AVS Forum banner

"Once upon a dream . . . . " Sleeping Beauty comparison *PIX*

47K views 174 replies 75 participants last post by  zzap64 
#1 ·
#153 ·
Xylon: Apologies. I'm a very bad writer.

The picture I showed you earlier was an example of the filter they used to erase the grain going too far and destroying the cels. It looks like a 256 color GIF.

As for the other 2D animation. I went back and looked at it again. Beauty and the Beast, and 101 Dalmatians clearly has the same filter process applied when they restored those films. Some of the others like Rescuers Down Under and Fox and the Hound have grain, and the transfers are poor and full screen. I guess they haven't gotten to restoring those yet.

The grainy 40s cartoons I was mentioned are not in the Pixar Story, but under one of the Behind the Scenes segments. I need to go back and look at them again to know where. But I do clearly remember a scene with Donald Duck and it was gloriously grainy.

#155 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBN /forum/post/15372867

Xylon: Apologies. I'm a very bad writer.

The picture I showed you earlier was an example of the filter they used to erase the grain going too far and destroying the cels. It looks like a 256 color GIF.

As for the other 2D animation. I went back and looked at it again. Beauty and the Beast, and 101 Dalmatians clearly has the same filter process applied when they restored those films. Some of the others like Rescuers Down Under and Fox and the Hound have grain, and the transfers are poor and full screen. I guess they haven't gotten to restoring those yet.

The grainy 40s cartoons I was mentioned are not in the Pixar Story, but under one of the Behind the Scenes segments. I need to go back and look at them again to know where. But I do clearly remember a scene with Donald Duck and it was gloriously grainy.

Beauty and the Beast HD scene can also be found on the Enchanted BD. I even posted the pix at the comparison thread.

#158 ·
The film's original aspect ratio is 2.55:1. After its original theatrical release that standard became a relic, and they cropped the image to standard 2.35:1 for showing the film in theaters when it was re-released. The new DVD and Blu-ray are the first time seeing the OAR in nearly 50 years.

It kind of says that all over the disc and box art.

#161 ·
SB is the first Disney film I can remember...so it holds a special place in my heart. I was three years old in 1959 but remember the film, its colors and graphic art form for its day. I am watching Pinocchio tonight and I am impressed with the attention to detail Disney is giving to these classics.

#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet /forum/post/16023327

SB is the first Disney film I can remember...so it holds a special place in my heart. I was three years old in 1959 but remember the film, its colors and graphic art form for its day. I am watching Pinocchio tonight and I am impressed with the attention to detail Disney is giving to these classics.

Don't jinx it now

#165 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locastor /forum/post/16023406

Just had my 5020 and Sleeping Beauty delivered today (my birthday, btw). Just finished watching it and I thank this thread for showing me the truth. Simply too damn good.

If its deserving AVS rabble rousers will praise it unconditionally.

No more, no less

#166 ·
I just wanted to confirm, this Blu-ray is supposed to have a cardboard sleeve over the plastic case, right? I just received this (and Pinocchio) from Amazon, and there was no sleeve (there was one with Piocchio, BTW). Thanks.

#169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV /forum/post/16228697

I just wanted to confirm, this Blu-ray is supposed to have a cardboard sleeve over the plastic case, right? I just received this (and Pinocchio) from Amazon, and there was no sleeve (there was one with Piocchio, BTW). Thanks.

Like the other posters said only the first batch gets it.

#170 ·
I had never seen Sleeping Beauty, and honestly didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. It's truly art in motion.

#172 ·
caps-a-holic have posted a comparison between the 2008 Blu-ray and 2003 DVD edition of Sleeping Beauty. Sadly what was thought to be perfect in 2008 has in hindsight shown to be deficient. Disney has been very heavy handed with their digital 'restoration'. Scrubbing all grain and redrawing the ink outlines of all the characters introducing aliasing. Here are some of the worst examples:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?art=part&x=327&y=298&action=1&image=1&hd_multiID=1379&cap1=30403&cap2=30387&disc1=3305&disc2=3304&lossless=#vergleich

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?art=magnify&x=745&y=329&action=1&image=6&hd_multiID=1379&cap1=30408&cap2=30392&disc1=3305&disc2=3304&lossless=#vergleich

What is going on with the different colors for the prince's hands on Blu-ray. In motion both his hands continually change color throught the scene.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?art=magnify&x=573&y=353&action=1&image=5&hd_multiID=1379&cap1=30407&cap2=30391&disc1=3305&disc2=3304&lossless=#vergleich

I hope Disney does a much better and more faithful effort for the 2014 Diamond Edition release.

#173 ·
The lines aren't redrawn. What it looks like is an area getting "filled" with a tolerance level. Anyone who uses photoshop will know what I'm talking about.

But yeah, it makes the lines enclosing the fill area look unnaturally harsh because it eats into the color transition between the area color and line color. So you get a perfectly solid area without "noise", but now your lines look crappy.

#175 ·
It's a shame Disney does not take the same approach as Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli for their Japanese Blu-ray releases as Miyazaki insisted on the preservation of film grain. The studio also maxed out the bitrate with minimal to no digital processing, perfectly preserving the look of the 35mm film. The outlines of the characters are soft and retains the original look artists work perfectly. Some slight DNR is evident on the US Studio Ghibli Blu-rays and complete DNR on the UK Ghibli Blu-rays. Disney sadly has a one size fits all approach and wants all their films to look like it completed yesterday using a completely digital workflow aka The Lion King. Sadly as I have shown with Sleeping Beauty this has created terrible aliasing and an overly sharp and digital look. Disney appears not to have improved this technique as evident in Cinderella and the less said about The Sword in the Stone and Mickey's Christmas Carol the better. Disney like to include extra discs with their Diamond releases. It would be great if Disney included an extra copy of Sleeping Beauty taken from the original 4k scan without the digital 'enhancement' for their 2014 Diamond release.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.