AVS Forum banner

Dish ViP722 DVR Best HD DVR on the market!

134K views 652 replies 147 participants last post by  TheKrell 
#1 ·
I switched to Dish Network this past week, and I really like the new ViP722 DVR! I am a former DirecTV/Tivo owner and I am very impressed with the new Dish DVR. Not only is it very fast, but it also has an enabled USB port that supports external hard drives up to 750GB. Unlimited HD storage! Can't beat it! I believe this is currently the best HD DVR on the market.

See less See more
#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaüs /forum/post/14690790

Hey guys, I have a quick 722 question. Mainly just about the wiring. I have the regular HD, non DVR receiver now for my main TV, and another SD, non DVR receiver for a TV in another room (non HDTV).

I was thinking of switching to get DVR capability on my main TV, and thought it would be nice to be able to run the SD TV off of this as well, but I don't think I understand the wiring.

Do you literally have to have a wire going from the Remote SD TV to the receiver near the main HD TV?

My house is wired well, but it's all to one main panel, not from the SD remote TV, to the HD main TV.

I don't really care about having recording ability, or even watching recorded TV from the second TV. Only thing I want the second TV to be able to do is watch regular TV and that's it.

If it is all wired to one panel, you can diplex the signal to TV2 over the same cable used to bring the satellite feed to the DVR. This is what I did. Works fine.

Ted

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by allargon /forum/post/14695848

Seriously? That little bit of coax coming into your second TV carries a signal.

Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted /forum/post/14695857

If it is all wired to one panel, you can diplex the signal to TV2 over the same cable used to bring the satellite feed to the DVR. This is what I did. Works fine.

Ted

Thank you Ted. So basically the signal just simply gets sent all the way back through.

#105 ·
So here's my question: I'm looking at signing up for Dish soon (TWC can go straight to hell for all I care), and have this set up:

Main HDTV, second room HDTV, third room SDTV

If I get the 722, the sales rep said it would also control the SDTV via the dual tuner. So I would basically have the 722 in room 1, a 211 in room 2, and room 3 would be connected to the 722 as well.

Is there any disadvantage/advantage to going this way as opposed to just getting a stand alone receiver for room 3?

I do want the multi-channel recording feature of the 722 and if slaving it to a second TV would hinder this, I do not want to go this route.

Also, the 722 is capable of recording 3 programs and watching a fourth. Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned the third recording would be OTA-only. Is this the case, or can one record three channels simultaneously off Dish directly (SD or HD)?

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmonkeys /forum/post/14703258

So here's my question: I'm looking at signing up for Dish soon (TWC can go straight to hell for all I care), and have this set up:

Main HDTV, second room HDTV, third room SDTV

If I get the 722, the sales rep said it would also control the SDTV via the dual tuner. So I would basically have the 722 in room 1, a 211 in room 2, and room 3 would be connected to the 722 as well.

Is there any disadvantage/advantage to going this way as opposed to just getting a stand alone receiver for room 3?

I do want the multi-channel recording feature of the 722 and if slaving it to a second TV would hinder this, I do not want to go this route.

Also, the 722 is capable of recording 3 programs and watching a fourth. Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned the third recording would be OTA-only. Is this the case, or can one record three channels simultaneously off Dish directly (SD or HD)?

The main disadvantage of using the 722 to serve 2 TVs is you cannot switch back and forth between the 2 live buffers. One buffer is dedicated to each TV. I have a 722 and a 622. I use the 722 in single mode and like to switch back and forth between tuners when watching 2 football games at once. I cannot do this on my 622 as I use it in dual mode.

With a 722 in dual mode, you can record 3 channels (2 SAT, 1 OTA) and watch 2 recorded shows at once (1 on each TV). You cannot record 3 channels off the satellite at once.

Hope this helps.

Ted

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcutty /forum/post/14708113

Ted, that is the way I'm setup -722 with the TV2 SD output sent back up the pipe to the main box which distributes throughout the house. Is there a way to take the TV1 HD output from the 722 and send it back up the pipe to other TVs (in addition to TV1)?

TIA

Not that I am aware of, but there may be whole house distribution systems that would work for you. I am unfamiliar with these other than knowing they exist.

Ted

#109 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmonkeys /forum/post/14703258

This is the setup I have also. The advantage is that the SDTV can watch any show that has been recorded on the DVR. It also saves the $5 monthly fee for the extra satellite box.

The 722 can record three programs while the 2 TVs can watch two separate previously recorded show. I have done this. However of the three programs being recorded 2 are satellite and one is OTA. (two satellite tuners and one OTA tuner.)

As a matter of fact I have my 622 set to record three events tonight (Heros, Sara Conner Chronicles, and Dancing with the Stars) I will have to go into the bedroom to watch Monday Night Football on the 211.

Rick R

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncted /forum/post/14707143

The main disadvantage of using the 722 to serve 2 TVs is you cannot switch back and forth between the 2 live buffers...I use the 722 in single mode and like to switch back and forth between tuners when watching 2 football games at once.

I am unfamiliar as to how the two live buffer feature works. I'm a long time, unhappy, TWC customer and am used to losing any sort of buffer once I change the channel. It will only buffer what I'm watching even though it does have a second tuner. Once I move to another station, it's gone.

In what you're describing (in single mode) it's possible to switch between two programs you are not currently recording and the 722 will buffer both programs? So I could be watching program A, hit pause (without recording) and then jump to program B, pause and repeat? Or will program A automatically pause once I change to program B? Provided I don't change to a third channel, will program A resume from where I switched channels at that point (foregoing any pause/play button presses)?

This is quite the feature if true and miles ahead of what I'm used to.

Going back to single/dual mode. Is this easy to turn on/off? The standard def TV using the 722 is infrequently used, so it's not too big of a deal to me if it doesn't have a signal going to it all the time. If I turn it to single mode, does this completely switch off any programming on the SD TV? Or does this TV still maintain tuning functions, just without any DVR/buffering capabilities?

#112 ·
I have the 622, and will probably update to the 722 if they will do it for a reasonable amount.

I have the original Archos Dish Player and we love it, works great, plus I have a seagate 500mb external drive hooked up.

All in all I like the way they have implemented the storage management.

rg

#113 ·
evilmonkeys,

The 722/622 saves what you are watching for one hour. Thus you can back up, up to one hour. However, when you switch channels it throws it away. Thus you can back up up to one hour or to the last time you switched channels, whichever is less.

I have my 622 set to dual mode and the default timmer set to TV2. This means that when I set a timmer it uses TV2's timmer unless it is already set to record something else at that same time. The second TV can always be used normally except when this TV2 timmer is recording then it cqn only watch what is recording or some previously recorded show.

Rick R

#114 ·
my 722 modem went out 2 weeks ago and they sent me a refurbished one to replace it. okay, ill play that game , i said. i hooked it up and within a couple hours it would turn itself off. then again a couple hours later. in the morning it would require a pull the plug reset and then id have to wait to reconfigure sat signals and whatnot. monday morning i come home and do a pull the plug reset and i get the Terminator red eye of death. a red light came on for a second, then dimmed its way out. the unit is officially dead. so no tv monday until now. a new one should be here wednesday. it's quiet in the house with no tv. I requested them to send me a new unit, not a refurb. they said he would document the request but theres no guarantee id get one. well see tomorrow. if it is a refurb and it breaks again, im joining directv.

MJ out

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzoujedi /forum/post/14726127

my 722 modem went out 2 weeks ago and they sent me a refurbished one to replace it. okay, ill play that game , i said. i hooked it up and within a couple hours it would turn itself off. then again a couple hours later. in the morning it would require a pull the plug reset and then id have to wait to reconfigure sat signals and whatnot. monday morning i come home and do a pull the plug reset and i get the Terminator red eye of death. a red light came on for a second, then dimmed its way out. the unit is officially dead. so no tv monday until now. a new one should be here wednesday. it's quiet in the house with no tv. I requested them to send me a new unit, not a refurb. they said he would document the request but theres no guarantee id get one. well see tomorrow. if it is a refurb and it breaks again, im joining directv.

MJ out

Good luck with that. If your DirecTV DVR breaks, they will send you a refurb as well.

Ted

#116 ·
OK, as the handle implies I work in satcom biz (engineering large commercial ground sations). Still, the whole issue of Direct to Home satellite TV (and cable for that matter) seems incredibly complex. Gosh, I remember all we had growing up in the SF Bay Area was 6 channels of B&W VHF analog OTA (susceptible to multipath "picket fencing" from P-3 aircraft on approach to Moffet field). Now ...
. Pity poor grandma trying to figure this all out. I digress.

I saw an earlier post related to the matter of program archive that indicated that the only way one could keep a program was to remain a D* subscriber. The program would be stored on the DVR or an external drive. When D* subscription terminates, the program disappears into the ether, never to be seen again.

However, I wonder if this would work for permanent, non-D* archival: According to the manual it appears that you could use the remote TV (TV2) coaxial cable output as an input to a DVD Recorder (see page 109 of the manual). Is it possible to then use the DVD Recorder output (component or YPbPr) as an another Nearby TV (TV1) input. Could you record the arriving signal on the coaxial cable input (from the VIP722HD) on a DVD for later playback (using another TV1 video/audio input)?

Clearly it would not be HD, but if there was some program you wanted to keep, it seems like this would work. I have a Sony RDR-VX515 and would like to use it from time to time for permanent storage if there is a way.

Also, could I send a previously made DVR recording to the recorder through the TV2 ouput and record it? If that was possible, what if the original program was HD, would it work since TV2 is SD only (i.e. will the VIP722 convert HD to SD before shipping it out over the TV2 output)?

If TV2 SD output is digital, would this even work? I do not know if the Sony could record and play back an SD signal (it may be limited to analog). However, perhaps there are other DVD recorders that can. Or, could the SD signal be converted to analog before insertion into the recorder.

I'm sooooo confused.
Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

#117 ·
Quite an informative thread here. I am about to order new DISH service. I live alone and have one HD and 3 SD TVs. I am happy to use all 3 SD TVs as TV2. My research on the site leads me to believe that splitting the "agile modulator backfeed" to 3 TVs is no big deal. I have wiring in place and readily accessible for this. Does DISH care how many TVs I have connected as TV2? I assume I only pay based on the number of SAT receivers I have, as opposed to how many TVs I have hooked up to them.

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpa /forum/post/14751070

Quite an informative thread here. I am about to order new DISH service. I live alone and have one HD and 3 SD TVs. I am happy to use all 3 SD TVs as TV2. My research on the site leads me to believe that splitting the "agile modulator backfeed" to 3 TVs is no big deal. I have wiring in place and readily accessible for this. Does DISH care how many TVs I have connected as TV2? I assume I only pay based on the number of SAT receivers I have, as opposed to how many TVs I have hooked up to them.

Nope. split TV2 as much as you like. Mine goes 8 ways.

#119 ·
First of all, you guys are great at this forum.

I think I have a unique question/problem with my VIP722 and was hoping one of you would know what to do.

I have Dish Network with VIP722 receiver and love it, but Dish Network does not yet have my local channels in HD. So, I kept my basic cable subscription for $10/month because it includes my local channels in HD. I wanted record these HD locals with the VIP722 so I connected the cable line to the VIP722 via the antenna/CATV input on the back of the VIP722. I had the VIP722 scan for the local channels and it found nothing! (While scanning for locals, the VIP722 only scanned to channel 68.) The standard definition local channels are cable channels 6, 12, 24, and 51. The same channels in high definition are located at 102.1, 102.2, 104.1, and 103.7 on the cable line. Why didn't the VIP722 at least find the cable channels up to channel 68? Can the VIP722 even recognize the cable format? Is there any way to get those HD Locals into the VIP722?

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbridges /forum/post/14755085

First of all, you guys are great at this forum.

I think I have a unique question/problem with my VIP722 and was hoping one of you would know what to do.

I have Dish Network with VIP722 receiver and love it, but Dish Network does not yet have my local channels in HD. So, I kept my basic cable subscription for $10/month because it includes my local channels in HD. I wanted record these HD locals with the VIP722 so I connected the cable line to the VIP722 via the antenna/CATV input on the back of the VIP722. I had the VIP722 scan for the local channels and it found nothing! (While scanning for locals, the VIP722 only scanned to channel 68.) The standard definition local channels are cable channels 6, 12, 24, and 51. The same channels in high definition are located at 102.1, 102.2, 104.1, and 103.7 on the cable line. Why didn't the VIP722 at least find the cable channels up to channel 68? Can the VIP722 even recognize the cable format? Is there any way to get those HD Locals into the VIP722?

Your local cable company most likely uses a technology called QAM to broadcast the HD channels across the cable. The 722 cannot tune QAM. The antenna input is for OTA (over the air) digital broadcasts only. You could get an antenna to receive the OTA signals, and that would work fine with the 722.

Ted

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcom15 /forum/post/14750820

I saw an earlier post related to the matter of program archive that indicated that the only way one could keep a program was to remain a D* subscriber. The program would be stored on the DVR or an external drive. When D* subscription terminates, the program disappears into the ether, never to be seen again.

However, I wonder if this would work for permanent, non-D* archival: According to the manual it appears that you could use the remote TV (TV2) coaxial cable output as an input to a DVD Recorder (see page 109 of the manual). Is it possible to then use the DVD Recorder output (component or YPbPr) as an another Nearby TV (TV1) input. Could you record the arriving signal on the coaxial cable input (from the VIP722HD) on a DVD for later playback (using another TV1 video/audio input)?

Clearly it would not be HD, but if there was some program you wanted to keep, it seems like this would work. I have a Sony RDR-VX515 and would like to use it from time to time for permanent storage if there is a way.

Also, could I send a previously made DVR recording to the recorder through the TV2 ouput and record it? If that was possible, what if the original program was HD, would it work since TV2 is SD only (i.e. will the VIP722 convert HD to SD before shipping it out over the TV2 output)?

If TV2 SD output is digital, would this even work? I do not know if the Sony could record and play back an SD signal (it may be limited to analog). However, perhaps there are other DVD recorders that can. Or, could the SD signal be converted to analog before insertion into the recorder.

I'm sooooo confused.
Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

The TV2 output is analog, so using a DVD recording IS an option. It will be an SD recording. The 722 will downconvert the HD signal to SD. You can record in letterbox or normal mode.

I don't know much about DVD recorders, so please forgive my ignorance. If the DVD recorder has S-Video (or component) in, the better solution would be just to run S-Video (or component) and audio out (does the DVD recorder have optical in? If so, even better) from the 722 (TV1) to the DVD recorder as this will likely give you a better resulting recording.

Also, D* refers to DirecTV. E* refers to Dish (Echostar). Good luck!

Ted

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 /forum/post/14755280

Because the VIP 722 doesn't have a QAM tuner in it and cable uses that scheme. Unfortunately you will not be able to achieve what you are looking for unless you are able to ad an antenna that will receive your ATSC signal from the local stations.

Bobby and Ted - Thanks for the information. I guess I'll try an antenna. Thanks again!

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_R /forum/post/14724758

evilmonkeys,

The 722/622 saves what you are watching for one hour. Thus you can back up, up to one hour. However, when you switch channels it throws it away. Thus you can back up up to one hour or to the last time you switched channels, whichever is less.

Rick R

After backing up within the 1-hour buffer, can you start recording from that point? The TiVo (although only 30 minutes) has spoiled me in that I can miss the start of a program on the currently tuned channel but be assured that I can still record it in its entirety.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.