AVS Forum banner

CPS or Mack - does it matter?

111K views 884 replies 201 participants last post by  jlcvt 
#1 ·
I have a few weeks left to pick one of these guys for an EW on my 1150HD. I've already decided I want a 3-year EW so that's not the question. I'm wondering if either of these guys' Ts & Cs are any better than the other. Does one have coverage for some failure conditions that the other doesn't? Does one have more loopholes to get itself out of having to cover things? Do they both deal with factory authorized local repair centers?

I tried going through their respective fine print but it got me discombobulated real quick. Hoping others can enlighten me.

#3 ·
Yes, I have seen that. Certainly one point in favor of Mack. However, I've also read from others that the Mack may not cover damage caused by electrical surge while CPS does. Not sure if this is accurate. I do use a surge protector, but really that's no iron clad guarantee that it will stop all surges all the time. Although it certainly does help.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony /forum/post/13821257

However, I've also read from others that the Mack may not cover damage caused by electrical surge while CPS does. Not sure if this is accurate. .

I would be interested to know the differences between the two warranties. My TV is just over a week old, so I have a little time to decide what company I want to go with. I noticed that the Mack 3yr in home service plan was $90. That seems great to me compared to the $299 sears was going to charge me for a 3 year plan.

Any advice on this topic would be much appreciated.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyptony /forum/post/13821257

Yes, I have seen that. Certainly one point in favor of Mack. However, I've also read from others that the Mack may not cover damage caused by electrical surge while CPS does. Not sure if this is accurate. I do use a surge protector, but really that's no iron clad guarantee that it will stop all surges all the time. Although it certainly does help.

Tony,

That is correct. CPS covers surge protection. Your display has to be plugged into a surge protector. On the other hand, Mack will not cover your display in the event, if the cause was a power outage, even if your display is plugged into a surge protector.

CPS FAQ:

Who is Consumer Priority Service?

Consumer Priority Service was founded on the belief that consumers deserve better service. Putting the satisfaction of the consumer at the forefront of our corporate policy has driven our company to be among the very best at post sale service both on and offline. Our lineup of consumer protection products can be found at America's largest retailers as well as America's best boutique shops. Although some of our Authorized Dealers compete with each other they all share one common belief - Consumers Deserve A Better Service Provider. That is why your retailer has selected Consumer Priority service, a place where you, our mutual customer, is Always Our Priority.

Why Do I need This?

Consumer Priority Service Extended Protection plans provides you with easy protection from potentially high future repair costs. Planning ahead and taking action now can save you the stress of dealing with unqualified servicer's should your product become defective. Saving time and money is in everybody's best interests. We are here for you.

What is Covered?

CPS Protection Plans are extensions of your manufacturers' written warranty a few added bonus features. Any malfunctions that would normally be covered within the terms and conditions of the original written warranty would be covered through the life of the Consumer Priority Service Extension. Our Shield Means You're Protected.

Benefits of owning a Consumer Priority Service Plan

Zero Deductible

All CPS plans are zero deductible. This means that ALL costs associated with Parts and Labor to repair your defective product are covered. Owning a CPS service plan means you're FULLY COVERED.

Total Access

With CPS you can file a claim for repair or replacement 24 hours a day 7 days a week through our consumer network at www.cpscentral.com

In-Home Service

In-Home parts and labor protection plans provide service for your products at your home or your workplace. Contact us Toll Free at 1-800-905-0443 so that we may arrange for a convenient service time for you.

Express On-Site Upgrade

With our Express On-Site Upgrade plan you can now upgrade any of our service plans to include door-to-door service. We'll pickup your defective product from your home or workplace, repair or replace it, and return it to you.

Product Replacement Plan

Any product that plugs in or takes a battery qualifies for this program. If your product fails to operate properly under the terms of its written warranty, we will replace it, No Questions Asked!

Nationwide Service

Consumer Priority Service provides complete coverage across all 48 contiguous states.

No Lemon Guarantee

If our authorized service center determines your product to be beyond economical repair or they have unsuccessfully attempted to repair your product three times, we will replace your product.

Peace of Mind

Owning a CPS service plan virtually guarantees that you will get years of use from your product through the duration of the plan.

Mack FAQ:

Summary of coverage

# Manufacturer covers first year

# Must Have Manufacturer's Warranty of 90+ Days

# Separate Bulb Contract Available

# Service Contract Covers Manufacturer's Defects Only on Registered Equipment

# Service Contract Valid Only Within The Contintental U.S.A.

# Service Contract Will Cover Only Manufacturer Defects on LCD Screens

The TV product registered below is guaranteed to operate properly according to manufacturer's specifications for a period of 3 additional years from the expiration of the manufacturer's warranty or we shall repair same to operate properly. This service contract must be purchased within thirty (30) days of the date the equipment hereunder is purchased. You must register this warranty within thirty (30) days with Mack Camera by visiting us at our website www.mackcam.com or by calling us toll free at 1-800-252-MACK (6225) or 973-467-2291.

The equipment will be restored to proper operating condition at no charge to you (this includes warranted parts and labor for manufacturer defects). Such service, repair, adjustment of the equipment is assured the registered contract holder, provided the equipment has not been tampered with, modified, damaged as a result of liquid, grit, power surge, burn-in, impact and physically broken parts. This service contract only covers a unit malfunction. Customer maintenance is not covered. Mack Camera & Video Service reserves the right to terminate service contracts if invoices are not paid within terms or are fraudulently altered by the dealers or service contract holder.

This limited service contract applies only to the product specified herein. It does not cover lamps, wall mounts, accessory speakers, wiring, remotes, dismount, installation and additional accessories or other expenses of consequential damages.

Mack Camera and Video Service will not be liable for loss of revenues or profits, inconvenience, expense of substitute equipment, loss of incidental or consequential damages. If the unit can not be repaired by Mack Camera or the Manufacturer for manufacturer's defects, replacement will be made with the same or equivalent model based on the contracted unit current market value at our discretion. This service contract is not transferable.

This service contract is not an insurance policy or a warranty. This service contract is only valid if positive identification of the unit covered hereunder is presented at the time of service.

This service contract is only valid in the continental U.S.A.

A separate bulb service contract is available

Thanks,

Chris

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlash420 /forum/post/13821448

I would be interested to know the differences between the two warranties. My TV is just over a week old, so I have a little time to decide what company I want to go with. I noticed that the Mack 3yr in home service plan was $90. That seems great to me compared to the $299 sears was going to charge me for a 3 year plan.

Any advice on this topic would be much appreciated.

phlash420,

There is not much difference in companies. They both use authorized technicians that are certified to perform service on your display.

With CPS you will receive a warranty within 6 hours. With Mack it takes 3-7 business days.

Chris

#12 ·
Mack warranties are the cheapest. Some extended warranty companies come and go, again mack has been there since 1938. Is there anything else to really say ?? I only wish they had longer warranty plans.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrein205 /forum/post/13825728

whats the cheapest way to get either a Mack or CPS warranty???

Actually they are equal in price. It depends on how fast you need your warranty. CPS provides email confirmations to register the warranty within 3 hours. Sometimes even within 2 hours to register your display. You would receive an email confirmation from CPS through via MS Word Document. They are totally paperless, which is much better, effective, and more efficient than Mack Warranty. Mack Warranty still sends out about a 5x7 paper thin post card warranty to register your display, which takes roughly 3-7 business days. Mack is still working on becoming paperless.

Chris

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdp203 /forum/post/13826664

How about RepairMaster extended warranty?

T&C's are fairly similar to either company. Their warranties are slightly more expensive than Mack or CPS. However, their biggest advantage is that you can purchase the warranty within 3 month remaining of your manufacturer's warranty. The disadvantage is that the warranty starts from date of purchase.

Chris

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdp203 /forum/post/13826681

Is the extended warranty period start from TV purchase date, ew purshase date, or when manufature warranty expired?

I mean if I buy a TV today and purchase 3yr ew, will it give me 3yrs or 4yrs total?

Thanks,hdp.

Examples:

RepairMaster: 1 year manufacturer's warranty + 3 year Repair = 3 years total

CPS : 1 year manufacturer's warranty + 3 year Repair = 4 years total

Mack: 1 year manufacturer's warranty + 3 year Repair = 4 years total

Chris

#18 ·
CPS offers 5 year warranties...

RepairTech wanted my business badly about 6 months ago...Not sure that I want to carry them. Plus I prefer not to confuse consumers. Having Mack and CPS is enough...

Repairtech Inc. NJ, Worst company I've ever dealt with

RepairTech Inc. -Warranty scamsters

Not sure...

On a scale of 1 to 5 I give Mack a 3 to 4

On a scale of 1 to 5 I give CPS a 4.5 to 5.

CPS has great service and you and you can get through to them very easy. The transactions are smooth and painless...

Chris

#19 ·
Eveyone gets a bad review here and there. I am sure you can find bad reviews about any company out there. ( there are people on this planet that just cannot be pleased. ) Heard the same about the other warranties out there. RepairTech has been in business since 1999, they are Not scamers.

All the extended warranty companies are like any other, they are insurance companies. What is the primary goal of any and all insurance companies, do not pay claims. In the end though these extended warranty companies do the right things and not always is the process painless.

CPS e-mails us evey week, we are not interested at this time.

#21 ·
The surge issue is a waste. Just about any surge unit has a warranty for life for up to at least 10 grand. CPS covering a person against surge, when a surge unit is required is a sales gimic. In the end they are all good companies, i do not think there is a bad choice.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/13829641

The surge issue is a waste. Just about any surge unit has a warranty for life for up to at least 10 grand. CPS covering a person against surge, when a surge unit is required is a sales gimic. In the end they are all good companies, i do not think there is a bad choice.

A Waste? Its part of the feature and benefits of the warranty. BB, CC, *******'s Techshield, etc...all have surge protection included. It looks like you want to rely on the surge protector company to cover your items. I've talked with some people and in some areas where they have bad storms and many power outages. It would be hard to justify and place a service call into Monster, Belkin, etc...to have them come out and take a look at your display as result from a storm?

Chris

#23 ·
To each his own. The surge protection coverage offered by cps "is a complete sales pitch." CPS knows that the odds of a surge unit failing are slim to none since surge protectors are such a simple design.

If CPS wants to impress us offer this protection "without" a surge unit, then it is worth it. Then they are actually offering something. Not just a double warranty on something.

By the way that is what would happen if a surge unit failed from a surge unit company. Moster, Furman, ect ect would send out an adjuster and cut checks if there products fail for the larger claims, I dought they are going to take anyones word for it. I do not think the coverages writen all over the boxes for surge units for the bigger brands are scamming people (Monster, Furman, ect, ect). These maunfacturers infact know the odds of there units failing are pratically none and that is why they offer these payouts. Surge units have such a simple degin that the odds are probablly .001% for failure.

Again to each his own, key thing about extended warranties is this. "Will they be in business when we need them". Answer: Mack has been around since 1938.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davewise /forum/post/13829196

Who has actually had any experience dealing with either Mack or CPS for repairs? How were they? Any significant differences aside from the surge protection question? I'm looking to see where to possibly get an extended warranty for a plasma.

Anyone out there with CPS or Mack that had service????

#26 ·
CPS has been a pain to work with just trying to get a warranty. If they are such a pain to work with when I'm trying to give them my money I can only imagine how fun they will be if I actually had a claim. I had faxed them my invoice over a week ago trying to get some info and pricing and still nothing. Every time I call I end up waiting on hold forever.

Just my experience so far to go on has not been good with CPS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.