151FD Product Brochure

The Official Pioneer 9G Kuro Settings/Issues Thread

The Official 9G Pioneer General Discussion Thread

9G Elite Reviews

D-Nice's Review of the Pro-111FD

Sound and Vision's Review of the Pro-111FD

Ultimate AV's review of the Pro-111FD

CNet's review of the Pro-111FD

It seems I'm the first to get the PRO-151FD in this forum so I figured I'd start the Thread.

First impressions:

Can notice blacker blacks over 5010. It's hard to tell were the bezel ends with the black bars.

Initial start up is set to performance mode.

While in the menu. Very slight buzz when you put your head behind the set. Can't hear it in front at all. Haven't try TV or video yet but I will before I start break-in.

Update regarding buzz:

While running the break-in disc, I do hear a buzz which does change pitch from dark to light screens, light screens higher pitch, but I have to be 2 to 3 feet from the front to hear it and it's the same as my 5010. My DVR box is louder then the buzz.

Not the brightest backlite remote I've seen. It's a little hard to see if the room is very dark.

I like the menus better then the 5010. I didn't care for the windows xp-ish menus in the 5010.

It has a great tool menu that comes up from the bottom during viewing which you can change settings like picture mode and screen size. Here's the post of the picture. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=10

PRO-111FD/151FD Specs:

- High-Definition 1080p Resolution (1920 x 1080p)

- 50”/60" Diagonal Class / 16:9 Wide-Screen Aspect Ratio

- 1080 Progressive Image Reproduction with ability to accept 480i / 480p / 720p / 1080i / and TRUE 1080p 24fps signals

- New Deeper, Intense Blacks for Unmatched Contrast (5x Previous Generation)

- New Thinner Cosmetic Design with ››Elegant Acrylic Bezel

- New, Improved Optimum Mode. Automatically analyses and adjusts audio and video settings according to specific room light conditions and type of light and color. Program content is also monitored and finely adjusted so movies, sports and news are all faithfully reproduced. Includes OSD with status.

- New External Color Sensor

- Room Light Sensor for automatic picture adjustment adjustment

- PureCinema Smooth Film Motion mode to eliminate motion jutter in 3:2 Pulldown (60Hz) providing natural even playback of content created on film

- 4 Independent HDMI 1.3 inputs with HDMI-CEC control and the ability ››to accept 1080p 24/60Hz signal

- Standard 3:2 (60Hz) and Advanced PureCinema with 3:3 Pulldown (72Hz) for accurate playback of film content

- Fully integrated ATSC and NTSC Tuner with Clear QAM

- Home Media Gallery – offering a multimedia experience to enjoy movies, music and photos through an existing home network or USB memory device

- ISFccc Calibration Ready for professional customization of plasma picture according to personal preferences for contrast, tint, color as well as room conditions for both day and nighttime viewing. Includes:

- Independent Gamma Control (R / G / B) for heightened color ––calibration

- V-Chip Parental Control

- Remote Control – Illuminated / Preset Mode / Learning Mode

- New Advanced Redesigned GUI

- A/V Selection Memory – 10 options for viewing preferences: Optimum / Performance / Sports / Movie / PURE / Game / Standard*/ ISF-Day / ISF-Night / ISF-Auto (PC input: only Standard)

- Aspect Ratio Control – 9 positions: Auto* / Full / “Dot by Dot” / Zoom* / Cinema* / 4:3 / Wide* (only for SD) / Wide1* (only for HD) / Wide2* (only for HD) *Except PC signal

- Advanced Picture-in-Picture (4 positions), Picture-side-Picture for use with Home Media Gallery & Broadcast and Still Picture capability

- After-Image Reduction Function

- Orbiter (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Auto Size (Off/ Natural / Wide-Zoom)

- Side Mask Detection (Mode 1 – for black side masks / Mode 2 – for black & illustrated side masks)

- Side Mask Brightness Sync (Fixed / Auto)

- Video Pattern (White Bar)

- Game Control Preference (AV Selection: only Game) (Off / On)

- Fine Tune Setting for ultimate picture control of color temperature, noise reduction and color management

- Intelligent Mode (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

- Room Light Sensor & New External Color Sensor (Off / Mode 1 / Mode 2)

See less See more
#11,041 ·
More on David Evans , (copied from a post of his in another thread.)

Quote:
21st Century Calibrations Inc.

David Evans

971-404-4372
www.21stcc-isf.com
david@21stcc-isf.com

Coverage Area:

Oregon, Washington and Boise, Idaho area.

Services:

Home Theater Consulting. ISF Calibrations for all type of displays. Audio Calibrations. Acoustical Design Reviews (ADR) and Acoustical Calibration Reviews (ACR).

Training:

I am ISF Certified / THX Home Theater Tech Level II Certified / HAA Level I Certified / Sencore Academy Graduate. I will also be attending the very first THX Level IV Video Training and Certification training January of 2008 at Stewart Filmscreens.

Experience:

I'm a full time independent calibrator, working with 12 dealers and custom installers throughout my coverage area. I am a beta tester for Sencore's new OTC-1000 (Optical Tri-stimulus Color Meter) and assist with instruction of the ISF training classes in Seattle, Washington. I have calibrated over 250 display devices to date. I have all the essential test and calibration equipment to be able to accurately calibrate any type of display. References are available upon request.

Equipment:

Sencore - OTC 1000 (Optical Tri-stimulus Color Meter)

Sencore - CP5000 (ColorPro Color Analyzer)

Sencore - ACP6500 (Auto Calibration Pro)

Sencore - VP403CSH (VideoPro Multimedia Video Generator)

Sencore - accuGray DC14

Sencore - SP295C (SoundPro Audio Analyzer)

Sencore - DAG5161 (Digital Audio Generator)

Sencore - MX299 (Microphone Multiplexer)

Sencore - RS295 (Acoustical Calibration Report Software)

HAA - AVPro Report Software (Acoustical Design Review / Acoustical Calibration Review)

DataColor - ISF C3 interface for Pioneer Elite

Sony - PVM96 ( D65 Reference Video Monitor)

Quest Acoustical - (Base Mode Analyzer Software)

THX - (Room Mode Calculator ver 1.2 Software)

Numerous test and reference DVDs

Coming Soon

AccuPel HDG-4000

HD-SD Calibration Generator

Profile:

As an avid Home Theater enthusiast, I decided to make a career out of my passion. I have spent the past 10 years doing everything from planning to installation of Home Theaters. I attended the ISF and HAA Classes in October of 2005. I received my ISF Certification that same month and my HAA Certification in May, 2006. In Feb, 2007 I received my THX Level II Certification. I'm dedicated to delivering the highest level of professionalism, second to none.

My pledge:

I will calibrate your Home Theater, so that you will see and hear what the director wanted you to experience, NOT the out-of-the-box showroom settings.

#11,044 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy /forum/post/15647556

For what they cost, you deserve to be treated like that.

Good point, but then consider that a lot of stuff costs that much and *isn't* supported. I mean, you have to get an extended warranty with a lot of multi-thousand-dollar displays. Why is that? Why aren't they simply backed by the manufacturer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy /forum/post/15647556

I like Bryston amps with their 20-year warranty.

Agreed.

And McIntosh equipment has an infinite warranty by being built so well it never needs service!

#11,045 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by progprog /forum/post/15645033

Look closer...it says "for a fee."
There's your catch! Nothing's free.... Any ISF calibrator can do this for you...for a fee.

It has been discussed many times here. Keep in mind that if you bought with a credit card, you probably got another year of coverage. So you'd already have three years.....that's good enough for me.
In my experience, most things that go wrong with electronics do so fairly early on.

Thanks .... dang I misread that LOL next time I wont drink and read. I swear I thought that said free not fee HAHA.

#11,046 ·

Quote:
LOL, James, any chance you can adopt a few of us??

Quote:
wow..I'm moving in with you

right now the 5010 is perfect for my apt..so the 111 fd will just as good.. a much better tv of course..but if you have that much room..well then God bless you buddy

LOL guys, I aint rich. I was and still am just so impressed with my Kuro that I almost feel like I stole it.

If it was $9000 I could not have afforded it however I have seen ALOT of HDTVs in action and the Kuro absolutely blows away any HDTV that I have ever seen. All I am saying is I could see a $9000 price tag on it and all id be able to do is wish I could afford such a performer...but no , the 151 can be had for much less. The odds are is that it is gonna be used until I die or it dies.

#11,047 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boden /forum/post/15647875

Interesting. This caught my attention: DataColor - ISF C3 interface for Pioneer Elite.

I wonder if this is a competitor for ControlCAL or if it's ControlCAL under another name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/15647987

Jim, ive emailed David and asked him if he could look at this thread and perhaps answer your question.

They have no support for the 9G's and their application had been discontinued some time ago. In fact, their 'Main' Calibration application has as well to my understanding...

#11,049 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/15647673

More on David Evans , (copied from a post of his in another thread.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/15647534

He is in Oregon but covers WA, he waits until he can get several to do up here then he comes up for a few days and stays at motels.

He has done a good number of Kuros , he is ISF certified and more, he is basically the only one of his caliber in the northwest.

Up to 5 hours!! That is some hardcore tweaking!

David has a lot of experience and was one of the early Professionals to get ControlCAL and uses it for all 8G and 9G Models... See this LIST

He does cover Washington State and does so several times a year.....

I just spoke to him, he's been very busy (he does the calibrations for many Dealers as well) so he doesn't get time to Post on Forums....

#11,050 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/15646419

That is true, that is why I believe the generous 2 year warranty Pioneer includes is more than enough.

Though, out of curiosity id like to know if anyone has had success with Pioneer over stuck/dead pixels ?
(no question this has been discussed in this thread, ive had plans to read this entire thread someday but I have not gotten around to it just yet.)

I have been wondering about something similar. I presume that the number of people who truly "cash in" on extended warranties after the 2 years is limited. However, I presume that the scope of the extended warranties is greater. That was always my experience on the few occasions that I bought warranties from consumer electronics chains. Heck, at Best Buy, my experience has been that they will allow a return no questions asked on many products, and refund an amount equivalent to the balance of your warranty.

So, my question is what sort of things have people had covered by extended warranties like Mack, etc. that might have been within the 2 years even. I am worried about things like my daughter damaging the screen by throwing something at it, drawing on it, etc.

I know this is a tad off-topic, but since people are discussing it, I just wanted to ask.

#11,055 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/15648258

David has a lot of experience and was one of the early Professionals to get ControlCAL and uses it for all 8G and 9G Models... See this LIST

He does cover Washington State and does so several times a year.....

I just spoke to him, he's been very busy (he does the calibrations for many Dealers as well) so he doesn't get time to Post on Forums....

That information posted is outdated.. he has a Minolta CS200 (high end meter).

He will be touring Washington the last week in February and his slots are filling up.. Call him if you want an appointment during his next Washington Tour.

#11,056 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by apark5 /forum/post/15646746

ddgtr: I agree with you. WHY SHOULD I SETTLE WITH A STUCK OR DEAD PIXEL WHEN I PAID PREMIUM FOR ELITE? If I really want to settle with or looking for something WITHIN TOLERANCE LEVEL then I should have bought Vizio. I tried to explain that to my dealer Robert @ Value Electronics, no avail until Pioneer actually does something. Still disappointed with a purchase of 151 with stuck pixel, its keeping me away from enjoying my Elite KURO.

Maybe there is some kind of failure to disclose technicality you can pursue. In the manual, it states that several or so dead pixel is within tolerance. However, no consumer would know this unless they purchased it first and then opened the manual. Consumers buy on the belief that a "warranty" should meet their satisfaction and should cover this defect. Therefore, I don't believe Pioneer properly disclosed their dead pixel tolerance policy prior to the point of sale. Try going through the Pioneer mediation process. Not to harp on Pioneer since they have been fair to resolve several of my issues, but I think they should be better at disclosing this type of defect, especially for the "premium" we pay for their products.

Although I do not intend to spot for a dead pixel, each has their own tolerance level. If I noticed it somehow, it would bother me also.

#11,058 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnydigs /forum/post/15648526

I wonder if it would cover you if it's your child...I know it would otherwise..

You would likely have a very large deductible, at least I would..

Sonny

Hey, you might consider getting a Protective Film for the screen,

Photodon has a number of different films and I am pretty sure you can

get a custom cut piece , though I cannot find that link right now.

http://photodon.com/

#11,059 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me /forum/post/15648478

Maybe there is some kind of failure to disclose technicality you can pursue. In the manual, it states that several or so dead pixel is within tolerance. However, no consumer would know this unless they purchased it first and then opened the manual. Consumers buy on the belief that a "warranty" should meet their satisfaction and should cover this defect. Therefore, I don't believe Pioneer properly disclosed their dead pixel tolerance policy prior to the point of sale. Try going through the Pioneer mediation process. Not to harp on Pioneer since they have been fair to resolve several of my issues, but I think they should be better at disclosing this type of defect, especially for the "premium" we pay for their products.

Although I do not intend to spot for a dead pixel, each has their own tolerance level. If I noticed it somehow, it would bother me also.

Absolutely agree with you. I will hear from Pioneer in a day or two and have to tell them exactly what you said. Settling on anything less than perfect wouldn't justify the premium.

#11,060 ·
UMR traveled to CA to see all of his gadget loving clients and was able to squeeze me and my PDP-111FD, SC-07 and BDP-05 into the mix on 1/24. He spent about 5 and 1/2 hours here and provided lots of helpful tips on my system.

I did my own basic DVE BD calibration and tried to mirror many of the members settings here - including those from DNice (Thank you for your continued input DNice you are an asset to the forum).

I can say I am greatly pleased by the results. Overall on the video side

for my 111FD the changes are dramatic:

1) the panel is much brighter:

- with ISF Day and (surprisingly) ISF Night (powersave disabled),

- it's almost XBR LCD like it's so much more impressive now;

2) the colors Pop like never before:

- pre calibration some colors in Pure mode seemed a bit dull to me (Especially compared with other modes);

- I would describe it now as akin to some LCDs I have seen in many stores with the contrast and color cooking, except this is a plasma as close to D65 as it can get,

- UMR uses Disney Pixars' Cars as a demo post calibration - I have never seen the Pixar animation - particularly the Gas Station and main street scenes so clear, so bold and the black pavement so detailed. Even on my basically calibrated front projector at 106".

- UMR also used a scene from another movie with a couple in bed (you can see the outline of the woman's exposed back and neck and the front of the man's chest face and upper arms) to check fleshtones and intermediate colors. - This was [update] Charlotte Grey on DVD and through the Pioneer BDP-05 on Auto (internal scaling applied (firmware 1.21)) the image is near BD quality and the skintones are virtually perfect.

- when I watch the DirecTV feed of NBC's Tonight Show with Jay Leno (a recent episode this week featured Howie Mandel - who is shaved bald) you can tell where the pankake makeup fades out midway across his scalp.

- at first the colors seemed a bit unnatural to me but after watching various sources you can start to see what directors intended and what TV stations do to get your attention by pumping up colors on some feeds and transistions. It's very revealing.

3) the black level is much improved (again if that was possible):

-In a recent Tonight Show episode (another one this week with a Zookeeper and Marissa Tomei) Jay is wearing a black suit with fine two colored pinstriping. You can not only see the pinstripes clearly but you can differentiate the fine white/beige in those same stripes now.

- Comparing the BD "The Dark Night" (with my reference being the IMAX stills taken when Batman first arrives in Hong Kong. The scenes were used to make the jump from the building across to the Chinese Investor's building) as pre/post calibration reference the difference is also apparent. The glass on the blue windows of the exterior is a bit less cool and the reflections are more detailed. Even the makeup on the Joker is clearly more vibrant whereas it was more muted (more purpley grey and cranberry vs white and crimson),

- Even the smoke in the first Bank robbery scene comming from the smoke grenade left in the managers mouth is more green vs gray green before calibration,

- The color from the fluroescent lighting over the teller line in the bank (opening scene) is clearly distinguishable from the natural daylight and other artificial lights in the scene when the camera pans from the teller windows, across the teller line toward the manager's office.

Overall:

It is an amazing set. The difference in pre vs post Calibration results - even on this set - is worth every penny spent on getting it professionally done. You can see my Audio calibration comments on the SC-05/SC-07 owners thread and with that UMR did an equally fantistic job (now I realize it may be soon time to upgrade or add (As UMR recommends) to my sub compliment in my large space) but my system is much clearer and less fatiguing.

I would highly recommend UMR. No matter who you chose pick someone who knows what they are doing and (post break-in) get the panel calibrated. You will kick yourself when you see what you were missing pre-calibration.