AVS Forum banner

Infocus IN72 Specific Thread

247K views 2K replies 289 participants last post by  kneedrag32 
#1 ·
Hey All,

With the IN7X series being out for a while, I feel it's time to diversify and specify! To get things going, I'm running an IN72, casting an 84" image (no screen, white wall) with an OPPO 971 and Comcast HD (see below for settings). Seating distance is at about 11'. This set-up has been up and running for about 2 weeks and has not disappointed, although tweaking is still in progress! Screen door is noticeable with light backgrounds and credits. Just wondering what set-up others are running? For questions, I've noticed that the "Natural Wide" does not stretch a 4:3 image to the 16:9 aspect ratio, is this correct? Are people using different projector settings (i.e., RGB gains) for DVI/HDMI settings versus component input?

Oppo settings:

DVI-MA1

Brightness: +5

Contrast: 0

Saturation: +1

Comcast HD: Component connection

Happy viewing,

bmrr

See less See more
#2,202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 /forum/post/15079696

I don't know for sure, but it sounds like the lamp is no longer firing properly. I have an IN72 with 5300 hours on the original lamp. I run it exclusively in low power mode. However, the problem could be the ballast that fires the lamp which Infocus could fix but it would cost you around $400 plus shipping. Your lamp is near it's expected life end at 2100 hours for high mode, so it could just be the lamp. I will be putting my IN72 up for sale soon for $500 which includes a brand new lamp. My unit also has the fuse upgrade and the issue you are having is not related to that. The fuse problem causes it to go dead. If you need a lamp only and don't want to pay full price, I would sell mine for $325 shipped. If I can be of any assistance, let me know.

Ben,

I always run the IN72 in low power mode, only since this issue have I run it in high power. I have a Mack warranty still effect on the lamp, but I have to purchase the lamp first, then get reimbursed for the lamp. And the lamp has to be bad (blown) to qualify for replacement. Since it is still operating somewhat, I'm afraid they would not honor the warranty. It is going on 9 1/2 hours that the projector has been on in high power mode today. Still getting the flicker, although not as severe or as often. Maybe I will try to put it in low lamp mode before we shut it down for the night.

#2,203 ·
From what I looked up, it is quit possible that the unit has a bad ballast or power supply capacitor. I will see what else I can find out for you about it. I'm getting ready to make the jump to 1080p myself, but for my first venture into front projection, the IN72 has been phenomenal.

#2,204 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipse /forum/post/13840692

Anyone got some screenshots of there in72 they can show me I would love to compare...

You can check out my setup with screenshots at the link in my sig.

#2,205 ·
While watching the NFL ST today, no flickering while on high power mode. After watching college football all day yesterday I tried turning it to low power mode. As soon as the fan speed went lower, the picture started to flicker to dim, then off completely.........followed by series of 3 blinking red lights.

Any thoughts?

#2,206 ·
No one with any comments??? Guess I will watch in high power until she blows !...................LOL

#2,208 ·
Anyone interested in a well cared for IN72? I just upgraded to 1080p and will be putting it up via eBay soon. Excellent condition plus Im including a brand new in box spare lamp for $500. I have all the original packing and parts. I also have a Bravo D1 for $50 (with DVI to HDMI cable and adapter) that is custom set up for it if interested PM me. Otherwise, next stop is auction.

#2,209 ·
So far still running on high power. Still get occasional flicker , so have not yet tried going back to low power. Hope it will last until I can get enough saved to go 1080P !

#2,210 ·
Hello, I posted this in another infocus thread but got no replies. I'm hoping someone here can help.

So I've been enjoying my new (yes new) IN72 for a few months now and lately I've noticed the picture dropping out after watching it for an hour or so. (I don't have the projector hooked up all the time now, I just bring it out and set it up on weekend evenings for movie night).

With some troubleshooting I've found that the HDMI port is losing the signal. When I wiggle the connector the picture comes back on - it feels like the port is a little loose inside. If I place something under the hdmi cable to support it then the picture stays on - but if there is any downward pressure on the cable it drops out. Am I looking at a bad port here? Has anyone seen this before?

I've only had the projector for a few months so it's still under warranty. Since I only run one hdmi cable to the projector is it worth sending it back or should I just run the hdmi cable to the m1/dvi port? Not sure what to expect with customer service/shipping/turn around etc. I appreciate everyone's advice and assistance. I will say that this is my first projector and I'm amazed how nice of a picture it provides. Thanks.

Tiga

#2,211 ·
First, if you haven't yet, try a different HDMI cable. Sometimes it might have shoddy ends and just not fit tight. This was reported by other owners before. If it's not that then you could have some bad connections with the plug itself.

The IN72 is an outstanding projector! I just took mine out of service after two+ years because I upgraded to BluRay with a 1080p projector. The IN72 was my first crack at front projection and now I'm hooked.

#2,213 ·
Thank you and BenJF3 for your responses. I will try both of your suggestions. The cable I'm using now (monoprice) does put some weight onto the port as it drops from the projector to the floor.

I have to say I can't wait to get this projector permanetly mounted in my basement (work in progress). The picture on this thing is just leaves me stunned sometimes and I'm only using a wall mounted white sheet. Can't wait for a real screen. I think the most amazing thing about it everything you feed it looks good - which is not true of my phillips plasma as SD on it looks horrid.

This thing helps make the case to continue purchasing cheap SD-DVD's (which I think are made better than ever) until blu-ray prices drop a little more. I recently purchased Underworld in SD for a whopping 4.99 and it was stunning. I did notice that SD-DVD's that are 'mastered in high definition' (Underworld, Spider-man3, etc) all look superb.

Tiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgl /forum/post/15361290

I think I saw a short cable that was very flexible, that was sold as a strain relief. A cheaper flimsy cable might work better than a stiff one.

#2,217 ·
What's interesting I was in a CC right before x-mas and they now have a projector room. They were playing Night at the Museum through a upconverting dvd player to an optoma hd65. Although the picture looked good - it in no way looked as good as the in72. I'm sure there are a lot of factors to consider regarding setup etc., but either way I wasn't that impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbgl /forum/post/15375104

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was my LG3510a. It could have been my dvd recorder. SD-DVD either way.

#2,218 ·
Talk about a newbie numbskull mistake! Trying to set up my first HT on a very tight budget, I bought a non-working Infocus 72 on Craigslist. Seller said it was 'good to go' after a lamp replacement.

Well, and I wish I could have seen this coming as soon as you doubtlessly are, after I shelled out more than $300 for a new lamp, the unit turns out to be 'good to go' ... to the county dump! I turned the projector on, and instead of lamp coming on, I smell a burning odor within a few seconds, and in a few more moments, smoke is billowing out of the box.

I write back to the guy, and he dismisses me with a curt, "It was my understanding that the lamp was burned out. All sales are final."

So do I just chalk this up to an object lesson in consumer awareness (and hope the vendor will take back the lamp), or is there some possibility this projector can be repaired?

I know smoke doesn't sound promising, but maybe some of you engineers out there might have an inkling as to possible diagnosis and prognosis. I can't afford to sink several hundred dollars into a repair, so unless it's something that might be easily fixed (even by a knowledgeable amateur, whom perhaps I can find locally), I guess this one is out in Thursday's trash pickup ...

Chris

#2,219 ·
Sorry to hear that as I have a perfectly good working IN72 with a spare lamp and ceiling mount that I am about to sell on eBay. I was asking $500, but am willing to go with a best offer.

Here's the thing, the original lamp in it has over 5000 hours on it, so it's limited. If you were interested seeing as how you have another lamp you could buy it and have two brand new lamps that would last years. The big thing was how much did you pay for it in the non-working state? It is probably not worth repairing if you have to send it to Infocus. The repair might be more than what the unit is worth. I upgraded to 1080p, so I have no need for my trusty old IN72 any longer. I even have a screen I'd throw in for free (you just pay whatever shipping is). Let me know and maybe we can salvage your situation with a working model.

#2,222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJF3 /forum/post/15531009

Sorry to hear that as I have a perfectly good working IN72 with a spare lamp and ceiling mount that I am about to sell on eBay. I was asking $500, but am willing to go with a best offer.

Here's the thing, the original lamp in it has over 5000 hours on it, so it's limited. If you were interested seeing as how you have another lamp you could buy it and have two brand new lamps that would last years. The big thing was how much did you pay for it in the non-working state? It is probably not worth repairing if you have to send it to Infocus. The repair might be more than what the unit is worth. I upgraded to 1080p, so I have no need for my trusty old IN72 any longer. I even have a screen I'd throw in for free (you just pay whatever shipping is). Let me know and maybe we can salvage your situation with a working model.

BenJF3, thanks for the offer. I'll have to check on whether I can return the new lamp to fully assess my options, but off-hand, my guess is that you could do better than me on ebay. Basically, I'm strictly limited by WAF to less than $1000 total investment on this system (and yes, I'm planning to get as close to $999.99 as I can). With the $100 minimum loss (price of acquiring the broken unit) and the price of the other components either bought or specked, I'm down to about $150 left to spend. I'm going pretty cheap on the speakers I haven't yet purchased, so I don't see any significant off-sets to improve that number.

I'm inclined to try the $9 fix proposed by a couple subsequent posts and hope for the best. But if you're feeling especially charitable, let me know, and I may quickly abandon what might be a quixotic quest for the easy fix ...

Chris

#2,223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 /forum/post/15534089

Agreed. Better to spend a measly $9 on a possible fix than give up on a $300 investment!

Another link to the fix: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=14285313

After looking at these links and talking to my electrical engineer brother, I've decided to try fixing the torched IN72. But I'm stymied right at the starting gate because I can't figure out how to get at the circuit board.

I removed the screws that appeared to be holding the case together, but the sides of the unit, the removal of which seems to be required to get at the guts of the appliance, won't pop off. I've tried prying them lose, applying force with a screwdriver to the point where I thought the plastic shell would crack, but they wouldn't be dislodged.

The only manuals that came with the used projector contained no instructions or diagrams that would yield clues to dissassembling it.

Would any of the guys who succeedded in getting into the motherboard be so kind as to provide a how-to on opening the unit?

Thanks --

Chris

#2,225 ·
Thanks to the helpful suggestion found on this forum, I was able to open up my IN72 case, find the burned-out capacitor, and replace it with another of the same rating. However, it still doesn't light up. It turns on, goes through its warm-up routine as it did before, but also as before, it just shuts itself off after about 30 seconds.

The fuses look okay (without having removed them to examine more carefully), and I doubt it's a blown fuse because the projector obviously has power.

Any other trouble spots to look for, before I set this out in the trash??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.