AVS Forum banner

flickering on my Westy 42" 1080p when using component baluns

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  penngray 
#1 ·
I can not get my component video baluns to work in my one room with a 42" Westy LCD.

The same baluns worked with my old 37" LCD so why do I have problems.

BTW, I own CLabs, Intelix and Muxlab baluns so its not the type of balun because all of them flicker on that set.

#3 ·
How long is the run?

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14512355

I can not get my component video baluns to work in my one room with a 42" Westy LCD.

The same baluns worked with my old 37" LCD so why do I have problems.

BTW, I own CLabs, Intelix and Muxlab baluns so its not the type of balun because all of them flicker on that set.

If all the brands of baluns "flicker", I'd say this points toward a problem with the television. Have you tried to plug a source into it directly and not through the baluns? If the problem goes away when you plug in directly to the television, did you run your Cat5e next to power cables in the wall? Did you even use Cat 5e? What brand?

Carl

#8 ·
wow, the "Pro's" are all very helpful and knowledgeable... I am truly amazed by their professionalism...

fwiw, my westy doesn't flicker... I am running about 50' of RGBHV though, so its not really a useful comparison... I don't actually have any component baluns, so i cant try and see if mine flickers too...

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhatlost /forum/post/14518232

wow, the "Pro's" are all very helpful and knowledgeable... I am truly amazed by their professionalism...

fwiw, my westy doesn't flicker... I am running about 50' of RGBHV though, so its not really a useful comparison... I don't actually have any component baluns, so i cant try and see if mine flickers too...

Based on the information given, what do you want people to advise? The baluns worked fine with a different set and all 3 brands don't work for the budget Westinghouse set. Short of testing with a source directly connected (my advice), what else can be said short of "the set is the problem?"

Carl

#10 ·
by "Pro's" I was only referring to penngray's fan club...

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedders /forum/post/14519206

Based on the information given, what do you want people to advise? The baluns worked fine with a different set and all 3 brands don't work for the budget Westinghouse set. Short of testing with a source directly connected (my advice), what else can be said short of "the set is the problem?"

Carl

There's a bit of history here, that you might not be aware of, Carl, and I don't think somewhatlost's tongue in cheek comment was directed at you. There was a rather lengthy and at times acrimonious thread between penngray and several of the professional installers that discussed the value of their services. A few feather's were ruffled on both sides, so now they are taking their opportunity to poke a little fun back

#12 ·

Quote:
There was a rather lengthy and at times acrimonious thread between penngray and several of the professional installers that discussed the value of their services. A few feather's were ruffled on both sides, so now they are taking their opportunity to poke a little fun back

hehe, I never get ruffled life is always too good for me...but ruffling their feathers is all to easy, they are so defensive and I guess that has not changed for some (of course their service and products at huge markups have not either so...). In the end its actually sad because real men do not hold grudged over something how long ago? Here it is.....Feltch get a life, become a real man and have a beer over it all and stopping being like a woman that holds grudges for years
....life it too short to care. I hope business is still good for you though

Quote:
I am truly amazed by their professionalism...

hehe, those few on here that can not get over it are not professional, real CIs are out there working not arguing with customers online...too funny

btw, Westinghouse support is kind of a nightmare (IMO). I didnt expect much its a cheaper Flat panel that is in my office and I didnt want to run component cables.

Im re-running the cat5e next.......

#13 ·

Quote:
If all the brands of baluns "flicker", I'd say this points toward a problem with the television. Have you tried to plug a source into it directly and not through the baluns? If the problem goes away when you plug in directly to the television, did you run your Cat5e next to power cables in the wall? Did you even use Cat 5e? What brand?

Thanks Carl, Im pretty sure its the TV too but I will test other TVs again and re-run new Cat5e cables...could be something in the cable but those Cat5e cables were installed during the house build so its a little harder to re-run.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14521593

so not every FP has to be expensive .

Heresy!!! don't let anyone here at AVS here you say that

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/14521572

Thanks Carl, Im pretty sure its the TV too but I will test other TVs again and re-run new Cat5e cables...could be something in the cable but those Cat5e cables were installed during the house build so its a little harder to re-run.

If you are going to go thru the trouble to re-run the cat5e cables...just re-run and use cat6...

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer010 /forum/post/14523160

If you are going to go thru the trouble to re-run the cat5e cables...just re-run and use cat6...

or, just run component... and forget the baluns...

#20 ·
How about using the baluns and a new cat5 at the display connected to a source first to eliminate the baluns being the issue and also the display being the issue. You could also try running a cat5 across the floor instead of in the wall once you have tried the above and if the TV and the baluns both work fine at the short distance you then try the longer distance. If it all still works, THEN run the new cat5.

#23 ·
I got a 32xbr6 today and hooked it up to muxlab component video balun, i had flickering, i then ran a seperate cat 5 not in the walls about 75 ft distance and still had flickering i then hooked balun up to pioneer plasma and it worked fine with the pioneer. So i figured it had to be the tv. I then deceided to give it another try in the sony and it now worked. I have know idea what took place. Can somebody with alot of experience with baluns explain why it would not work until hooked up to another tv and then rehooked up. Well if you dont respond atleast for those with flickering there is hope.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewL78 /forum/post/14593442

I got a 32xbr6 today and hooked it up to muxlab component video balun, i had flickering, i then ran a seperate cat 5 not in the walls about 75 ft distance and still had flickering i then hooked balun up to pioneer plasma and it worked fine with the pioneer. So i figured it had to be the tv. I then deceided to give it another try in the sony and it now worked. I have know idea what took place. Can somebody with alot of experience with baluns explain why it would not work until hooked up to another tv and then rehooked up. Well if you dont respond atleast for those with flickering there is hope.

My guess is that you have a marginal Cat5 crimp or weak component connections and by sheer luck, the process of moving stuff around gave you a better connection. There's nothing inherent in hooking it up to another TV that would make the electronics start 'working'.

#25 ·
this is really weird I know the cabling is perfect and you can see from my other post I did get rid of the flickering, but today it came back when i got off work. So I unhooked both ends did alot of troubleshooting and still flickering. I then hooked it again to the pioneer downstairs and worked fine and brought it back upstairs and then it worked. Although now as i am typing i realize both times by turning on the downstairs tv i first viewed picture through hdmi and then switched the input for the balun so maybe its the direct tv h20 box. I have no clue. All i can say is i know the cabling is good so i have too wait for flickering again too start. So i can figure out if it is the h20 the baluns or the 32xbr6.

#26 ·
I solved my flickering.

But first I did all the tests even ran cat6, etc. Never solved the flickering so I decided to convert my component connection to HDMI because I noticed my HDMI connection on the Westy was simply a better connection when I used and AVR that converted component to HDMI through it.

I then search online and found this cheap but great converter!

Component Video (YPbPr) + SPDIF Audio to HDMI Converter

Part#: HDMI_CONVERTER

Manufacturer Part#: HDMI_CONVERTER

(Qty: 1 x $49.95)

All is great now

Sorry for no update, I just received the Converter this week so I have not had time to even find out if it would work.

I can also use component video balun into any AVR or pre/pro that converts component to hdmi but that TV is on my patio so nothing else is there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.