AVS Forum banner

Is 10 feet too close for 120 inch screen at 1080p???

54K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  erkq 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I was just looking for some feedback here. I've recently purchased another home and will be building another theater... The room is already "built". I'll try to explain it as best I can here. The room is on the 2nd floor over a 3 car garage. The floor space of the room is 20'6" wide (across the screen wall) and 19'4" long (from the entry to the screen wall) with a max ceiling height of 11 feet. There is a hip roof that angles in 3 of the walls. The 2 side walls begin a 45 degree slope to the ceiling at about 5 feet high. The screen wall begins a 45 degree slope to the ceiling at about 3 feet high. Now, the angled walls are perfect for the pyramid I plan on turning the room into, but I lose space in the room because of them. The side walls are no issue at all. It's the screen wall that is forcing some issues and decisions. If I leave the screen wall where it is set up for now, using the riser calculator dimensions (my riser is set at 13 inches because of how the entry comes into the room), I lose about 46 inches of depth in the room because of the screen and where it needs to be placed. Which puts the first row of seating about 10 feet from a 120" screen and the second row at 15.5 feet away. The measurements using the calculator are as follows:

Bottom of screen to the floor: 28 inches

Top of screen height: 87 inches

Floor space (depth) lost to the screen and wall angle: 46 inches

Riser depth (to accomodate a couch): 5.5 feet

Distance from screen to first row seated eyes: 10 feet

Is this too close to a 120 inch screen from the first row? I will be utilizing a 1080p projector.

See less See more
#2 ·
Short answer for a long question....not likely. But, it does depend on your projector. Not all 1920x1080 projectors have the same pixel fill so they may become more apparent.

I would be more worried about your source. If you plan to watch a lot of SD, it may not look all that good with that size. If HD, you should be okay (although it will be HUGE).

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_zilla /forum/post/14350898

Hi guys,

I was just looking for some feedback here. I've recently purchased another home and will be building another theater... The room is already "built". I'll try to explain it as best I can here. The room is on the 2nd floor over a 3 car garage. The floor space of the room is 20'6" wide (across the screen wall) and 19'4" long (from the entry to the screen wall) with a max ceiling height of 11 feet. There is a hip roof that angles in 3 of the walls. The 2 side walls begin a 45 degree slope to the ceiling at about 5 feet high. The screen wall begins a 45 degree slope to the ceiling at about 3 feet high. Now, the angled walls are perfect for the pyramid I plan on turning the room into, but I lose space in the room because of them. The side walls are no issue at all. It's the screen wall that is forcing some issues and decisions. If I leave the screen wall where it is set up for now, using the riser calculator dimensions (my riser is set at 13 inches because of how the entry comes into the room), I lose about 46 inches of depth in the room because of the screen and where it needs to be placed. Which puts the first row of seating about 10 feet from a 120" screen and the second row at 15.5 feet away. The measurements using the calculator are as follows:

Bottom of screen to the floor: 28 inches

Top of screen height: 87 inches

Floor space (depth) lost to the screen and wall angle: 46 inches

Riser depth (to accomodate a couch): 5.5 feet

Distance from screen to first row seated eyes: 10 feet

Is this too close to a 120 inch screen from the first row? I will be utilizing a 1080p projector.

That setup presents a 1:1 viewing ratio. The PJ should be more than up to task as most don't exhibit objectionable SDE until you are within 5 feet of a screen that size.

But, can YOU handle such extreme 'up close and personal' viewing? Try 1:1 on your TV to get an idea.

#5 ·
you could always go to a theater to see if this ratio works for you

#7 ·
I think you would be at the min sitting distance.

Some like it and some don't. The pj is another variable.

LCos is more forgiving for close sitting than DLP imo.

I have a CRT and DLP and that ratio (1:1) is just too close for me but again it might be the ticket for you.

#8 ·
I'm with Tryg. Go to a movie theater early. Walk across in front of the screen and count your paces. Then try to 'pace' up the steps until you are the same distance from the screen as the screen is wide. Sit there and see if you feel overwhelmed. If you don't, you are good to go. If you do, back up a bit until you feel comfortable.

I'm setting my room up for 12' front row from a 10' wide 2.35:1 screen. My wife thinks that might be too close for her, so she can have the back row!

#9 ·
Thanks guys... In my current theater, my eyes are at 11.5 feet for a 106 inch screen... I guess I could do the math on how far to sit from my current screen to approximate what it would be like at 10 feet for a 120 inch screen... right now, though, it's not overwhelming at all and I use a 720p DLP projector. I watch HD content almost exclusively in the theater... DirecTV (now and there) and Blue Ray in the new place.

#10 ·
If I have to move back, it's either go with a smaller screen, which I don't want to do in a room that size, or change the screen wall, which I had hoped to save due to the pre-wiring in place. Changing the screen wall would also cause some more labor in building the "pyramid" I plan on doing.

#14 ·
I prefer to be a little farther back (as does my wife). Everyone is different. I sit 14' from 106" diag screen (RS-1 @ 1080p)

and wouldn't want to be 1 inch closer.

Another reason I prefer to sit a little farther back is I don't like to be "on top" of my front speakers. They seem to provide better "imaging" from a little farther back.

#15 ·
I sit 1:1 on 127 inch wide 2.35 screen - its not an issue for anyone who has sat there. You are projecting 2 rows - sit in the second row if its a problem and stick the kids/bozos like me in the front row.

What would be of concern to me (unless you are planning recliners) is the height off the floor for the first row eyeline. Ergonomically we view objects at about 15 degrees below the horizon. It has been recommended that eyeline for the first row should be about 1/3 of the screen height. I don't like looking up and hate recliners so my screen is lower than even this rule of thumb. This is likely over thinking the process and is likely not an issue for most. As I said I'm with the bozos on this bus.

ted

#17 ·
My last set up was around 1.2 x SW with a scope screen and that seemed very watchable. I'll be trying 1:1 in my new cinema room once it's built though.

John brings up an interesting point - some time ago I was wondering how close you had to be sitting before the center speaker started to become noticeable, inasmuch as the audio wasn't coming from the screen but from below it. I've asked here before but no-one had an answer. Even at 1.2 seating distance I never once found the audio/video tie up to be an issue. Perhaps when watching an AT screen the difference will become noticeable and an AT will be preferred, but perhaps at 1:1 you may be at the point where the speaker(s) need to be behind the screen.

Any one any thoughts on that?

Gary

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Lightfoot /forum/post/14352926

My last set up was around 1.2 x SW with a scope screen and that seemed very watchable. I'll be trying 1:1 in my new cinema room once it's built though.

John brings up an interesting point - some time ago I was wondering how close you had to be sitting before the center speaker started to become noticeable, inasmuch as the audio wasn't coming from the screen but from below it. I've asked here before but no-one had an answer. Even at 1.2 seating distance I never once found the audio/video tie up to be an issue. Perhaps when watching an AT screen the difference will become noticeable and an AT will be preferred, but perhaps at 1:1 you may be at the point where the speaker(s) need to be behind the screen.

Any one any thoughts on that?

Gary

Your imaging would change with where you sit and will degrade if too close due to much angle with the fronts. But what is more important are the nulls and peaks in the room which can be corrected by damping and traps and EQ only to some extent. You hardly can ever flatten an in-room response so make sure sitting distances are correct.

As a general very basic rule one should avoid the 1/2,1/4 ..etc. in either orientation.

AFA imaging that has also to do with the speakers/pro/amp and source as well and need experimentations to get it right.

#20 ·
One thing that I have found from being in the business for so long...most people underestimate the impact of a large screen. What do I mean? Well, when one says a 10' screen, it doesn't sound that big in a way. But when they actually see one that size in their house...often it is more impactful (is that a word?) then they thought. So, in a nutshell...try to get an idea before you jump in to be safe. Screens are almost always final sale as they are custom.

#21 ·
One also has to consider the seating. We have one row of seating 16 feet wide. Any closer and the folks sitting on the ends would not have as good a viewing experience due to the angle. As it is, every seat is a good seat at our current eye to screen distance. If your seating is not as wide, you could probably move a little closer. But beware of eye fatigue etc. from sitting too close. Some people complain about headaches and fatigue from DLP's, but i think that sitting too close to too big a screen can produce the same negative effect no matter what the projector. Especially with " run and gun " shot movies with too much hand held camera work!!

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/14353084

So, in a nutshell...try to get an idea before you jump in to be safe. Screens are almost always final sale as they are custom.

I always suggest using painter's tape to outline exactly where the screen would be mounted. It helps in a variety of aspects including sight lines.

#23 ·
The room is already built, I'll just be modifying it. The front row will be theater recliners (probably 6) and the second row will be a couch and 2 individual, non-reclining Egyptian "throne" chairs. 7 feet high Egyptian columns all around the room complete with hyroglyphics, two 8 feet high statues of Anubis and two 6 feet high sarcophagi of King Tut (which I use for DVD storage). Above the height of the columns, I plan to build a "pyramid" to make you feel as though you are actually in a pyramid. The top of the pyramid will house an opening for the IB sub (although I may have to move this closer to the screen depending on the final placement) and a fiber optic starfield. Definitive Technology bi-polar speaker towers for the front left and right... Def Tech CLR 3000 for the center.. Def Tech BPX surrounds. 7.1 configuration. Infinite Baffle Subwoofer installation (Eight 15" Dayton IB drivers driven by a Behringer EP-2500). Pioneer Elite receiver. Acoustical treatments throughout hidden behind fabric. I don't think the speaker proximity will be an issue, especially with bi-polars.

#24 ·
What would be the ramifications if I "cheat" the height of the screen closer to the floor about 6 inches? That would get me to 10.5 feet from the screen. That would put the bottom of the screen 22 inches from the floor and the first row eye line at about 1/4 of the way up the screen with the back row eye line at about the midway point of the screen.

#26 ·
Could I get away with placing the bottom of the screen 16 inches from the floor? That would place the eye line of the first row of seating about 1/3 of the way up the screen and the 2nd row would be just higher than midway up the screen... And give me 11 feet from the screen to the first row, moving me up to a 1.3 ratio... Is that screen too low? especially for the back row?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.