AVS Forum banner
812K views 5K replies 875 participants last post by  Quicksilv3r 
#1 ·
FAQ Starts several posts down...

Reactions: Rebound
#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/14554902

I have a Sony Es3200 AVR with HDMI in/outs that does accept audio but i think the highest bit rate is PCM 96/24 which the PS3 apparently doesn't support via HDMI. I guess i won't be able to listen to the newest Audio Codecs will I ? Does the PS# support 96/24 via coax/optical?

I assume are you talking about surround formats (e.g., Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA) and not just 2 channel stereo. The Optical out of the PS3 (and other devices for that matter), is limited to the basic Dolby Digital and DTS surround formats but can output 2 channel PCM at various standard rates including a 88.2 KHz (e.g., double the normal 44.1 sampling rate on CDs). HDMI on the other hand will result in your receiver and the PS3 doing a handshake where the AVR tells the PS3 what maximum PCM rates it can support and the PS3, when set to Auto for the audio, will select the highest data rate that it supports that is also compatible with the AVR. What is actually available out of the PS3 will also vary according to what the audio track characteristics are that is recorded on the disc i.e., sampling rate and number of bits per sample).

#78 ·
Hey guys,

Excellent thread! BB also tried to get me to buy a standalone player but on the strength of the PS3 reviews amongst various threads here, I elected to purchase a PS3 anyway.

What is the best way to bypass the previews shown before the actual movie? I do have the Sony remote control.

Thanks.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofer /forum/post/14559780

Hey guys,

............What is the best way to bypass the previews shown before the actual movie? I do have the Sony remote control.

Thanks.

Use the Chapter Forward button to advance to the next preview or movie (if the disc allows it). This will work for most discs I have tried.

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnysd /forum/post/14571200

Advanced thanks for all your help. Here's my setup: HDMI for video output and optical for audio out connected to a MainstageHD single speaker. Should I be using bitstream or LPCM?

Please read the first post of this thread... it will do you a lot of good.

You may be particularly interested in Case 5 of the sample configurations.

#87 ·
My question is two-fold really.

Part 1:

Everyone says the PS3 can't output highend DD/DTS over bitstream due to the following two ideas:

1. They haven't unlocked it via firmware

1a. Why would they NOT release one.

2. PS3 is hardware limited? If so HOW and WHY is this true?

Part 2:

If the PS3 is your only Blu-Ray player, pairing it up with a beast like 5808 for example is a complete waste? Since nothing is being decodeded in the reciever but in the PS3 and spit out LPCM. Feels like all the money you invested in is being unsed and might as well bought a 1909 or whatever.

More logical to buy a standalone Blu-Ray player for your highend receivers if you own one.

Thanks and appericate any help/input on this subject.

#89 ·
Where have you been? This has been discussed to death. Apparently the PS3 does not have the proper HDMI 1.3 chipset to bitstream the advanced lossless codecs.

But the good news is that the PS3 does decode them internally and according to Roger Dressler of Dolby Labs, it decodes them 100% accurately (at least for TrueHD). Which means you lose absolutely nothing using a PS3 as your BD player.

As for your receiver point, I agree that buying a receiver with the advanced codec decoding on board is slightly pointless if using a PS3, but:

- Most receivers from Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Sony, etc are going to offer this on newer HDMI switching receivers.

- Going with a higher end receiver results in better performance, more wattage, more features, etc.

#90 ·
codec support is not the only reason to buy a more expensive AVR. You also might need more power, want multi zone support, need more HDMI inputs, want better DACs, etc,etc,etc.

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR9 /forum/post/14575255

My question is two-fold really.

Part 1:

Everyone says the PS3 can't output highend DD/DTS over bitstream due to the following two ideas:

1. They haven't unlocked it via firmware

1a. Why would they NOT release one.

2. PS3 is hardware limited? If so HOW and WHY is this true?

Part 2:

If the PS3 is your only Blu-Ray player, pairing it up with a beast like 5808 for example is a complete waste? Since nothing is being decodeded in the reciever but in the PS3 and spit out LPCM. Feels like all the money you invested in is being unsed and might as well bought a 1909 or whatever.

More logical to buy a standalone Blu-Ray player for your highend receivers if you own one.

Thanks and appericate any help/input on this subject.

Part 1: There are a lot of posts on this and people have supposedly contacted the manufacturer of the HDMI chip in the PS3 to confirm that it did not include the necessary code to pass lossless audio via bitstream.

Part 2: I don't see why it is a waste to buy the 5808 if you have the PS3 as your Blu-Ray player. If you only bought the 5808 (or other high end AVR) for it's ability to decode HD audio, then maybe. However, the 5808 has a lot more features than the 1909 and may/may not do a better job of handling and even post-processing the PS3's LPCM stream. HD Audio decoding is just one feature that may/may not impact why you choose a specific AVR.

#92 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 /forum/post/14575356

Part 1: There are a lot of posts on this and people have supposedly contacted the manufacturer of the HDMI chip in the PS3 to confirm that it did not include the necessary code to pass lossless audio via bitstream.

Ah thanks alot, I've combed through alot of posts but never noticed that information, good to know.

#93 ·
Keep in mind that the PS3 was the very first mass market HDMI 1.3 device out there. In order to meet their aggressive schedule I suspect they worked closely with their providers to ensure that the features they needed were going to be ready, and were going to be cost effective. There simply wasn't a part on the market that supported all of the HDMI 1.3 features until well after the PS3's launch.

Since Sony knew there was enough horsepower to decode anything locally I suspect it wasn't a high priority and they were happy to ship without it. It would also be extremely difficult to validate a bitstreaming design since there wasn't anything even close to being ready to test it against.

#95 ·
PS3 uses a SiL 9132 HDMI transmitter chip and a SiL 9133 HDMI receiver chip. A couple of months before the PS3 first went on sale a press release from Silicon Image (the chip manufacturer) included the following paragraph:

Sony has indicated that the PlayStation 3 is expected to ship in November of this year with the ability to render the highest-quality video ever seen in a consumer device,” said Dale Zimmerman, vice president of marketing at Silicon Image. “The SiI 9133 receiver matches the capabilities of the PlayStation 3 and makes it possible for HDTV manufacturers to ship products this year that are capable of displaying Deep Color images, for the highest-quality gaming experience and fullest enjoyment of high-definition movies. The SiI 9134 brings these same benefits to next generation DVD players, with additional support for the latest high-quality audio formats, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Note in particular the final sentence where it says that the SiL 9134 chip, that is used in many standalone BD players, supports Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA which is an additional capabilty beyond the chips used in the PS3.

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman /forum/post/14575766

On a side note.

The new 80gig PSP without the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle is just the same o'l 40gig PS3 with a new bigger HD. That's why the price is only $399. Nothing new, just bigger HD.

Actually this is not true. The new PS3 will have the new 45nm chip as well as 45nm RSX graphics chip. Which means less power and quieter operation. I believe it also removes PS2 compatibility. I am not sure about SACD support.

There was some more detailed info around perhaps in the PS3 section.

#98 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaillar /forum/post/14581012

Actually this is not true. The new PS3 will have the new 45nm chip as well as 45nm RSX graphics chip. Which means less power and quieter operation. I believe it also removes PS2 compatibility. I am not sure about SACD support.

He's talking about the latest 80GB model that is CURRENTLY SHIPPING -- the one with only 2 USB sockets. That model is, in fact, the 40GB electronics with just the drive replaced. It is still at 280 Watts max rated power consumption (the same as the 40GB model it replaces). It does *NOT* have the 45nm parts in it. It is on the shelves now at $399 MSRP. It does not support SACD.

Don't confuse that with the immediately preceding 80GB model that came bundled with the MGS4 game, nor the 80GB model that was discontinued last January (both of which consume 100 Watts more power and have the older, hotter-running parts in them), nor with any future model not yet shipping which may (just speculation at this point) use different parts.

--Bob

#99 ·
anyone know how to get videos to preview in the xmb? on my ps3, there is a static picture that represents video files. I've seen on other ps3, where this picture is replaced with running previews for the video. thanks in advance.

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaillar /forum/post/14581012

Regardless if this new PS3 has smaller scale integration, it's the same o'l pony of tricks as the 40 gig.

Frys and Best Buy have these and Frys clearly state that they are NOT PS1/PS2 backward compatible.

I would of thought that when they came out with the MGS4 bundle 80gig and advertised backward compatibility that they would continue this trend but the MSG4 bundle was used as a bait and switch tactic to trick consumers to believe that this "new" 80gig is backward compatible with the introduction of the MSG4 bundle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.