AVS Forum banner

The Official Pioneer 9G non-Elite KURO Owner's Discussion Thread

2M views 15K replies 2K participants last post by  John Hooper 
#1 ·
#9,621 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint S. /forum/post/15949622

Maybe you should have swapped the TV for another one. Some have the buzz, some don't. I don't hear anything from mine, even during break-in, but I have an air cleaner next to it.
Since you say you wish you could turn on the fans, an air cleaner would have done the same thing.

The buzz has very interesting properties. Ie: I can't hear it at 6ft, but I can hear it at 12 ft. If I sit on my couch and lean forward it is less noticeable than if I lean back against the couch. It is very directional, and I think varies greatly depending on orientation of the set, room acoustics, etc. From my reading, viewing and research, I believe all the sets have buzzing, and depending on the above factors and personal feelings, it may or may not be annoying.

One thing I can attest to, doing a direct side-by-side comparison at lunch today (with a very well lit room), is that the A750 LCD that I'm trying out not only doesn't buzz, but hands down, no-questions-asked OBLITERATES the Kuro for black levels in a well lit room. Off-angle and pitch black room is another story, but its something that has to be considered, as I don't have a dedicated home cinema room for this TV....(and if I did, I'd be getting a Projector).

Makes my decision that much harder.

#9,622 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly311 /forum/post/15950397

oh, and one issue I'm having is not being able to pick up any over-the-air signals, analog or digital. I've scanned I don't even know how many times now and it comes back with nothing. I get an error telling me to "check my antenna," but how do I do that? Isn't it built in?

I can't even manually add channels. Nothing comes up for either. I don't have cable in the room (yet), but I'd still just like to see what "TV" looks like on this thing. The thing is the junky TV that's in the kitchen that has one of those digital converter boxes for it picks up channels.

the atsc/digital, ntsc/analog, qam/cable tuners are built in,

as natrone mentioned you would need to connect some sort of uhf/vhf antenna to the set then scan for channels. reception can vary alot depending on your location/distance from the broadcast towers plus geography etc so you may need to try different, bigger, higher outside antennas to get better reception.

#9,623 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydlexius /forum/post/15950013

...Unfortunately, it was DOA. I contacted Pioneer Support, and they referred me to a local authorized service center who'll have a tech out today. Unfortunately 6th Avenue is all sold out, so I don't have any timely recourse through them (if at all).

Here's hoping they can get this display working soon...I've been jonesing for a decent TV for a while!

Did you check the Master Power Switch which is located on the rear panel near the bottom right corner??

many new owners overlook this when they receive their new kuros.

#9,624 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinWhitby /forum/post/15910312

I use STANDARD for normal broadcast viewing. Contrary to what one person reports on here, everyone else confirms that it is NOT 24FPS. And I use OFF for when I want 24FPS.

This is not true.

This has been discussed already. You probably missed something.

The 5020 provides smoother motion on 1080/24p material in Advance and Standard modes. It has been tested and proven.

No one has posted any fact opposite to that.

In Off mode you don't have 24p advantage so you just waste your TV capability.

Quote:
But I don't think I can tell the difference. Just a follower on here

You cannot tell the difference between non-24p and 24p material??

Do you want to say that 5020 is not able to demonstrate that difference? WOW!

I think the reason for your problem is different: you simply don't know how to operate your 5020 properly.

Use Advance and Standard PureCinema modes for 24p advantage.

With Off and Smooth you get same jerkier motion as if your BD player is set to 24p off.

#9,625 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 /forum/post/15950736

the atsc/digital, ntsc/analog, qam/cable tuners are built in,

as natrone mentioned you would need to connect some sort of uhf/vhf antenna to the set then scan for channels. reception can vary alot depending on your location/distance from the broadcast towers plus geography etc so you may need to try different, bigger, higher outside antennas to get better reception.

thanks!

#9,626 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by video313 /forum/post/15950981

This is not true.

This has been discussed already. You probably missed something.

The 5020 provides smoother motion on 1080/24p material in Advance and Standard modes. It has been tested and proven.

No one has posted any fact opposite to that.

In Off mode you don't have 24p advantage so you just waste your TV capability.

False. Your misinformation and privitive youtube videos prove nothing. You had a chance to resolve this once and for all and YOU declined.

AGAIN:
  • Standard does 3:2 pulldown (60Hz) on all signal types
  • Advance does 3:3 pulldown (72Hz) on film based material regardless of signal type
  • Off does 72Hz on 1080p/24 signals only. All other signal types will be @ 60Hz.

#9,627 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/15951160

False. Your misinformation and privitive youtube videos prove nothing. You had a chance to resolve this once and for all and YOU declined.

AGAIN:
  • Standard does 3:2 pulldown (60Hz) on all signal types
  • Advance does 3:3 pulldown (72Hz) on film based material regardless of signal type
  • Off does 72Hz on 1080p/24 signals only. All other signal types will be @ 60Hz.

D-Nice, is there *any* way to get 72Hz from the Kuro for regular TV, and even better, 72Hz for a PC connected to the Kuro?

Unfortunately, I'm very sensitive to the 60Hz flicker.

#9,628 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/15951160
  • ... 3:2 pulldown (60Hz) on all signal types
  • ... 3:3 pulldown (72Hz) on film based material regardless of signal type
  • ... 72Hz on 1080p/24 signals only. All other signal types will be @ 60Hz.

Wrong address.

You are probably answering someone else.

I never talk about abstract numbers.

My post was about practical use of 24p advantage on the 5020 (Standard and Advance modes).

If you are interested: some people do instrumental tests of the 5020 with those numbers in mind.
Please see here. They believe that you just confused the 5020 with elite models .

Thank you.

#9,629 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra /forum/post/15951293

D-Nice, is there *any* way to get 72Hz from the Kuro for regular TV, and even better, 72Hz for a PC connected to the Kuro?

I thought the 'Advance' mode will display at 72Hz regardless of signal, so I guess thats the mode you're looking for.

I also have a question for D-nice. In your Service Menu Adjusted Reference Settings, why do you recommend PC setting to be 'standard'? Since you won't be getting 72Hz refresh rate on that mode per your tests, wouldn't it be better to have it in 'off" mode all the time? This way you can have both 60Hz for 3:2 pulldown content and 72Hz for 3:3 pulldown without having to switch between PC settings when you watch 1080/24P and non 1080/24P content.

#9,630 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheedoe /forum/post/15951391

I thought the 'Advance' mode will display at 72Hz regardless of signal, so I guess thats the mode you're looking for.

Not as far as I could tell. I can clearly see 60Hz flicker when I have my satellite box connected to the Kuro (@ 720p output).

EDIT: I don't know what is meant by "film based material" in D-Nice's description of Advance setting.

#9,631 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by video313 /forum/post/15951340

Wrong address.

You are probably answering someone else.

I never talk about abstract numbers.

My post was about practical use of 24p advantage on the 5020 (Standard and Advance modes).

If you are interested: some people do instrumental tests of the 5020 with those numbers in mind.
Please see here. They believe that you just confused the 5020 with elite models .

Thank you.

I know exactly what display I'm talking about. I've already calibrated 72 9G non-Elites.

Answer this question with a YES or NO...

Do you have a device that shows you the refresh rate of a display? In English, that means can it tell you per a readout what the current refresh rate is?

And before you even attempt to skip over the question, the refresh rate MATTERS when it comes to 1080p/24. Any display can smooth out film judder as long as it can do 3:2 pulldown and that included a 1080p/24 signal.

bmwolf knows there are two types of judder.... you being stuck on stupid fail to realize that. And for the record you cannot tell the refresh rate of a display with a camera. You can only attempt to sync the camera with the pulldown....which works sometimes and sometimes does not.

#9,632 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra /forum/post/15951487

Not as far as I could tell. I can clearly see 60Hz flicker when I have my satellite box connected to the Kuro (@ 720p output).

EDIT: I don't know what is meant by "film based material" in D-Nice's description of Advance setting.

24fps material that can be extracted from any type of signal (480i. 480p, 720p. 1080i).

#9,633 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra /forum/post/15951293

Have you read the manual to see if the display can accept a 72Hz (or 75Hz) PC signal?

#9,634 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheedoe /forum/post/15951391

I thought the 'Advance' mode will display at 72Hz regardless of signal, so I guess thats the mode you're looking for.......

no, the Kuros will only display 60hz when a 60Hz tv signal is received, you cannot use the Advance mode to get it to display 72Hz from the 60hz broadcast signal.

#9,636 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/15951630

Have you read the manual to see if the display can accept a 72Hz (or 75Hz) PC signal?

Yeah, page 74 lists all the PC modes, and they are all 60Hz, which is frustrating, because I *know* it can do 72Hz, and would save my eyes from bugging out when I have my PC connected and surfing the web.

#9,637 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra /forum/post/15951696

Yeah, page 74 lists all the PC modes, and they are all 60Hz, which is frustrating, because I *know* it can do 72Hz, and would save my eyes from bugging out when I have my PC connected and surfing the web.

I'm almost positive it can do 75Hz when in PC mode.

#9,638 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/15951711

I'm almost positive it can do 75Hz when in PC mode.

If it can, I haven't found a way to force it through control panel on my video card.. I suppose it could be a limitation of the HDMI input on my receiver (Pio 1018).. I can try a direct connection to the tv tonight and see if there is a way to force it to display 75Hz

#9,639 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrmgic /forum/post/15951719

If it can, I haven't found a way to force it through control panel on my video card.. I suppose it could be a limitation of the HDMI input on my receiver (Pio 1018).. I can try a direct connection to the tv tonight and see if there is a way to force it to display 75Hz

I highly doubt you can do 75Hz through a receiver. You need a direct connection to the panel.

#9,640 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/15951738

I highly doubt you can do 75Hz through a receiver. You need a direct connection to the panel.

I'll give it a try when I get home tonight. There's an annoying refresh rate issue with ATI drivers and Windows 7 and I think forcing 75hz would clear it up.. (it always goes back to 1080i@30hz on bootup instead of 1080p@60Hz)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.