AVS Forum banner

Will BH200 read BD-RE and BD-R?

11K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  spexman 
#1 ·
Any of you owners care to say if it does or doesn't? I can't seem to find a post that confirms or denies it.

LonG

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNYBOY /forum/post/13649885

Man that sucks. my BD-UP5000 wont play BD-RE discs. Did the LG do this out of the box or was it after an update. I'm hoping since they share the same chip, that the 5000 will be able to after an update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilblue /forum/post/13652562

It's probably due to the LG drive inside the player.

Anyone feeling adventurous enough to swap an LG drive into their Samsung player?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/13641890

What does BD-RE mean? Blu-ray Disc Re-Erasable?

What was wrong with BD-RW?

Sorry for delay, yes I termed BD-RE as meaning re-writable.

I have Samsung to and it sucks that it will not play my re-writables or even my right once BD's! The more I use the Sammy the less I like it, especially compared to my BH-200.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/13678437

Thanks BCH.

So you much prefer your BH200? What in particular?

Bradavon

Well, the bitstreaming of DTS MA is really nice as I have a bunch of Fox and Lionsgate titles. When the Samsung is finally able to do this that will be good too but the USB upgrading of the LG is sweet also. The feel is much better to me of the LG (Sammy just feels a lot less responsive) with the touch buttons and build quality. Now these are just preferences of course, but I really enjoy the LG in the theater because of the codecs, feel, and the playing of my

BD-R ,BD-RE. As far as picture they are about equal with the Samsung just edging out the LG in asthetics. Even with the Sammy able to do the codecs (whenever?) it cold not exist in the theater for me without the other attributes of the LG. Bottom line they both will be great machines in there final incarnations, baring the Sammy gets the needed upgrades.

Also in the theater the concurrent combo machine must be as close to the separate BD (BD-30) and HDDVD (Integra) machines in operation, speed, sound, etc. and the LG fits that bill to a tee, but this of course is based on stuff that would not be a consideration for most.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradavon /forum/post/13681097

Thanks BCH.

The LG BH200 with it's April firmware does look much better than it's original shipped November firmware. I do hope Samsung give us the goods next month. If it's not arrived by the 31st of May I'm sure we'll all be very annoyed.

Your quite welcome, I think Samsung will have their upgrade soon because of the same chip senario with LG. I am waiting so I can move the LG to another location where it can be used with the BD-r,re and the Sammy just needs to do the codecs in the theater because their are other machines that will play the re-writables there.

Do you think these guys will continue to support these combo machines? Sure hope so but you know how this hobby goes

#18 ·
I burned my first mpeg2 HD movie using nero7 on a sony 25gb BD-RE. When I tried to play it on my lg-bh200 with software version BH02080402F it says data and will not play. Did I do something wrong? I wanted this to play. Please help?

I reburned with Nero 8 in Vista and it is better, the LG-BH200 recognizes it and it plays, but locks up or freezes every couple of seconds. It looked weird when it was burning. I really am just learning what I am doing. I could find any instructions. I may have used a different process. I do not know about Nero, maybe I needed to patch it.

#19 ·
I just put in a BD-R and it doesn't work. Is there something I could have possibly done wrong with the burning process? it works fine on the PS3.

It shows up as a "data disc."

#20 ·
As far as I can see it looks like the June 08 firmware removed the LG BH200's ability to play BD -R & -RE discs.

This is a seriously backward step IMO (and all part of what has been the underlying cr@p inherent in Blu-ray IMO; 'they' really do not want us having a world of of our own recorded content & recordable media as we did/do with video tape or DVD).

The only remedy is to roll back to the firmware where it was last working properly (which would be Aprils?).

I can only seem to find the March firmware, if anyone has the April version or a link to it I'd be much obliged.

#21 ·
Indeed April firmware was the last that allowed BR-R and BD-5 and BD-9 AVCHD discs to be played. I wonder why they removed that in June firmware considering that the BP300 plays all those formats. Also the new Sony and Panasonic players play those as well so I don't believe it has to do with the BDA. Either it has to do with engineering or money

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocka2 /forum/post/14347756

I burned my first mpeg2 HD movie using nero7 on a sony 25gb BD-RE. When I tried to play it on my lg-bh200 with software version BH02080402F it says data and will not play. Did I do something wrong? I wanted this to play. Please help?

I reburned with Nero 8 in Vista and it is better, the LG-BH200 recognizes it and it plays, but locks up or freezes every couple of seconds. It looked weird when it was burning. I really am just learning what I am doing. I could find any instructions. I may have used a different process. I do not know about Nero, maybe I needed to patch it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalfreakNYC /forum/post/14937095

I just put in a BD-R and it doesn't work. Is there something I could have possibly done wrong with the burning process? it works fine on the PS3.

It shows up as a "data disc."

You have to make sure that you burn the disc type as UDF and then go to advance settings and select udf 2.50. The PS3 will recognise other setting for some reason, but most players will not.

Make sure that when you go to play the disk that you have the April Firmware on your 200. It's the only one that works as far as I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StardustOne /forum/post/15396677

l hope LG adds this back into their Firmware. I can't understand why features get removed if they were working before.

Keep hoping. As I posted in my reply to the firmware watch post customer services stated that since it was not an officially supported feature it will not be returned to the 200. It the whole reason I bought mine so I just keep my April firmware on there and update when needed. Samsungmaster recently confirmed that this great feature will not be returning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.