AVS Forum banner

Input lag scared me away :( Please help

9K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  YOitzODELLE 
#1 ·
I recently settled on getting the Samsung a650 or a750 depending on their prices this holiday season; however, I wanted to further my research on HDTVs before I became positive. This is what brings me to my topic.

After reading several post on this website regarding input lag, I'm starting to turn away from ol' Sammy (with its lack of configuring Game mode) and even LCDs in general. I know it's not a big deal to some people, but I own several racing and first-person shooting games and having no controller lag compared to a tad makes a huge difference when it comes to the next sharp turn or that one last bullet to kill the enemy.

Some people have said to purchase a Plasma, others have asked me to get a Sony HDTV. And that is why I turn to you, AVS members, to see if I can learn more about input lag and your opinions on Samsung as well as other HDTV manufacturers.

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakiChan /forum/post/15045243

Somehow, given the supposedly similarity between the sets, I doubt the W series has no lag and all of a sudden the XBR6 has 2x or 3x the lag, especially in game mode.

- Those were my exact same thoughts. The only explanation that I could think of was that the XBR6 had a better Bravia processing engine, which required more time.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/15044808

- It depends on how easily you can spot lag. IMO, it's much easier to spot in fighting games than other types of games that are more forgiving and do not require moves performed within certain frames.

There's a GREAT thread with input delay numbers and measurements. The last few pages have Samsung and Sharp measurements.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=558125&page=1

Interesting - seems using 360 to the 650 via VGA yields the lowest lag, 26 ms - probably less if you use 1080p output (so the TV doesn't have to scale the res like in his test).

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/15045190

- I've seen various posts that say it's around 24-30ms, which is about a 2 frame delay. I was looking at the KDL-52W4000 and it is listed as having little to no lag on a UK site. I assumed that the KDL-52W4100 was the US version, but I'm not sure.

- If you have a HTPC and a CRT (assumed 0ms lag), then you can take a picture.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post14548547

According to the lag thread, a CRT is more like 15-30 ms lag.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarmintCong /forum/post/15045523

According to the lag thread, a CRT is more like 15-30 ms lag.

I think they're talking about later HDTV CRTs which probably have a lot of digital processing too. An analog CRT monitor won't have lag, due to the nature of its design. The input signal basically controls the scanning of the CRT tube.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciid /forum/post/15039298

Mooey this is what ive learned since i started shopping for a gameing only TV.

-Avoid anything that says samsung A### on it.Way to many negative posts about them

-Toshiba... I wanna beleive there turning a corner but not risking 1700 bucks on em

-Sharp stuff is still banding

-Vizio sucks

-LG i find is kinda overpriced

-Plasma is still to scary to me

-OLED afforadable in 2014

At the moment im playing games on my Sony Rear proj 60A3000.I just want a TV to play games on.After 2 years of reading these forums im pretty much set on getting the Sony 46Z4100.I dont need a TV with mindblowing blowing blacks when 90% of the games i plan on playing have nice big explosions going off every 2 secs.

I have the same 60" SXRD that you mention. In you research, do you think you will be getting that much of an improvement for your games with a LCD Sony?

I am also in the market and been doing some research and not sure what to get. I was leaning towards the XBR6, originally the XBR8, but not sure what to really do. I been wondering if the jump will be that much. I know a friend that games on a 20" Samsung Monitor and it looks really nice, but I am use to the big screens and the smallest I will even consider is a 52".

#33 ·

Quote:

At the moment im playing games on my Sony Rear proj 60A3000.I just want a TV to play games on.After 2 years of reading these forums im pretty much set on getting the Sony 46Z4100.I dont need a TV with mindblowing blowing blacks when 90% of the games i plan on playing have nice big explosions going off every 2 secs.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards Sony's 4100 models - either that or a Plasma. I'm afraid to bite on a Plasma because I tend to forget to turn off the PS3, and I know that I'll come back two hours later and see Sony's XMB menu burned into my screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarduck /forum/post/15039778

I'm in the process of trying to acquire a newer, larger set that isn't plagued with lag issues, and I may have made a breakthrough. I plan on making a new thread for this in a few days if it works out.

I want to check that out. Keep us posted.

Thanks all for your help, guys! If you could suggest some HDTVs, feel free to.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmoon /forum/post/15046418

I have the same 60" SXRD that you mention. In you research, do you think you will be getting that much of an improvement for your games with a LCD Sony?

I am also in the market and been doing some research and not sure what to get. I was leaning towards the XBR6, originally the XBR8, but not sure what to really do. I been wondering if the jump will be that much. I know a friend that games on a 20" Samsung Monitor and it looks really nice, but I am use to the big screens and the smallest I will even consider is a 52".

The reason i want a LCD is that the TV im currently using is more for the family and i want something off to the side for my self.While i love playing Gears 2 at 60" on the thing from 10 feat away were the new TV will be only be 4 feet away so no reason to go beyond 46".From what ive read about the XBR6 its not worth the $500 dollar jump in price Vs the Z to me for what my uses will be.The XBR8 is more for the videophile thats willing to pay for the best TV you can get period.One big reason i like sony stuff is there extended warrantys are dirt cheap.Got the 5 year plan on my 60" for like 250 bucks.I wanna pull the trigger so badly but im gonna wait another week and look into a few more models.

As far as using a "computer monitor" for gaming i wouldnt recommend it for anyone unless your like living in a college dorm room.It sounds great in theory but in practice if you have the option of siting on your nice cumfy couch veging out playing games or siting up right in a desk chair banging your fingers on your desk every now in then it gets old fast.The only upside comes When your playing like COD4 and can pick people off so lop sidley most think your hacking.If your still intested in a good multi-purpose monitor thow get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001275 Watched someone playing ratchet and clank on that thing and it ****s all over my poor 24" westy i used for gaming before i picked up my SXRD.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/15045190

- I've seen various posts that say it's around 24-30ms, which is about a 2 frame delay. I was looking at the KDL-52W4000 and it is listed as having little to no lag on a UK site. I assumed that the KDL-52W4100 was the US version, but I'm not sure.

If you are above 5ms lag time you are going to see it (or most of you will).

#36 ·
I played Rockband on a friends A650 and noticed the lag right away. He did not though. I think for games like Rockband you can still be good because you keep in time with the audio rather than the video. At least the good players.

#40 ·

Quote:

Mooey this is what ive learned since i started shopping for a gameing only TV.

-Avoid anything that says samsung A### on it.Way to many negative posts about them

-Toshiba... I wanna beleive there turning a corner but not risking 1700 bucks on em

-Sharp stuff is still banding

-Vizio sucks

-LG i find is kinda overpriced

-Plasma is still to scary to me

-OLED afforadable in 2014

So what about Panasonic?
I know someone already mentioned them earlier this thread, but what's your input on Pannys. I have a 30" Viera and it has only 13ms of lag (almost 1 frame I think).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.