AVS Forum banner

Official Sony KDL-xxV5100 Thread

667K views 5K replies 610 participants last post by  tylertenny 
#1 ·
All

Id anyone has seen my posts you will realise that I am in an unfortunate situation whereby my trusty Sony SXRD 60" XBR1 has finally died and therefore I need to find a replacement. What sucks is that this is on the cusp or in some cases before the 09' models are out.

I have been considering either the Panny 58" 800u Plasma or the new 09 Sony V5100. With the Sony being so new I cannot find any reviews or comments so I am posting this thread to see if anyone has got their hands on one of these units yet and get their feedback.

I really want to be as close (size wise) to what I have today but feel it is now cost prohibitive.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks all

WC

See less See more
#4 ·
From last year's V series, the 5100 takes away Xcross media guide for advanced on screen guide. Adds Bravia2 engine, Motionflow w/120Hz, USB (Photo/music, 50,000/1 dynamic contrast, new design cabinet, one more HDMI, increased color control and more.

#10 ·
i just bought one online today(52"), should be arriving in a wk or so, personally i would wait a bit longer for the w5100 but according to the link posted earlier that doesn't come out till july and i don't wanna hear the wife complain about not having a tv for 4 months

#15 ·
Unfortunately Sony lost a sale to me replacing my 40V4100 (moving it to the bedroom) and buying a new 46 or 52V5100 because they have deleted the option of VARIABLE or fixed audio out. Is now fixed output only. I use the VARIABLE audio output on my living room set to drive a Sony powered subwoofer to enhance the built-in speakers with some bass. Sounds quite good that way, and I don't have to run the AV receiver all day and night just to get a little bass. In the bedroom I use the VARIABLE audio out on an older Sony CRT set I was going to retire to drive a small 35 Watt stereo amp and a pair of small acoustic suspension speakers. Oh well maybe next year's models, or a different brand will offer that feature.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat_1 /forum/post/16038645

I was hoping to find out whether this has the auto dim feature people have complained about on the older models.

Question #1: I'm also curious if the V5100 has the auto dim feature and/or if it can be enabled/disabled according to a user's preferences. Anyone know?

Question #2: Is there a "Game Mode", and if so, with it enabled are the picture settings still adjustable (brightness, contrast, etc)?

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1011 /forum/post/16211886

On my V5100 I have not even noticed any auto dim.

It will prolly happen you just have not made it happen yet.

if you wish to see this happen display something on the screen that is nearly completely black but has something that isnt black on it and i'm sure it will do it, pretty much all recent Sony's do it. its not a major problem if you have the TV setup correctly for what your doing and really only happens in movies with very dark scenes but even then backlit LCD's are bad with that sort of material anyways it comes with the territory though sony and samsung are the best with black levels

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/16211960

It will prolly happen you just have not made it happen yet.

if you wish to see this happen display something on the screen that is nearly completely black but has something that isnt black on it and i'm sure it will do it, pretty much all recent Sony's do it. its not a major problem if you have the TV setup correctly for what your doing and really only happens in movies with very dark scenes but even then backlit LCD's are bad with that sort of material anyways it comes with the territory though sony and samsung are the best with black levels

I will keep my eye out for it But I watched several movies with Dark scenes and have not noticed. I did calibrate it with Digital Video Essenstials Blue Ray and all Is well .So far I'm a happy camper .Love the Blacks on this set.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbo1011 /forum/post/16212021

I will keep my eye out for it But I watched several movies with Dark scenes and have not noticed. I did calibrate it with Digital Video Essenstials Blue Ray and all Is well .So far I'm a happy camper .Love the Blacks on this set.

I've done the same on my set and that is what i tell others that have the issue to do. when your TV's picture settings are TOO BRIGHT the software forces the backlight to dim to keep you from seeing a really bad blacklight washed picture imo.

#23 ·
Are people who think auto dim is not a big deal using HDMI port? I'm using HDMI and I literally can't watch a movie on this thing... The auto dim comes and goes constantly. My screen is calibrated, and I make my living as a broadcast television engineer, so i know my around video calibration.

I just can't figure out how people are not freaking out more over this auto dim thing.

I'm going to return mine as defective and get the Sammy 550 if I can.

-JC

#24 ·
Is the "Adv. Contrast Enhancer" under the Picture menu causing the auto-dimming, or is it not an option that can be turned off?

I know my Panasonic projector has a similar "feature" that I promptly turned off. It would dim/brighten every single time I'd swing a sword in Oblivion.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamfan16 /forum/post/16216266

Is the "Adv. Contrast Enhancer" under the Picture menu causing the auto-dimming, or is it not an option that can be turned off?

I know my Panasonic projector has a similar "feature" that I promptly turned off. It would dim/brighten every single time I'd swing a sword in Oblivion.

i saw this TV @ sonystyle and thought had a bit better contrast than its predecessor

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamfan16 /forum/post/16216266

ACE has been known to effect the dimming on some peoples sony TV's its worth messing with to see if it helps normally turning it on helps more than off according to most people. on my 32xbr6 it does nothing to it.

game mode is also known to lessen the auto dim. this does do ALLOT to minimize it on my 32xbr6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.