AVS Forum banner

Genesis in 5.1?

94K views 898 replies 125 participants last post by  neboat 
#1 ·
Genesis have a press conference scheduled for next week where is is expected they will announce a 2007 Reunion Tour. It is also rumoured that they will announce the release of their back catalog in SACD 5.1.

Fingers crossed!!

#653 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumacdo /forum/post/15077179

Did anyone have any luck convincing Amazon that they pre-ordered the SACD and instead received the standard CD/DVD Package ? Just back from a business trip and waiting for me was a box from Amazon. Sure enough, even though I ordered the SACD, I received the CD/DVD version instead. Anyone have any luck, or should I simply just ship it back and start looking elsewhere ?

Thanks to sharkshark, I was aware prior to shipment that amazon was likely to get the CD and SACD set mixed up, so I had called them ahead of time to make sure they understood they 'owed' me the SACD set. That worked fine, except now they are delayed on that set until christmas - even though other outlets are now shipping. The cynic in me thinks amazon will just keep delaying the set rather than send it to me for the CD price.

#654 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Tomaskovic /forum/post/15068992

Did anyone else get their order from wherehouse.com cancelled? Originally it just showed a 12/23 date and I wrote them to ask why and then they said it was discontinued and a similar item with a 12/23 date release date is now listed. They say they only sell NA releases so it would be NTSC. But they still show 2 SACD items when you search for "genesis 1970". One for 12/23 for $162 and the other temp out of stock for $124. I gotta believe one is a PAL but who knows?

It seems coincidental that my order was cancelled at the same time I got a reply from their email? I wonder if they cancelled since I complained that others were receiving it?

I did get a second mail that just said they cancelled my order, although they still show 2 items in the listing. I decided to go with HMV to ensure I got the right one and hopefully in a couple weeks.

#655 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot /forum/post/15079456

Today I listened to two versions of "Trespass"--the SACD and the DTS--both multi-channel mixes. If I did not have the SACD disc, I would find the DTS version acceptable, but being able to compare them both, I can easily hear how superior the SACD disc is.

I completely agree, the M/Ch SACD mixes are excellent and I've found that this holds true for all five discs. And I'm not normally a fan of M/Ch! PG makes reference in an interview on the bonus disc that rather than tone down the mix to the surround channels to cater for those whose rear speakers don't adequately match the fronts, they decided to do 5.1 "properly" and utilize the full potential of the format. It works beautifully, the transition of instruments from front to back and back to front is subtle yet very immersive in SACD M/Ch.

#658 ·
Be happy....be very happy....you're gonna love this box set. I've stopped listening to the discs in 2-ch SACD with my Ayre since the M/Ch SACD via my Oppo 980 is phenomenal. For example, think of the many crescendos that build during Fountain of Salmacis. In M/Ch SACD the sound starts softly in the front with Tony's keyboards, builds up in 2-ch when the drums and bass come in and then transitions and migrates to the surrounds just prior to the apex. It's wonderful! I'd say you should have a good set of full range surround speakers to get the full impact. Also, I've found the bass extension in SACD is cleaner and more defined relative to the DTS version on DVD.

#659 ·
it's stupid, but the track I most love (irrationally) on Lamb, and one I've wanted on m/c forever now, is "The Grand Parade..."

Lifeless packaging, indeed, but I'm a total sucker for crescendo, and I freakin' LOVE Phil and Pete on that track...

On a related note, I love the hell of of "Skating Away" by Tull... I've got the quad mix of War Child and it's pretty sublime. Heck, even "You Can't Always Get What you Want" or "Hey Jude" has similar, slow build structures, but, well, so does "Wonderwall".

Ah, fageddaboutit... Bring me my damn set!!!!

#660 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot /forum/post/15079456

If I did not have the SACD disc, I would find the DTS version acceptable

That's good news for me. I'm dying with anticipation, my Standard US edition is being delivered today. Too bad I'm stuck here at work!

I know that SACD quality will blow away the DTS but am still banking the DTS will blow away the Redbook Remasters from a few years ago..

Over the weekend I played Foxtrot and Nursery Cryme from the Remasters to prep myself....

#661 ·
On a related note, I love the hell of of "Skating Away" by Tull... I've got the quad mix of War Child and it's pretty sublime.

sharkshark,

I'm also a huge Jethro Tull fan and have always been interested in hearing their stuff in 5.1 Surround. After reading your post I "Googled" Warchild in 5.1 and am currently downloading it as a bit torrent file. Is that how you obtained it or did you have a Quad LP? If you got it via the bit torrent route, allow me to ask a newbie question, which is...I would assume when the file download is finished I'll have to burn it onto a DVD rather than a CD to hear the 5.1....yes?

Thanks for the idea first and the answer to this question second.

#662 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davmor@sbcglobal /forum/post/15092114

On a related note, I love the hell of of "Skating Away" by Tull... I've got the quad mix of War Child and it's pretty sublime.

I would assume when the file download is finished I'll have to burn it onto a DVD rather than a CD to hear the 5.1....yes?

Thanks for the idea first and the answer to this question second.

maybe I can answer. It would depend how the person authored the disc. There are quad transfers I've seen offered up as dts cd's, flac, dvd's with dolby digital or dts, and some even author it as a dvd-audio disc.

#663 ·
yeah, that...

DTS-CD are "lossy", DVD-A are "lossless" compressed...it all depends, naturally, on the largesse of the person who created the file.

Alas, I don't have CD4 playback from the original vinyl...

Enjoy it! While you're at it, try and track down Quadrophenia CD4 for me, please? Let alone Joni's "Hissing..." album, haven't been able to track that down either alas...

ps. Hot Butter's "Popcorn" is superwicked in Quad.

pps. BRING ME MY SET!!!

#664 ·
WOW!! Really. Ok, let me go back... I get home from work, no box... sadness. Look online still says up for today... UPS delivers up til' 7:30. Ok... take the kids to cub scouts, leave note by door expecting to come home to nothing. But then, the box!

So far my only regret is that buydotcom dropped the price $20 since I ordered it (listing for $94 for the us version now).

OK back to the real topic. Yes, I bought the non-SACD set. I listened to Foxtrot last night (older CD release labled "Definitive Remaster" (LOL)). So I broke out Foxtrot first. I started by playing the first 2 min of Watcher from the "Definitive Remaster" to do an A/B comparison to the new CD included. I had to go back and make it an A/B/A to make sure I was hearing it right. OMG even the new "CD" mix blows away the "Definitive". It's so obvious it's almost painful. It sounded so good, Phil's fills coming out like never before, but I still stopped at 2 min to put in the DVD. Elevate to another level altogether with the multichannel DTS mix. As I listened to the CD the other day I wondered if it would sound "dated" still in the surround mix. Not only does it sound completely more modern in the CD mix it is pure delight in 5.1. Every song just sounds incredible. Watcher is "heavier" than ever and just a monster. You can hear everything clearly like never before. I have some of this on vinyl and look forward to doing some comparisons there as well soon. This BLOWS doors off of the 2 post Gabriel albums I got (Duke and Trick though I do like Trick alot). I hear peaks and builds in the music, seems to have plenty of dynamics. I'm sure it's compressed compared to it's SACD twin but still.... the 96/24 DTS is bliss to me now. Suppers Ready is coming on now... have to go and close my eyes for a few. I can't wait to hear more. Buy this in any form if you like these albums... really this is worth all the wait IMHO.

-Randall

#665 ·
#667 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkshark /forum/post/15098672

Yup, if you have a SACD player... Plus, it's the PAL version for the companion disc...

Yup, I have a SACD player. The music content is the same between PAL and NTSC? Is just the DVD video that is accelerated to 25fps?

#668 ·
Ahhh! My SACD set has finally arrived. Cannot wait to give it a listen.

#670 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchot /forum/post/15107634

With so many people having Amazon screw up their orders, I forget--where did you buy it from again? PAL or NTSC?

And, of course, we want to hear your thoughts on the box set...

Got the SACD/PAL set though amazon in the UK. I can play both NTSC/PAL - and don't really care about the video side of the set anyhow! Got a good price given the current exchange rates.

Cannot wait to play these discs!

#671 ·
You might care about the DVD side of the set when you see what they did with Lamb. It's more than just slides and totally compliments the music!

I've now played all but the bonus disc and each is really amazing compared to prior mixes. The surround mixes are all done very well without being gimicky. These albums have never sounded this good before and they are some of my personal favorites.

#672 ·
I watched the video extras last night. I hadn't seen the VH1 archive before and the videos of WOTS and TMB brought back nice memories of seeing them do the songs live and gave me goose bumps. Today I'll be firing up the tubes and listening to the SACDs.

larry

#673 ·
Listened to Trespass last night - an excellent, if underappreciated album - and if it is any indication, this is the best sounding set. I suppose these early albums have always been my favorites, showcasing a band at the peak of it creative prowess, thus biasing my view a bit, but WOW!

I hear very little of the compression that detracted somewhat from the earlier sets, and the surround mix is done quite tastefully and effectively. Peter Gabriels voice has never been clearer and you can hear things that were never apparent in earlier incarnations of these recordings - including, funnily enough, Tony Banks backing vocals which come through quite clearly and distinctly in places.

The bass is awesome - particularly on White Mountain (one of my personal faves) and The Knife. I have spent both time and cash over the years trying to get world-class bass out of my surround sound system to the point where seven subs are required to fully smooth out the lumpy bass response in my room. It is on recordings like this that the investment is borne out - fabulous!

I look forward to going through 'Cryme tonight.

What a shame that more people havn't been able or willing to appreciate the incredible experience of hi-rez surround sound music, and that more bands/record labels haven't had the courage and vision to release more recordings like this. Sigh!

#674 ·
So far I'm quite happy. I'm half-way through Foxtrot after listening to Trespass and Nursery Cryme. The sound gets better with each disc most likey due to the quality of the masters as tech progressed 30 some odd years ago. I'm listening to 2ch SACD. This is the best this music has sounded (recorded).

larry

#676 ·
So how long we going to have to wait for "From Genesis to Revelation" to come out on SACD?
I did listen to all the discs yesterday. Some songs "critically", others not so much because I was working. I'm not going to complain at all, I'm very happy. It was worth the wait.

larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.