AVS Forum banner

TVGOS ( TV Guide On Screen ) Devices

273K views 1K replies 149 participants last post by  howie14 
#1 ·
This thread was started in an attempt to do the following;
  1. List CE devices with Gemstar /Macrovision /ROVI TVGOS
  2. Provide links to other threads on this Forum discussing that device with TVGOS
  3. List if the CE device is compatible with DTV (Digital) TVGOS transmissions - v8 (w/base 08.##.65 and up) and newer are

In order to gather that information and keep it updated in this post, keep this in mind...

When posting, please provide the following three pieces of information in your post;
  1. Manufacturer and Model of device you use it on (add revision/version/build, etc. if you know it matters).
  2. Links to threads on this forum discussing your device and TVGOS, or "don't know".
  3. TVGOS Version on your device, i.e. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or "don't know".

If you can't find a thread on this forum covering your device and TVGOS, check back here as this post will get updated with any links that replies here provide.

Trip maintains the RabbitEars website listing confirmed TVGOS host channels here and an Unofficial Guide to TVGOS written by Lance G. here

If you don't know which version of TVGOS you have, here is some info that may help you to find it;

Quote:
Version 0 of the Guide does NOT have any diagnostics.

You can recognize a V0 device by its menu.

SURF NEXT SCAN SORT

Version 1 of the Guide does have diagnostics.

You can recognize a V1 device by its menu.

FEATURES NEXT SCAN SORT

Version 2 and higher of the Guide do have diagnostics.

You can recognize a V2 device by its menu.

GRID SORT SCHEDULE MESSAGES

For V1 Diagnostics, select FEATURES, then DIAGNOSTICS, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.

For V2 - V7 Diagnostics, go to MESSAGES, down arrow to highlight the TVG ID number, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852 (for some RCA devices, precede this code with a 2).

For V8 Diagnostics, Open TV Guide On Screen, highlight SETUP on the service bar, down arrow once, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.

For V9 Diagnostics - According to real world users: Open TV Guide On Screen, highlight SETUP on the service bar, down arrow once, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852. (But, according to Macrovision: Open TV Guide On Screen, highlight SETUP on the service bar, press ENTER, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.) Whatever works for you.

NOTE: For V9 Guide Daily, Bring up TV Guide, press 'Menu' button, highlight first choice, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.

Here's what my v8 device shows for versions. IGNORE THE 2 DIGIT NUMBER IN THE MIDDLE, i.e. 08.XX.44.
Quote:
08.02.44/08.06.44/00.00.00/00040005/64/0000
08.01.71/08.06.44/00.00.00/00040005/64/0000

Upper one is before my device got a firmware update from the mfg to update the base version, lower is current after the firmware update from mfg to update the base version. Version before first / is base version, after first / is patch version.

In both cases I have main patch 08.06.44, but the base version before is lower than the base version after, if you read it correctly and IGNORE the middle two numbers (XX) between the .'s on the base version! i.e. 08.ignore_this_part.44 is lower than 08.ignore_this_part.71. Think of it as 08.44 is old and 08.71 is newer. I know, it's counterintuitive to the way most developers version their software.
Code:
Code:
Understanding TVGOS firmware revisions

Devices are built with a base firmware revision which cannot be changed, except by a firmware update from your device's manuafacturer.

For example:

9.1.27/9.6.01
| | ||
| | 27 designates the minor release level.
| |
| 1 designates that this is a general release for all partners and devices. 
| 2 would designate a platform or model specific release, ex. All brand X DVRs.
|
9 is the major release level and designates what UI and level of functionality are included.

Patch levels

A patch would be displayed between the first and second slash.  For example:

9.1.27/9.6.01/
         |
         6 designates a main patch.  These usually include all patches released up to this time.
         5 would designate a setup patch.  These are short patches which fix one or two specific bugs.

Patches are downloaded over VBI just like lineup or listings.  
Main patches download three times a day during listing downloads.  
Setup patches are downloaded many times a day.  
Setup patches are critical, and they are shorter than main patches so they can 
be downloaded to units that may have trouble downloading the larger main patches.
If enough posters reply, you won't have to spend days searching the forum or reading threads to find the info you're looking for.

With so many devices using TVGOS, you will likely find relevant information in threads discussing other devices.

It could help answer questions you have, for example;
  • Is anyone else using the same device and experiencing the same issues with TVGOS?
  • Is my device's TVGOS compatible with digital TVGOS transmissions?
  • Is there an update from the manufacturer of my device to allow it to be compatible with digital TVGOS transmissions?
  • What CECB's convert digital TVGOS to Analog?
  • What non-CE CB's convert digital TVGOS to Analog?

ManufacturerModelTVGOS_Version (*0)Digital_compatibleForum_Links
ALLALLALLv08.xx.65 and upThe Magic 8 Ball Speaks Out On TVGOS & DTV!
ALLALLALLv08.xx.65 and upTV Guide OnScreen issues for all devices: TV's, STB's, DVD Recorders & DVR's
ALLALLALLv08.xx.65 and upTV Guide On Screen - post your info here!
DISH/EchostarDTVPal (*1)9YESDish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter
DISH/EchostarDTVPal+ (*1)9YESDish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter
DISH/EchostarTR40 (*1)9YESDish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter
DISH/EchostarDTVPal DVR9YESThe Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!
LG42LB1DR8v08.xx.65 and up?
LG50PX4DR8v08.xx.65 and up?
LG60PX4DR8v08.xx.65 and up?
LGLST-3410A7w/ DTVPalLG LST-3410A Review and Discussion
MitsubishiLT-462318v08.xx.65 and upOfficial Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread
MitsubishiLT-462449 (Guide Daily)Yes?
Mitsubishiv33/v34 chassis8v08.xx.65 and up (Netcommand v8.03)2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread
PanasonicDMR-E957w/ DTVPal?
PanasonicDMR-EH507w/ DTVPal?
PanasonicDMR-EH559DTVPal ?/NO ATSC TunerPanasonic DMR-EH55 User Review and Questions and Panasonic DMR-EH75V, TVGOS and Dish DTVPal+
PanasonicDMR-EH75V9DTVPal ?/NO ATSC TunerPanasonic DMR-EH55 User Review and Questions and Panasonic DMR-EH75V, TVGOS and Dish DTVPal+
PanasonicDMR-E85H7w/ DTVPal?
PanasonicDVDR'sSee Thread->See Thread->Panasonic DVD recorder US models, years produced and features
PioneerDVR-6338v08.xx.65 and upPioneer Disappearing EPG
SamsungHLR-56788v08.xx.65 and up?
SharpLC32D7U8v08.xx.65 and up?
SharpLC37D5U8v08.xx.65 and upThe Official Sharp 37-inch LCD Thread
SonyDHG-HDD2508v08.xx.65 and upSony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread
SonyDHG-HDD5008v08.xx.65 and upSony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread
SonyHX9007w/ DTVPalSony RDR-HX900: Will it work after Feb. 17 changeover to digital broadcast?
SonyKDL-40W41009YES?
SonyKDL-40XBR69YES?
SonyKDL-40Z41009YES?
SonyKDL-42V41009YES?
SonyKDL-46V41009YES?
SonyKDL-46W41009YES?
SonyKDL-46W41509YES?
SonyKDL-46XBR69YES?
SonyKDL-46XBR89YES?
SonyKDL-46Z41009YES?
SonyKDL-52V41009YES?
SonyKDL-52W41009YES?
SonyKDL-52XBR69YES?
SonyKDL-55XBR89YES?
SonyKDL-70XBR79YES?
Toshiba50HP958v08.xx.65 and upOfficial Toshiba 42HP95, 42HPX95, 50HP95 & 50HPX95 Thread
Toshiba50HPX958v08.xx.65 and upOfficial Toshiba 42HP95, 42HPX95, 50HP95 & 50HPX95 Thread
Toshiba62HM948v08.xx.65 and up?

NOTES:
  • (*0) - This is the base build TVGOS version in your device, so far only updateable by the device manufacturer vs. a TVGOS patch version that is transmitted with TVGOS data.
  • (*1) - The DISH/Echostar DTVPal, DTVPal+ and TR40 are not a TVGOS device in the sense they don't utilize TVGOS data to display TVGOS on an attached TV or Monitor (they use PSIP from each digital station for that). They will, however convert digital TVGOS data received OTA to analog TVGOS data (refer to your PAL/TR40 User Guide) needed by many older TVGOS devices (versions below 08.xx.65).

POST#2 in the thread will track Version Updates to POST#1

See less See more
#152 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf /forum/post/16283996

With the Sony 250/500, the "vbi channel" is simply the channel the unit is tuned to, not necessarily one from which it has gotten anything...does the Mits use a different nomenclature?

In my case, the VBI channel is the last channel the TVGOS tuned to (while harvesting/scanning), not what I tune it to before going into the TVGOS diag screen. As I mentioned, I always tune the Antenna input to CBS digital 13.1 before I switch inputs (to the TiVoHD, Blu-Ray, Firewire DVR, etc.) or turn the set off. My set powers on to the input and channel it was last set to when turned off. AND, I do not have any analog channels enabled in the channel editor for my set (I'm talking about my Mits TV device, not the TVGOS channel editor, since I don't even have a TVGOS lineup).

P.S. The analog channel 42 (KTNC-TuVisión) it was tuned to is 60 mi. away LOS, very snowy and does not even carry Closed-Captioned data

P.P.S. Just to make sure, I just turned the set on again to check and it came up on another Spanish analog channel 19 (KUVS-Univision), 60 mi. away LOS and off direction from my UHF antenna aiming. It's definitely cheating on me. It appears to prefer Spanish, hmmm?!?, now looking for the language preference in TVGOS setup

#153 ·
bwall23...I think we're probably in agreement - in that your TV is TRYING to cheat on you, i.e., is scanning (as it should if it is not getting data from where it used to)...but what I meant (just in case you weren't aware of it) is that the vbi channel does not necessarily have any TVGOS data...it is just what your unit was last tuned to (whether by your action, or from scanning, I guess)...

(Many people don't know how to distinguish the vbi channel from the host channel)

#154 ·
myoda; Mine is a 57732.

I have been hounding Mits in California (forget about overseas) for a solution since their upgraded firmware was suppose to work, but doesn't. I got another response via e-mail and a phone call that they are still working on it.

#155 ·
Surprise , Surprise ............. Today when I was checking out the new firmware on one of my HDD500's I decided to press the "Guide" button on my Mits 46246 remote. Lo and Behold ....... The grid was filled in with listings for the first time in a month!

#156 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf /forum/post/16284373

bwall23...I think we're probably in agreement - in that your TV is TRYING to cheat on you, i.e., is scanning (as it should if it is not getting data from where it used to)...but what I meant (just in case you weren't aware of it) is that the vbi channel does not necessarily have any TVGOS data...it is just what your unit was last tuned to (whether by your action, or from scanning, I guess)...

(Many people don't know how to distinguish the vbi channel from the host channel)

Yes, the VBI Channel is definitely the last channel that TVGOS tuned to before I entered the diag screens. Today when checking mine, my set turned on to analog channel 19 (not in my list of channels I enabled) on the ANT1 input (OTA UHF antenna), the VBI Channel was 1:0-37 which is analog 37 on ANT2 input. I have nothing connected to the ANT2 input and there is no channel 37 (analog or digital, virtual or physical) anywhere near me.

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 /forum/post/16198512

My Mits TVGOS (v08.01.71) hasn't picked up new software or a channel lineup since I reset it 6 days ago. Since I finally got a dual-stream Cable Card in my TiVo HD, I gave the single stream card that was in my Mits back to Comcast.

As far as TVGOS on my Mits goes, I'm strictly digital OTA now. Disconnected Comcast cable from the Mits and plugged my OTA UHF antenna in. Setup the Mits for OTA on that input, scanned channels and turned off all analog channels in the Mits channel editor so they cannot be tuned. I then System Reset the TVGOS and set it up from scratch.

I'm not going to play with TVGOS anymore (tune to Host & leave on, do G* Test, etc.). I'll check it once a day to see if it ever gets a lineup.

OK, It's been just a wee bit too long since you'all Sony DHG users reported success immediately after applying your firmware updates to bring you up to the same TVGOS software version I've been (NOT) enjoying. I'm just going to assume that either my broadcaster or cableco isn't passing the TVGOS info, that you'all seem to be enjoying... I was there, many months ago, before Sony released the same version that I've been running on my Mits.

#158 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 /forum/post/16296110

OK, It's been just a wee bit too long since you'all Sony DHG users reported success immediately after applying your firmware updates to bring you up to the same TVGOS software version I've been (NOT) enjoying. I'm just going to assume that either my broadcaster or cableco isn't passing the TVGOS info, that you'all seem to be enjoying... I was there, many months ago, before Sony released the same version that I've been running on my Mits.

SO, I'm happy I made the right choice

#160 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/16297723

WS65711; And the host channel is............?

It is displayed on the Mits diagnostics screen as 1:12-0.

By the established convention, this should indicate Cable, Digital Channel 12 (PBS). My local PBS digital is on OTA Chnl 11, QAM 83.1, virtual channel 12.1. The thing that puzzles me is that my HDD500's don't give me any indication that any of these have TVGOS data, although analog PBS OTA channel 12 does. Go figure?

#161 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 /forum/post/16298039

By the established convention, this should indicate Cable, Digital Channel 12 (PBS). My local PBS digital is on OTA Chnl 11, QAM 83.1, virtual channel 12.1. The thing that puzzles me is that my HDD500's don't give me any indication that any of these have TVGOS data, although analog PBS OTA channel 12 does. Go figure?

I just noticed my TVGOS is not configured correctly, so I'm trying to reset it somehow to start over at square 1.

Look at your TVGOS diag screens "Setup-Input Configuration->Input #'s and config" and "System-System Info->Video Source" and see if they reflect reality.

I had originally setup mine with ANT1 as Cable w/CableCard and ANT2 as OTA Antenna, but changed the physical setup after I returned my cablecard to Comcast and moved the OTA antenna to the ANT1 input.

When I looked at those TVGOS diag screens tonight, I noticed it still showed TVGOS configured for CableReady on ANT1 and OTA on ANT2.

Used to be with my device (Mits TV) I could perform the TVGOS System Reset code and it would start setup from scratch, but with the new Mits (v8.03) and TVGOS (v08.01.71) software, it doesn't. I'm trying to figure out what & how to reset it to start the TVGOS setup from scratch. There may be hope yet.

#162 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 /forum/post/16301744

I had originally setup mine with ANT1 as Cable w/CableCard and ANT2 as OTA Antenna, but changed the physical setup after I returned my cablecard to Comcast and moved the OTA antenna to the ANT1 input.

This is how mine is set up, and has been from the very start. Ant1/MAIN is cable and Ant2/AUX is antenna. I was going to hook them up just the opposite, until I saw in the manual that CableCard could only be used with Ant1/MAIN. I don't have CableCard, but I figured that down the road I might . . .

I will double check the screens you mentioned, but I probably won't get to do that until tomorrow (at least). The HDD500's are running me ragged right now . . .

#163 ·

Quote:

Which would tell me it's analog channel 12.
Quote:
Used to be with my device (Mits TV) I could perform the TVGOS System Reset code and it would start setup from scratch, but with the new Mits (v8.03) and TVGOS (v08.01.71) software, it doesn't. I'm trying to figure out what & how to reset it to start the TVGOS setup from scratch.

Those two 'reset' codes, warm and cold, I have never saw a difference between either. Both operate identically.

But, the "System reset" is another deal. Other than it 'crashing' (pardon the expression) the set with a full power off (no cool down), this is the only way that seems to wipe out everything including those two firmware/software update stages seen in the first diag. screen (other than using the TV service menu to reset the set which I perfer not to do).

Neither my Mits or that Sony DRV have updated since I lost my analog host. The best I have is correct time and the 1st level firmware/software upgrade shown in the diag. screen on the mits and the 2nd level on the Sony.

Neither show a 'host' channel.

On the Sony, the VBI test now fails where it passed before on the digital host (OTA). I am getting no VBI packets anymore.

#164 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/16303399

"It is displayed on the Mits diagnostics screen as 1:12-0. "

Which would tell me it's analog channel 12.

I believe you're quoting me?

1:0-12 = analog, based on all the info I've seen.

1:12-0 = digital, based on all the info I've seen.

My Sony's are using 0:0-12, which is OTA analog, based on all the info I've seen.

#166 ·
I thought about it after I posted and it dawned on me I was reversing thelocation of the zero.

I usually type it "43.0" to mean anlaog as opposed to 43.1.

My bad.

#167 ·
Anyway, I just finished a lengthly conversation with a local station engineer regarding this mess and he/we have come to some conclusions.

1. All of these guys that have claimed in the past 6 or 9 months to have a working TVGOS guide from their digital Host in their Sony DVR's were still receiving data from their analog host.

2. There appears to be a serious flaw (or at least a major 'quirk') in this "G* test" where it will give a VBI packet count on the Host's digital channel when in reality the count is from the analog channel due to the VCT channel numbers being the same: 0-17 vs 17.2 in my case. IOW's even though you tune to the digital Host, the system (TVGOS) will see these (incorrectly named) "VBI packets" from the analog Host instead.

3. I'm now doubtful that Sony firmware upgrade works. The Mits upgrade surely hasen't.

Why do I say this? I ran several G* tests a month ago on my analog host (which is now dark) and the digital host. I also ran tests on my distant analog host from Toronto. All tests returned a VBI count. The difference being the amount of packets receive within a specific time period (60 seconds). The analog counts were 3x what the digital counts were.

I now re-ran the test and I receive absolutely NO packet count from my digital Host where I did before using the Sony. There is no known problem as far as the station enginner knows, it is being run my Macrovision and some data service (I forgot the name). If there is a problem, they call him.

Take a look at these screen shots;

First is the digital Host last month, 60 packets in 60 seconds,

Second is the analog Host, 200+ packets in the same time period,

Third is my other analog Host, 185 packest in 60 seconds.

Now, take another look. All three show ATSC data and a pass grade. The 2nd and 3rd attachments are analog channels. How do you get a ATSC pass on a analog channel??

Also note, the 2nd image shows an actual channel number under the 'Statistics' line, not that "1023-65533" (whatever that is suppose to mean).

#168 ·
I choose to believe what I have done myself, and can see with my own eyeballs.

First off, the G*test on the Sony's is completely different now after the firmare upgrade. It flat out does not have the same effect on the machine that it did with the old firmware. Why? ... I dunno.

But in the past (with the old firmware) I could start with a channel lineup and grid, but NO LISTINGS. Then I could tune to my OTA CBS DIGITAL station, execute the G*test, LEAVE THE DVR TURNED ON, and come back a few hours later, and have EIGHT DAYS OF COMPLETE LISTINGS. This does not happen with the analog TVGOS broadcast.

The Sony only has ONE tuner. If you tune it to a digital station and leave it on it cannot go grab a signal from anywhere else.

#169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/16303924

Anyway, I just finished a lengthly conversation with a local station engineer regarding this mess and he/we have come to some conclusions.

1. All of these guys that have claimed in the past 6 or 9 months to have a working TVGOS guide from their digital Host in their Sony DVR's were still receiving data from their analog host.

[...]

videobruce,

Along with the info I mentioned over on spiffspace, here are some pictures for you to look at. You can compare them to your screens.

Picture 1 & 2 are the 2 Section Slicing screens, notice all zeros.

Picture 3 is the new ATSC Slicing screen.

If I had an analog host, the Section slicing screens would not be filled with zeros.

Mark

#170 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 /forum/post/16302258

This is how mine is set up, and has been from the very start. Ant1/MAIN is cable and Ant2/AUX is antenna. I was going to hook them up just the opposite, until I saw in the manual that CableCard could only be used with Ant1/MAIN. I don't have CableCard, but I figured that down the road I might . . .

I will double check the screens you mentioned, but I probably won't get to do that until tomorrow (at least). The HDD500's are running me ragged right now . . .

0:#-# is ANT1, 1:#-# is ANT2, see my previous post about looking at "System-System Info->Video Source"

#171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 /forum/post/16303473

1:12-0 = digital, based on all the info I've seen.

Exactly, your host is on ANT2, virtual digital channel 12. Since the data is carried in a separate PID from the brodcasts, it shows the 12-0 instead of 12-1 or 12-2 or 12-3, etc. It could also show up as 0-11 meaning physical (as opposed to virtual) channel 11 and that could be either analog or digital. You need to know what the physical and virtual channel numbers are. When you introduce cable and then cablecards, it gets even more wicked.

#172 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 /forum/post/16301744

I just noticed my TVGOS is not configured correctly, so I'm trying to reset it somehow to start over at square 1.

Look at your TVGOS diag screens "Setup-Input Configuration->Input #'s and config" and "System-System Info->Video Source" and see if they reflect reality.

When I looked at those TVGOS diag screens tonight, I noticed it still showed TVGOS configured for CableReady on ANT1 and OTA on ANT2.

Used to be with my device (Mits TV) I could perform the TVGOS System Reset code and it would start setup from scratch, but with the new Mits (v8.03) and TVGOS (v08.01.71) software, it doesn't. I'm trying to figure out what & how to reset it to start the TVGOS setup from scratch. There may be hope yet.

I could not get TVGOS to recognize my set's new configuration and did not want to reset my TV to factory defaults. I tried TVGOS Warm, Cold and System Resets (ouch, no cooldown). Turned off TVGOS from the TV set setup and back on. TV System Reset. Tried TVGOS zipcode 00000 and 99999. Stuck tongue out left side of mouth while standing on right foot and holding left ear, etc.

I gave up and setup my config as TVGOS thinks it is.
  • ANT1 - CableReady, only I have nothing connected to ANT1 now and did a channel scan for both cable and OTA from my Mits set and disabled it in NetCommand so I cannot even select ANT1 as an input
  • ANT2 - My rooftop OTA UHF antenna and did an OTA channel scan and disabled all analog channels in the Mits channel editor
  • Disabled TVGOS, shut down completely and unplugged overnight.
  • Enabled TVGOS (from the TV setup) on ANT2 as OTA with my correct zipcode.

TVGOS still thinks I have CableReady (cable w/CC) on ANT1 and OTA on ANT2. I will let it stew over that(/sleep on it) tonight and see if it gets any smarter tomorrow.

Pardon the poor images, but in a hurry to watch TiVo recordings...
Setup-Input Configuration

System-System-Info

Reception-VBI Stats

ATSC-ATSC Slicer

#173 ·
mabuttra; The 3rd pic, on the Sony those last lines PID 1&2 has a hex number 0x111 and 0x112 (I believe), on the Mits it was like yours, "NONE" for both.

Lines 2-5 all had counts with 4 & 5 updating. Also that "Dummy" line was updating. All others remain fixed at whatever number was shown.

bwall23; Using either the warm or cold resets does nothing. Only that System reset (crash) seems to fully dump the system data.

I just got a call from Mits relaying messages from Macdrovsion (they still call Gemstar) telling me about the clock settings being different based on the screen shots I e-mailed them a number of weeks ago. They want me to compare the clocks time with another "3rd party" device's clock. They also suggest bypassing any power strip filter and pluging the set in a wall outley directly.

Is Macrovision on some other planet or what? From the message, someone doesn't know what UTC or GMT is all about and thinks the clock setting comes over power lines.

#174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce /forum/post/16308299

I just got a call from Mits relaying messages from Macdrovsion (they still call Gemstar) telling me about the clock settings being different based on the screen shots I e-mailed them a number of weeks ago. They want me to compare the clocks time with another "3rd party" device's clock. They also suggest bypassing any power strip filter and pluging the set in a wall outley directly.

Is Macrovision on some other planet or what? From the message, someone doesn't know what UTC or GMT is all about and thinks the clock setting comes over power lines.

Just tell them the TRUTH. You're in an alternate parallel universe that uses Macrovision Savings Time

#175 ·

Quote:

Power strips and UPS's may alter/affect the electrical power cycles and thus lead to the internal clock not keeping accurate time. I can recall an old VCR's clock not keeping the proper time when connected to a UPS. It is best to humor them simply to have one less variable to deal with until everything is figured out.

#176 ·

Quote:

mabuttra; The 3rd pic, on the Sony those last lines PID 1&2 has a hex number 0x111 and 0x112 (I believe), on the Mits it was like yours, "NONE" for both.

Lines 2-5 all had counts with 4 & 5 updating. Also that "Dummy" line was updating. All others remain fixed at whatever number was shown.

[...]

videobruce, good eye
, I wondered if anyone would notice that my 2 PIDs say NONE. There is a reason for that. My DVR has an issue that nobody else seems to have. My guide data fills in fine, as long as I don't have a host channel set. Once the host channel sets, the nightly guide updates are 'No Listing'. The work around for this is to change my zip code at least once a week. This clears out my host channel, for a day or two, and allows my guide data to fill in completely, until my host channel sets again. Apparently, without a host channel, those pids switch from 0x numbers back to NONE. I just changed my zip code yesterday, so the data on that screen hasn't actually updated in 24 hours. I just wanted to show that I have had HostChan packets counting up, just not today.

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.