#1 ·
Currently looking at Panasonic's TH-50PZ85U

Basically I need a TV that...

1) Little To No Lag (most important!)

2) No Motion Blur

3) Great Contrast Ratio

4) 1080P

5) Multiple HDMI Inputs

6) No Burn-In (not really a problem though)

Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
The TV you're looking at is the one I bought. It works great for games. Amazing for blu ray and has very little input lag for guitar hero.

Go get it and enjoy.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gunner /forum/post/13644297

Although if you're a "hardcore" gamer, you might want to just get one of the new Sammy LCD's.

He did say he didn't want motion blur and LCD tvs are infamous for just such a thing. As a matter of fact the Sammys are known for this very thing. I would stick with a plasma for gaming and not worry about IR. As long as you turn your settings out of torch mode, you should be fine.

#5 ·
I have the 50pz85u, and other than phosphor trails, which I barely notice anymore, it has been great for playing COD4. Spent about 4 hours (eek!) playing last night, and I noticed a faint hint of IR in places, but after about 5-10 seconds on a full screen program, it was completely gone. There is no motion blur that I see, at least with this game. Don't notice any input lag, but I don't have a way to test it.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/13644929

Just a thought, but the 5080 and 1150 768P sets from Pioneer are options as well even though they are 768p and not 1080p.

They seem to suffer from less phosphor lag as well.

I agree. Look at the 768p Pioneers. 1080p is not nearly as important as TV manufacturers would like you to believe.

#10 ·
I have been playing ES4 Oblivion for about 5 hours every night for the last week or two and it only takes about 30 minutes of normal content to get rid of the IR, and Oblivion has a static cross hair and life bars on screen 98% of the time. I am trying to play trough all the guild quests (already did several so I knew what the loot was and I am now replaying them at a much higher level than my first playthrough) so I still have quite a ways to go (completed the thieves guild up to the boots, and I am working on the Dark Brotherhood right now, then onto the fighter's guild)

I have had zero burn-in problems and after I am done with all the quests I will post on my results with burn-in. (I don't expect any, but this is probably the best stress test that a normal person might put a plasma through so it should be a good indication of how the average plasma responds to lots of static bars)

#11 ·
honestly if your a hardcore gamer...no big TV's are the way to go...you have to move your eyes to much..smaller screens around 20" to 24" are the best and make sure you get one with a low response time....8ms response times and higher (black to white) are horrid for shooters that require accuracy and timing (they're prolly fine for games like CoD though where aiming isnt a big deal)

#14 ·
i have a Samsung PN50A450 and i am a really avid gamer, i Play FPS like halo 3, cod4 ,gears and other games that require quick split second reactions and i love this tv... it has a game mode that really does the trick theres NO LAG what so ever i went from a size 32" to a 50" and i love it so much better. i got this tv on sale at circuit city it costs around 1500 .

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veri7as /forum/post/13647674

thanks for all the help!!

a few of you mentioned picking up the 5080 instead of the 5085...

is the only difference between the two the resolution? and if so wouldn't you see a difference in a 50" set?

Some people might see a difference at 6 feet but not all. The 5080HD has better black levels but again right now I would go for the 85 because of factors like availability and it is a great unit!

#16 ·
Concern about Samsung LCD gaming is TBE. Also the input lag can be a problem with shooters. Samsung also suffer from flashlighting which I notice when I tested the A550 in Best Buy. Here is a good review of the 42'' Panasonic 85U:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panas...0080414104.htm

This is the UK version so IFC is not included in the US version. I think their review is pretty accurate on what most people here are saying and they provide you with a video of green phosphor trail that all plasmas suffer from. It seems 60fps content is where you see most of the green phosphor trails.

I would have already bought the 85U if not for the 800U that has 24p playback which from the UK review sounds like Panasonic can implement it properly.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmonee /forum/post/13644970

I agree. Look at the 768p Pioneers. 1080p is not nearly as important as TV manufacturers would like you to believe.

I would not buy a TV with any resolution other than 720p or 1080p for gaming, because the native resolution for games on PS3 and 360 are 720p and the native resolution for Blu-ray disc and HD(ead) DVD are 1080p. If you get a 768p set you will be sentenced to scaling everything output from PS3 and 360 for all eternity whereas if you get a 720p or 1080p set, you will be able to view SOMETHING in native resolution, either games or hi-def movies.

#19 ·
Sentenced?

Please, almost all games are 720p and I bet you to find a 720p display that can even touch a Kuro.

More information being scaled down isn't that bad at all.

Now as far as the select 1080p games, sure if you are within say 7' a Pioneer 1080p would be benficial....but if you are ~8'/9' or further basically no difference.

This arguiment is about as pointless as someone saying, "How could you not get a 1080p?"

Maybe because resolution is far from everything or even the most important thing.

Overall PQ is what matters, no?

If we can agree yes, then I dare you to find a 1080p non Pioneer that makes 1080p or 720p games look as good let alone better than my 768p Elite 1150HD that is currently out on the market.

OP....that said, you would love the 85U, but it is not what I would reccomend.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veri7as /forum/post/13651043

ok so i went to BB to look at the 5085 and after some talking down i got him to a $1750 price...he said i could think about it...

...should i even hesitate at this price or try and talk the 5080 down?

I find it hard to believe that you got someone down that low on a 50pz85. If you did, jump on it and let me know how you did it, please. If you are talking about the Samsung 5084, that is still a good price, and I'd consider it, but would likely spend a couple hundred more for the Panasonic 50PZ85.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkidu77 /forum/post/13651471

I find it hard to believe that you got someone down that low on a 50pz85. If you did, jump on it and let me know how you did it, please. If you are talking about the Samsung 5084, that is still a good price, and I'd consider it, but would likely spend a couple hundred more for the Panasonic 50PZ85.

if that's the case i'll pick it up tomorrow and scan the receipt to show you if its that good of a deal :p

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veri7as /forum/post/13651492

if that's the case i'll pick it up tomorrow and scan the receipt to show you if its that good of a deal :p

Cool....maybe I can use that as a bargaining chip at my local BB.

Seriously, what did you do or say to get him that low? Do you have pictures of him doing illegal or immoral things? That is 750 bucks less than the price listed on BB.com.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkidu77 /forum/post/13651514

Cool....maybe I can use that as a bargaining chip at my local BB.

Seriously, what did you do or say to get him that low? Do you have pictures of him doing illegal or immoral things? That is 750 bucks less than the price listed on BB.com.

Speak to a manager at BB and negotiate. I coached a member who asked me that very same question and he bought his 5080 just $50 more than that PLUS got a free Sanus mount valued at $170 and I believe free delivery as well. I negotiated a similar deal but mine was bit more complex and involved several different products and services. BB managers have a great deal of leeway on pricing. The discount shows up as "valued customer" on the receipt. 5080's are bascially on clearance now, even if they are not advertised as such. Dealers have incentives to clear their stock.

P.S. You local BB store and BB.com are seperate organizations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.