AVS Forum banner

House of Flying Daggers -Re-master?

37K views 202 replies 68 participants last post by  endeavor 
#1 ·
The September issue of THE PERFECT VISION makes reference to a re-mastered edition of the Blu-Ray of HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS. In discussion of FIFTH ELEMENT in an article titled "Blu-ray Discs to Die For on page 76 the following is stated "Apparently other titles have been redone as well, including the gorgeous new transfer of House of Flying Daggers, also roundly trounced along with other first Sony masterings."

Can anyone confirm this and other possible Sony re-masterings and how to identify the new product?

PS

I did not find other thread on this subject......if one exists please link to it.

#77 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/14792987

I don't have screen grabs, but there's a list of the cuts here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/15518...flying-daggers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/14793370

The easiest cut to see is this one...

Thank you guys!

I've no Internet connection in my new flat yet
, so I only saw your replies today. I'll look for the cut scenes tonight, and will get back to you tomorrow...

Cheers!

Peto

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petoluk /forum/post/14808519

I've no Internet connection in my new flat yet
, so I only saw your replies today. I'll look for the cut scenes tonight, and will get back to you tomorrow...

Cheers!

Peto

Arrgghh!!! The waiting is killing me!!!

#80 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xradman /forum/post/14806331

Where is there a Tale of Two Sisters Blu-ray? I thought this title was canned when Tartan went out of business.

It was, currently there is no release available

#81 ·
OK, here goes - I'm not 100 % sure all these are the shots that were tampered with in the US release, but I did my best to locate the scenes as described in the review Josh Z linked. Note the DVD captures come from EDKO's R3 NTSC 2-disc edition (upscaled using AviSynth's Lanczos4Resize):

DVD

BRD

DVD

BRD

DVD

BRD

DVD

BRD

DVD

BRD

DVD

BRD

DVD

BRD

Now, I'm not sure how to identify the disc's region. There's no info about it on the cover, but I was able to play the disc on my region A HTPC drive (with AnyDVD HD turned off), so I guess it might be region free...

Cheers!

Peto

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petoluk /forum/post/14815400

OK, here goes - I'm not 100 % sure all these are the shots that were tampered with in the US release, but I did my best to locate the scenes as described in the review Josh Z linked. Note the DVD captures come from EDKO's R3 NTSC 2-disc edition (upscaled using AviSynth's Lanczos4Resize):

So, the French Blu-ray appears to be uncensored, then.

Can you just confirm that this is present?

---

As Jin discovers Mei lying injured, the scene has been condensed to cut directly to Leo's attack. In the original Chinese cut of the film, Jin cradles Mei's body for 30 additional seconds, and we discover that she is still alive when she attempts to whisper in his ear. Mei's voice is inaudible, but Jin repeats aloud what he hears: "Mei. Mei! What? Turn Turn around. Look behind you." At this point he turns around to see Leo charging towards him.

#84 ·
I picked up the UK disc today.

VC-1 encoding, BD-25 disc. Full running time is 119mins 18secs.

It has a reasonable amount of detail, certainly HD material. There is a small amount of telecine wobble present.

Soundtrack is DTS-HD-HR, NOT DTS-HD-MA. All extras from the UK 2-disc DVD appear to be present and correct in MPEG-2 and encoded at 576p.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to check out The Goonies...

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/14816423

So, the French Blu-ray appears to be uncensored, then.

Can you just confirm that this is present?

---

As Jin discovers Mei lying injured, the scene has been condensed to cut directly to Leo's attack. In the original Chinese cut of the film, Jin cradles Mei's body for 30 additional seconds, and we discover that she is still alive when she attempts to whisper in his ear. Mei's voice is inaudible, but Jin repeats aloud what he hears: "Mei. Mei! What? Turn… Turn around. Look behind you." At this point he turns around to see Leo charging towards him.

Well, I think it is - the 3rd shot above comes from this scene (Mei opens her eyes in that shot, so I guess we do discover she is still alive
)...

#87 ·
#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petoluk /forum/post/14815400

Now, I'm not sure how to identify the disc's region. There's no info about it on the cover, but I was able to play the disc on my region A HTPC drive (with AnyDVD HD turned off), so I guess it might be region free...

Just make sure AnyDVD's region removal feature is off and trial-and-error each region setting in PowerDVD.

#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/14817104

But it looks to be region B. Therefore, the question is... Will it play in a PS3? I cannot order until we know for sure.

If it actually is region B:

Did you buy your PS3 in Europe? If so, then it's Blu-ray region B and it will play.

Did you buy your PS3 in North America or Japan/Asia? If so, then it's Blu-ray region A and it will not play.

I don't even know if anyone in Blu-ray region C actually has a region C player. Region C is a wasteland where they put China and Russia to keep their dirty pirates away from regions A/B and anyone who lives there probably has a region A/B player and imports all of his/her titles. India is also trapped in region C but I doubt that matters much for them because their domestic film industry is so strong and most Indians probably watch domestic Bollywood films anyways.

#91 ·
I'm in the USA. So my only hope is for a Korean or Japanese release. Right now I want to punch Sony in the face. This is intolerable.

#93 ·
Read the thread. Sony CUT and ALTERED the film for a PG-13 rating and refuses to release the uncut version, despite their knowing full well that is what people want. It is infuriating.

Now it available overseas, uncut, but I can't see it because of region coding.

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petoluk /forum/post/14817005

Well, I think it is - the 3rd shot above comes from this scene (Mei opens her eyes in that shot, so I guess we do discover she is still alive
)...

That scene is present in the American version, but it's been shortened to remove the dialogue and cut right to the attack. If the dialogue I quoted was there, it's the uncut version.

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/14824459

Read the thread. Sony CUT and ALTERED the film for a PG-13 rating and refuses to release the uncut version, despite their knowing full well that is what people want. It is infuriating.

Now it available overseas, uncut, but I can't see it because of region coding.

The weird thing is, this is a specific enthusiasts movie. It's not like there were gobs of money to be made by making it PG-13. This isn't Spider-man! This isn't Indiana Jones! Oh well.

#96 ·
PG-13 is ruining film. It is a travesty. In ten years there will be no R rated films released.

#97 ·
petoluk, one more question: When you turn on English subtitles, are they positioned entirely inside the movie image, or are some lines in the lower letterbox bar?

#100 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel /forum/post/14829733

I predict just the opposite, in 10 years R films will start to outweigh PG-13 again as studios "push the envelope" to stand out in a field of badly censored PG-13 films.

No way. Corporations run the studios. They want maximum return on their dollar and ever since Washington DC went ballistic once they found out R rated films were being marketed to teens (duh) the PG-13 has been king and will be ever more so as time goes by.

DIE HARD 4, now TERMINATOR 4 and maybe even BEVERLY HILLS COP 4. It will just get worse and worse. HANCOCK was cut to pieces in an effort to get it a PG-13. R rated films are extremely difficult to make now. Budgets have to be slashed, running times have to be short and it takes a strong, well regarded filmmaker to make that happen.

What Sony did with HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS and KUNG FU HUSTLE is sheer lunacy, brought on by the PG-13 castration of American film.

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceless Rebel /forum/post/14829733

I predict just the opposite, in 10 years R films will start to outweigh PG-13 again as studios "push the envelope" to stand out in a field of badly censored PG-13 films.

Open message to studios: more Rambo 4, less Die Hard 4 please.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.