AVS Forum banner

*Official* Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 thread

Tags
asus nvidia
1M views 10K replies 665 participants last post by  garethk1979 
#1 ·
I think it's coming soon. ASUS usually doesn't have a hint of product info until right before the release:
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=25&l2=150
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...55&modelmenu=1
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1...55&modelmenu=2

No drivers yet though.

Any thoughts on when this is pop out of ASUS?

Has anyone else noticed the added product page? I'm almost certain that by now, the 4000-series ATI cards will have only limited LPCM with no PAP and so no different than the analog I'm using now.

#29 ·
I think I'll be a 2nd wave adopter... let everyone try it and report back! I was a first wave on Omaura and that didnt work out to well

#31 ·
I'm anxious for this to hit the shelves. I just picked up an Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P preamp/processor that can handle all of the latest HD audio formats with HDMI 1.3a switching. I'm dying to watch my Blu-Ray rips with HD audio on my HTPC. Since I can use HDMI directly I won't need the analog out daughter card.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/14427911

I'm anxious for this to hit the shelves. I just picked up an Onkyo Pro PR-SC885P preamp/processor that can handle all of the latest HD audio formats with HDMI 1.3a switching. I'm dying to watch my Blu-Ray rips with HD audio on my HTPC. Since I can use HDMI directly I won't need the analog out daughter card.

Way to go, welcome to the club

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/14427911

Yeah I'm getting the non-daughterboard (non-deluxe) edition as well. I don't have any need for analog on an HDMI card.

I am slightly concerned about the width of this thing. Hopefully it respects it's boundaries and won't encroach on the mammoth nvidia 8800gtx video card.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahd /forum/post/14427238

I think they're good odds you'll be disappointed. The card looks to be about the same length as a graphics card.

So I'm guessing it'll be hovering around the 8 inch mark. The Auzentech HDMI card looks to be a little over half the length though, so that's the alternate option.

Yeah looks like it will be close to my 8" length limit. I was able to fit an Asus 3650 with the huge passive heatsink in my case. It was right at 8". Really hoping I can fit this card in too. Will have to wait until someone has one and can post the exact length.

Thanks for the pictures.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahd /forum/post/14427238

this is a god-awfully big pill for an HTPC case to have to swallow (literally) for bitstreaming! So much for a microATX case for my HTPC if I want bitstreaming for now. Oh well, I'll probably get it until my G45 motherboard ever gets bitstreaming/PAP, "just because" I really want bitstreaming.

To think, we finally reached the point now where we no longer need a separate graphics card for flawless Bluray playback (with powerful IGP's stuffed nicely underneath the northbridge heatsink) and now we take a step back again from being able to have as small an HTPC case as possible by having a giant audio card to be able to get bitperfect audio. I realize this card's bitstreaming crown will probably be short-lived; that the IGP's of motherboards will slowly gain PAP compatibility with Cyberlink/Corel/Arcsoft, but still.

By the way I love how some of these 'foreign' companies overuse the word "unprecedented" - seems to keep popping up. I just bought a gaming case that had on the box as a feature "unprecedented mid-case fan!" Now when I show my friends the case, I say "and this is the unprecedented mid-case fan".

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by odditory /forum/post/14431455

this is a god-awfully big pill for an HTPC case to have to swallow (literally) for bitstreaming! So much for a microATX case for my HTPC if I want bitstreaming for now. Oh well, I'll probably get it until my G45 motherboard ever gets bitstreaming/PAP, "just because" I really want bitstreaming.

To think, we finally reached the point now where we no longer need a separate graphics card for flawless Bluray playback (with powerful IGP's stuffed nicely underneath the northbridge heatsink) and now we take a step back again from being able to have as small an HTPC case as possible by having a giant audio card to be able to get bitperfect audio. I realize this card's bitstreaming crown will probably be short-lived; that the IGP's of motherboards will slowly gain PAP compatibility with Cyberlink/Corel/Arcsoft, but still.

By the way I love how some of these 'foreign' companies overuse the word "unprecedented" - seems to keep popping up. I just bought a gaming case that had on the box as a feature "unprecedented mid-case fan!" Now when I show my friends the case, I say "and this is the unprecedented mid-case fan".

Some people are never happy
I can't believe you are now complaining about the size of it after waiting all this time. LOL

I know it will fit just fine in my OrigenAE H6 as the Xonar D2 does and there is plenty of room for a GFX card and the daughterboard if I need it. I can't imagine there are many mATX cases that can take a gfx card that won't take this too?

Adam

#42 ·
Gamers build around graphics, htpc will build around this. It doesn't look longer than the graphic card. My issue is two slots for Mother and Daughter. Another board.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Choge /forum/post/14373062

Although the trend at ASUS seems to have reversed recently, once they get a product actually included in their lineup on their website Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 (as already linked to in the initial post of this thread), it isn't too long until we see it on the marketplace, however limited the availability may be. It used to be that the website was so lagging behind what was actually available, it was almost useless.

My question is (naive though it may be), what video card will sync well with this awesome audio card? Since the card is HDMI 1.3, wouldn't a compatible HDMI 1.3 GPU card be appropriate? Are there any 1.3 cards available? Asus's own EN9600GX Matrix (prolly a fairly quiet choice for an HTPC) or their EN9800GX2 (overkill, though it may be) seem to me to be great choices. I don't really believe either are 1.3 certified (but, does it really matter?).

This new Xonar card has renewed my interest in the HTPC thing, and I think I'm about ready to dive in to build another. My last was over 2 years ago, and I've kinda lost track of the whole HTPC scene, so forgive me if I seem hopelessly uninformed.

- da Choge

If you want the gaming benefits, Apparently you will need to pair this puppy with an ASUS graphics adapter.

Splendid HD Modes: -Photo, Video, Gaming (Gaming mode requires ASUS graphics card)

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/547373

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker /forum/post/14428261

Yeah I'm getting the non-daughterboard (non-deluxe) edition as well. I don't have any need for analog on an HDMI card.

I am slightly concerned about the width of this thing. Hopefully it respects it's boundaries and won't encroach on the mammoth nvidia 8800gtx video card.

I've got an Asus Xonar D2X and the HDAV1.3 appears to be the same size based on the pictures I've seen. I never actually installed the D2X in my HTPC but it appears that it will only take up a single slot. The photos show the 1.3 and the daugherboard side by side so it shouldn't interfere with your graphics card. I could be wrong but isn't the 1.3 a combo audio and graphics card? If so, then it will eliminate the need for your mammoth nVIDIA card.

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/14437333

I've got an Asus Xonar D2X and the HDAV1.3 appears to be the same size based on the pictures I've seen. I never actually installed the D2X in my HTPC but it appears that it will only take up a single slot. The photos show the 1.3 and the daugherboard side by side so it shouldn't interfere with your graphics card. I could be wrong but isn't the 1.3 a combo audio and graphics card? If so, then it will eliminate the need for your mammoth nVIDIA card.

It's not a gfx card. Though it does do video processing with it's "splendid" engine. You're probably thinking of the ati 4xxx series which was an attempt towards a combo card as you refer to it.

Everytime I see this thread bumped up, I come on hoping someone somewhere has found word of pre-ordering it or some news of actual sighting or some such news. Alas
. Soon, I suppose. I waited for so long for the denon 1909 that I'm going to pair this up with. Now I have that all setup and ready to go...just waiting on this lil gem.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymarker /forum/post/14437794

It's not a gfx card. Though it does do video processing with it's "splendid" engine. You're probably thinking of the ati 4xxx series which was an attempt towards a combo card as you refer to it.

Everytime I see this thread bumped up, I come on hoping someone somewhere has found word of pre-ordering it or some news of actual sighting or some such news. Alas
. Soon, I suppose. I waited for so long for the denon 1909 that I'm going to pair this up with. Now I have that all setup and ready to go...just waiting on this lil gem.

I'm still a bit confused as to how the audio and video are provided by the single HDMI output (but I'm getting better). I see that the HDAV1.3 has both HDMI inputs and outputs. Would it be safe to assume that the input is provided by the output of your graphics card so the video can be combined with the audio from the HDAV1.3 and output together via the HDMI out to your receiver or preamp/processor? I noticed that the card comes with a DVI to HDMI cable so I'm guessing you would use that to interconnect the graphics card and the HDAV1.3.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelEyes /forum/post/14442020

I am only going to buy it if it works with a PAP enabled PowerDVD, I can't get TMT to play anything on my current motherboard. I guess I will have a wait on my hands before someone can confirm it does work with Bitstream, Analogue and LPCM.

Then you will not be buying it anytime in the near future. Asus teamed up with Arcsoft to provide the needed hardware to software interfaces.

PowerDVD teamed up with Auzentech.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video /forum/post/14442333

I'm still a bit confused as to how the audio and video are provided by the single HDMI output (but I'm getting better). I see that the HDAV1.3 has both HDMI inputs and outputs. Would it be safe to assume that the input is provided by the output of your graphics card so the video can be combined with the audio from the HDAV1.3 and output together via the HDMI out to your receiver or preamp/processor? I noticed that the card comes with a DVI to HDMI cable so I'm guessing you would use that to interconnect the graphics card and the HDAV1.3.

You are correct. You would turn off the sound chip for your HDMI output (if you have one) of your video, connect a cable from the video out to the HDMI in of the HDAV 1.3, and connect a cable from the HDMI out of the HDAV 1.3 to your AVR / TV.

The HDAV 1.3 adds the audio to the video, does its magic to the video (if you turn on Splendid), and sends the combined stream out.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage /forum/post/14442400

You are correct. You would turn off the sound chip for your HDMI output (if you have one) of your video, connect a cable from the video out to the HDMI in of the HDAV 1.3, and connect a cable from the HDMI out of the HDAV 1.3 to your AVR / TV.

The HDAV 1.3 adds the audio to the video, does its magic to the video (if you turn on Splendid), and sends the combined stream out.

Is it possible to still use VGA for video from my current video card, and just run HDMI out from the Xonar to my receiver for audio?

With my 8500 GT to my Sammy 6187, IMO, the pq is better (and easier to get 1:1) via VGA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.