AVS Forum banner

Samsung BD-2550/BD-P2500 Master Thread

971K views 7K replies 977 participants last post by  studiozut 
#1 ·
I see that BB is now offering the Samsung 2550. I have not seen one in person and can not seem to find much info on the net about them. It looks like however that they have 7.1 analog jacks and internally processing of all the new formats. I have been waiting for the new Sony S550 and the Pioneer 51 just for that reason. If it does have the HQV as stated it looks like a nice machine, although I have seen some problems that people have with Samsungs in the past.

Anyone have any feedback on this machine?

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/14506259

Now suddenly 2550 is a bargain? LoL. My Samsung BD-UP5000 does everything 2550 does (including Reon) plus plays HD DVD as well and costs me only $449 back in March.

That was at a closeout price though for the $449. The list price is cheaper on the 2550. I'm sure the 2550 will be priced even lower once they are ready to close them out.

#57 ·
Jaggies on the Samsung start up screen logo are worse with a DVD. The unit does switch to 60fs if the unit is in 24fs mode. 60fs with a DVD is where the problem is most noticable.

With a BD, problem still there,regardless of 24fs or 60fs selected, just not as bad.

I can watch the above take place just by changing from a BD to a DVD, and vise versa...

So far, I can't say I've noticed the jaggies while viewing a movie. BD or DVD.

#60 ·
I now have the Sammy 2550. Do you have to turn the Silicon Optix Chip on or is it automatically? And by the way, when you originally put a DVD in, did you give you the black bars on the side ( similar to when your watching standard def on an HD tv )? Mine did, and I set it to stretch. Is there a better setting for this? And whats the best setting to keep it at when you watch dvds ( pertaining to sharp mode or whatever was mentioned. )

P.S. Can anyone say what the player needs to be set to, to have it bitstream the High Def Codecs? So far I only have a normal receiver so I am using optical, but I want to make sure I know everything so when I get the receiver I'll be good to go. Thanks.

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by willits /forum/post/14507269

Is the Broadcom heatsink the bottom of the case like the 1500?

Do you have more pictures?

Yes, but in the case of the 2550, both the REON and Broadcom are heatsinked to the bottom chasis. Samsung should have used a heavier gauge steel if they are going to use the chasis as a heatsink.

What pics do you want?

#63 ·
Decided to pick this player up today at BB.

I had resolved to wait for the next round of BD players since I wasn't too impressed with the new offerings from other manufacturers. I've been using my launch PS3 for both BD and DVD, and while it's performance is solid, it's become rather loud during playback.

What got me interested in the 2550 was the HQV processing; I still watch a lot of DVDs, many of which feature animation and other video based material. I've tried a number of other HD players over the last year and most struggle with detecting and properly displaying video material. I had an Toshiba HD-A1 which performed well, but it was extremely slow and somewhat flaky in reading certain discs. I briefly tried a Toshiba HD-35, but it was poor with video and still slow.

Anyway, I've only had the 2550 for a couple of hours, but so far it's been performing well. I have a Pioneer PDP-5080 as my display and a Yamaha V1800 as my AVR. I have the 2550 set to output 1080p (with 24f mode on) and audiophile bitstream on.

Here are some observations so far:

-Loads DVDs quickly; about as fast as my PS3 and much faster than any other HD player I've used.

-BDs load slower that the PS3, but faster than the other HD players I've used. I tested several BDs and the loading seemed consistent except with Batman Begins, which was slower than the other.

-DVD quality is excellent and the 2550 handles video material well. I wouldn't expect HD quality, but performance is great with no noticeable artifacting.

-The 2550 has a fan (unlike Samsung's 1500) and it stays quiet during BD playback. The unit also remains cool to the touch after several hours of playback.

-Seek noises are kinda loud during the initial loading sequence, but remain quiet during playback.

-The Samsung logo is jaggy when the player powers up, but I didn't notice any jaggies during playback.

-The player menu is pretty straight forward, I was able to have everything setup quickly.

I realize that Samsung has a poor reputation with their BD players, but I figured that this player was worth a shot, I can always take it back if anything pops up. I will continue to look for any playback irregularities or disc compatibility issues, but for now things look good.

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdon283 /forum/post/14507278

I now have the Sammy 2550. Do you have to turn the Silicon Optix Chip on or is it automatically?

It's automatically on.

Quote:
And by the way, when you originally put a DVD in, did you give you the black bars on the side ( similar to when your watching standard def on an HD tv )? Mine did, and I set it to stretch. Is there a better setting for this? And whats the best setting to keep it at when you watch dvds ( pertaining to sharp mode or whatever was mentioned. )

If you like 4:3 DVDs stay in 4:3 instead of stretched, use 16x9 Normal mode on display settings. If you have a plasma and scared to have black bars on sides, use 16x9 Wide mode.

Quote:
P.S. Can anyone say what the player needs to be set to, to have it bitstream the High Def Codecs? So far I only have a normal receiver so I am using optical, but I want to make sure I know everything so when I get the receiver I'll be good to go. Thanks.

If you use a non-HDMI 1.3 receiver and connect to your receiver using optical or coax for digital audio, set digital audio setting to Bitstream (Re-encode) mode. If you later upgraded to the new receiver, you need to set it to Bitstream (audiophile) mode. If you use analog 7.1, these settings do not matter but you do need to set up speaker sizes etc.

#66 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/14508469

It's automatically on.

If you like 4:3 DVDs stay in 4:3 instead of stretched, use 16x9 Normal mode on display settings. If you have a plasma and scared to have black bars on sides, use 16x9 Wide mode.

If you use a non-HDMI 1.3 receiver and connect to your receiver using optical or coax for digital audio, set digital audio setting to Bitstream (Re-encode) mode. If you later upgraded to the new receiver, you need to set it to Bitstream (audiophile) mode. If you use analog 7.1, these settings do not matter but you do need to set up speaker sizes etc.

Yeah I have it on 16 x 9 Wide, is this stretching the image? I just want it to be shown the way the DVD was meant to be shown. Also, anyone notice a difference when turning on the Noise Reduction DVD to high? That sounds like the ideal place to be in, since no1 ever wants noise.

P.S. When I initially first plugged in my BD-2550, everything was boxy and pixelated and blurry, so I just turned it off, and unplugged it and replugged it back in and now everything works beautiful. What could that have been? Is that common? I just got a brand new Samsung 52 inch 750 LCD and I wanna make sure nothing could be wrong with the HDMI input on it, but like I said, I replugged it back in and now everythings perfect. Possibilities? Or if anything, might it have just been the Blu Ray not feeding the source correctly originally, and would have nothing to do with my tv?

#68 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdon283 /forum/post/14508790

Yeah I have it on 16 x 9 Wide, is this stretching the image? I just want it to be shown the way the DVD was meant to be shown.

Supposedly 16x9 Normal is the mode you should be using if you want to view DVDs in its original aspect. That is, for 16x9 anamorphic DVDs, either 16x9 wide or 16x9 Normal are ok. There should be no bars on sides. Now if you have 4:3 DVDs, 16x9 Normal will show bars on sides so that it keeps 4x3 aspect ratio. 16x9 Wide will stretech 4x3 to 16x9 cause image distortion. 16x9 Normal mode is an addition Samsung newly added to 2550 because many previous Samsung BD player owners don't like watch 4x3 DVDs stretched. If you have some old non-anamorphic DVDs, you should see bars on all four sides in 16x9 Normal mode but aspect ratio is correct. If you use 16x9 wide mode on this kind of DVDs, you will stretch the image.

So, in conclusion, 16x9 wide should only be used if you don't care about keeping DVDs in correct aspect ratio and want screen filled all the time.

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iove /forum/post/14508354

Yes, but in the case of the 2550, both the REON and Broadcom are heatsinked to the bottom chasis. Samsung should have used a heavier gauge steel if they are going to use the chasis as a heatsink.

What pics do you want?

iove,

Thanks for taking the time to post pics. A close up of the Broadcom chip to settle which chip it is once and for all would be great.

#70 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kage /forum/post/14508849

For some reason the fan in this blu-ray player makes a buzzing sound that I can hear it from my viewing position. Its very annoying. My PS3 fan does not make a buzzing sound, but its louder.

I got back from Best Buy to hear if their display model has the buzzing fan sound, and it does. The store manager at Best Buy told me that the P2550's fan is louder than the other blu-ray players, because it has better video processor and it heats up quickly. He said that he is glad that Samsung put a fan in this blu-ray player than the P1500 which does not have fan. Anyway I bought their service plan in case I get issues with the P2550 and it would be easier for me to get a hold of Best Buy than Samsung.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjam /forum/post/14497678

...are you kidding us?

"New Bluray player introduced at $500 - without BD Live 2.0"

... And that the Bluray camp are still introducing players that aren't up to spec? So 2007, also.

I don't even know why I bother comment anymore, I've just given up caring, really.

Oh well.

Same sentiment exactly. Here's hoping for late 2008 batch of players.

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Shot /forum/post/14509540

Same sentiment exactly. Here's hoping for late 2008 batch of players.

Except that this player, like the Samsung 1500 and the Sony 350, will be upgradeable to BD-Live by firmware update. Also, Profile 1.1 is the Final Spec while BD-Live is optional, so these players are, in fact, "up to spec."

#73 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC /forum/post/14509116

iove,

Thanks for taking the time to post pics. A close up of the Broadcom chip to settle which chip it is once and for all would be great.

See attached.

Does anyone have Chris Botti Bluray? When I select LPCM it directs the sound to the wrong channel which is wierd.

P.S. How do I attach pics and make it viewable in thread?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.