AVS Forum banner

Marantz to launch BD player: BD8002

103K views 723 replies 116 participants last post by  al_roethlisberge 
#1 ·
Marantz had a mock up of a future player BD8002 at Cedia. Here are pics:

The unit was a prototype with non functioning buttons and a fixed led screen that light up but obviously wasnt playing a disc.

See less See more
#628 ·
Gotta love the Mac..

#633 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress /forum/post/15698535

A twin which gets no respect as I've not seen any reviews of it; everyone's going for the Denon, it seems. But the 8002 has a Realta chip, and SO processors are said to be very good with video-based sources (of which I have a lot). That might make a nice compliment to my EDGE, which is very good with film.

I was keeping an eye on this thread and saw this comment. As a fence sitter, I agree with this. Woefully little information out there about this player. As I understand it there are few refinement type differences between this player and its Denon brother besides just the warranty, but heck...I'm still not 100 percent sure.

#635 ·
I've been told that the Marantz is simply a rebranded Denon 3800 with a better warranty. That could be true, as both brands share the same parent company and the manuals read very similarly from what I've seen (not that I've read both all the way through). Still, Marantz offers a 3-year warranty versus the Denon's one, and the 3800 thread has many reports of issues, as does the Denon 2930/3930 thread. I'm not sure what to make of that, but I like the Marantz's styling better than its principal competitors (though the more-expensive Pioneer Elite 09 is a gorgeous player).

I need to see this thing in action, that's it. And on my TV (a PRO-111).

#636 ·
the What Hi-Fi website mentioned a Marantz "universal" player is in the works. Anyone heard anything?

#638 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q of BanditZ /forum/post/15770228

I was keeping an eye on this thread and saw this comment. As a fence sitter, I agree with this. Woefully little information out there about this player. As I understand it there are few refinement type differences between this player and its Denon brother besides just the warranty, but heck...I'm still not 100 percent sure.

I've now seen a few mini-reviews of this player online and all are positive, other than the usual complaint about it being only 1.1. I also noted Crutchfield is running low stock; not so for the Denon 3800. I wonder if there's significance in that.

#640 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by will1066 /forum/post/15823559

I'll wait till the stock runs out, then should expect stock with the new firmware. Audio Advisor had a 10% discount online but that offer seems to have ended.

6ave has it for 25% off with coupon code AFLAUD25. Making the price $1500 w free shipping. Just update the firmware yourself...very easy to do. Esp on a Mac. See my earlier post.

Cd

#642 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 /forum/post/15822558

I have no doubt it will be based on the upcoming Denon A1UDCI universal player...as every Marantz BD player seems to be a Denon clone these days.

Something (other than cosmetics) must be different, if they tag it with a heavier warranty than the Denon. Isn't that supposed to be a reflection of the company's confidence in their product or some such idea?

#644 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress /forum/post/15830636

Something (other than cosmetics) must be different, if they tag it with a heavier warranty than the Denon. Isn't that supposed to be a reflection of the company's confidence in their product or some such idea?

Well, you can always do what I do and download both manuals (when available) and compare. The last page where the specs are located is very telling. I recall the Denon 3800 and the Marantz 8002 having identical SNR, THD, etc. numbers.

We can talk about how the power supplies are different, the type of "different experience" you get with a Marantz dealer vs a Denon dealer but in the end, the numbers are the same as supplied by the manufacturer.

#645 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 /forum/post/15832273

Well, you can always do what I do and download both manuals (when available) and compare. The last page where the specs are located is very telling. I recall the Denon 3800 and the Marantz 8002 having identical SNR, THD, etc. numbers.

We can talk about how the power supplies are different, the type of "different experience" you get with a Marantz dealer vs a Denon dealer but in the end, the numbers are the same as supplied by the manufacturer.

If these two players are the same why Denon has numerous FW updates and Marantz has only one?

Did anyone try the FW update yet? I have the disc already burned but did not have time to update my 8002 yet.

#647 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 /forum/post/15832273

I downloaded both manuals a while ago, but have given them only a cursory look. There was great similarity from what I saw. But again, I haven't read them.

#650 ·
Did anyone get a lock up while watching The Death Race? The lock up occurred almost at the end of chapter 14. Nothing was working, not the remote or the buttons on front display of the player. After about 8 minutes the player shut down. I went back to the same place in chapter 14, but the movie played without any more lock ups to the end.

#652 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanVlna /forum/post/15949409

Did anyone get a lock up while watching The Death Race? The lock up occurred almost at the end of chapter 14. Nothing was working, not the remote or the buttons on front display of the player. After about 8 minutes the player shut down. I went back to the same place in chapter 14, but the movie played without any more lock ups to the end.

No problems at all. Played all the way through without any lockup. I have NOT done update 1.09 since I have had only two minor problems in past and no problems since. I have the l.09 update on disk but will just hold it until I start having problems. I am really happy with this player to date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.