AVS Forum banner
2M views 15K replies 2K participants last post by  dcviewer22 
#1 ·
Circuit City online has gotten the new Panasonic players in a bit earlier than expected and the first orders are shipping today. Those that opted for "express" shipping (like me
) will begin receiving players on Tuesday the 14th. It is time for a new owners thread.

I have owned the previous Panasonic BD30, as well as numerous other models. I currently have the LG BH200 and PS3 in my system for comparison and I'll be posting my comments on the new Panasonic BD35.

See less See more
#4,181 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayridescarbon /forum/post/15185418

Quote:
You may want to go to a store carrying the BD55, and ask them to demonstrate both lossy and lossless, to see if it's a big enough difference to your ears.

I'd love to see the salesman try to figure out how to do this.

If he hooked it via both coaxil and HDMI, and switched back and forth, that should do the trick, no?

#4,182 ·
We probably could use an "Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Setting Thread" with a sticky, which could probably save on some of the repetitive questions, and a useful resource to those unfamiliar with how to hook the BD player up to their receiver.

#4,184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/15186840

If he hooked it via both coaxil and HDMI, and switched back and forth, that should do the trick, no?

First, you'd have to level match both outputs (they won't be the same). Second, setting up a truly blind listening test (A/B/X) is very time and labor intensive, not something someone is likely to do given the very tiny margins on these products. Third, even the higher end demo rooms at big box retailers still contain huge levels of ambient noise, multiple sets of speakers, etc.

While I happen to feel there is a difference between some lossy and lossless tracks, there is no way the difference is big enough to be picked up in that sort of setting. The only way to tell is to buy the player (the 55 in this thread), set it up and calibrate it for both analog and digital outputs, then play a few discs you know and enjoy. If you hear the difference, keep the 55. If you don't, return it for the 35.

To date, the two tracks I find consistently demonstrate a benefit for lossless are Master and Commander (both the difference in the strings in musical passages and the clarity of dialogue during loud battle scenes) and Immortal Beloved (the musical passages). One other point to consider: While I may not notice specific differences, both my wife and I are less aurally fatigued at the end of movies with lossless tracks than with lossy. I never get the desire to turn the volume down as I do with some lossy tracks.

#4,185 ·
I purchased a BD35 this weekend b/c I was tired of dragging my ps3 between my bedroom and theater for blu-ray movies. After connecting it to my Onkyo 604 via hdmi the picture sometimes shows up but most times it takes longer. Last night while having some friends over to watch Hellboy 2 it took over 20 minutes before the picture showed.

I connected it straight to my kuro and it shows instantly every time the Panny is powered on and off. I've tried different cables and nothing works consistently with the Onkyo. Why oh why does the PS3 and other blu-ray players I've had (bdp-1000, S1) work flawlessly with the Onkyo 604 but the Panny doesn't. I didn't won't to purchase another PS3 but it looks like I'm going to be forced to b/c I need a player that can decode DTS Master Audio internally.

I've updated the firmware to 1.5 but it still a no go... I don't know what else to do but return it.

Any suggestions?

#4,186 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/15186853

We probably could use an "Official Panasonic DMP-BD35/55 Setting Thread" with a sticky, which could probably save on some of the repetitive questions, and a useful resource to those unfamiliar with how to hook the BD player up to their receiver.

How about a continually-updated FAQ on the first post of this thread.

#4,187 ·
On my 35, I tried to play a short video I recorded using AVCHD on a 2gb SD card by inserting the SD card into the slot. It displayed the still picture of the first frame of the video but I couldn't get it to play at all. Is there some setting I'm missing or is this impossible to do on the player? It displayed the individual pictures I took (Panasonic Lumix camera) but wouldn't play the video.

Any help?

#4,188 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opuntia /forum/post/15187190

How about a continually-updated FAQ on the first post of this thread.

Also a good idea, however, a lot of those who view a thread with more than a few pages, tend to go to the last page.

#4,189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_leak /forum/post/15187035

I purchased a BD35 this weekend b/c I was tired of dragging my ps3 between my bedroom and theater for blu-ray movies. After connecting it to my Onkyo 604 via hdmi the picture sometimes shows up but most times it takes longer. Last night while having some friends over to watch Hellboy 2 it took over 20 minutes before the picture showed.

I connected it straight to my kuro and it shows instantly every time the Panny is powered on and off. I've tried different cables and nothing works consistently with the Onkyo. Why oh why does the PS3 and other blu-ray players I've had (bdp-1000, S1) work flawlessly with the Onkyo 604 but the Panny doesn't. I didn't won't to purchase another PS3 but it looks like I'm going to be forced to b/c I need a player that can decode DTS Master Audio internally.

I've updated the firmware to 1.5 but it still a no go... I don't know what else to do but return it.

Any suggestions?

It's the HDMI handshake problem between the 35 and the 604. Try using another HDMI cable which is 1.3 certified. You can get it cheap at monoprice. I have the same problem before with my BD55 going to an Onkyo604 and was fixed using the 1.3 certified HDMI cable.

#4,190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLN987S /forum/post/15187409

It's the HDMI handshake problem between the 35 and the 604. Try using another HDMI cable which is 1.3 certified. You can get it cheap at monoprice. I have the same problem before with my BD55 going to an Onkyo604 and was fixed using the 1.3 certified HDMI cable.

Thanks for the reply.

I purchased (4) 3 foot HDMI 1.3a cables last month from monoprice, I'll try a different one when I get home though. I'm vexed by this.

#4,191 ·
I ordered the BD55, and plan on hooking it up to an older receiver (Sony STRE875) via analog 5.1. My question is, how do I boost the LFE if my receiver doesn't give me the option? Would I get the same result in lowering the db of all the other speakers, while leaving the sub at 0db in the BD55 multichannel setup menu, and how by how much would I lower the others?

Thanks

#4,192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLN987S /forum/post/15187409

I have a similar problem with my BD-55. I had been using a BD-30 for a year, through a Terk HDMI switcher. When I swapped out the BD-55, I couldn't get a picture through the Terk. I had to plug directly into the TV. I use Blue Jean's HDMI cables. Why did the BD-30 work and BD-55 not? I'm still patched directly - the problem hasn't been resolved.

#4,193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/15186840

Well, he/she would also have to know the decode capability of the receiver they were using and then know whether to set up the digital output as bitstream or pcm and whether to have secondary audio on/off. I think knowing all that would be iffy in a big box store.

#4,194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayridescarbon /forum/post/15187585

Well, he/she would also have to know the decode capability of the receiver they were using and then know whether to set up the digital output as bitstream or pcm and whether to have secondary audio on/off. I think knowing all that would be iffy in a big box store.

You're right, I guess I was giving them too much credit.

#4,195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnewmanpac /forum/post/15186966

First, you'd have to level match both outputs (they won't be the same). Second, setting up a truly blind listening test (A/B/X) is very time and labor intensive, not something someone is likely to do given the very tiny margins on these products. Third, even the higher end demo rooms at big box retailers still contain huge levels of ambient noise, multiple sets of speakers, etc.

While I happen to feel there is a difference between some lossy and lossless tracks, there is no way the difference is big enough to be picked up in that sort of setting. The only way to tell is to buy the player (the 55 in this thread), set it up and calibrate it for both analog and digital outputs, then play a few discs you know and enjoy. If you hear the difference, keep the 55. If you don't, return it for the 35.

To date, the two tracks I find consistently demonstrate a benefit for lossless are Master and Commander (both the difference in the strings in musical passages and the clarity of dialogue during loud battle scenes) and Immortal Beloved (the musical passages). One other point to consider: While I may not notice specific differences, both my wife and I are less aurally fatigued at the end of movies with lossless tracks than with lossy. I never get the desire to turn the volume down as I do with some lossy tracks.

Excellent point about the lack of aural fatigue as a criteria for the quality of audio.

#4,196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/15187544

I ordered the BD55, and plan on hooking it up to an older receiver (Sony STRE875) via analog 5.1. My question is, how do I boost the LFE if my receiver doesn't give me the option? Would I get the same result in lowering the db of all the other speakers, while leaving the sub at 0db in the BD55 multichannel setup menu, and how by how much would I lower the others?

Many AVRs have a specific setting to boost the sub for the external inputs by 5db, 10db, or 15db. Or, if your AVR allows you do level trims for the analogs, then simply increase the volume there.

If your receiver doesn't have a way for you do the required boost, you have a couple of options. You can turn up the volume at the sub. Of course, that will give your digital sources too much bass. So, you will need to recalibrate your receiver by reducing the sub for the digital inputs by the same amount your turned up the sub.

Or, you can lower the output of the non-LFE channels in the player, which has the same effect as boosting the sub. But, you can't lower the front channels far enough in the BD55 (only 6db). Besides, the overall volume will end up too low and you will need to crank it up on your receiver. That raises the noise floor, which is not a good idea.

#4,197 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/15186037

I think you are worrying needlessly here.

Chris Boylan agrees.

-Chris Boylan

I'm Chris Boylan and I approved this message.

#4,198 ·
thank you for taking the time to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/15187967

Many AVRs have a specific setting to boost the sub for the external inputs by 5db, 10db, or 15db. Or, if your AVR allows you do level trims for the analogs, then simply increase the volume there.

I'm not sure I follow you there. I'm not sure what is meant by "trims", is that treble and bass on the fronts and rears, and where would I look for them on my receiver?

Quote:

If your receiver doesn’t have a way for you do the required boost, you have a couple of options. You can turn up the volume at the sub. Of course, that will give your digital sources too much bass. So, you will need to recalibrate your receiver by reducing the sub for the digital inputs by the same amount your turned up the sub.

Not exactly sure how to do that.

Quote:

Or, you can lower the output of the non-LFE channels in the player, which has the same effect as boosting the sub. But, you can't lower the front channels far enough in the BD55 (only 6db). Besides, the overall volume will end up too low and you will need to crank it up on your receiver. That raises the noise floor, which is not a good idea.

I don't think that I want that.

Maybe I should just use the digital coax (this will give me lossy 5.1 from all the HD codecs, right?), until such time as I can update my receiver?

#4,199 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J /forum/post/15187318

On my 35, I tried to play a short video I recorded using AVCHD on a 2gb SD card by inserting the SD card into the slot. It displayed the still picture of the first frame of the video but I couldn't get it to play at all. Is there some setting I'm missing or is this impossible to do on the player? It displayed the individual pictures I took (Panasonic Lumix camera) but wouldn't play the video.

Any help?

Are you sure it's AVCHD? I'm pretty sure Lumix digital cameras don't record their video clips in AVCHD (even the LX3 which does record clips at 720p). I think those record in QuickTime JPEG format.

I think you need one of Panasonic's video cameras to get AVCHD clips (or a Canon or one of the other manufacturers). If you're indeed talking about using a card from an actual VIDEO camera with clips in AVCHD format then... never mind.

-CB

#4,200 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas_leak /forum/post/15187475

Thanks for the reply.

I purchased (4) 3 foot HDMI 1.3a cables last month from monoprice, I'll try a different one when I get home though. I'm vexed by this.

HDMI is awesome, except when it sucks. The 604 was HDMI 1.1 and the BD55 is HDMI 1.3. This is not to say that the BD55 *should* have problems negotiating with the TX-SR604, but I'm not surprised that it does. And unfortunately if it is the Onkyo receiver's "fault," you're not going to have much fun getting that upgraded without a service call.

Try a couple of different cables as has been suggested. I have seen cheap cables cause problems (sparklies or image drop-outs), but usually only when they are really long or when they are mechanically defective in some way.

You might also try a specific power up order (display, then receiver, then player) and see if this helps. This way by the time the player needs to negotiate the handshake, the display devices are already powered up and happy (a technical term).

-CB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.