AVS Forum banner

Panasonic DMR-EZ47V: DVD/VCR recorder with ATSC (digitl), QAM(digitl) & Analog Tuners

179K views 639 replies 126 participants last post by  Zudrick007 
#1 ·
The Panasonic DMR-EZ47Vis a DVD/VCR recorder with a ATSC (digital) tuner as well as QAM("cable digital") and analog tuners (warehouse [Costco or Sam's Club] derivative model, DMR-EZ475ZK, is apparently the DMR-EZ47V with HDMI cable in the box).

I've read two good/okay reviews of the Panasonic DMR-EZ47V. They are notes 17 & 18 linked at: Wikipedia under DVD_recorder (Comparison of 2007 ATSC DVD recorders.) I read one bad review regarding the DMR-EZ47V 1080p up-converting (at Amazon under Panasonic DMR-EZ47VK Up-Converting 1080p DVD-Recorder/VCR Combo with Built In Tuner). Fastexas and I already discussed this in the Panasonic DMR-ES45VS Thread, but I'd like to start a separate thread that is more visible to everyone and to continue the feedback on this unit, which has an appealing price at the warehouses. Fastexas also gave this unit a thumbs-up, finding it to be an excellent DVD player through his Samsung t5054 plasma, as well as a "good" VCR for his old tapes. He also compared it to the Oppo 980 and felt they were comparable, however, he did not get to check the Panny's1080 up-converting.

Others say they would not get any first generation DVD recorders with an ATSC tuner.

#452 ·
What I found odd was that to get the "extra" 7 min. I needed to reformat the RAM on my EZ machine and then record it on my ES machine. It didn't work the other way around.

Also a new Panny RAM disc displays 2:07min SP on either machine but again after reformatting would only display 2hrs(unless I did above).

I understand what you mean about VBR though. The 7 min. has to be coming from somewhere and it's probably the buffer. I've read posts by some saying they didn't like Panny's because of their large buffer. Apparently some DVDR's don't have as large a buffer for realtime recording and use more of the available disc space for programs.

I don't look at my discs on a PC so I never see it.

I've also read Panny's w/hdd allow extra time/disc in HS copy. I suppose because they know exactly how much is going on the disc and don't have to worry about the buffer.

#453 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/13581541

What I found odd was that to get the "extra" 7 min. I needed to reformat the RAM on my ES machine and then record it on my EZ machine. It didn't work the other way around.

Also a new Panny RAM disc displays 2:07min SP on either machine but again after reformatting would only display 2hrs(unless I did above).

It's not that the format is any different. There must be a flag on the disk, or something, that gets reset. We noticed this with RAM disks on the Panasonics's a couple years ago. A RAM formatted in an older Panasonic ( i.e. the E-85) displayed 2:00 recording time. If the RAM was then accessed on a PC with a RAM editing program (Panasonic's DVD Movie Album) the time increased to 2:07. The numbr of bytes avilable on the disk and listed in the dubbing menu did not change, just the estimated recording time listed on the display.

#454 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/13580369

Let me add to the extra minutes talk. I just noticed the other day if I reformat a RAM disc in my EZ-28 it will give me 2hrs even, but if I record say 15 seconds on the EZ machine then put the disc in any of my ES machines(ES15, ES25, ES30) it will show 2:07-2:09 min left.

Now if I reformat the same RAM disc in the ES machine I only get 2hrs even. Also with the exception of the RAM discs I must actually record a little to the disc on the EZ machine, to actually get extra "reported" time on the ES machines. For the RAM discs just formatting the disc in the EZ machine gives me 2:07 on the ES machine.

Very odd. This does not work for +RW discs, but does work for -RW and -R discs(I don't have any new +R's to try).

Don't ask me why
but it's very consistent. I'll play with it more to actually see if this is actually "real" time or just "reported" time.

I feel a little embarrassed. After playing around a little more this morning I found in my first report I switched around the ES and EZ models. It's actually if I record on the "EZ" machine that I get extra time on the "ES" machine. I was wrong on my OP and have corrected it. Sorry for any confusion.

I also found(contrary to my first report) that I can get extra "reported" time on -R's and -RW's, not +RW's(I don't have any new +R's to try). To actually get extra "reported" time on -R's and -RW's I must actually record a little on the EZ machine, to get it to show up on the ES machine.

I hope I haven't confused too many people
I think I finally got it straight myself

As posted above I'll try and verify if the time is "real" or just "reported" on the ES machines. It would be nice to get a little more that 2 or 1 hr. even on my ES machines. Some TV programs run a few min. long and with the extra few min. I would not have to resort to FR, if that matters in the least.

Again sorry for the inaccurate first post. With all my different machines, switching discs between them, it can get complicated
I believe the posts to be accurate now(if not in the wrong thread). How did we ever get talking about extra time in the EZ-47 thread
oh well, one thing leads to another

#455 ·
I've searched through this thread and haven't found (or understood) an answer to the question....

Does this player output SD resolution material (VHS/DVD/QAM) at 720p/1080i resolutions out of the Component Video output? Also, does the player output HD QAM channels in 720p/1080i out of the Component Video outputs?

Here's an excerpt from the website description that shows it should...

#456 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrtoo /forum/post/13588149

Does this player output SD resolution material (VHS/DVD/QAM) at 720p/1080i resolutions out of the Component Video output? Also, does the player output HD QAM channels in 720p/1080i out of the Component Video outputs?

The EZ-47 will output a maximum of 480p out of the component outputs. All up-converting DVDR's only do so through the HDMI output. No recorder passes through a hi-def signal. The tuner will down-scale all input to 480. It will up-convert the down-scaled 480 to 720 or 1080 for output through the HDMI port, only.

edit: It appears the new EZ-x8 series upconverts over component.

#459 ·
On my EZ-28 I can upconvert over component. Just doesn't look like Component and HDMI at the same time.

I would assume??? the EZ-47 would be the same.

I just tried it and I could select any of the resolutions for the component outputs.

I'm sure the Philips 3575 I had worked the same way, meaning it could upconvert over component.

edit: I want to clarify this post. I later learned through testing that on the EZ-28 and probably EZ-48, it will not upconvert "finalized" discs over component. Of course finalized also means commercial DVD's.

#460 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/13591780

On my EZ-28 I can upconvert over component. Just doesn't look like Component and HDMI at the same time.

I would assume??? the EZ-47 would be the same.

I just tried it and I could select any of the resolutions for the component outputs.

I'm sure the Philips 3575 I had worked the same way, meaning it could upconvert over component.

Yes, you appear correct about the EZ-28 and I stand corrected. From reading the specs and your post, the EZ-x8 series can send up-converted video over component. This is new for the EZ-x8 series and makes them unique. The EZ-x7 series and all other DVDR's only upconvert over HDMI. Even Panasonic's current players only up-convert over HDMI.

#462 ·
I have a problem with my EZ-47 when recording a channel that is being broadcast in Hi-DEF. When I record it on timer recording, 1/2 the time it plays back at extreme hi-speed with no audio!!!! This has happened before and now the only thing I can do is record on the channel that is showing the same show in standard definition. I know this problem has come up before but has anyone come up with a solution?????

I am thinking that if it is an issue with the tuner in the unit and the only solution would seem to be to order a digiatl cable box from Cox and record through that but then I lose the abilty to record one show and watch another or record diffrent shows at differnt times on timer recording.

#464 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 /forum/post/13685126

rayfornario,

If your using DVD-RAM, try re-formatting the disc. I had a peculiar problem when I first got the EZ17 and re-formatting seemed to have cured. There's always the possibility your unit is defective.

I am using DVD-RW's. This deck has proven to be very unreliable when recording anything that is not standard definetion cable. I am wondering if the new decks by Panny have the same problem!

#465 ·
I can't comment on either this exact unit or recording off cable, but IMO the EZ-28 (this years model less VCR) has proven to be much more reliable than my EZ-x7 machines.

IMO all the EZ-x7 machines are unreliable. I hope they got it right with these x8 machines, so far so good. I also primarily use -RW's and record mostly HD OTA.

Check the EZ-48 thread, I don't see many problems so far, but again it's quite new.

#466 ·
Thanks for the reply. I think part of the problem after reading online is maybe to get DVD-RW. Panasonic seesm to have a preference for - discs. Their support is limited for the + discs. It might be worth a try if I can find any.

If not, I will be watching with interest any problems that crop with the EZ-28. It is a shame I didn't know they were coming out with a new model until 3 moinths after i bought this clunker!

#467 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario /forum/post/13687868

Thanks for the reply. I think part of the problem after reading online is maybe to get DVD-RW. Panasonic seesm to have a preference for - discs. Their support is limited for the + discs. It might be worth a try if I can find any.

Actually Panasonic has a preferrence for RAM disks. Their support for anything else is marginal.

#468 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario /forum/post/13687782

I am using DVD-RW's. This deck has proven to be very unreliable
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfornario /forum/post/13687868

Thanks for the reply. I think part of the problem after reading online is maybe to get DVD-RW. Panasonic seesm to have a preference for - discs.

Yes I do believe Panasonics have a preference for - discs but all of my problems with my EZ-x7 machines were timer recordings to -RW discs. Note that with all my provious Panny DVDR's I had no problems with the same -RW discs, but the x7 machines sure didn't like them. So far with my x8 machine I've had no problems with the same -RW discs, but am getting used to the advantages of RAM discs.

I wonder if you meant to get RAM ? discs, since in your first quote you said you were already having problems with -RW's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/13688944

Actually Panasonic has a preferrence for RAM disks. Their support for anything else is marginal.

I agree but previous ES Panny's and even the EZ-28, so far have not had problems with the -RW's. One thing for sure is you can't go wrong with the RAM's at least for playing back on the recorder or compatible players.

#469 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/13689078

Yes I do believe Panasonics have a preference for - discs but all of my problems with my EZ-x7 machines were timer recordings to -RW discs. Note that with all my provious Panny DVDR's I had no problems with the same -RW discs, but the x7 machines sure didn't like them. So far with my x8 machine I've had no problems with the same -RW discs, but am getting used to the advantages of RAM discs.

I wonder if you meant to get RAM ? discs, since in your first quote you said you were already having problems with -RW's?

I agree but previous ES Panny's and even the EZ-28, so far have not had problems with the -RW's. One thing for sure is you can't go wrong with the RAM's at least for playing back on the recorder or compatible players.

I made a mistake, I was using DVD+RW. You seem to know what you are talking about so I ordered some Panasonic RAM disks. Is there anything special I have to do before I record on them or do I just use them like DVD-RW's? Do they need to be formatted?

Thanks for all your help!

Ray

#470 ·
If they are video grade they will come preformatted. However I always find it comforting to format a new RAM in the machine I'm going to use it in.

#473 ·
I've never used the RAM's in a cartridge but I believe you just put them in the Panny DVDR's with the cartridge. I would imagine to play them in say a RAM compatible player you may need to remove them from the cartridge. The trays on the recorders look like they would accept something like a cartridge.

And on the +RW's, yes the few I have used search back rather odd on Panny's. Other than the search problems though I haven't had problems with them. Either -RW's or RAM's should work better for you though, along with -R's for burn once use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.