they are currently aproved to operate from their current digital transmitter site west of T.C. Looks like a lot of people that are able to get WPBN in analog will not be getting their digital signal without the move. Either way they are going back to channel 7.

WWTV (9 CBS) will flash cut on 9/17/09 back to channel 9 from channel 40.

WFQX (FOX digital channel 47) and WCMV (PBS digital channel 17) are all set.

WGTU (29 ABC) is moving back to 29 from 31, but don't say when.

#740 ·
I just asked WPBN about them moving to the Harrietta location after the analog shut down heres what I got back, "Thanks for taking the time to write. Since you are located in the Interlochen area, you should have good coverage from our Channel 7 digital transmitter which is currently located in Traverse City. We have filed a petition with the FCC to move back to Harrietta which is where our analog Channel 7 transmitter is located to better serve the southern half of our viewing area.

Looking at the proposed coverage pattern of the Harrietta location, Interlochen should be properly covered from either location.

If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to write."

#743 ·
pianomany2k,

Here are some links to FCC web pages for coverage areas of some of the different stations up north.

WTOM (digital channel 35, NBC):
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT687918.html

WCML (application for channel 24, PBS, Alpena):
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1235710.html

WFQX (channel 47, FOX):
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1178979.html

WGTQ (channel 8, ABC), this is the map for their channel 9 digital coverage, I would guess they plan about the same coverage when the go back to 8, but that's just a guess.:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DT697340.html

I also found a construction permit for a analog translator, W26GD, in St. Ignace on channel 26:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=TX607812.html

And also a new low power digital station for Sault Ste. Marie on channel 28:
http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...LD1148605.html

I don't know where to find maps for WWUP-DT on channel 10.

#744 ·
Well, another thought that crossed my mind, is the fact that WPBN is moving their DT to 7, however keeping WTOM-DT at 35. Odd. Unless they filed and were denied. Funny thing is, when I looked up the station info for WTOM, it shows the DTV Channel as 14

Anyone know what will happen with The CW when the deal with Tucker Broadcasting goes through for 29&8? Since apparently they are going to file for a JSA with 7&4. That's what I've heard, anyway.

And those in the Straits are losing Fox OTA.

What is the affiliation for W26GD? Channel 28 in the Sault means nothing to Cheboygan.

#745 ·
Ugh. So much for TC locals on Dish Network for the forseeable future, their new satellite failed after launch last night. Hopefully DirecTV's new sat makes it next week.

#746 ·
Need some help from Charter subscribers, I called Charter to inquire about renting a HD receiver from them with just the local's in HD and was quoted 5.00 to rent the box and locals, I got to our local Traverse store and they quoted me 5.00 for the receiver and 4.95 for locals in HD, this doesn't make sense when I'm getting local through QAM free right now, does anyone know what the real cost is? is it just 5.00 cause the person at Charter didnt really look up the price they just quoted me at the counter.

#747 ·
More than likely Charter just quoted you the price for an additional HD box, and assumed you already had HD service. I just picked up an DCH3200 today, and they told me I could keep my old box for $5/month. My local service is $8 for all HD channels and $5 per box. (Saginaw)

#748 ·
What is up with 7 & 4 HI Def channels? I can get 9 -1, 27 - 1,2,3, and 29-1, 33 -1, I live out in country part of lake city, morestown are. I can recieve channel 7 chrystal clear. Seems like there draging there heals. I know I got direct TV HI Def DVR and Don't see no HI Def local Available unless you use and arieal antena. Good thing I only pay $10 a month for basic HI Def and love it every channel of it. Can't wait till more Competition of HI Def lowers the prices and then I will upgrade the HI Def packages.
The Pitchure is well worth it.

#749 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Smurf /forum/post/13471835

What is up with 7 & 4 HI Def channels? I can get 9 -1, 27 - 1,2,3, and 29-1, 33 -1, I live out in country part of lake city, morestown are. I can recieve channel 7 chrystal clear. Seems like there draging there heals. I know I got direct TV HI Def DVR and Don't see no HI Def local Available unless you use and arieal antena. Good thing I only pay $10 a month for basic HI Def and love it every channel of it. Can't wait till more Competition of HI Def lowers the prices and then I will upgrade the HI Def packages.
The Pitchure is well worth it.

Check http://www.tvfool.com for your address. You're quite a distance from WPBN's tower on M-72 in TC and it's not line of sight (LOS). They will be using their Harrietta tower (currently analog) for digital broadcast after the cutoff next year, so that should help you. TVFool hasn't updated their site yet to show this, though.

#750 ·
I am new here. Does anybody know what the 4 new HD channels are that will be adding to the Charter HD lineup? I know 1-of-4 HD channel(s) and it is The Weather Channel HD. I am hoping that 2 of the other 3 HD channels are USA Network HD and Sci-Fi HD. I hate watching WWE Monday Night RAW and ECW on Sci-Fi in the SD format because to me there are still moments that some of the action gets cut off from the SD feed. I haven't been able to find any information on what the new HD channels that are coming to the Traverse City-Cadillac Charter Area.

#751 ·
I've heard rumblings of HGTV-HD and Food-HD. Charter has deals with a bunch of networks though, it could be anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.