AVS Forum banner

Official epson 6500ub owners thread

570K views 4K replies 510 participants last post by  JMelhado 
#1 ·
This thread is only for owners or members interested in the Epson 6500ub.

The original thread was probably removed because of a rule violation. Please read the post rules at the top.

1. No talk of price under any circumstances.

2. Do not discuss where to buy projector.

3. Do not put down a persons choice or purchase.

You may discuss the merits of this unit and post your experiences and ask

questions, post screenshots, suggest tweaks & settings.

#180 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachusTheOld /forum/post/15403178

I was left very disapointed that it can't even do 24fps 4:4 right Creative Interpolaion aside. Hopefully operas are shot direct to digital. I need to decide this morning on either the 6500UB or the AE3000. I'm still planning to go with the 6500--but I'm wavering--this is very tough.

After reading Art's new review, I am still trying to figure out the difference from 24fps with 4:4 off and 24fps with 4:4 on but Creative Interpolation off.

One would think it would be one of these two options: Does the 6500UB really only display "raw 24 fps" at 24hz with 4:4 off, or is it displaying at a more traditional 2:2 (i.e. frame doubling to 48Hz), and the 4:4 mode is doubling that again to 96Hz?

But reading the owner's manual online made me think that when 4:4 is off, the projector takes a 24fps source and displays it at 60hz using 2:3 pulldown. With 4:4 on, it displays 24fps at 96hz using frame copies. Which seems weird - why would I ever want to display 24fps at 60Hz?

Any thoughts? This issue concerns me enough to worry that if the 6500UB can't display 24fps at some fixed 2:2 or 4:4 frame doubling manner without significant artifacts, I will wait until it gets fixed or look elsewhere.

IMHO, AFAIK,

shinksma

#181 ·
I got mine ordered. Due to arrive later this week. Although the FI, 4:4 pulldown is not a big factor for me, (yet) im still excited about this projector and the reviews it's been recieving. This is my first projector. I have my Threatre Room ready with a 110" Carada Bril White screen mounted and ready to go.

Hopefully Epson comes out with some firmware soon to fix the FI problem.

Thanks

#182 ·
How did the 1080UB handle a 1080p/24fps signal from a BD player? I ask because I thought that at this point in time it was no big deal for a projector to properly convert from 24 fps to 96fps(4:4).
I am not surprised about FI, but I am surprised with some of Arts observations with 4:4 enabled with a 24fps BD source. Hopefully Art had a little to much eggnog and davedelite observations are the norm for this projector.

#183 ·
Unfortunately 4:4 pull-down seems not to be as straight forward for the Epson as one could hope for. I've got a 7500UB here and its 4:4 mode displays odd stuttering and 'skipping' when fed 24p from a Blu-ray Disc. I hope this -- and similar glitches in FI mode -- can be fixed with a simple firmware update.

#184 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen /forum/post/15403856

Unfortunately 4:4 pull-down seems not to be as straight forward for the Epson as one could hope for. I've got a 7500UB here and its 4:4 mode displays odd stuttering and 'skipping' when fed 24p from a Blu-ray Disc. I hope this -- and similar glitches in FI mode -- can be fixed with a simple firmware update.

Out of curiosity, which player and which BD disks did you view?

shinksma

#185 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma /forum/post/15403884

Out of curiosity, which player and which BD disks did you view?

I use Sahara's credit sequence to check smoothness; the long and lovely camera movement is perfect for the job. I used a PS3, a Sony 550 and a Panasonic BD55.

#186 ·
In Art's review he compares the sharpness of the epson vs the panny and the jvc.... when I look at the pause sign in the bottom left hand corner, it looks much blurrier on the epson than the others, anyone else notice this?

#187 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser /forum/post/15404068

In Art's review he compares the sharpness of the epson vs the panny and the jvc.... when I look at the pause sign in the bottom left hand corner, it looks much blurrier on the epson than the others, anyone else notice this?

That might have more to do with the exposure settings than anything else. The photos Art posted are rather pointless for sharpness comparisons, IMHO, because they are relatively low res (500x267 per projector image).

shinksma

#189 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADOBHuK /forum/post/15402603

Holy crap,

The review at pjreviews is up.

I can't seem to find it. Could someone post a link?

#192 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu /forum/post/15404320

From Art's pictures comparing sharpness I thought the Mits 7000 was significantly sharper. I just don't see the Epson as being all that sharp, at least going by his pictures.

as stated before... i take his words at higher value than his pictures. some of the pictures from the AE3000 review were very blurry (and he state as much) so i think they are just to give you an idea. If says it is sharper... i am going to assume it is.

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen /forum/post/15404231

The photos Art posted are rather pointless, period.

One can never know what significance to attribute to such photos, period. But they are fun
I pulled the trigger on the 6500 and will just be relieved if it doesn't have problems with convergence and dead pixels. But I'm upgrading from a 10 year old 50" SD set which died in September.

I dont' think a firmware upgrade via the RS232 port is very likely as in this very competitive environment if it had that capability Epson would almost certainly have mentioned it in their adds if not the user manual. Then I'm not one for optimism

#195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 /forum/post/15402414

I notice the great majority of you 6500ub owners are talking about the issues with frame interpolation. Does that mean that you are not that impressed with the picture this thing is putting out? It seems like the problems with this pj are overshadowing the picture quality.

Can't agree with you more. Why is a new to the world feature, one that is by any reasonable measure a "bonus" feature or a toy, suddenly an all-consuming obsession? Even a professional reviewer like Art falls into this trap - he keeps saying it is a minor issue for most people then spends an inordinate amont of time ranting about it - what gives? Whatever the disclaimers about its insignificance, no one is actually comparing or talking about PQ - its all about the frame interpolation glitch! Are most people buying projectors this year just for frame interpolation? Maybe I am in the minority then. Or maybe people in this forum, and enthusiasts in general, love to obsess over minutia and crave for something to obsess about.

#196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachusTheOld /forum/post/15405080

One can never know what significance to attribute to such photos, period. But they are fun

They sure are -- which is why I've been flooding AVS with photos the last couple of days
One should however always take into account that not every monitor is calibrated, and the uncalibrated ones can be (and usually are) wildly inaccurate. And when you factor in issues with lenses, cameras, dSLR sensor dynamics, noise, exposures, white balances etc., it becomes pretty obvious photos are a pretty unreliable method to illustrate a projector review with.

#197 ·
Hopefully Jason at AVS will post his thoughts on the 6500, including the confusing 4:4 issue soon. I know AVS will be shipping starting today, but I doubt they'll start shipping the ones that Jason calibrated until next week, or maybe late this week. Jason should have some good thoughts once he starts calibrating some units. So far it doesn't look like he received an early unit for review.

#199 ·
I expect we will need a few more generations regarding 120hz trick to eliminate judder without introducing artifacts.

This is still very new with Sony being the first which has its issues. None are perfect. I consider it a gimmick for the time being until they work the bugs out. Some say 120hz is not enough, we need something much higher. It will be interesting to look back in another 3 years.

#200 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen /forum/post/15405302

And when you factor in issues with lenses, cameras, dSLR sensor dynamics, noise, exposures, white balances etc., it becomes pretty obvious photos are a pretty unreliable method to illustrate a projector review with.

Amen. I look at those photos with a very big grain of salt. The dynamic range of even the best d-SLR sensor falls way short of the human eye, not to mention problems with white balance when you're doing low light or long exposures.

#201 ·
In the past I have used CRT projectors that had a fixed focal length and that determined throw distance based on my image goals. Then I used a D-ILA with 1500 lumens. I moved the projector to the back of the room. Zoom, home free.

Not really. I am in a different state and setting up for a 6500. I could, for convenience, locate the 6500 at say 24 feet and the zoom would allow a suitable image size. I could locate the projector overhead at say 15 feet off the screen. Same image size. Significantly more lumens striking the screen based upon online calculators. Is this an attenuation based on the intervening air? Or is it because the lens is focused differently and the real or effective aperture of the lens has changed. I suspect the latter. Heretofore, I had ignored this and it can affect brightness by 15-20 percent. Most of us avoid 'wasting' brightness and frankly after ten years of projector usage, it never dawned on me. I may want to rethink my layout.

Thanks for any thoughts.

#202 ·
I just picked mine up!!!! I cannot wait for work to be over so i can go home a test it out. I must say, and in know this has already been talked about a bit in this thread, i was a little surprised by the lack of protection for the projector in the box. Mine came in the Epson packaging but it was only a few cardboard supports and there was a lot of play around the projector. I would think that they would want to protect it better. It is obviously still under warranty so i dont really care, but it was surprising.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.