Official JVC RS10/HD350 Owners Thread!

350K views 2K replies 361 participants last post by  bazulkosergey 
#1 ·

JVC LINKS
Product page at Pro.JVC.com
Link To Brochure for the RS10 and RS20
RS10 Manual.PDF
RS-232C and Infrared

Remote Control Guide & HEX Codes (Thanks GaryB-UK)

RS10 Frimware update. This update improves IR sensor detection.
REVIEWS
A first Look by Jason Turk of AVS
Art @ ProjectorReviews.com
CNET UK
Cine4Home Preview of the RS20 with some info from a Pre-Production RS10
Review by Phil Hinton of AVforums
Phil Hinton Video Review
Review by John Archer of TrustedReviews

SPECS
-Enhanced 0.7-inch Full HD D-ILA devices and improved optical engine deliver the

native contrast ratio of 32,000:1 (maximum, depends on aperture setting)

for deep, true black level without a trace of gray.

-Compatibility with the latest HDMI version 1.3 (Deep Color) specifications means that this

projector can reproduce billions of colors and subtler shades of grayscale.

-Full 2.35:1 wide cinematic movie enjoyment via built in vertical stretch capability.

-Ultra quiet 19dB operation (in low lamp mode)

-Two trigger functions (screen or anamorphic lens)

-6 Point Custom Color Management.

-High-performance 2x zoom lens with motorized focus and zoom, enables flexible set-up.

-HQV Reon-VX video processor by Silicon Optix

-1000 lumen brightness with a three step fixed aperture

-Resolution 1920 x 1080 pixels

-Projection size 60 - 200 inches

-Customized gamma control on-screen

-Sleek black cabinet with black non-reflective front panel

-Wide Lens shift function (V: 80%, H: 34%)

-High-performance 2x motorized zoom lens and focus (f=21.4mm — 42.8mm, F=3.2 — 4)

-Easy-to-use self-illuminated remote control

-User Friendly Image adjustment menu

-Built in test patterns

-6 Point Custom Color Management

-Customized gamma control on-screen

-Outstanding Gray-scale reproduction

-Dual 1080p Capable HDMI (ver. 1.3) Digital Inputs

-HD Component Video Input

-RS-232C

-S-Video Input

-Composite Video Input

-D-sub 15-pin PC Input

-Lamp 200W UHP

-480i/p,576i/p,720p 60/50,1080i 60/50,1080 24p/60p/50p

-AC 110 - 240V,50/60 Hz

-Power consumption 280W (Stand-by mode:1W)

-Dimensions (W x H x D) 14-3/8" x 6-1/2" x 18 7/8" (365 x 166 x 478mm)

-Weight 11.0kg , 24.3 lbs

See less See more
#27 ·
Lee, I'm not sure If I know how to measure Throw Ratio but I think your TR now is 1.48 going by your pj to screen measurement. If I'm figuring it correctly my TR is ~1.9 so I may have a chance with my old Panamorph.. Throw Ratio - Distance/screen width

You better get some help there so you don't drop the baby.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR /forum/post/15220436

Lee, I'm not sure If I know how to measure Throw Ratio but I think your TR now is 1.48 going by your pj to screen measurement. If I'm figuring it correctly my TR is ~1.9 so I may have a chance with my old Panamorph.. You better get some help there so you don't drop the baby.

The baby is crashed out..PHEW!!! (p.s.the 'baby' is now 1.5tr OOPS I mean 1.5yo
)

If I am not mistaken Throw Ratio is lens to screen/16:9 image width. So am 171/91=1.88TR

Annsi from prismasonic said it should be fine with 1.9tr or greater. I am on the cusp. I have a we bit of Vignetting. So I guess we can say the prismasonic 1500r will work @ 1.9 or above and the glass is 3"x2.75" (3.5"diag).

It seems longer TR is your friend with this projector.

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY /forum/post/15214535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/15217128

Look at that mac daddy packing job...who did that?

Jason, why no popcorn love for dat right side of the projector box?

#33 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/15222990

I didn't get into testing of anamorphics due to time, but though the Prismasonic CAN work at 1.85, with the recessed lens on the JVC it probably won't. The UH480 and ISCO III should no problem (UH380 not sure on).

Looks like my prismasonic will work >1.95

Downfall is I am at 1.88 now and dont want to move the PJ bacl a ft.

I will report on this later thie eve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb /forum/post/15221498

Lee,

What screen are you using in your setup and what size?

Thanks,

Scott

I am using a diy screen 1.3 gain and its 116x49

#35 ·
Jason, from your review,
Quote:
I was able to tame them down a decent amount with the basic color control (other chart). Unfortunately the RS10 does not have a full CMS, like its bigger brother the RS20. But, still, after basic adjustment that were very acceptable. (NOTE: There are some adverse affects to do this adjustment, but I found that the setting was a good compromise).

What kind of things did you do? I'm gonna help tweak one of these and it would be nice to have a guideline.

Thanks.

Scott

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/15222990

I didn't get into testing of anamorphics due to time, but though the Prismasonic CAN work at 1.85, with the recessed lens on the JVC it probably won't. The UH480 and ISCO III should no problem (UH380 not sure on).

Anssi at Prismasonic seemed quite convinced the the 5000R would work perfectly at 1.9 on the RS10/20. I don't know about the older Prsimasonic units with smaller input apertures.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym303 /forum/post/15226077

Anssi at Prismasonic seemed quite convinced the the 5000R would work perfectly at 1.9 on the RS10/20. I don't know about the older Prsimasonic units with smaller input apertures.

The earlier Prismasonic lenses are smaller. My 1500FE works perfectly with the JVC HD1. This PJ as we all know has the lens protruding slightly from the front of the PJ body. This is primarily to allow access to the manual zoom and focus controls.

The RS20 lens is recessed but (I am guessing here) it should be possible to move the 1500 prismasonic right up close to the front of the PJ and have the beam fit well.

My throw ratio is 2.3-2.4 approx.

I don't like to guess when deciding to buy -

any others with thoughts on this?

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigN /forum/post/15226553

The earlier Prismasonic lenses are smaller. My 1500FE works perfectly with the JVC HD1. This PJ as we all know has the lens protruding slightly from the front of the PJ body. This is primarily to allow access to the manual zoom and focus controls.

The RS20 lens is recessed but (I am guessing here) it should be possible to move the 1500 prismasonic right up close to the front of the PJ and have the beam fit well.

2.3 will be fine. I have the 1500r and it will work @2.0

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigN /forum/post/15226553

For that throw it will work. But you cannot back the lens up to the projector lens due to the recess.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/15228067

For that throw it will work. But you cannot back the lens up to the projector lens due to the recess.

Thanks Jason.

What I meant to say was to place the Prismasonic as close as possible to the front casing of the PJ so as to minimize the distance between the PJ lens and anamorphic lens.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3bbY /forum/post/15227610

2.3 will be fine. I have the 1500r and it will work @2.0

It is not so much that I am concerned about it working at that throw ratio, it already does that well for me with the HD1/RS1.

The issue here is that the lens of the RS20 is recessed compared to the HD1, therefore potentially increasing the distance between the PJ lens and prismasonic.

Jason's comments are reassuring though.

#43 ·
Hmmm. Received my RS10 today. Just got it unpacked and was going to test in on a table first. Outside of the case is beautiful! Plugged it in, and pressed the power button. Lens cover opened, excitement, then..... Nothing.... Warning light on top of unit is on with lamp light flashing 3 times. Quickly checked the instruction manual - that error code indicates lamp cover is open. Of course lamp cover is closed and screwed in tightly. Tried plugging it in again a few times, same result. Did not appear to be any damage to outer or inner shipping box. But this is not an auspicious start.

Off to remove the lamp cover and see what things look like.

UPDATE: Removed the lamp cover - all looked fine inside, so screwed it back on, plugged it in, and pressed power. Green power light on, lamp on, no warning lights. Problem - solved. Back to the projector - more later.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigN /forum/post/15228390

I

The issue here is that the lens of the RS20 is recessed compared to the HD1, therefore potentially increasing the distance between the PJ lens and prismasonic.

We all know it has a recessed lens, thats why we are talking about the posibility of some lenses not working with it. And I tested with that lens and was fine. at 1.95..but I told you that already

#47 ·
First Impressions:

The RS10 is my entrance into the projector world, replacing a very temporary Optoma HD65. First of all, I must say that little Optoma projector looked pretty good to my eyes. However, the RS10 is a noticeable improvement. The image is sharper, with considerably more contrast and depth. I am going to need others help to figure out the "proper" settings for the projector, but I initially set the RS10 on Normal Lamp Mode, Cinema 1, 6500K, Iris 3, gamma Normal. I may have to play with those settings a bit, as light areas on the screen were almost a bit too bright. My screen is a 120" 2.37 with a throw ratio of 1.6. All I can say is the image is incredibly good and engaging.

I mentioned my concern with the UH380 and the RS10 at my throw distance. I have never set up an anamorphic lens before, and as I will be ceiling mounting the RS10 once my Chief mount and new Panamorph plate arrives, I wasn't sure I would learn anything from trying it while the projector was table mounted. But I figured I would give it a try. I was about 6 inches in front of where the ceiling mount would have been, so I actually at a throw ratio of 1.55. I added the vertical stretch mode, and tried to hand hold the lens (that thing is heavy). I eventually think I got it in a pretty good position, as it seemed to fill the screen perfectly. I could not see any vignetting, and in fact the lens was not even right up against the projector. My only criticism with the lens, was that the picture didn't seem quite as sharp. It may be my imagination, or it could certainly be trying to hold the lens by hand. Does the focus need to be readjusted with the lens in front? Anyway, it seems like it works, even at a bare minimum throw ratio. I am way outside the "sweet" spot of the UH380, so that my also explain the slight decrease in sharpness, with a lens to screen distance of only less than 11 feet.

So, initial tests with Panamorph lens seem encouraging at short throw ratios. Projector looks good, looking forward to getting setting tips from those far more experienced than myself. So far, pleased with my purchase.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds1 /forum/post/15229526

My only criticism with the lens, was that the picture didn't seem quite as sharp. It may be my imagination, or it could certainly be trying to hold the lens by hand. Does the focus need to be readjusted with the lens in front?

Try to re-focus. That works with my prismasonic lens.

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/15217591

Good news. After more playing, with the iris engaged I got over 33000:1 contrast! Granted the light output dropped to just shy of 400 lumens, but still....quite impressive!

That is indeed impressive performance. Was that at max throw?

For those with screen sizes of 110" diag and below, 400 lumens is plenty IMO, especially if you have some gain such as 1.2 or 1.3.

I plan to run the RS20 at about 300 lumens on my 106" diag Firehawk, producing about 12fL, in order to eek out as much CR as possible, without trading too much brightness (though I may decide to go even lower like 200 lumens if it means 50,000+:1 CR...).

Years ago I would have instead chosen to max out brightness more - aiming for more like 20-25fL. But I've come to learn that is not necessary at all to enjoy my pj and I'd rather have the inky blacks.

For instance I am running at about 8.5fL (about 200 lumens) on my RS1 with aged bulb (about 1000 hours) and it still looks PLENTY bright. In fact the other night I was watching Sin City on Blu-ray and I thought to myself that portions of the movie looked too bright!

Bottom line is that I encourage people to aim for 12fL or perhaps lower, even if you can get a lot more out of it, and enjoy the best blacks possible. Then again I do my viewing is a pitch dark room so if you are watching with some ambient light then that's another story - but that's what the adjustable iris is for!