AVS Forum banner
384K views 3K replies 419 participants last post by  Maverick0984 
#1 ·
Well... I assume this thread might be getting a lot of action soon. The 706 comes with the MultiEQ + DynamicEQ + 1080P + a plethora of HDMI ins + the all important blue back-lit volume knob--that is what sold me. I have one being delivered this week.

I will report back with my initial impressions.

#1,256 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoEsquandolas /forum/post/16055296

Quick question about the 706's decoding abilities. How do I know if the 706 is actually decoding a DD TrueHD or DTS Master Audio signal from my bluray player? I have a Sony BDP-350, which as far as I know does not decode these formats on its own, but will output them in bitstream format for the 706 to decode. Currently when I am watching blurays, I set the bluray menu to "Dolby Digital TrueHD 5.1" or whatever, and the display on my 706 simply reads "Multichannel". Is this the proper listening mode for TrueHD, or should the display read something different if it is actually doing the TrueHD decoding. And if so, what settings do I need to change on my bluray player so that it will output the TrueHD signal in the proper bitstream format?

Currently the bluray is connected to the 706 through HDMI.

Amazon says your player has built in Doby True HD decoding.

"Specifications

Audio Features

* Dolby : Dolby Digital (Decoding): Yes (HDMI bitstream out)

* Dolby Digital plus Decoding : Yes

* Dolby TrueHD Decoding : Yes (HDMI™ bitstream out)

* LPCM : Yes (multi-channel decoding): Yes (HDMI™ bitstream out)

* MP3 Playback : No

* dts Decoding : Yes (HDMI™ bitstream out)

* dts Output : No"

#1,257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desisuperman /forum/post/16055657

Does it say "PCM "as well when it's showing mutlichannel on the display

If so I believe that's lossless audio. From the way i understand it, losless audio is a true uncompressed digital audio feed. Somebody want to elaborate?

There are three types of "lossless" audio:

Dolby TrueHD

DTS HD Master Audio

Uncompressed multichannel pcm

Both the Dolby and DTS can be transmitted from a BD player in their native bitstream form and decoded by the receiver, or decoded by the player and transmitted as uncompressed multichannel pcm to the receiver.

Uncompressed multichannel pcm can be the basic audio tracks on the BD and transmitted in that form from the player to the receiver.

#1,258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/16057253

There are three types of "lossless" audio:

Both the Dolby and DTS can be transmitted from a BD player in their native bitstream form and decoded by the receiver, or decoded by the player and transmitted as uncompressed multichannel pcm to the receiver.

Right, so now how do I get the bluray player to output the bitstream so that it can be decoded by the 706?

What I suspect is happening is that my bluray player (again, it's the Sony 350) is decoding the TrueHD on its own and sending that to the receiver via a multichannel PCM signal, as somebody mentioned before. This is fine with me, and it sounds great, but I just want to be sure and listen to the difference between the bluray decoding it and the receiver decoding it. I want to see the "Dolby TrueHD" listening mode appear on the 706 so I know it's doing the decoding.

#1,259 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoEsquandolas /forum/post/16057413

Right, so now how do I get the bluray player to output the bitstream so that it can be decoded by the 706?

What I suspect is happening is that my bluray player (again, it's the Sony 350) is decoding the TrueHD on its own and sending that to the receiver via a multichannel PCM signal, as somebody mentioned before. This is fine with me, and it sounds great, but I just want to be sure and listen to the difference between the bluray decoding it and the receiver decoding it. I want to see the "Dolby TrueHD" listening mode appear on the 706 so I know it's doing the decoding.

I would suggest you start by reviewing the owner's manuals for both the Sony and the Onkyo.

#1,260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/16057448

I would suggest you start by reviewing the owner's manuals for both the Sony and the Onkyo.

Always good advice.

I would suspect that the Sony is set to output PCM, which should be a simple enough change to make. I'm a Ps3 owner though, so I don't have that option, but I am perfectly happy with it decoding the signal.

#1,261 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtdude /forum/post/16057495

Always good advice.

I would suspect that the Sony is set to output PCM, which should be a simple enough change to make. I'm a Ps3 owner though, so I don't have that option, but I am perfectly happy with it decoding the signal.

Agree. The instructions for setting to bitstream output should be fairly obvious in the manual and easy to do.

#1,262 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoEsquandolas /forum/post/16057413

On the 350:

BD Audio Settings: Direct

The 706 will now decode, but you will not be able to listen to secondary audio.

Note also that the 350 does not decode DTS-HD Master Audio.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ight=dts+hd+ma

#1,263 ·
Hello all,

I was hooking up and testing my new(refurb) SR706 last night and am having a ton of troubles.

after connecting all my speakers (Energy Take Classic 5.1) I powered the unit on and tuned to a radio station to hear some music while i finished setup.

Radio comes through fine and sounds good.

I then moved on to setting my inputs for my DISH receiver and PS3. I was planning on running audio via HDMI and set all up that way. Here's the problem - when I switch to the Sat mode and watch TV, the sound either doesn't work at all, or will cut in and out as if there are loose cables somewhere AND everything sounds slightly digitally distorted. I then moved over to the PS3 and found the same issue.

My next test was to assign these devices to run audio over optical connections in case I was just having weird HDMI issues...but I find I have the same trouble over optical as well.

I also noticed when I go to the test tone menu it will cut and clip out the test tones before finally stopping sound all together after a little bit.

The really strange thing here is that the radio works - seemingly fine.

Does any one have any ideas on something I could be doing wrong or should I pack the thing up and send it back?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

-Reggie

#1,264 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifLove /forum/post/16061546

Hello all,

I was hooking up and testing my new(refurb) SR706 last night and am having a ton of troubles.

after connecting all my speakers (Energy Take Classic 5.1) I powered the unit on and tuned to a radio station to hear some music while i finished setup.

I then moved on to setting my inputs for my DISH receiver and PS3. I was planning on running audio via HDMI and set all up that way. Here's the problem - when I switch to the Sat mode and watch TV, the sound either doesn't work at all, or will cut in and out as if there are loose cables somewhere AND everything sounds slightly digitally distorted. I then moved over to the PS3 and found the same issue.

My next test was to assign these devices to run audio over optical connections in case I was just having weird HDMI issues...but I find I have the same trouble over optical as well.

I also noticed when I go to the test tone menu it will cut and clip out the test tones before finally stopping sound all together after a little bit.

Does any one have any ideas on something I could be doing wrong or should I pack the thing up and send it back?

-Reggie

Check your speaker wiring, probably have some loose strands on your surround or back speakers causing a short.

#1,265 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalifLove /forum/post/16061546

Hello all,

I then moved on to setting my inputs for my DISH receiver and PS3. I was planning on running audio via HDMI and set all up that way. Here’s the problem - when I switch to the Sat mode and watch TV, the sound either doesn’t work at all, or will cut in and out as if there are loose cables somewhere AND everything sounds slightly digitally distorted. I then moved over to the PS3 and found the same issue.

-Reggie

Since the radio sounds fine I doubt it has anything to do with speaker wiring, assuming the radio is playing through all speakers. I would send this question directly to Onkyo Support. I had a question for them and they answered promptly. Hopefully you do not have to send it back...

#1,266 ·
Thanks for the advice, I wrote to Onkyo support earlier - have yet to get a response but I have had more time to play with the receiver. It seems that even on Radio, the sound cuts out after a while - sometimes minutes, sometimes seconds after power up. I notice, when I power the unit on, the little fan inside shakes for a second but never really starts...same deal with power off. Maybe the thing is over-heating as it gets REALLY hot, so much so that is very uncomfortable to hold my hand over the top of it for longer than a few seconds. At any rate, I am pretty much sure the unit is bad... now I get to deal with RMA - yay!

#1,267 ·
Hello all,

This may be a stupid question but I was wondering if the 706 supports 24hz playback. I was set to buy it when I noticed the new yamaha's rx-v series have the following listed in there features:

Quote:
Supports Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, 120Hz/24Hz Refresh Rates and Auto Lip-Sync compensation

I know the 706 has the deep color support but can it also handle the 120/24hz play back? I have a panny 850u which supports 48hz refresh and I also have a ps3, so will I be able to pass the 24hz playback through the 706?

-TheHiFiKid

#1,268 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHiFiKid /forum/post/16066195

Hello all,

This may be a stupid question but I was wondering if the 706 supports 24hz playback. I was set to buy it when I noticed the new yamaha's rx-v series have the following listed in there features:

I know the 706 has the deep color support but can it also handle the 120/24hz play back? I have a panny 850u which supports 48hz refresh and I also have a ps3, so will I be able to pass the 24hz playback through the 706?

-TheHiFiKid

Yes.

The HDMI is version 1.3, required to support Deep Color and x.v.color. 1.3 is also required to support DTS HD Master Audio and Lip Sync. 24hz refresh is supported by all HDMI interfaces. It is the native format for Blu-Ray (1080p/24). 120 hz is the tv refresh rate and has nothing to do with the HDMI interface.

#1,269 ·
Is anyone using DynamicEQ?

After running MultEQ per the "official" Audyssey thread, my bass sounds great.

It sounds great using THX Loudness Plus.

It sounds TERRIBLE (very bloated and spacey) with DynamicEQ.

My setup of MultEQ is described in an earlier post in this thread. I have asked the same question in the Audyssey thread.

#1,270 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink /forum/post/16004965

There are reports the 706's THROUGH mode clips BTB and WTW video information.

For Videophiles, this is unacceptable.

However, YMMV.

Unfortunately, I will have to run my BD player directly to my plasma and hook-up the audio via analog cables to the 706.

WHAT?I have had the 706 since it was first released and i havent noticed any clipping at all.This is something new to me.I use the PS3 to play my BLUs and they look fine.

#1,271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid33nyc1 /forum/post/16067280

WHAT?I have had the 706 since it was first released and i havent noticed any clipping at all.This is something new to me.I use the PS3 to play my BLUs and they look fine.

It only effects a very small percentage of users, mostly who are using a computer as the source but even then the video card can be configured for it not to be an issue or when using some calibration utilities which doesn't mean much either. To the masses it's a non issue.

#1,272 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/16067078

Is anyone using DynamicEQ?

After running MultEQ per the "official" Audyssey thread, my bass sounds great.

It sounds great using THX Loudness Plus.

It sounds TERRIBLE (very bloated and spacey) with DynamicEQ.

My setup of MultEQ is described in an earlier post in this thread. I have asked the same question in the Audyssey thread.

I use DEQ for everything and love it. I had to do some initial tweeking initially after running audyssey and turning on DEQ like turn the sub level down a few notches and also the surrounds after that I love it and would never use it without it. THX Loundness plus sounds good to but it's a set level and doesn't adjust the curve according to the main volume level.

#1,273 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/16067297

It only effects a very small percentage of users, mostly who are using a computer as the source but even then the video card can be configured for it not to be an issue or when using some calibration utilities which doesn't mean much either. To the masses it's a non issue.

Oh i see.Thanks for clearing that up.

#1,274 ·
I'm just curious, are the same people that complain about the BTB and WTW clipping the same people that use Dynamic EQ or THX Loudness all the time? I come from an audio background, and am not concerned about the video clipping, but I would only use a loudness compensation circuit if I was listening at very, very low levels. A few years ago I probably wouldn't have even tried using Audyssey, but I must admit, it does a great job for surround sound.

When I listen to CD's, I don't use EQ, I don't use Audyssey, and I don't use tone controls. I like it clean.

I think it would be funny if the guys that worried about BTB and WTW clipping had absolutely no problem with adding all kinds of extra equalization to their sound.

#1,275 ·
Anybody have a good place to buy a 706? I ordered my 706 from 6ave almost two weeks ago and they still don't know when it is suppose to come in. I had a guy tell me last week within a week they should get them in and now today someone told me 2 more weeks at the earliest! I got a really good deal on it from them (sub $500) and everywhere else I look they are >$600! I don't really want to wait another month to get it but for $100 or more I may have to. Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks for the help!

#1,276 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtdude /forum/post/16070769

I'm just curious, are the same people that complain about the BTB and WTW clipping the same people that use Dynamic EQ or THX Loudness all the time? I come from an audio background, and am not concerned about the video clipping, but I would only use a loudness compensation circuit if I was listening at very, very low levels. A few years ago I probably wouldn't have even tried using Audyssey, but I must admit, it does a great job for surround sound.

When I listen to CD's, I don't use EQ, I don't use Audyssey, and I don't use tone controls. I like it clean.

I think it would be funny if the guys that worried about BTB and WTW clipping had absolutely no problem with adding all kinds of extra equalization to their sound.

I don't care about the clipping issue.

But the point I think you are missing is that THX Loudness Plus and Dynamic EQ are DESIGNED to be used ANYTIME you are listening BELOW the zero db reference level. It is not supposed to matter whether it is 1 db below or as in my case, 16 to 20 db below.

#1,277 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 /forum/post/16073049

I don't care about the clipping issue.

But the point I think you are missing is that THX Loudness Plus and Dynamic EQ are DESIGNED to be used ANYTIME you are listening BELOW the zero db reference level. It is not supposed to matter whether it is 1 db below or as in my case, 16 to 20 db below.

I understand that, but I'm just not a fan of equalization. If I really want to watch something quietly though, I use it. I never use it with music. I'd rather bust out the headphones and listen to it at regular volume than use any sort of EQ, tone controls, etc.

#1,278 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvtdude /forum/post/16073144

I understand that, but I'm just not a fan of equalization. If I really want to watch something quietly though, I use it. I never use it with music. I'd rather bust out the headphones and listen to it at regular volume than use any sort of EQ, tone controls, etc.

And that's they they included the option to turn it off, nice to have choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.