AVS Forum banner

Sioux City, IA / Sioux Falls, SD - HDTV

216K views 2K replies 137 participants last post by  rhubarbpieguy 
#1 ·
I have been posting in the Des Moines forum but I thought it was time for a Siouxland thread. I have a Hitachi 61" with an integrated digital tuner. I have an all channel antenna with a rotor to pick up the local ABC and NBC digital feeds. On other local forums the engineers from the local stations contribute and I hope that happens here. That way we can get accurate information about the digital transmissions. I encourage anyone in Siouxland to share their experience with HDTV and OTA digital reception.

#1,204 ·
Any DirecTV package will get you locals, but you will need the $10 HD package to get them in HD (11,13 and 46). For those that are getting HD on one receiver and not the other, you may need to go to the DirecTV website and reactivate that receiver... the push should allow the channels to show.

#1,206 ·
I found it odd that I haven't seen any posts lately about KTTW-DT.

I haven't been able to get the channel in very often lately. It seems like it's been down more often than up. Is that what the rest of you are seeing?

I live pretty close to the tower. When it's up, it comes in pretty strong (even if 90% of the programming is stretched out SD material.)

#1,207 ·
D* Locals update - now I am getting locals on the H23s except one of them doesn't get 46. The same one also quit receiving NFLHD and my 206 ESPN was pixelating today. I've got someone coming Monday, but I'm sure nothing will get resolved.

My old LNB had problems when it was below zero, but this shouldn't be a temperature problem.

#1,208 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker /forum/post/15058495

What channel #'s are they on D*? I have the box with the OTA tuner so I already have the Sioux Falls channels integrated into the program guide on the "proper" channels (11, 13, 46).

I had to add the locals package on as I had not had them in the past. That is an extra $2.99. If you have that subscribtion, you should see them as 11,13,17,20,23,46. No HD 17,20 or 23 though. Your OTA locals should show as 11-1, etc.

The 23 you get is not the local PBS though so you can't see HS Football on that channel. You still have to go OTA.

D* Customer service thought I should be receiving both HD and SD locals including 36, but she is obviously misinformed.

#1,209 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFluth /forum/post/15051357

Any DirecTV package will get you locals, but you will need the $10 HD package to get them in HD (11,13 and 46). For those that are getting HD on one receiver and not the other, you may need to go to the DirecTV website and reactivate that receiver... the push should allow the channels to show.

I've done this a couple of times and been on the phone with CS twice. I have also gone thorugh the setup a couple of times. This seems to be hard to pin down. Wondering if I have a faulty LNB or something.

#1,210 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestor87 /forum/post/15041516

I'm having the same problem - getting a multiswitch error - with my H20 receiver. My HR20 DVR picks up the new channels just fine, so I know it's not really a multiswitch problem.

My H23 with the issues seems to be working now. I powered down. Unplugged it. Unplugged my sat cable. Waited a minute. Plugged cable back in. Plugged power back in. Powered up. Now I get all locals.

Just before this, I went through the channels and besides not receiving 212 NFLHD, I was not receiving about 14 other of the new MPEG4 channels.

Hitting the red reset button or redoing the setup did not help this. So I did the above and now those channels work also. Go figure.

#1,211 ·
Hi, everybody. For people in the Sioux City area, with CableOne service, did you notice that CableOne suddenly dropped most of the "free" HD channels they had been providing with just basic service? They still have the local channels, but the others (like Universal HD, Discovery HD, ESPNHD, etc) were apparently just "free trials" to give us an example of what HD programming was out there.

The explanation we were given is that these other channels are now requiring the channels to be scrambled so they can get paid extra for each subscriber.

I guess it's true...there's no free lunch.

#1,212 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadsen /forum/post/15095486

Hi, everybody. For people in the Sioux City area, with CableOne service, did you notice that CableOne suddenly dropped most of the "free" HD channels they had been providing with just basic service? They still have the local channels, but the others (like Universal HD, Discovery HD, ESPNHD, etc) were apparently just "free trials" to give us an example of what HD programming was out there.

The explanation we were given is that these other channels are now requiring the channels to be scrambled so they can get paid extra for each subscriber.

Yea, I mentioned this was coming about 2 weeks ago. The advantages of cable are becoming slim to none. If DTV would offer SC locals....

I also wonder if in Feb 2009 whether cable will finally drop all the analog channels via the box - what a wonderful day that would be.

#1,214 ·
I live in the 26th & Sertoma area of Sioux Falls; I was getting KTTW-DT for a couple of days, albeit with occasional artifacts and audio drops. Now it hasn't come in again for a while. I'm using a DA-5200 HDTV Outdoor/Indoor Antenna from Radio Shack. I'd have put up the link except I have to have three posts first!
Anyone know if KTTW's taken the transmitter offline again? The other three come in great, although as it's gotten colder, one or more of those will drop off at times. I'm scanning them in through a ViP722 HD receiver from Dish.

I'd rather Dish just hurry up and get the HD locals but I doubt it will happen anytime soon...

#1,215 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf.359 /forum/post/15110441

I live in the 26th & Sertoma area of Sioux Falls; I was getting KTTW-DT for a couple of days, albeit with occasional artifacts and audio drops. Now it hasn't come in again for a while. I'm using a DA-5200 HDTV Outdoor/Indoor Antenna from Radio Shack. I'd have put up the link except I have to have three posts first!
Anyone know if KTTW's taken the transmitter offline again? The other three come in great, although as it's gotten colder, one or more of those will drop off at times. I'm scanning them in through a ViP722 HD receiver from Dish.

I'd rather Dish just hurry up and get the HD locals but I doubt it will happen anytime soon...

I don't watch FOX all the time, but whenever I do, it seems to be up and OK. I see the antenna you have comes with RG59U cable. Maybe if you tried RG6 quad-shielded, you may get better reception - less dropouts. Just a thought.

#1,217 ·
No, I don't have any info. It would be nice if both DishNetwork and DirecTV would start carrying the Sioux City locals is digital channels, including the HD programming...but I'm not holding my breath.

By the way, as of this past Wednesday (12/ 3) I'm no longer with KTIV. They decided as a budget cutting measure to eliminate my position, and also laid off three other people.

Dave Madsen

formerly with KTIV-TV

Sioux City

#1,218 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadsen /forum/post/15095486

Hi people. As far as HD TV is to go, dont look for for Cable ONE to give any free channels on cable. Local channels have 2 yrs to broadcast in anolg. Look For a charge for are local channels aso once they decide to broadcast in HD. I made sure when I purchased both of my Hd Tvs I bought them with twin tunners, and also bought 2 HDS anntennas. I watch our local channels with my anntennas alot and think its a better picture then Cable One has. Cable Ones price keep on increasing but with less channels Its going to be and ongoing war with HD channels just like Cable and sattelite still do. Dave I want you to know you were a great asset to Siouxland community. Im sorry to hear about your job loss i feel the pain with you Im unemployed myself. Sioux City is dryed up.

#1,219 ·
Hi Dave sorry to here about the job loss it happened to me also. Soon people will say wheres Sioux City? No growth or jobs in the fricken town and the city dont want any good paying jobs or growth in the Siouxland area. See it filters down from are great city leaders down to local bussinesses, if you get my drift.

#1,220 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggert /forum/post/15258426

Hi people. As far as HD TV is to go, dont look for for Cable ONE to give any free channels on cable. Local channels have 2 yrs to broadcast in anolg. Look For a charge for are local channels aso once they decide to broadcast in HD.

Its been my understanding that legally cable must provide the SD/HD locals for "free". I guess we'll find out if that's the case or not.

#1,222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmadsen /forum/post/15264711

Cable is not required to provide HD signals for free. They are required to provide an analog version of the local stations for their customers who only have analog TV's, but it does NOT have to be the HD feed.

Dave Madsen

Dave,

There seems to be confusion and misinformation on this subject on the internet forums and technical articles. Is it FCC regulation that if cable carries HD locals at all, they must be unencrypted QAM and of the same quality as other HD channels offered?

My understanding from doing some reading is they do not have to offer locals in HD at all, but that if they do, they can't charge extra for them.

Right? Wrong?

#1,223 ·
Sounds like Young Broadcasting wants to get paid by DISH for rebroadcasting its signal.

DISH Network's contract with KELO-TV/KCLO-TV expires on December 10, 2008 at midnight. KELO-TV/KCLO-TV offered to extend the contract in an attempt to reach an agreement with DISH. The extension was not accepted by DISH. For the past several months our company has attempted to reach a new agreement with DISH Network. Unfortunately DISH Network has elected not to accept our proposal.

More info at the KELO web site.

Hopefully, since we just got SF HD locals on D* that they have already worked something out with Young.

#1,224 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan /forum/post/15272154

Dave,

There seems to be confusion and misinformation on this subject on the internet forums and technical articles. Is it FCC regulation that if cable carries HD locals at all, they must be unencrypted QAM and of the same quality as other HD channels offered?

My understanding from doing some reading is they do not have to offer locals in HD at all, but that if they do, they can't charge extra for them.

Right? Wrong?

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to that one. It's something I've never discussed with the local CableOne manager.

#1,225 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben L C /forum/post/15230911

Does anyone have any idea if Sioux City will be getting Directv locals? Just deciding if I need to 'move' to a Sioux Falls area!!

Dave Madsen, Do you have any info on this?

Sioux Falls is ranked 113th with 260,000 households and Sioux City is ranked 149th with 155,000 households. It could be awhile before D* does something in Sioux City even though they say they are in 150 markets in SD.

If you are talking about moving to get HD channels, those are on a spotbeam to the local area and I have no idea how big that spot beam is. My Mom is 100 mi west of Sioux Falls and the D* site shows she could get HD locals. She doesn't have the equipment so I don't know for sure.

#1,226 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVfan /forum/post/15272198

Hopefully, since we just got SF HD locals on D* that they have already worked something out with Young.

They haven't, according to www.keloland.com .

Quad Cities area E* subscribers are in a similar situation, except they lost the NBC station.