AVS Forum banner

House of Flying Daggers -Re-master?

37K views 202 replies 68 participants last post by  endeavor 
#1 ·
The September issue of THE PERFECT VISION makes reference to a re-mastered edition of the Blu-Ray of HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS. In discussion of FIFTH ELEMENT in an article titled "Blu-ray Discs to Die For on page 76 the following is stated "Apparently other titles have been redone as well, including the gorgeous new transfer of House of Flying Daggers, also roundly trounced along with other first Sony masterings."

Can anyone confirm this and other possible Sony re-masterings and how to identify the new product?

PS

I did not find other thread on this subject......if one exists please link to it.

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviation /forum/post/14832947

Well, there's always the "unrated" version of Die Hard 4, which is the original rated-R movie they made. Too bad we don't get it on Blu-ray.

Still a toned-down R versus the first three as I understand it. I only saw the PG-13 cut and I hated it so I haven't bothered checking out the Unrated (plus I can't be bothered watching SD lately - especially when the HD is reference like this).

#104 ·

Quote:

Well, there's always the "unrated" version of Die Hard 4, which is the original rated-R movie they made. Too bad we don't get it on Blu-ray.

The switch to PG-13 was made during filmming, so half the flick was toned down while shooting. Less violent, etc. It shows. The film just lacks oomph.

#105 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/14831684

No way. Corporations run the studios. They want maximum return on their dollar and ever since Washington DC went ballistic once they found out R rated films were being marketed to teens (duh) the PG-13 has been king and will be ever more so as time goes by.

DIE HARD 4, now TERMINATOR 4 and maybe even BEVERLY HILLS COP 4. It will just get worse and worse. HANCOCK was cut to pieces in an effort to get it a PG-13. R rated films are extremely difficult to make now. Budgets have to be slashed, running times have to be short and it takes a strong, well regarded filmmaker to make that happen.

What Sony did with HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS and KUNG FU HUSTLE is sheer lunacy, brought on by the PG-13 castration of American film.

Man, this needed to be said.

I am sick of these baby goo-goo action films coming out these days...

Quote:

DON'T get me started on that...

#107 ·
wow, the french version is miles ahead of the US BD in terms of pq from what i saw in the pics and xylon's screen grabs.

too bad it is region b. what region is UK?

it also doesn't say Master Audio for the Chinese track and no mention of chinese subtitles. really hoping Edko would release one for HK

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_Stevens /forum/post/14831684

What Sony did with HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS and KUNG FU HUSTLE is sheer lunacy, brought on by the PG-13 castration of American film.

What's really odd is that the cut version of Kung Fu Hustle was still given an R rating, but so was the uncut "Axe Kickin' Edition"!
Looks like Sony tried for a PG-13 originally, failed, and just gave up...

This Film Is Not Yet Rated is fantastic stuff. The interviews with Matt Stone and Kevin Smith especially prove how full of themselves the MPAA really is.

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentai /forum/post/14848312

What's really odd is that the cut version of Kung Fu Hustle was still given an R rating, but so was the uncut "Axe Kickin' Edition"!
Looks like Sony tried for a PG-13 originally, failed, and just gave up...

This Film Is Not Yet Rated is fantastic stuff. The interviews with Matt Stone and Kevin Smith especially prove how full of themselves the MPAA really is.

I thought that the "Axe Kickin" SE was still the same theatrical cut?

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/14825000

That scene is present in the American version, but it's been shortened to remove the dialogue and cut right to the attack. If the dialogue I quoted was there, it's the uncut version.

This does not appear to have been answered definitively. I'd like to order the disc, but it's expensive and I'd hate to get it home only to discover that it's the same as the American cut.

Can anyone confirm whether the dialogue is present in this scene?

---

As Jin discovers Mei lying injured, the scene has been condensed to cut directly to Leo's attack. In the original Chinese cut of the film, Jin cradles Mei's body for 30 additional seconds, and we discover that she is still alive when she attempts to whisper in his ear. Mei's voice is inaudible, but Jin repeats aloud what he hears: "Mei. Mei! What? Turn… Turn around. Look behind you." At this point he turns around to see Leo charging towards him.

---

I'd also like an answer to whether the English subtitles appear within the movie or in the lower letterbox bar. Thanks.

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/15018920

This does not appear to have been answered definitively. I'd like to order the disc, but it's expensive and I'd hate to get it home only to discover that it's the same as the American cut.

Can anyone confirm whether the dialogue is present in this scene?

I'd also like an answer to whether the English subtitles appear within the movie or in the lower letterbox bar. Thanks.

I guess I'll have to answer my own questions here. I gave in and ordered the disc. It arrived yesterday.

First off, the disc is not compatible with Region A players. It doesn't specifically say that it's region coded, and I didn't get a typical "Wrong Region" error message, but the screen goes black and eventually the disc just stops playing. So, effectively, it's Region B locked. Fortunately, I have a region-free LG BH200. The disc plays fine in that.

The disc has a choice of French or English menus. I can confirm that the movie does have the violence that was cut out of the American PG-13 version. I have not checked whether the horse stunts that were censored in the UK are missing. If anyone has a time code, I will look for that.

Subtitles appear half-in/half-out of the movie image, just like the Sony disc.

I haven't watched the disc on my projector yet, so I can't make any definitive statements on picture quality. I just checked a few scenes on a small monitor. It looked pretty much the same as the Region A copy, but I need to do more critical viewing to be sure.

#115 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/15063835

I guess I'll have to answer my own questions here. I gave in and ordered the disc. It arrived yesterday.

First off, the disc is not compatible with Region A players. It doesn't specifically say that it's region coded, and I didn't get a typical "Wrong Region" error message, but the screen goes black and eventually the disc just stops playing. So, effectively, it's Region B locked. Fortunately, I have a region-free LG BH200. The disc plays fine in that.

The disc has a choice of French or English menus. I can confirm that the movie does have the violence that was cut out of the American PG-13 version. I have not checked whether the horse stunts that were censored in the UK are missing. If anyone has a time code, I will look for that.

I haven't watched the disc on my projector yet, so I can't make any definitive statements on picture quality. I just checked a few scenes on a small monitor. It looked pretty much the same as the Region A copy, but I need to do more critical viewing to be sure.

Josh thanks for the update.

#117 ·

Quote:

josh, i seem to remember reading about ppl bypassing the region lock issue by pressing some button combinations during the blank screen. maybe you can check out asianblurayguide.com or google for more info. i'd like to hear more about this disc (region lock, quality) before possibly making an import purchase myself.

does it have chinese subs?

#118 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/15066815

josh, i seem to remember reading about ppl bypassing the region lock issue by pressing some button combinations during the blank screen. maybe you can check out asianblurayguide.com or google for more info. i'd like to hear more about this disc (region lock, quality) before possibly making an import purchase myself.

In blu-ray lies inc, the process of playing the uk version is press "stop" at the blank screen. then pressing "top menu", then the movie plays ok. josh, can you verify this?

Thanks..

http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=b

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatesh_m /forum/post/15067169

In blu-ray lies inc, the process of playing the uk version is press "stop" at the blank screen. then pressing "top menu", then the movie plays ok. josh, can you verify this?

Thanks..

http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=b

I just tried it. Pressing Stop then Top Menu does not work on my Panasonic DMP-BD50. It may react differently in a PS3, but in the BD50 this procedure just brings me back to the black screen, which then stops playback after a minute.

I tried other combination of buttons, and nothing else worked either. The only button that does anything is Stop. Everything else gives me a "This operation currently disabled" message.

[Note that I have the French release, not the UK release. Maybe that disc is different.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/15066815

The French disc has only English or French subtitles.

#121 ·

Quote:

I have not checked whether the horse stunts that were censored in the UK are missing. If anyone has a time code, I will look for that.

In the uncut version at 30'57 (in my R2 Japanese DVD) there should be four horses falling to the ground one after the other over the next 20s. On the UK PAL DVD and BD, only the first horse fell.

Josh, can you please confirm:

1. the timing of the whole film as reported from the player. Someone said it is 119'09, which is shorter than the figure from BDInfo posted above.

2. the subtitles - can they be disabled altogether?

3. the extras compared to the US BD.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/15067785

I just tried it. Pressing Stop then Top Menu does not work ...

Try this ?

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinfamous /forum/post/15069419

....wat?

figure of speech. in a way it makes sense. movies like Max Payne (i have not seen) where the game it was based on was very violent should not be pg-13. no movie in the die hard series should be pg13.

how many summer blockbusters these days are rated R? remember back when T2 was the "biggest summer blockbuster". nowadays it would be toned down to pg13 before release.

#125 ·
Max Payne was originally conceived as an R rated film, but FOX forced it into an PG-13. It was that, or no movie.

The results... Complete crap that failed to earn its budget back. Yes, it will make money after DVD, but WTF is the point of a child safe version of an adult product? No one is satisfied with that!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.