AVS Forum banner

Hauppauge HDPVR-1212 Owner's Thread

729K views 4K replies 538 participants last post by  nikknightt 
#1 ·
This thread is reserved for the owners of the subject device. The aim is to share our experience with emphasis on problems and how to solve them(what works and does not), best capture settings and tradeoffs, compatibility with computer hardware and software , compatibility with sat and cable set top boxes, new drivers and software for better results...Please feel free to share not only your experience with the device, but contacts with Hauppauge tech support. Thanks to the-tom and rebkell, the following links will allow you to view the 4 pages of info posted before the server failure:

http://rebkell.net/hdpvr_owners_p1.htm
http://rebkell.net/hdpvr_owners_p2.htm
http://rebkell.net/hdpvr_owners_p3.htm
http://rebkell.net/hdpvr_owners_p4.htm

#253 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/14754353

Most of us are using GBPVR/SageTV/BeyondTV/RecordThis/rcCap or an app of our own making.

I'd guess 1 in 100,000 Americans could correctly define any one of those terms, around 1 in 100 HD-PVR 1212 owners own and use one, and less than 1 in ten people who have posted in this thread already own and use one. "Most"?

As of right now, 56 people have posted to this thread , "most" would mean 29 or more people here use one of those. I doubt you could even find half still of that, 14 or more posts, that mention they use one of them. Find me 14 posts to prove me wrong and I'll do a self humiliation loser dance for all and bow down to your wisdom.

#254 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticon /forum/post/14758786

Actually vladd, I care quite a bit about the Arcsoft software. I'm using SageTV for my PVR solution with a pair of HDPVR's, and the Arcsoft decoder is the only h.264 decoder that I've been able to get to work halfway decently with SageTV. If you know of another h.264 that works well with SageTV, please let me know.

Thanks.

I said the software (TotalMedia), not the decoders. The decoders work just fine with H.264/5.1 audio (think BD playback).

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch /forum/post/14758919

I'd guess 1 in 100,000 Americans could correctly define any one of those terms, around 1 in 100 HD-PVR 1212 owners own and use one, and less than 1 in ten people who have posted in this thread already own and use one. "Most"?

As of right now, 56 people have posted to this thread , "most" would mean 29 or more people here use one of those. I doubt you could even find half still of that, 14 or more posts, that mention they use one of them. Find me 14 posts to prove me wrong and I'll do a self humiliation loser dance for all and bow down to your wisdom.

Thanks for setting me straight with "real" figures. I guess 2 channel audio is good enough for the majority for now then.

#255 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch /forum/post/14758919

Find me 14 posts to prove me wrong.

Sorry, had to do it (my Marty McFly syndrome).

1. the_tom: His own creation
  2. me: GBPVR
  3. rebkell: playing around with C#
  4. openaddy: Graphedit (post 73)
  5. Rhack1: SageTV (post 212)
  6. erineyes: BTV (post 213)
  7. ecoli: MP (post 218)
  8. Apap: SageTV (post 187)
  9. bondja: GBPVR (post 190)
  10. nwbear: BTV (post 209)
  11. gorthocar: SageTV (post 158)
  12. mces97: Graphedit (post 165)
  13. skepticon: SageTV
  14. Olias88: SageTV (post 17)
  15. Hanson: was testing with GBPVR
  16. davewou: SageTV (post 21)

Posters lost in server crash:
  1. hubick: SageTV
  2. JJamez: rcTVCap
  3. ARogan: rcTVCap
  4. AllenDB: RecordThis

And of course there is SHS (SageTV) who didn't post to this thread but whose site is referenced multiple times.

There have also been 20 downloads of the C# example capture code.

#256 ·
Does anybody use x64 here? If yes, how are you recording? The Arcsoft capture app works for me, but it's obviously not great (or is there a way to at least mute it, while it's recording?)

I tried rcTVCap which errors out (class not registered). I was able to built a graph with the 32 bit version of graphedt, using 32 bit filters, but that's about it.

Do I have to go back to 32 bit for this (I've been using x64 for more than 2 years now...)?

#257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladd /forum/post/14759865

Sorry, had to do it (my Marty McFly syndrome).

1. the_tom: His own creation
  2. me: GBPVR
  3. rebkell: playing around with C#
  4. openaddy: Graphedit (post 73)
  5. Rhack1: SageTV (post 212)
  6. erineyes: BTV (post 213)
  7. ecoli: MP (post 218)
  8. Apap: SageTV (post 187)
  9. bondja: GBPVR (post 190)
  10. nwbear: BTV (post 209)
  11. gorthocar: SageTV (post 158)
  12. mces97: Graphedit (post 165)
  13. skepticon: SageTV
  14. Olias88: SageTV (post 17)
  15. Hanson: was testing with GBPVR
  16. davewou: SageTV (post 21)

Posters lost in server crash:
  1. hubick: SageTV
  2. JJamez: rcTVCap
  3. ARogan: rcTVCap
  4. AllenDB: RecordThis

You win, I lose. [Maybe I should have held you to 29 or more posts.
hmm...]

Anyway, thanks for being a good sport.
As promised:

"I, one m. zillch, do solemnly declare that I was wrong and I am a loser. Further more, I bow down to and respect vladd's great wisdom."

Here is, er, me doing the loser dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRjI_IK1D64

#258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch /forum/post/14762444

You win, I lose. [Maybe I should have held you to 29 or more posts.
hmm...]

Anyway, thanks for being a good sport.
As promised:

"I, one m. zillch, do solemnly declare that I was wrong and I am a loser. Further more, I bow down to and respect vladd's great wisdom."

Here is, er, me doing the loser dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRjI_IK1D64
Loved the stretching warmup. And yeah, I would have been in trouble if you held me to the 29.

#259 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico66 /forum/post/14761960

Does anybody use x64 here? If yes, how are you recording? The Arcsoft capture app works for me, but it's obviously not great (or is there a way to at least mute it, while it's recording?)

I tried rcTVCap which errors out (class not registered). I was able to built a graph with the 32 bit version of graphedt, using 32 bit filters, but that's about it.

Do I have to go back to 32 bit for this (I've been using x64 for more than 2 years now...)?

Sorry, don't use 64 bit but I've got some parts coming today for a new build. If you give me a day or two, I can throw 64 on it and test.

#262 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARogan /forum/post/14764428

FYI, this was posted in the other HD PVR thread but I didn't see it mentioned here:

Beta 5.1 audio drivers:
http://www.shspvr.com/smf/index.php?topic=11718.0

I'm going to try my best and MAKE time to try these out tonight. If these work out, I might be ordering my second HD PVR.

It works. I installed the beta driver. Captured some content and in Tsmuxer the audio is reported as AC3 with 6 channels.

So far so good. Now I just have to figure out how to burn it to DVD for playback in a blu-ray player - without using TME for burning.

Any suggestions anyone?

#263 ·
They don't work for me! I installed them and now TME won't see the device at all. I rebooted comp and device, still no go. Rolled back to the old 1.0b drivers and the device shows up. I am running vista 64 bit. I will be emailing haupaugge shortly................Brian

#264 ·
Well here's a followup on my previous post. Running XP SP2.

I captured 5 mins and used Tsmuxer to create a BD disc. Burned the resulting BDMV and Certificate folders to DVD using Imageburn. It worked! The DVD is playing in my BD player and my yammy HTR-6090 is reporting 5.1 sound. Sounds great.

Not sure about any A/V sync issues yet. Only captured 5 mins of a baseball game on espn. But so far so good.

Very happy. But it is early.

#267 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by --Sclaws /forum/post/14765173

No-go here as well. Installed, TME sees the 1212, but capture fails/does not respond.

Seems to be working ok here, I tried a few minutes of Wicker Man on HBO and it reported AC3 at 2.0 Channels, but it doesn't seem to be having any problem. Channel changing is taking longer to sync the screen up on the pass-thru, I see Lost Signal before the picture clicks in. I'm only using analog on pass through though, I've got Analog In and Optical in for the audio. The recording I made definitely reported it as AC3, I'm using Arogan's rcTVCap program for recording. Haven't tried TME, probably won't, I used it for playback it was fine.

#271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo /forum/post/14764987

It works. I installed the beta driver. Captured some content and in Tsmuxer the audio is reported as AC3 with 6 channels.

So far so good. Now I just have to figure out how to burn it to DVD for playback in a blu-ray player - without using TME for burning.

Any suggestions anyone?

Well, as soon as I get home and can try out the drivers, I will taking the commercial route and using Ulead Videostudio 11.5+. It worked with the old (raw) video files which the 1212 produced, but it could not deal with the AAC audio stream. The new driver actually makes my process a little bit easier, as I can go directly from recording to authoring with Ulead. I can get NEARLY frame accurate results when I edit out my commercials. Of course, I also have to wait a day or so for my computer to finish transcoding the video. I REALLY need a quad core.

#273 ·
Those of you who are testing recording 5.1 audio -- what software are y'all using to record? I'm unable to get anything but 2.0 DD with TME. What's the simplest other software to do manual recording from material already recorded to the satellite HD receiver? (I have SageTV that I use with the HDHomeRun for scheduled OTA, but have never been able to figure out how to do manual recording with Sage.)

#274 ·
Does anyone know of anyone's systematic evaluation of the resolution/ motion artifact differences between the various compression ratios? variable vs constant bit rate? low average but with high peak values, etc.?

I will probably be buying a Sony BDPS350 bluray next week [they just came down $100 to $299!
Sweet!], already have several BluRay resolution test discs, and will attempt my own comparisons if no one else has.

8.8 Mbps CBR let's me get 2 hr of 1080i onto a DVD+DL disc and it seems pretty sharp and artifact free, except for explosions of red fire which break up into tiles/ macro blocking (whatever you want to call it). Livable but I'd like to know exactly what the sweet spots are in terms of quality vs time going all the way down to what is said to be the bare minimum for HD, 5 Mbps.

#275 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagali /forum/post/14766312

Those of you who are testing recording 5.1 audio -- what software are y'all using to record? I'm unable to get anything but 2.0 DD with TME. What's the simplest other software to do manual recording from material already recorded to the satellite HD receiver? (I have SageTV that I use with the HDHomeRun for scheduled OTA, but have never been able to figure out how to do manual recording with Sage.)

I have used both TME and rctvcap with success. The only problem I had was when using the spdif audio input I had a bad optical cable which caused no video when trying to capture.Counter intuitive so it took a while to figuire out. I am using Vista32 BTW.

#276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemac /forum/post/14766455

I have used both TME and rctvcap with success. The only problem I had was when using the spdif audio input I had a bad optical cable which caused no video when trying to capture.Counter intuitive so it took a while to figuire out. I am using Vista32 BTW.

I'm not having any luck getting 5.1 out of rcTVCap, it works with the TME record program, but the rcTVCap always ends up being AC3 2.0 ...

Ok, now I'm getting 5.1 out of rcTVCap, I think it was some kind of Vista cache on the rctvcap.grf file. I changed the setting in the grf to SPDIF and then tried again and it's now doing 5.1. This is strange, my biggest problem is that I don't seem to be able to use the analog for my pass through, my TV doesn't have an optical in, so now I don't have audio on my pass through
I figured this would happen....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.