AVS Forum banner

The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread

2M views 15K replies 2K participants last post by  John Hooper 
#1 ·
#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPeeT /forum/post/13991388

Now, I don't wanna make you worry, but is that glass really strong enough to hold a 130lb plamsa? To me, that glass doesn't look like it has much support, and if you have too much weight in the center, the glass could shatter and you'd end up with a $4000 piece of broken electronics. Glass has no "give", it doesn't bend like wood can, it just breaks, that's why you don't see too many floors made out of it.

The top plate of the stand looks like double thickness tempered glass. It should work fine - the manufacturer should state the weight bearing capacity in their literature. I would check that figure.

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dickerso /forum/post/13991638

The top plate of the stand looks like double thickness tempered glass. It should work fine - the manufacturer should state the weight bearing capacity in their literature. I would check that figure.

Well, when I saw that picture of his stand, this thread was the first thing that popped into my head:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...72#post8246172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free /forum/post/8246172

This is a warning about the Avdeco line of plasma and TV stands.

Last fall I purchased an Avedeco HR420 TV stand for my bedroom. This stand runs about $1000, so it is definately not cheap. One of the reasons I chose this stand was that the top shelf had a "stated" capacity of 250lbs. Since I was putting my Panasonic 50PX500U Plasma on it, I wanted to make sure it was solid. Since the Panny was only 114lbs, I figured I had plenty of support for it.

All was fine for many months, and then, just last month, I happened to be sitting in the next room, when I heard a tremendous crash. I thought that a plane had hit my house, and I ran into my bedroom to see what happened.

The top shelf of the Avdeco stand EXPLODED sending shards of glass to every corner of my bedroom. Fortunately for me, I wasn't sleeping at the time, or I would have been hit by flying glass.

Amazingly, my plasma tv, fell straight down, and was resting precariously on the next two shelves. I quickly called my wife in to help me lift it off and to the ground. It is really a miracle that the plasma didn't fall over on its face.

For the last several weeks, I have been calling and e-mailing Avdeco Inc, and the online dealer Threshold Concepts, but have recieved no response, either via e-mail or phone call. It is obvious that both the dealer, and the manufacturer is not interested in any repeat business, or taking care of the customer. I am left with a useless tv stand and am out $1000.

Anyone considering purchasing one of these stands, even a different model, I would strongly caution you to consider a different manufacturer.

#105 ·
Holy crap!

I am sooo glad I saw that busted Tv stand. I have one very similar that I bought with my KDSR60XBR1. I think it will be very smart if I look up the wieght capacity for it before sitting my 6020 on it.

that would be the wrath of the HD gods if that happened to me. And you guys know my luck.

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebling /forum/post/13991935

Lots of people getting their 6020's... does anyone have a confirmed delivery date for their 5020 yet?

I'm probably going to order one on Monday, and I'm wondering if I can have it in house by the the weekend.

No date for mine yet...I heard that Pioneer only ships once a month, so don't expect the 5020s until end of June.

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob /forum/post/13991787

PICTURES !!!!

The masses are waiting

bob

Someone should make a new Official Kuro Pictures Thread once the panels really start rolling in.

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by botcher /forum/post/13991422

Good Afternoon,

I was planning on buying a Panasonic 65PZ750 when my dealer told me he just received his order of Kuros, so home I came with a PDP-6020FD. Spent all afternoon and evening Saturday hanging an Omnimount wall bracket and getting the panel up on the wall...

Anyway, I started playing with the set this morning, and when I got to the sound menu and started adjusting things, I found that the left side of the speaker bar only emits a little bit of high frequency range, like that of a tweeter, while the right side sounds perfect and full range. Not sure if it was the speaker bar or the tv's audio output amp, I flipped the right and left speaker leads to the back of the tv. Right side sounds fine either way; left side always sounds bad, so I believe the speaker itself is the culprit, with a bad driver on the left side.

Or, am I mistaken, and is this new 6020 series speaker bar really a single channel speaker with the left and right feeds driving low and high frequency sections separately to give some sort of effect?

Can another owner go into their sound menu, and while playing an active channel, fade between the right and left side and see if there's any difference?

Anyone ever have a similar problem with a 6010? Will Pioneer just ship me a new speaker rather than having to haul the whole thing back?

Thanks

Botcher.

Sounds like you t/s the problem correctly. Take the speaker back to your dealer and swap it, let the dealer deal with the problem.

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkandra /forum/post/13990900

How would you identify stuck pixels on the screen?

You will see the pixel as one color such as red. It never changes- thus stuck.

I realize I am in the few to have such luck with stuck pixels. And yes- I do count five. Not a cluster but they are there. Pioneer sent someone out. They gave me a disc to run. I tried. It did nothing. I called Pioneer back and they told me the set was within spec. I pleaded with the support woman- who was actually quite rude and she would not budge an inch no matter how much I complained. I was very surprised by the treatment I got. I expected more from Pioneer. I didn't want my money back- just a replacement.

If I had bought from BB or Circuit City I think I would have had better luck getting an exchange. Buying online- I got a great price- but I also got stuck. (pun intended)

Anyway- it's been a year. And it's still a fantastic television.

I would still consider Pioneer in the future- just would not buy online.

#112 ·
My dad has that exact same glass stand, and he has a 60" SXRD sitting on it. It hasn't been a problem at all. I help him set the thing up. Now, I can't remember how much the 60" SXRD weighs, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPeeT /forum/post/13991388

Now, I don't wanna make you worry, but is that glass really strong enough to hold a 130lb plamsa? To me, that glass doesn't look like it has much support, and if you have too much weight in the center, the glass could shatter and you'd end up with a $4000 piece of broken electronics. Glass has no "give", it doesn't bend like wood can, it just breaks, that's why you don't see too many floors made out of it.

Stands made out of wood are a much better choice in my opinion, because the wood will have a lot more give to it. It's what I've always used for my +150lb CRTs.

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberwolf10014 /forum/post/13989336

I would 'assume' the 2.0 would allow me to update Firmware for the Blu-ray itself ... but would it also allow me to update Firmware for a connected Pioneer Receiver and Display?

Probably not. Then again, we really will not know till they all come out and we can hook them all up.

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist3 /forum/post/13993977

What's up with this thread? Nobody has their 6020's yet? This thread should not have been started until the owners had reviews/pics to post.

Agreed. This is a pointless thread. All of this stuff belongs in the discussion thread.

Perhaps a "real owner" could start a "real real owners" thread with a review and some pictures?

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes /forum/post/13992429

You will see the pixel as one color such as red. It never changes- thus stuck.

I realize I am in the few to have such luck with stuck pixels. And yes- I do count five. Not a cluster but they are there. Pioneer sent someone out. They gave me a disc to run. I tried. It did nothing. I called Pioneer back and they told me the set was within spec. I pleaded with the support woman- who was actually quite rude and she would not budge an inch no matter how much I complained. I was very surprised by the treatment I got. I expected more from Pioneer. I didn't want my money back- just a replacement.

If I had bought from BB or Circuit City I think I would have had better luck getting an exchange. Buying online- I got a great price- but I also got stuck. (pun intended)

Anyway- it's been a year. And it's still a fantastic television.

I would still consider Pioneer in the future- just would not buy online.

Buying online in and of itself won't ruin you. Amazon will allow you to return it if unsatisfied and the manufacturer is less than helpful.

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCanHD /forum/post/13994089

Considering there are a very limited number of real owners yet (and at that of only the 6020) and most of them aren't on the AVS forum, maybe you can just relax and be patient. If you don't like this thread, no one's making you read it.

There is "The Official 9G Pioneer GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread" for all these off-topic posts. This is "The Official Pioneer 9G OWNER'S Discussion Thread."

I just wasted 25 minutes fast scrolling through this thread trying to find something that was actually on topic. There was very little ... which is OK and to be expected at this early stage.

Here we should see posts ONLY from:

1 - Actual 9G Pio owners

2 - People who are asking those owners questions

3 - People who are commenting or asking questions on the above posts

But, why do I even try? .... It's like herding cats. Now I'll probably have to suffer more off-topic posts admonishing me for my off-topic post. And the beat goes on ....

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKDog /forum/post/13986621

Please provide your basic subjective experience FWIW.

The buzzing was a deal breaker for many here on the 8G's.

The buzzing did not bother most people, or was not present at a noticeable level on most units it seems, but the number of people who it did impact the viewing experience was not insignificant.

There will be some noise out of back of set. Nobody really cares about this.

This is not really what the problem is.

Then there may be some hum/buzzing out of the front panel. This is what bothered some people in some environments.

For most people it was directional (you could only really hear it if you sat at eye level in front of set). It could be heard up to 15 feet or so for most people in a quiet room.

For some people (me) it was diffuse as well as directional. I could hear it as the picture brightness changed from over 20 feet away anywhere in the room.

As for how loud is an issue-this is obviously subjective.

I could hear it pretty easily if the volume was low and there was not other ambient noise present (heater or AC). For example, if watching a newscast at low volume or any source at no volume, it could be heard by everyone who came to my house without any real effort.

If the volume was turned up in any source, though, it was not really audible.

Thanks for your input.

My first reaction to you acknowledging that there is buzzing is that it is the same as the 8G's. Likely not an issue for most people.

Sorry for the late reply, been working all weekend on trying to get my room finished so this thing can go up permanently. Anyhow, concerning the buzzing, it really is subjective. One thing that I can say is sitting back about 8ft with volume down very low, it's not noticeable at all. Only when volume is muted is when you can hear it. It does not get louder when muted. It's really hard to tell who can or can't tolerate the noise level. I will try to see if i can go check out a 8g and compare the difference.

Will try to report back ASAP.

-D

Hope to get my room done tonight so i can play with it more!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.