AVS Forum banner
2M views 15K replies 2K participants last post by  dcviewer22 
#1 ·
Circuit City online has gotten the new Panasonic players in a bit earlier than expected and the first orders are shipping today. Those that opted for "express" shipping (like me
) will begin receiving players on Tuesday the 14th. It is time for a new owners thread.

I have owned the previous Panasonic BD30, as well as numerous other models. I currently have the LG BH200 and PS3 in my system for comparison and I'll be posting my comments on the new Panasonic BD35.

See less See more
#4,201 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moovtune /forum/post/15187570

I have a similar problem with my BD-55. I had been using a BD-30 for a year, through a Terk HDMI switcher. When I swapped out the BD-55, I couldn't get a picture through the Terk. I had to plug directly into the TV. I use Blue Jean's HDMI cables. Why did the BD-30 work and BD-55 not? I'm still patched directly - the problem hasn't been resolved.

It's unlikely that Terk switcher is HDMI 1.3 compliant or certified. Even the cheap monoprice HDMI switchers have handshake issues with the BD35/BD55.

Try the more expensive 1.3b-certified monoprice switcher (you can probably search this thread to find the model number or some helpful soul will reply with it), or the Oppo HM-31, both of which are know to work with the BD55. I've also used a Cables-to-Go 5-port HDMI switch to good effect with this player.

-CB

#4,202 ·
I got my BD35 on Wednesday. We used Wall-E as our inaugural Blu-Ray and were blown away by the quality. We had been using an old Sony progressive scan DVD player with our Westinghouse 42" for a couple years, and I've been struggling that whole time with finding settings that worked (it was either too washed out or too dark, with details getting lost in shadows). But for the BD35, I just used the settings I use on my HDMI input and everything looked fantastic, both on Blu-Ray and on regular DVD.

As for the full setup, it's connected to our TV via a HDMI-to-DVI cable (the TV only has one HDMI input – once we get the Apple TV, we'll need to get a switch). The audio output is via optical to a fairly old, but still totally reliable, RCA 5.1 surround receiver, using the speakers it came with.

I do have one question regarding BD-Live. I'm sorry if it doesn't belong here, but I couldn't seem to find the appropriate forum. I'd like to hook the player up to our network, but our router is in the bedroom. I thought a powerline adapter would work, but I'm told they don't work so well once extension cords and power strips get involved. Is there another way to connect the player, maybe some sort of ethernet-to-wifi bridge? Running cables through the walls isn't an option, since we rent. Any suggestions?

#4,203 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by boylan13 /forum/post/15188131

Are you sure it's AVCHD? I'm pretty sure Lumix digital cameras don't record their video clips in AVCHD (even the LX3 which does record clips at 720p). I think those record in QuickTime JPEG format.

I think you need one of Panasonic's video cameras to get AVCHD clips (or a Canon or one of the other manufacturers). If you're indeed talking about using a card from an actual VIDEO camera with clips in AVCHD format then... never mind.

-CB

Ah, you are right - it is in quicktime, not AVCHD. So will the BD35 play this format off of the SD card? If not, is there any way to see it on my TV?

#4,204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J /forum/post/15188240

Ah, you are right - it is in quicktime, not AVCHD. So will the BD35 play this format off of the SD card? If not, is there any way to see it on my TV?

Nope. You'll have to play it back via the camera's (non-HD) video output cable into the TV. You could also probably find a utility on the PC (or Mac) that would convert QuickTime movies to AVCHD files and put that on a card and read it. But that's not quite as convenient, now is it?

-CB

#4,206 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkur /forum/post/15188275

I've been out of the scene for quite awhile.

My HDTV does not have hdmi. Is it possible to play a bluray disc at 1080i via component? Does any player?

Thanks for the help.

Shouldn't be a problem with either of the players in this thread or any Blu-Ray player that has component outputs. I don't believe you can do 1080P though, and I'm told the image isn't *quite* as good, but if your screen is below a certain size and properly calibrated, it won't make a big difference.

#4,207 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetzel1517 /forum/post/15188228

I got my BD35 on Wednesday. We used Wall-E as our inaugural Blu-Ray and were blown away by the quality. We had been using an old Sony progressive scan DVD player with our Westinghouse 42" for a couple years, and I've been struggling that whole time with finding settings that worked (it was either too washed out or too dark, with details getting lost in shadows). But for the BD35, I just used the settings I use on my HDMI input and everything looked fantastic, both on Blu-Ray and on regular DVD.

As for the full setup, it's connected to our TV via a HDMI-to-DVI cable (the TV only has one HDMI input – once we get the Apple TV, we'll need to get a switch). The audio output is via optical to a fairly old, but still totally reliable, RCA 5.1 surround receiver, using the speakers it came with.

I do have one question regarding BD-Live. I'm sorry if it doesn't belong here, but I couldn't seem to find the appropriate forum. I'd like to hook the player up to our network, but our router is in the bedroom. I thought a powerline adapter would work, but I'm told they don't work so well once extension cords and power strips get involved. Is there another way to connect the player, maybe some sort of ethernet-to-wifi bridge? Running cables through the walls isn't an option, since we rent. Any suggestions?

The search function is your friend.
Search this thread for "wireless", and you'll see some options.

And you'll need at least a 1 GB SD card installed in the player for BD-Live to work.

#4,208 ·
I have a Marantz projector and an Aragon StageOne pre/pro that are have no HDMI inputs.

On Saturday, I bought the BD55 because it outputs hi-res audio and Hi-res video via analog jacks. However, when I got the unit home and opened the box I realized that it does not play DVD-A discs. If I choose to keep the BD55, I will have three disc players; BD 55 Blur Ray player, Panasonic DVD/DVD-A player and a Sony SCAD player.

Is there a BlueRay player on the market that outputs hi-res audio and Hi-res video via analog jacks AND plays DVD-A discs.

#4,209 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/15188085

I'm not sure I follow you there. I'm not sure what is meant by "trims", is that treble and bass on the fronts and rears, and where would I look for them on my receiver?

Sorry. That's just volume adjustments for the individual channels. Most AVRs allow you to have different levels for each input, including the analog inputs. So, if your AVr doesn't have a specific setting to boost the subwoofer for analog, then you can raise the volume on the sub for the analog inputs.

Quote:
Not exactly sure how to do that.

re: re-calibrating the digital inputs. This means re-doing your original receiver setup. If it had an auto config system using a mic, simply run that again with the sub at its new, higher volume. The receiver software will lower the output of the sub channel to compensate for its new, higher volume level.

Quote:
Maybe I should just use the digital coax (this will give me lossy 5.1 from all the HD codecs, right?), until such time as I can update my receiver?

The lossy formats are encoded at higher bitrates than you get on DVD. They may sound just as good as lossless and they're a lot easier to use. By the same token, they may sound every bit as good as lossless over HDMI. So, a new receiver may not give you better sound either.

I hope this is clearer than my original post.

#4,210 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyK /forum/post/15188697

Is there a BlueRay player on the market that outputs hi-res audio and Hi-res video via analog jacks AND plays DVD-A discs.

No. The long since discontinued BD10A was the only player that did DVD-Audio and it can't decode dts-MA. Oppo has a player due out in 2009 that will likely do SACD and may do DVD-Audio, but that seems less likely from what I have read. I don't think Oppo has published specs yet. I believe there's a super high end Denon player in the works that will do all formats. But, it'll cost a bundle.

#4,211 ·
I purchased BD-35 from Amazon a week back. Connected to my TV with HDMI for both audio and video. No connection to home theater.

While i was watching few discs, the audio frequently stops for about 10 to 15 seconds and comes back, but the video is fine. It did not happen to other discs. I was wondering if any one had such issue before..

I am thinking its some issue with the discs, but not sure. does any one have similar problem?

thanks.

#4,212 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/15187544

I ordered the BD55, and plan on hooking it up to an older receiver (Sony STRE875) via analog 5.1. My question is, how do I boost the LFE if my receiver doesn't give me the option? Would I get the same result in lowering the db of all the other speakers, while leaving the sub at 0db in the BD55 multichannel setup menu, and how by how much would I lower the others?

Thanks

Exactly.

Since a lot of receivers only pass through analog info (in essence the receiver only really acts as an amp) you would set up the analog speaker levels in the BD55. If you can't boost the LFE, bring the speaker levels down about 10 db.

I do it this way and it works well. My receiver does allow me to boost speaker levels but it applies the settings to both analog and digital, so I just set it up for digital and use the player to tweak it for analog.

#4,213 ·
I just hooked up the BD35 & I get no picture when going through my Onkyo

SR605 using HDMI. My TV is a Toshiba Rear Projection that uses DVI. When I hooked up to the DVI the picture was good. I think I'm going to need a firmware update for my Onkyo. My HD-DVD player has always worked through HDMI.

#4,214 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/15187544

I ordered the BD55, and plan on hooking it up to an older receiver (Sony STRE875) via analog 5.1. My question is, how do I boost the LFE if my receiver doesn't give me the option? Would I get the same result in lowering the db of all the other speakers, while leaving the sub at 0db in the BD55 multichannel setup menu, and how by how much would I lower the others?

Thanks

Lower all of the other speakers to -10db. That's what I have done and it's working fine.

#4,215 ·
That's a bummer. My stageOne pre/pro has a DB25 jack for surround input. That means that I'll have to pop over $100 to get a DB25-RCA cable and a 3 pole DB25 switch box to switch between the BlueRay player, DVD-A player and the SCAD player.

#4,216 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longballsd /forum/post/15188994

Lower all of the other speakers to -10db. That's what I have done and it's working fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider33 /forum/post/15188812

If you can't boost the LFE, bring the speaker levels down about 10 db.

This will work if you can actually lower the other channels that much coming out of the player. The BD55 only allows for a -6db output of the front mains.

But, that approach increases the noise floor because you have to crank up the overall receiver volume quite a bit with the channel trims dropped down so low. It is better (and, admittedly more work) to turn up the volume knob on the sub to get the analogs right and then to recalibrate your digital inputs by reducing the sub output for them. Everything will be balanced and will require no "on the fly" sub adjustments.

Of course, if you are happy with another approach, then use it.

#4,217 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/15188728

Sorry. That’s just volume adjustments for the individual channels. Most AVRs allow you to have different levels for each input, including the analog inputs. So, if your AVr doesn't have a specific setting to boost the subwoofer for analog, then you can raise the volume on the sub for the analog inputs.

re: re-calibrating the digital inputs. This means re-doing your original receiver setup. If it had an auto config system using a mic, simply run that again with the sub at its new, higher volume. The receiver software will lower the output of the sub channel to compensate for its new, higher volume level.

Mine isn't hat sophisticated

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/15188728

The lossy formats are encoded at higher bitrates than you get on DVD. They may sound just as good as lossless and they’re a lot easier to use. By the same token, they may sound every bit as good as lossless over HDMI. So, a new receiver may not give you better sound either.

I hope this is clearer than my original post.

Yes, thanks.

Will I get 5.1 from TrueDD & DTS MA core also, or 2.0, and 5.1 from DD & DTS only (using digital coax)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider33 /forum/post/15188812

Exactly.

Since a lot of receivers only pass through analog info (in essence the receiver only really acts as an amp) you would set up the analog speaker levels in the BD55. If you can't boost the LFE, bring the speaker levels down about 10 db.

I do it this way and it works well. My receiver does allow me to boost speaker levels but it applies the settings to both analog and digital, so I just set it up for digital and use the player to tweak it for analog.

I was just wondering if it would muffle the center channel somewhat and reduce clarity of the center channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longballsd /forum/post/15188994

That's in the receiver, not in the B55, right?

I'll check my receiver when I get home. Thanks again to all three of you for your help.

#4,218 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/15189085

This will work if you can actually lower the other channels that much coming out of the player. The BD55 only allows for a -6db output of the front mains.

But, that approach increases the noise floor because you have to crank up the overall receiver volume quite a bit with the channel trims dropped down so low. It is better (and, admittedly more work) to turn up the volume knob on the sub to get the analogs right and then to recalibrate your digital inputs by reducing the sub output for them. Everything will be balanced and will require no "on the fly" sub adjustments.

BIslander,

This leads to another question then and I guess I should just "mess around" with it to see what sounds the best.

I set my receiver settings for the mains to -10db. The setting are 0 or -10db only. I then set the sub to 0 and the center and surrounds to -10db.

What affect now will the player settings have? I think I have the settings in the player all at -6db. Should I just change these player settings to 0 and then just turn up the sub?

Thanks

#4,219 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/15189085

Hmm, didn't realize the 55 will only allow the 6 db drop.

Shouldn't be a problem to turn the sub up and bring down the digital side in the receiver to compensate

#4,220 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsskid /forum/post/15189221

That's in the receiver, not B55, right?

I'll check my receiver when I get home. Thanks again to all three of you for your help.

I made the settings in the receiver. Also, be sure that your speakers are set to LARGE if your speakers can handle it as it sends more LFE to the sub.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.