AVS Forum banner
812K views 5K replies 875 participants last post by  Quicksilv3r 
#1 ·
FAQ Starts several posts down...

Reactions: Rebound
#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman /forum/post/14582490

Regardless if this new PS3 has smaller scale integration, it's the same o'l pony of tricks as the 40 gig.

Frys and Best Buy have these and Frys clearly state that they are NOT PS1/PS2 backward compatible.

I would of thought that when they came out with the MGS4 bundle 80gig and advertised backward compatibility that they would continue this trend but the MSG4 bundle was used as a bait and switch tactic to trick consumers to believe that this "new" 80gig is backward compatible with the introduction of the MSG4 bundle.

I don't see your bait and switch logic. They offer one model that has the additional hardware and software to provide the backward compatibility to play PS2 games, and they also offer a less expensive version without this capability. Many of us don't own a PS2 nor any PS2 games and the lower cost version is ideal for us.

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/14583780

I don't see your bait and switch logic. They offer one model that has the additional hardware and software to provide the backward compatibility to play PS2 games, and they also offer a less expensive version without this capability. Many of us don't own a PS2 nor any PS2 games and the lower cost version is ideal for us.

Let me clarify.

A couple months back, they released the new 80gig PS3 bundled with the MGS4 that is backwards compatible for PS1/2 games.

Now that those are depleated, Sony releases an 80gig PS3 with no backward compatiblity but those who heard about the MSG4 bundle 80gig PS3 being backward compatible may be mislead to believe that their new 80gig PS3(no MGS4 bundle) is backward compatible.

Oh well, I guess those who buy the new 80gig PS3 will find out hopefully sooner than later that it's not backwards compatible.

fyi-

Frys has a big disclaimer at their store about the non-backward compatiblity but other stores do not mention it.

#104 ·
When Sony announced the new 80GB back in July, they said that it would not be backwards compatible. The box also has a disclaimer stating that it's not backwards compatible. I fail to see how they're intentionally trying to mislead people (or pull a bait and switch, as you put it) by repeatedly stating up front that the new 80GB is not backwards compatible.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman /forum/post/14582490

Regardless if this new PS3 has smaller scale integration, it's the same o'l pony of tricks as the 40 gig.

Frys and Best Buy have these and Frys clearly state that they are NOT PS1/PS2 backward compatible.

I would of thought that when they came out with the MGS4 bundle 80gig and advertised backward compatibility that they would continue this trend but the MSG4 bundle was used as a bait and switch tactic to trick consumers to believe that this "new" 80gig is backward compatible with the introduction of the MSG4 bundle.
all ps3s are ps1 compatible. that emulation is all software, unlike the ps2 bc which requires the ps2 gs.

frys are obviously incompetent

#107 ·
First post here guys, sorry if this is the wrong section.

I am having some trouble getting 1080P out of my PS3 on my setup. I will give a run down of my equipment:

Sharp Aquos 42" LCD LC-42D64U

PS3

Xbox360

Onkyo tx-sr605

HDMI from PS3 and 360 to Receiver, HDMI from receiver to TV.

I've gone into the PS3 menus and tried to select 1080P output. It goes through it's blank screen test, but will not switch to 1080P. My Xbox360 is playing 1080P just fine through the same equipment. There is a "display" button on the TV remote that will tell you what resolution is being broadcast on the TV so that is what I am basing this on. I have tried switching cables and inputs but no help there.

This is what is puzzling to me. When I first set it up, it would not even switch to 1080i. I believe the highest it would go was 720P. I took the PS3 to my parents house where they have a Sony 1080i LCD. I plugged it in there and it would switch to 1080i no problem. I took the PS3 back to my house, plugged it back into my system, ran the test, and it would then play 1080i but not 1080p.

I recently bought a Samsung 40" LCD 1080p for upstairs. I took the PS3 up there and plugged it in via HDMI, but it would not output 1080p there either.

I have downloaded the lastest updates, and even updated the Sharp TV. I have talked to Sony and Sharp and neither one knows what the problem is.

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 /forum/post/14587570

From what I know PS3 is very sensitive to HDMI cables for 1080p. Make sure your cables are HDMI 1.3a certified.

In addition to trying another HDMI cable (i.e., one that specifically is listed as 1.3 certified), you could also try plugging the PS3 directly into your Sharp LCD HDTV (bypassing the Onkyo AVR) and see what happens.

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/14588873

In addition to trying another HDMI cable (i.e., one that specifically is listed as 1.3 certified), you could also try plugging the PS3 directly into your Sharp LCD HDTV (bypassing the Onkyo AVR) and see what happens.

I forgot to mention that I did try bypassing the receiver completely and wiring straight to the TV but that did not solve the problem. Is there any way to tell if my cable is 1.3 certified? I don't remember where I bought it, or even what brand it is.

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo83 /forum/post/14589263

I forgot to mention that I did try bypassing the receiver completely and wiring straight to the TV but that did not solve the problem. Is there any way to tell if my cable is 1.3 certified? I don't remember where I bought it, or even what brand it is.

Have you tried resetting the PS3 and running through the setup again? I think you do this by turning off the PS3 by the rocker switch on the back, then turn it back on and hold the front power button for 10 seconds.

Maybe try that with it hooked up directly to the TV and see if it detects 1080p.

#114 ·
OK so I have case #5(pasted below from sticky): i have followed the instructions and trouble-shot to death and need some expert help.

basically have older AVR Onkyo HT-R510(B) (i know the optical jack and cable both work by testing on my HD Tuner), but cannot get the ps3 to output digitally, infact, cant get any sound at all to come out (when directly outputting from optical). when I use HDMI setting it works fine and i can optical out from the TV to the receiver and even then it is fine, but is not digital.

I switched audio output for both HDMI and Optical to bitstream (and did it leaving HDMI sound alone too), and changed sound settings to optical and selected all 3 options, dolby, dts and AAV.

someone please help, it is extremely frustrating. I noticed most of these problems are back in 2007 so im hoping someone has the magic answer....

Case 5: PS3 connected to a recent vintage HDTV with HDMI and connected to an older AVR via optical digital audio cable (i.e., Toslink).

In this case you should use an HDMI cable to connect from the HDMI output on your PS3 directly an available HDMI input on your HDTV. Then use an optical digital cable (i.e., Toslink) to connected the PS3 digital audio output to an available optical digital input on your AVR. Your AVR will receive the digital audio data (with the PS3 set to provide bitstream output via it optical digital audio output) from the PS3 via the optical cable. The AVR will decode/process it then output the audio to the connected speakers. The HD video will be sent directly to your HDTV via the HDMI connection. Note that optical digital is limited to only carrying the basic Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound formats (essentially as provided with DVD players but in some cases with BD's you will get somewhat higher bit rates) and cannot carry the highest fidelity surround sound formats supported on some Blu-ray Discs. This is a limitation of having an AVR that does not support HDMI inputs, but in this case the PS3 can be configured to still be compatible with your existing equipment.

Suggested PS3 Audio and Video additional Settings for Case 5 (starting from XMB and Settings drop down menu):

XMB >>> Settings >>> Display Settings >>> Video Output Settings = HDMI >>> Setting Method=AUTOMATIC

XMB >>> Settings >>> BD/DVD Settings >>> BD/DVD Auto Output Format (Optical Digital)=BITSTREAM

XMB >>> Settings >>> Sound Settings >>> Audio Output Settings >>> Select the connector..= DIGITAL OUTPUT (OPTICAL)

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson3411 /forum/post/14591556

OK so I have case #5(pasted below from sticky): i have followed the instructions and trouble-shot to death and need some expert help.

basically have older AVR Onkyo HT-R510(B) (i know the optical jack and cable both work by testing on my HD Tuner), but cannot get the ps3 to output digitally, infact, cant get any sound at all to come out (when directly outputting from optical). when I use HDMI setting it works fine and i can optical out from the TV to the receiver and even then it is fine, but is not digital.

I switched audio output for both HDMI and Optical to bitstream (and did it leaving HDMI sound alone too), and changed sound settings to optical and selected all 3 options, dolby, dts and AAV.

someone please help, it is extremely frustrating. I noticed most of these problems are back in 2007 so im hoping someone has the magic answer....

Are you absolutely certain you switched the PS3's digital audio output from the default HDMI setting to Optical:

XMB >>> Settings >>> Sound Settings >>> Audio Output Settings >>> Select the connector..= DIGITAL OUTPUT (OPTICAL)

Also have you used your Onkyo receiver's setup (I'm not familar with that specific Onkyo model) to configure it to associate the specific optical audio input to the correct source name (e.g., if you connect the PS3 as the DVD input to the Onkyo and are using optical input #1 have you configured the Onkyo to assign optical input #1 the the DVD input).

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones /forum/post/14592056

Are you absolutely certain you switched the PS3's digital audio output from the default HDMI setting to Optical:

Also have you used your Onkyo receiver's setup (I'm not familar with that specific Onkyo model) to configure it to associate the specific optical audio input to the correct source name (e.g., if you connect the PS3 as the DVD input to the Onkyo and are using optical input #1 have you configured the Onkyo to assign optical input #1 the the DVD input).

Yes I did both of those things, including going to the right and pressing X. I tested the DVR box in both audio slots and it worked in both of them so i know its not the cable and also not the onkyo.....

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson3411 /forum/post/14591556

Note that optical digital is limited to only carrying the basic Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound formats (essentially as provided with DVD players but in some cases with BD's you will get somewhat higher bit rates) and cannot carry the highest fidelity surround sound formats supported on some Blu-ray Discs. This is a limitation of having an AVR that does not support HDMI inputs, but in this case the PS3 can be configured to still be compatible with your existing equipment.

Hi,

I'm a very new PS3 user and may not have soaked in the subtleties regarding the audio issues. On page 1 the table for audio suggests that Toslink can carry the advanced formats in LPCM. Does that not mean that an AVR that can decode the advanced formats can and should accurately decode the optical signal?

Unless, these end up being converted to two-channel signals only. As I said, I'm new to this and may have completely oversimplified the situation.

Thanks,

Adnan

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healey3000 /forum/post/14592356

Hi,

I'm a very new PS3 user and may not have soaked in the subtleties regarding the audio issues. On page 1 the table for audio suggests that Toslink can carry the advanced formats in LPCM. Does that not mean that an AVR that can decode the advanced formats can and should accurately decode the optical signal?

Unless, these end up being converted to two-channel signals only. As I said, I'm new to this and may have completely oversimplified the situation.

Thanks,

Adnan

The toslink will either bitstream the lossy core/companion track of the HD tracks or it will decode the HD track to some kind of 2 channel PCM... in other words, no you couldn't let the AVR do the decoding at that point.

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaillar /forum/post/14581012

Actually this is not true. The new PS3 will have the new 45nm chip as well as 45nm RSX graphics chip. Which means less power and quieter operation. I believe it also removes PS2 compatibility. I am not sure about SACD support.

There was some more detailed info around perhaps in the PS3 section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/14581087

He's talking about the latest 80GB model that is CURRENTLY SHIPPING -- the one with only 2 USB sockets. That model is, in fact, the 40GB electronics with just the drive replaced. It is still at 280 Watts max rated power consumption (the same as the 40GB model it replaces). It does *NOT* have the 45nm parts in it. It is on the shelves now at $399 MSRP. It does not support SACD.

Don't confuse that with the immediately preceding 80GB model that came bundled with the MGS4 game, nor the 80GB model that was discontinued last January (both of which consume 100 Watts more power and have the older, hotter-running parts in them), nor with any future model not yet shipping which may (just speculation at this point) use different parts.

--Bob

For the sake of being certain:

Remember the PS3, the 40 GB model, that shipped bundled with Spider man 3 bluray? Which kind of PS3 is that? I mean as far as I know it is not backwards compatible, but I wanna what kinda parts it has. I got worried when Bob said "older, hotter running parts" Does my PS3 have this? what is the 45nm? is that good or bad? is my PS3 worse or better than the new ones?

#121 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar /forum/post/14594406

Remember the PS3, the 40 GB model, that shipped bundled with Spider man 3 bluray? Which kind of PS3 is that? I mean as far as I know it is not backwards compatible, but I wanna what kinda parts it has. I got worried when Bob said "older, hotter running parts" Does my PS3 have this? what is the 45nm? is that good or bad? is my PS3 worse or better than the new ones?

Yours is the newest and coolest that is currently available. It uses 65nm technology. The 45nm technology will probably reach the market sometime next year.

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson3411 /forum/post/14592281

Yes I did both of those things, including going to the right and pressing X. I tested the DVR box in both audio slots and it worked in both of them so i know its not the cable and also not the onkyo.....

It sounds like you may have a defective PS3 with a dead optical output. Before giving up, you may want to try a full reset of the unit. Start by removing power from the unit for a few seconds (turn the master power switch on the back of the console to off for perhaps 15 seconds then turn it back on). Next do a system restore to default settings:

XMB >>> Settings >>> System Settings >>> Restore Default Settings
Info HERE

After completing the restore go thru the set up again and see if that helps. If not then you should call Sony customer support. I sounds like your PS3 is past it's one year warranty period, so Sony will likely make you pay to have the unit repaired if it is really a hardware failure.

Ron Jones

#123 ·
Thanks Ron. I am @ work right now but will try the reset when i get home.

actually, the ps3 is about 2 months old from walmart- hopefully it will be repaired for free if that is what it needs.

what i dont understand is if my TV cant convert the HDMI to optical for output, what is the point of having the optical output?!!

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson3411 /forum/post/14596254

what i dont understand is if my TV cant convert the HDMI to optical for output, what is the point of having the optical output?!!

Hi,

It certainly is a puzzler. Why not output the audio for whatever is being fed to the TV? The only thing I can think of is cost - TV manufacturers would have to build in decoders that add cost, and figuring that most people have an AVR in the system, it would be redundant. Key advantage would be to reduce some of that rat's nest of wires in the back.

Its only function is to output audio from the tuner as there is no other way to obtain that in an HT setup if you don't have a cable box or equivalent.

Regards,

Adnan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.