AVS Forum banner

Iron Man Blu-ray 9/30

139K views 1K replies 365 participants last post by  lgans316 
#1 ·
September is going to be very expensive with Transformers, Iron Man, Kill Bill 1 & 2 just to name a few.

i know you guys want proof and i've taken a screenshot of the files i got my hands on that were from USB drives loaded with promo material.

i dont have any picture hosting services so if someone would host the pic pls send me a pm. other files found in the drive include intros to the extras material in the movie.

EDIT: Thanks to msgohan for hosting the pic.

See less See more
#779 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky /forum/post/14773431

So all f this audio issue talk has me wondering if I even have my sound set up correctly on my PS3...

Can anyone confirm what my BD sound output should be at on the PS3? Bitstream or PCM to get the TrueHD audio?

(I have a Denon 3808 if that helps)...

Thanks!

Audio output should be set to PCM and Dynamic Range Control set to off.

#780 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 /forum/post/14772270

I have not watched it completely through yet but did they cut the scene when he is demonstrating his missile and says something like "This is how mom does it, this is how god does it and this is how America does it....and everything has been pretty good so far" or something along those lines. When he fires the missile and it detonates in the side of the mountain it contains some serious bass. I am pretty sure its in the beginning of the movie. I watched the first 30 minutes and did not see it.

... Why in the hell would they cut it for the home release?

It's in there. It's part of the flashback sequence pre-captivity. If you've gotten to the part where Stark is waking up in the cave, you're about 5 minutes too far.

#781 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k /forum/post/14773059

Ok, do you remember that scene? Did you watch the deleted scenes? In another forum a guy is reporting the same thing. Something fishy is going on.

The only fishiness is in your head.

The scene on the disc is exactly the same as the one in theaters. The convoy ambush was very quick. Soldiers get shot, Tony gets out and tries to make a call, rocket lands next to him, boom. That's exactly how it was in theaters.

You've allowed the deleted scenes to interfere with your recollection of what you saw in the theater.

#782 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe /forum/post/14773535

I aborted after 1 hour, 20 minutes.

Im on the same boat...past 1hr already. Turned it on, took a nap, watched the Twins/Sox tiebreaker game, fell asleep again. Then what do u know, still stuck on the same blue ring screen. Effin POS

#783 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky /forum/post/14773377

2 hours and still nothing. I am on a PS3. I appreciate the tip about turning off BD Internet connection since that got me into the movie, but I am trying to download the Live content agin and its still sitting there after another 20 minutes...

how do you turn off BD internet connection on the ps3

#785 ·
I watched the Iron Man BluRay today; having seen the film several times in the theaters I'm very confident that this is exactly the same cut. The fact that the movie begins with Stark being injured, then cuts to a flashback, then cuts back to him in the caves is what is probably throwing people off.

The PQ is fantastic on this one although downloading the BD Live content was a pain and I just cancelled it after a few minutes; I'll get it in a few days after the initial feeding frenzy has petered out. I've set my PS3 to always ask me whether I want to DL anything when firing up a disc and studios should really get into the habit of putting some messages and a status bar on screen. I'm sure a lot of people who aren't tech savvy will see the spinning ARC reactor animation and be convinced they have a defective disc.

#787 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth /forum/post/14773211

Thank you SO much for that tip, I thought my disc was messed up and I wouldn't be able to watch this tonight.

Anytime!!

To reiterate because I've noticed people do not like to read through this thread for answers, if you want to bypass the BD Live download on your PS3, go to BD/DVD Settings--->BD Internet Connection--->Change this from "Allow" to "Confirm".

Then when you load the movie, pick "No" for internet connectivity of this BD and you'll bypass the BD Live loading screen (IE: Blue Ring)

#789 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP /forum/post/14773695

I'm sure a lot of people who aren't tech savvy will see the spinning ARC reactor animation and be convinced they have a defective disc.

What kind of an idiot would think something like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDad /forum/post/14768460

Well, I had a helluva time getting the disc to play on my PS3. It would not get past the java loading screen. I finally tried disabling the BD internet connection - and it loaded right up. So I'm thinking I got one of the defective discs - and they just slapped a new UPC sticker on the box.

umm ... never mind ...

#790 ·
I'm having the opposite problem - it won't attempt to download the BD Live content on my PS3. If I choose "BD LIVE" from the extras menu, it tells me I am either not connected to the internet (which I am) or my player isn't BD Live capable.

Nevermind... needed to change some router settings.

#794 ·
I say again:

PS3 Owners: Change settings under BD/DVD Settings > BD Internet Connection set to Confirm to prevent this automatic BD-Live download in the future.

When you run the disc you will receive a prompt allowing you the choice to download or not.

My guess is that this is an isolated incident directly related to the BD-Live servers. Surely the companies will take note of this and maybe even take action against it happening again.

-Ex

#795 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAnim8r /forum/post/14773887

I say again:

PS3 Owners: Change settings under BD/DVD Settings > BD Internet Connection set to Confirm to prevent this automatic BD-Live download in the future.

When you run the disc you will receive a prompt allowing you the choice to download or not.

My guess is that this is an isolated incident directly related to the BD-Live servers. Surely the companies will take note of this and maybe even take action against it happening again.

-Ex

Great tip. Thanks. This should probably be the prefered setting anyway.

#797 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAnim8r /forum/post/14773887

I say again:

-Ex

They really need to sticky this to the TOP of the Blu-ray Software section. I am really tired of this already.

#798 ·
I wonder how many returns they'll get of this disc? "Hey, we sold one million discs... and 250,000 were returned on day one as being defective... hmm.. maybe we shouldn't have done that auto-download thing."

This is the only disc I've had that's done something like this. I read some posts that Transformers did it, but it must have been a million times faster, because I didn't note any extra loading time on that one. Iron Man, however... I let it sit for about forty-five minutes and got nothing.

I really hope they never do this again. I don't want any of my discs to do a damn thing online unless I specifically tell it to by clicking the BD-Live link on the menu.

#799 ·
Just finished watching Iron Man for the first time.

WOW.

This is REFERENCE Dolby True HD audio... I am biased towards PCM soundtracks because I despise DialNorm (having to raise my receiver volume +5db is a chore everytime I switch PCM/TrueHD), but this is not an issue on Iron Man.

The dialog was comfortably loud, and rarely (maybe once) did I not understand what was spoken onscreen. Even during heavy action scenes.

The gun shots sound meaty, not rat-tat-tat, more like dootf-dootf-dootf with full weight and impact.

The LFE? Ho-My-God!!! Can you say "shake the house loud"? I can't imagine what the neighbors must've heard... fortunately, they're out of town.

PQ was excellent. Not much to be said there. The red hues on the Iron Man suit looked like real life (even though it was CGI).

All in all, my favorite BD release this year.

5-Stars for Audio

4.5-Stars for Video.

HIGHLY recommended.

p.s. I hope they replace Paltrow for Iron Man 2. She was wasted in her supporting role. Whenever she was onscreeen, the movie felt like it grinded to a screeching halt.

#801 ·
I can see many returns because the "disc won't play." That ARC reactor screen is too vague, not letting anyone know if it's either loading the main menu or downloading BD-Live content. Paramount should have authored the disc to go straight to the menu and allow users to choose BD-Live access at the user's whim.

On another note, the PQ is fantastic. I love how the film is not given that digital look by being excessively clean. The grain here gives it a very filmic appearance. Yet, the movie still retains the 3D image associated with high definition. Don't judge the screencaptures. View it yourself; you'll be impressed.

Audio is just as I remembered in theater. The quality on the BD is significantly better, of course!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.