AVS Forum banner

Official Sony KDL-xxV5100 Thread

667K views 5K replies 610 participants last post by  tylertenny 
#1 ·
All

Id anyone has seen my posts you will realise that I am in an unfortunate situation whereby my trusty Sony SXRD 60" XBR1 has finally died and therefore I need to find a replacement. What sucks is that this is on the cusp or in some cases before the 09' models are out.

I have been considering either the Panny 58" 800u Plasma or the new 09 Sony V5100. With the Sony being so new I cannot find any reviews or comments so I am posting this thread to see if anyone has got their hands on one of these units yet and get their feedback.

I really want to be as close (size wise) to what I have today but feel it is now cost prohibitive.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks all

WC

See less See more
#102 ·
After a few days of watching, the auto dim thing still doesn't bother me too much. It turned on twice during some very dark scenes in episode 4 of Planet Earth(BD). I also watched a couple of BDs on it, the picture is perfect, no auto dim during BD playbacks. So I am keeping this TV unless something goes seriously wrong in the next few weeks.

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/16276233

its a built in function on most all sony TV's you cannot turn it off.

as an owner of an auto dimming 32xbr6, I'm surprised that so many are having major problems with it. I take it sony has made it worse on these new sets than their previous ones because the vast majority of us 08' model sony BE2 powered TV owners on here don't have much of an issue with the dimming, I mean we wish we could disable it but it does not happen enough to want to return the TV's

is that so ? my impression is that auto dimming is a pretty big problem from reading all the various owners' etc. threads for the different sony 2008 models (except the xbr8).

i wonder if some of this stuff isn't such a problem on the smaller sets, such as your 32", just because of screen area.

TVbc

#105 ·
Here is what I notice. The auto Dim seems to be worse under certain lighting or calibration settings.

One of the big ones seems to be that with the gamma setting to off the set dims much more.

I did some more calibrating with DVE and found that the Gamma settings is proper at low not off.

With my current settings Auto Dim doesnt seem to ever make the set to dark to see. And it has a proper calibrated image.

For info sake I view the set in very bright day time and in a room lit by the TV itself and a 2 25 watt bulbs at night.

#106 ·
I have been trying to get information from any XBR6 owners about the auto dim feature. As posted above, I am returning my 52V5100 tonight and need to decide upon a suitable replacement. I have been looking at the Samsung 750 and also the XBR6. As I did enjoy the Sony picture, the dimming was too noticeable.
I watch the TV in a predominantly dark room, whick I think increases the dimming problem. Anyhow, if the XBR6 has a firmware fix, or perhaps less noticeable dimming, I might try another Sony. Any XBR owners have any thoughts?

#107 ·
Man, I don't know what you guys are watching, but the auto-dim rarely happens to me. I was watching Step Brothers last night on blu-ray and it happened once, but only because the screen faded to black. But as soon as the picture came back it switched back on in a split second. It's yet to bother me or affect my viewing.

And I'll ask again, did anybody not get a manual with their tv?

#108 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVbc /forum/post/16276931

is that so ? my impression is that auto dimming is a pretty big problem from reading all the various owners' etc. threads for the different sony 2008 models (except the xbr8).

i wonder if some of this stuff isn't such a problem on the smaller sets, such as your 32", just because of screen area.

TVbc

I don't think that has anything to do with it, when mine dims its very noticeable, the thing is in um let say at least 40 movies I have now watched on my TV only one has caused auto dim during the movie and even the credits on a black screen only cause it briefly until some text shows up and then its back to norm

I think its more likely that SerialMike is correct in his statement that the TV's have have major problems with the dim need a rough calibration. i've done it to mine with the DVE HD basics disc and i've messed with my picture settings from there to attempt to make the dim happen even less but the more i mess with the picture from that setting the worse the autodim gets! Its also worth noting that I've read reviews of XBR6's and they also said autodim was a problem untill they calibrated the TV then it became almost a none issue because it happened allot less and the black levels were still watchable if it did happen with no loss of detail.

If my settings are left at the semi calibrated setting I very rarely see the dim happen in movies or on my PC/playing console games. on broadcast TV via the built in tuner I have never seen it happen.

#109 ·
If my settings are left at the semi calibrated setting I very rarely see the dim happen in movies or on my PC/playing console games. on broadcast TV via the built in tuner I have never seen it happen.[/quote]

I've calibrated my 46" 5100 many times over now and it has no effect at all on the auto dim hell I find myself in. Last night I tried to watch Usual Suspects, and within the first 20 min. the auto dim cycled 17 times during low light scenes. I brought my laptop to the store and plugged it in only to find the exact same results on display models, so I know this is a model wide problem.

-JC

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshc011 /forum/post/16280313

I've calibrated my 46" 5100 many times over now and it has no effect at all on the auto dim hell I find myself in. Last night I tried to watch Usual Suspects, and within the first 20 min. the auto dim cycled 17 times during low light scenes. I brought my laptop to the store and plugged it in only to find the exact same results on display models, so I know this is a model wide problem.

-JC

it really does sound like sony has made this problem worse than it was then, perhaps when everyone is returning their TV's sony will wake up and finally give us a real way to shut it off

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito /forum/post/16281029

it really does sound like sony has made this problem worse than it was then, perhaps when everyone is returning their TV's sony will wake up and finally give us a real way to shut it off

Amen brother. That would be good day indeed.

P.S. I'm inclined to agree that this new 2009 "S" 5100 series must be worse than the other models just based on comments in this thread. I have no real world evidence to support this though.

-JC

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshc011 /forum/post/16281309

Amen brother. That would be good day indeed.

P.S. I'm inclined to agree that this new 2009 "S" 5100 series must be worse than the other models just based on comments in this thread. I have no real world evidence to support this though.

-JC

Well this is a V series thread so maybe us V series are not getting quite as bad a results as the S. Maybe that is what the issue is.

#113 ·

Wow... The way some of you talking... I might be better going off getting the 46W4100 instead of getting the new V5100... I'm into BD movies & anime big.. But mostly the tv will be for watching sports & playing video games .... At the same time... What do you think have the better 120hz processor.. The 4100 or 5100???

.... I was checking out the stats on the upcoming 5100Z & the new xbr 9... The contrast is 100,000 .I haven't heard anything on the 5100W as of yet If they even have one coming out that is....... What do you guys or ladies think about that??? Also if anyone here has an xbr7... What do you think of it???

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandam2000 /forum/post/16282763

Wow... The way some of you talking... I might be better going off getting the 46W4100 instead of getting the new V5100... I'm into BD movies & anime big.. But mostly the tv will be for watching sports & playing video games .... At the same time... What do you think have the better 120hz processor.. The 4100 or 5100???

.... I was checking out the stats on the upcoming 5100Z & the new xbr 9... The contrast is 100,000 .I haven't heard anything on the 5100W as of yet If they even have one coming out that is....... What do you guys or ladies think about that??? Also if anyone here has an xbr7... What do you think of it???

IMHO I would snatch up a W4100 while you still can, everyone that owns one loves it go read the owners thread its a tried and tested good sony TV the V5100 does not offer anything better and is possibly worse due to this auto-dim issue apparently effecting these models more so than last years sony's

#116 ·
I hooked up my 52V5100 last night and my wife and I watched "Twilight" (terrible first movie to watch on a new set... not my choice). I only witnessed the auto-dim 2-3 times, and that was when the set faded to complete black - I even think 1 of those times was when I exited the DVD and returned to the Xbox360 dashboard. My 360 is currently connected via component cables.

The only settings that I changed from default were to turn off things like ACE and the Light Sensor, but I didn't change any of the "real" calibration settings.

I plan to watch some of the really dark scenes from "Changeling" today via HDMI from my laptop. I'll post my experience.

*On a different note* Anybody with this set, or a comparable Sony set, notice that their TV leans slightly? When looking at my TV, it is rotated counterclockwise a bit. The lower left corner is about 4cm from table, while the lower right corner is about 5cm. During the unboxing and initial viewing I was braced for the auto-dim, and it's this slight lean that got me. I'll probably just put an extra pad underneath the stand.

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamfan16 /forum/post/16285794

I hooked up my 52V5100 last night and my wife and I watched "Twilight" (terrible first movie to watch on a new set... not my choice). I only witnessed the auto-dim 2-3 times, and that was when the set faded to complete black - I even think 1 of those times was when I exited the DVD and returned to the Xbox360 dashboard. My 360 is currently connected via component cables.

The only settings that I changed from default were to turn off things like ACE and the Light Sensor, but I didn't change any of the "real" calibration settings.

I plan to watch some of the really dark scenes from "Changeling" today via HDMI from my laptop. I'll post my experience.

*On a different note* Anybody with this set, or a comparable Sony set, notice that their TV leans slightly? When looking at my TV, it is rotated counterclockwise a bit. The lower left corner is about 4cm from table, while the lower right corner is about 5cm. During the unboxing and initial viewing I was braced for the auto-dim, and it's this slight lean that got me. I'll probably just put an extra pad underneath the stand.

Measured here, no lean.

#118 ·

Quote:

Yep my W did the same thing. Notice anything about where all the inputs and heavy hardware (and subsequent cable added weight) are on the TV. Left sided on mine.
Thus to me, it seem the extra weight equals a little downward shift. I've had mine counter wedged with some slim books to slight over correct it for now 6 months. I am just about ready to pull the books out and see how it stands.

#119 ·

Quote:

I had the lean issue. I wedged some small cardboard squares under the mount and it is now fine.

I have had my set dim once when it was going to a commercial and back. I have not had this happen to me in any blu-ray movies or ps3 games. Most of my settings are default for now until I have more time to play with it.

#120 ·
I couldn't make it through "Changeling" for a full second viewing (too many estrogen-fueled movies in the last 48 hours), but the set did auto-dim once in the first 30 minutes. It happened at about 11 min 30 sec into the movie. Angelina Jolie is looking around the neighborhood for her son at night, and the only bright thing in the shot his her pale face. The screen dimmed to almost black. Again, this was via HDMI from my laptop.

I'm now going to try "Pitch Black" and "V for Vendetta" on my Xbox360 HD-DVD drive using component.

#121 ·
#122 ·
Well, "V for Vendetta" actually ended up OK - its dark scenes still retained enough bright material to prevent any auto-dimming (that I saw).

"Pitch Black", however, was a different story. At about the 1 hour mark, when the 'night' begins, auto-dim occurs regularly. I'd say 6-8 times during the rest of the movie. While that's still below some of the disturbing numbers posted by others during other movies, it was still disruptive and wholly unnecessary.

It is sad that it cannot be addressed by a firmware update, since I'm sure that one of Sony's programmers could add the option to the menu during a smoke break. But since its probably an energy-saving feature, I doubt that they'll touch it. I think that this excerpt from Wikipedia on "Energy Star" explains why auto-dim might have gotten more aggressive on this year's model:
Quote:
ENERGY STAR qualified televisions use 30% less energy than average. In November 2008, television specifications will be improved to limit on-mode power use, in addition to standby power which is limited by the current specifications. A wider range of ENERGY STAR qualified televisions will be available. Other qualified home electronics include cordless phones, battery chargers, VCRs and external power adapters, most of which use 90% less energy.

But maybe it's not part of the 'energy star' qualification, since I fail to see how a power-guzzling TV can save a significant amount of electricity by auto-dimming like this. I guess I'll just have to hope...

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamfan16 /forum/post/16294373

Well, "V for Vendetta" actually ended up OK - its dark scenes still retained enough bright material to prevent any auto-dimming (that I saw).

"Pitch Black", however, was a different story. At about the 1 hour mark, when the 'night' begins, auto-dim occurs regularly. I'd say 6-8 times during the rest of the movie. While that's still below some of the disturbing numbers posted by others during other movies, it was still disruptive and wholly unnecessary.

It is sad that it cannot be addressed by a firmware update, since I'm sure that one of Sony's programmers could add the option to the menu during a smoke break. But since its probably an energy-saving feature, I doubt that they'll touch it. I think that this excerpt from Wikipedia on "Energy Star" explains why auto-dim might have gotten more aggressive on this year's model:

But maybe it's not part of the 'energy star' qualification, since I fail to see how a power-guzzling TV can save a significant amount of electricity by auto-dimming like this. I guess I'll just have to hope...

Sony CAN fix this but they won't not because of energy star BS but because they believe it keeps people from returning and complaining about backlight bleed, flashlights and clouding.

Hopefully with how widespread this problem already is with the V5100 they will wake up and do something about it but so far with 08' sonys allthough they are not as bad as these new models with auto-dimming they have released many FW updates but never once has one disabled or allowed you to disable this auto dim

#124 ·
When I guessed the energy star certification as motive for the autodim, it's because I had some experience with it on a previous job. I don't know if Sony implemented it to hide imperfections (and prevent returns as frito said) or to qualify for ES certification. Both arguments seem plausible and frito has a good point. Heck, it might even be because Sony engineers are incompetent, but I think that's highly unlikely, hehe.

I worked at a company that designed electronic components and I remember my boss was obsessed with getting the ES certification and when I asked why, I was told we get tax incentives and subsidy when our products qualify. And to qualify, we only needed to make a product that consumed a certain percentage of electricity less than comparable general models. That was more than 10 years ago -- I don't work in the field any more and have no clue if this is how it works now. But if I'm to guess, ES probably plays a big role in any company's bottom line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.