AVS Forum banner

**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread

386K views 2K replies 386 participants last post by  edreifuss 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd forward the fact that Yamaha just release all new RX-V_65 AV Receiver series
RX-V665 on Yamaha website

RX-V665 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver

Fully compatible with HD audio and video. Featuring HD audio decoding, HDMI (4 in/ 1 out), 1080p video upscaling. Pure Direct, YPAO, Cinema DSP 3D and custom installation features.

MAIN FEATURES
  • Advanced Features
  • New SCENE buttons (BD/DVD, TV, CD and Radio) - quick and simple to use
  • YPAO sound optimization for automatic speaker setup
  • iPod compatibility via optional YDS-11 Universal Dock
  • Bluetooth (A2DP) compatibility with optional Yamaha Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver YBA-10
  • On-screen display
  • Front panel mini jack for connecting portable audio player
  • iPod song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel and on-screen display
  • HDMI CEC functionality
  • Initial Volume Setting and Maximum Volume Setting
  • New preset remote unit
  • High Picture Quality
  • Analog video upscaling to full HD 1080p
  • 1080p-compatible HDMI (4 in/1 out)
  • Supports Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, 120Hz/24Hz Refresh Rates and Auto Lip-Sync compensation
  • High Sound Quality
  • 7-channel 630W powerful surround sound (90W x 7)
  • Decoders for HD audio formats: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
  • Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels
  • Direct Mode for high quality sound reproduction
  • Surround Realism
  • CINEMA DSP (17 DSP programs) with Adaptive DSP Level
  • Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)
  • Compressed Music Enhancer
  • SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP
  • Audio Delay for adjusting Lip-Sync (0-240ms)
  • Versatile Zone Control
  • Zone 2 on/off and control on front panel
  • Remote input/output
  • Programmable +12V trigger output

Lots of great features on the unit would like to know what you all think about it...just pulled all the stuff from the Yamaha website today

So hopefully someone finds the answers to these questions...regarding the RX-V665

1. Does it pass BTB and WTW over HDMI?

2. Does it Matrix DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA?

3. Does it allow you to pick the crossover point before running the auto calibration?

4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the power supply!

5. Most importantly does it display DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA in large letters across the front display when bitstreaming those formats from a Blu-ray player?

6. Does it display volume information over the OSD?

7. Is the OSD an overlay?

See less See more
#2 ·
How does it only weigh 18 Lbs?

Feature wise it looks pretty good. The 765 is almost exactly the same except 5 more watts per channel and it does sound AND video on zone 2.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/15866603

...and it does sound AND video on zone 2.

The RX-V765 does not send out video for zone 2... but audio yes...it does have intelliamp to assign the speaker outputs...

Pulled from Yamaha website...

"Intelligent Assignable amplifiers for bi-amp or Surround Back or Front Presence or Zone 2 connection "

#6 ·

3. Does it allow you to pick the crossover point before running the auto calibration?

4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the amplifier!

5. Most importantly does it display DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA in large letters across the front display when bitstreaming those formats from a Blu-ray player?

If they have not solved all of those issues then the RX-V663 is still a better receiver.

#7 ·
According to the RX-V665's manual it is rated at 90 Watts at only 1 Khz with .9% THD. Last years RX-V663 was rated at 95 Watts 20 Hz to 20 Khz with .06% THD. And the RX-V665 is 8 pounds lighter than the RX-V663.

The RX-V665 is not looking good in the power supply area according to those specs!

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15867159

4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the amplifier!

$5 gets you $10 they reduced the power supply performance (compared to the 663) which would mean all amplifier channels share a weaker power supply.

Yamaha seemed to do the same thing between the 659 and 661.

Maybe they found a way around this, but it would have to be proved to me via bench testing.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elminster79 /forum/post/15867349

seems that more than one company is cutting back on power for 09 and upping features, its always about sales and cost cutting isn't it.

Not always. For a few years, Yamaha seemed to be doing a great job adding features while keeping costs pretty much the same, which means they were getting more affordable yearly.

I bought the RX-V657, and what a deal that was. Conversion to component video, lots of power, nice remote, I could go on. But I was in love with that receiver.

From the RX-V659 to the RX-V661, power seemed to take a slight hit (based on comparing weight and assuming the transformer was affected.) The 659 seems like it was a beast. When they added HDMI, apparently something else had to go. Now, they seem to have increased cost, added nothing new, and lowered power ( speculation at this point.)

Maybe the global economy is too blame. I guess you could not expect them to keep doing what they were doing.

I reiterate, this is all speculation on my part. I am a Yamaha junkie though, and own a lot of them. So this is based on my knowledge of their product line.

#12 ·

Quote:

4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the power supply!

If they have not solved all of those issues then the RX-V663 is still a better receiver.

FASTEK was kind enough to create an official thread but what he may not realize is that he now has to maintain the first post.

FASKTEK could you add the above questions to the first post and then we can add the responses when the receiver hits the shelves?

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd /forum/post/15868615

FASTEK was kind enough to create an official thread but what he may not realize is that he now has to maintain the first post.

FASKTEK could you add the above questions to the first post and then we can add the responses when the receiver hits the shelves?

I added your questions to the 1st post... I also sent a request to Yamaha to see if we can get these questions answered

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2060 /forum/post/15877890

Here's a little write up about the new Yamaha receivers:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10168346-1.html

Basically they think the improvements are good, except they are worried about the weight loss.

I wouldnt take CNET's review seriously. Its like going to BestBuy to get some advice regarding buying audio/video gear.

Has any of those idiots writing such blurbs at CNET really heard the products they write about?

All they have done is list the features and claim them as great.

#16 ·

Quote:

Few 1000 windings of copper wire in the transformer :)

or a plastic chassis :)

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckZ /forum/post/15868031

I just noticed this today (independent of reading this thread) and I was shocked to find out it only weighed 18 lbs. as well!

I like the price point and that is shares all the same features as the RX-V765, but the product weight is scaring me a little.

my old 795a which is 5.1 is heavier than 663 which is 7.1

certainly they have been cutting down on the power supply

No wonder my 7yr old 795a has so far beaten pretty much all mass market AVR's I have tried

Denon 588

Denon 2809!!didnt have much power . No jaw dropping improvement in SQ

Onkyo 705 no jaw dropping improvment in SQ

Maranyz SR5002 again no improvement. Lousy with changing speaker levels

Yamaha 659,661,663 - pretty much same SQ as 795a

I guess I will get the 663 and just be happy with it and later get a 2ch amp.

It is on its way

If I get the 2700 and like it, I will use the 663 for cable TV. I like the adaptive DRC. Works well. No need to do any calibration.

I guess unlike the change from 657-659-661-663 the change to 665 seems to be drastic (power supply) unless it is a typo. 28lb instead of 18 lb :) but if they are using spring clips for speaker binding posts then it may not be a typo :) If you see spring clips on the back of a

speaker or receiver or amp you should stay away from them :)

#18 ·

Quote:

Basically they think the improvements are good, except they are worried about the weight loss.

They lost all credibility with this statement about the Yamaha RX-V663.

"its upconversion quality was subpar". The 663 converts analog to digital without any quality loss. I think what they were trying to say was that its upscaling was subpar and everyone else knows it does not do that at all. They have no idea what they are talking about.

#19 ·

Quote:

For people who use this receiver purely as a prepro, built-in amp quality/weight loss is a non-issue.

#21 ·
The 665 has a fully adjustable 7-band GEQ for each channel according to the manual. Still no adjustments of the PEQ auto-setup as far as I can tell, but this is a huge step forward for setup tweakers. Will be interesting to see if the 765 adds any functionality in this area.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/15878894

The 665 has a fully adjustable 7-band GEQ for each channel according to the manual. Still no adjustments of the PEQ auto-setup as far as I can tell, but this is a huge step forward for setup tweakers. Will be interesting to see if the 765 adds any functionality in this area.

but the 7 frequencies are preset right?. I would like to pick my own 7 bands which all would be under 150Hz. So such preset eq's are useless.

If 665/765 allow me to pick my own frequencies for EQ then it is a great feature. Most audio problems happen in the bass region. So it makes no sense to pick 7 values in the entire range and fix them.

Sure there are gears like BFD but having such manual EQ inside the AVR would be great.

Does 665 give a 7 band eq for the .1 channel? If so what would be the frequencies?

First they have to allow different cross over for each channel before going for EQ for each channel.

#23 ·
well the frequencies are fixed 63/160/400/1k/2.5k/6.3k/16k

useless to me. only 2 in the bass region and they are fixed.

Many AVRs have this useless feature.

also no separate cross overs.

one good thing is they got rid of the half a dozen s-video and composite crap

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/15879363

Compared to no adjustable EQ at all, it's hardly "useless".

well fixed EQ's are always useless because there is no guarantee that the 2 frequencies 63 and 160 are the only cause for boominess. I never touch the high end as the boominess is in the bass. To me options in the high end or mid are pointless. One always has the tone knob to turn down the highs if it is too bright. The best option is to just allow manual eq.

I dont mind the weight loss if there are more useful goodies so that 665 would be a better pre-pro than 663. But it is not.

So why didnt they cut the price? They want to cut the manufacturing cost but still want to make money. Great sales idea but consumers are not idiots. Sure there are some doctors and lawyers who would walk into CC and BB and take the 10% off MSRP as a great deal. They are idiots but have a fat wallet. They dont form the consumer market.

The 2700 now is still a great deal if video is not a priority. The internet says there are 363 left but dont know how accurate that number is. I have to jump off the fence soon or else I will regret it for a long time.

Once my Denon 2809 sale gets finalized i.e positive feed back, I am getting the 2700 in addition to 663. Then I may not have to buy any AVR or amp for many years. Read the 2700 review in Audioholics. I have not seen such elaborate review of other yamaha amps recently. I have seen most of the mass market AVR's so unless there is some breakthrough technology in audio, I should not need any new AVR for many years when I have 2700 and 663.

#26 ·
Having looked at the 663 for a while, the 665 is a disappointment.

One need only look at the back panel to explain the weight loss. The power consumption label went from 400 watts in the 663 down to 270 in the 665. That's all folks...

There are also other subtle changes obvious with a side by side comparison here:
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/De...&B_compare.y=6

I believe I'll pick up a 663 on sale once the 665's hit the stores.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.