AVS Forum banner

TVGOS ( TV Guide On Screen ) Devices

273K views 1K replies 149 participants last post by  howie14 
#1 ·
This thread was started in an attempt to do the following;
  1. List CE devices with Gemstar /Macrovision /ROVI TVGOS
  2. Provide links to other threads on this Forum discussing that device with TVGOS
  3. List if the CE device is compatible with DTV (Digital) TVGOS transmissions - v8 (w/base 08.##.65 and up) and newer are

In order to gather that information and keep it updated in this post, keep this in mind...

When posting, please provide the following three pieces of information in your post;
  1. Manufacturer and Model of device you use it on (add revision/version/build, etc. if you know it matters).
  2. Links to threads on this forum discussing your device and TVGOS, or "don't know".
  3. TVGOS Version on your device, i.e. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 or "don't know".

If you can't find a thread on this forum covering your device and TVGOS, check back here as this post will get updated with any links that replies here provide.

Trip maintains the RabbitEars website listing confirmed TVGOS host channels here and an Unofficial Guide to TVGOS written by Lance G. here

If you don't know which version of TVGOS you have, here is some info that may help you to find it;

Quote:
Version 0 of the Guide does NOT have any diagnostics.

You can recognize a V0 device by its menu.

SURF NEXT SCAN SORT

Version 1 of the Guide does have diagnostics.

You can recognize a V1 device by its menu.

FEATURES NEXT SCAN SORT

Version 2 and higher of the Guide do have diagnostics.

You can recognize a V2 device by its menu.

GRID SORT SCHEDULE MESSAGES

For V1 Diagnostics, select FEATURES, then DIAGNOSTICS, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.

For V2 - V7 Diagnostics, go to MESSAGES, down arrow to highlight the TVG ID number, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852 (for some RCA devices, precede this code with a 2).

For V8 Diagnostics, Open TV Guide On Screen, highlight SETUP on the service bar, down arrow once, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.

For V9 Diagnostics - According to real world users: Open TV Guide On Screen, highlight SETUP on the service bar, down arrow once, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852. (But, according to Macrovision: Open TV Guide On Screen, highlight SETUP on the service bar, press ENTER, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.) Whatever works for you.

NOTE: For V9 Guide Daily, Bring up TV Guide, press 'Menu' button, highlight first choice, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.

Here's what my v8 device shows for versions. IGNORE THE 2 DIGIT NUMBER IN THE MIDDLE, i.e. 08.XX.44.
Quote:
08.02.44/08.06.44/00.00.00/00040005/64/0000
08.01.71/08.06.44/00.00.00/00040005/64/0000

Upper one is before my device got a firmware update from the mfg to update the base version, lower is current after the firmware update from mfg to update the base version. Version before first / is base version, after first / is patch version.

In both cases I have main patch 08.06.44, but the base version before is lower than the base version after, if you read it correctly and IGNORE the middle two numbers (XX) between the .'s on the base version! i.e. 08.ignore_this_part.44 is lower than 08.ignore_this_part.71. Think of it as 08.44 is old and 08.71 is newer. I know, it's counterintuitive to the way most developers version their software.
Code:
Code:
Understanding TVGOS firmware revisions

Devices are built with a base firmware revision which cannot be changed, except by a firmware update from your device's manuafacturer.

For example:

9.1.27/9.6.01
| | ||
| | 27 designates the minor release level.
| |
| 1 designates that this is a general release for all partners and devices. 
| 2 would designate a platform or model specific release, ex. All brand X DVRs.
|
9 is the major release level and designates what UI and level of functionality are included.

Patch levels

A patch would be displayed between the first and second slash.  For example:

9.1.27/9.6.01/
         |
         6 designates a main patch.  These usually include all patches released up to this time.
         5 would designate a setup patch.  These are short patches which fix one or two specific bugs.

Patches are downloaded over VBI just like lineup or listings.  
Main patches download three times a day during listing downloads.  
Setup patches are downloaded many times a day.  
Setup patches are critical, and they are shorter than main patches so they can 
be downloaded to units that may have trouble downloading the larger main patches.
If enough posters reply, you won't have to spend days searching the forum or reading threads to find the info you're looking for.

With so many devices using TVGOS, you will likely find relevant information in threads discussing other devices.

It could help answer questions you have, for example;
  • Is anyone else using the same device and experiencing the same issues with TVGOS?
  • Is my device's TVGOS compatible with digital TVGOS transmissions?
  • Is there an update from the manufacturer of my device to allow it to be compatible with digital TVGOS transmissions?
  • What CECB's convert digital TVGOS to Analog?
  • What non-CE CB's convert digital TVGOS to Analog?

ManufacturerModelTVGOS_Version (*0)Digital_compatibleForum_Links
ALLALLALLv08.xx.65 and upThe Magic 8 Ball Speaks Out On TVGOS & DTV!
ALLALLALLv08.xx.65 and upTV Guide OnScreen issues for all devices: TV's, STB's, DVD Recorders & DVR's
ALLALLALLv08.xx.65 and upTV Guide On Screen - post your info here!
DISH/EchostarDTVPal (*1)9YESDish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter
DISH/EchostarDTVPal+ (*1)9YESDish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter
DISH/EchostarTR40 (*1)9YESDish DTVPal / Echostar TR40 digital to analog converter
DISH/EchostarDTVPal DVR9YESThe Official AVS Dish DTVPal DVR Topic!
LG42LB1DR8v08.xx.65 and up?
LG50PX4DR8v08.xx.65 and up?
LG60PX4DR8v08.xx.65 and up?
LGLST-3410A7w/ DTVPalLG LST-3410A Review and Discussion
MitsubishiLT-462318v08.xx.65 and upOfficial Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread
MitsubishiLT-462449 (Guide Daily)Yes?
Mitsubishiv33/v34 chassis8v08.xx.65 and up (Netcommand v8.03)2007 Mitsubishi WD-XX73X and XX831 Owner's Thread
PanasonicDMR-E957w/ DTVPal?
PanasonicDMR-EH507w/ DTVPal?
PanasonicDMR-EH559DTVPal ?/NO ATSC TunerPanasonic DMR-EH55 User Review and Questions and Panasonic DMR-EH75V, TVGOS and Dish DTVPal+
PanasonicDMR-EH75V9DTVPal ?/NO ATSC TunerPanasonic DMR-EH55 User Review and Questions and Panasonic DMR-EH75V, TVGOS and Dish DTVPal+
PanasonicDMR-E85H7w/ DTVPal?
PanasonicDVDR'sSee Thread->See Thread->Panasonic DVD recorder US models, years produced and features
PioneerDVR-6338v08.xx.65 and upPioneer Disappearing EPG
SamsungHLR-56788v08.xx.65 and up?
SharpLC32D7U8v08.xx.65 and up?
SharpLC37D5U8v08.xx.65 and upThe Official Sharp 37-inch LCD Thread
SonyDHG-HDD2508v08.xx.65 and upSony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread
SonyDHG-HDD5008v08.xx.65 and upSony DHG-HDD250/500: Official Thread
SonyHX9007w/ DTVPalSony RDR-HX900: Will it work after Feb. 17 changeover to digital broadcast?
SonyKDL-40W41009YES?
SonyKDL-40XBR69YES?
SonyKDL-40Z41009YES?
SonyKDL-42V41009YES?
SonyKDL-46V41009YES?
SonyKDL-46W41009YES?
SonyKDL-46W41509YES?
SonyKDL-46XBR69YES?
SonyKDL-46XBR89YES?
SonyKDL-46Z41009YES?
SonyKDL-52V41009YES?
SonyKDL-52W41009YES?
SonyKDL-52XBR69YES?
SonyKDL-55XBR89YES?
SonyKDL-70XBR79YES?
Toshiba50HP958v08.xx.65 and upOfficial Toshiba 42HP95, 42HPX95, 50HP95 & 50HPX95 Thread
Toshiba50HPX958v08.xx.65 and upOfficial Toshiba 42HP95, 42HPX95, 50HP95 & 50HPX95 Thread
Toshiba62HM948v08.xx.65 and up?

NOTES:
  • (*0) - This is the base build TVGOS version in your device, so far only updateable by the device manufacturer vs. a TVGOS patch version that is transmitted with TVGOS data.
  • (*1) - The DISH/Echostar DTVPal, DTVPal+ and TR40 are not a TVGOS device in the sense they don't utilize TVGOS data to display TVGOS on an attached TV or Monitor (they use PSIP from each digital station for that). They will, however convert digital TVGOS data received OTA to analog TVGOS data (refer to your PAL/TR40 User Guide) needed by many older TVGOS devices (versions below 08.xx.65).

POST#2 in the thread will track Version Updates to POST#1

See less See more
#202 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf /forum/post/16337028

The Sony 250/500 DVR had the same base version, and Sony issued a firmware update a week ago that is supposed to alter the device so that digital TVGOS will work...I think some of he MV documentation indicates that a base version of 8.1.65 or later will be needed, and the new Sony firmware changed its base version to 8.1.70...

Our units had been getting digital data in an on-again off-again manner before the update, and it remains to be seen how the new firmware will work if there's NO analog around, because in most areas that won't occur until June (presumably)...

I will post more when I hear back from LG. Analog PBS and CBS are gone here.

#203 ·
Does anyone know how to perform the G* test on a Sharp Aquos TV?

#204 ·
1. Manufacturer and Model: Mitsubishi LT-46231

2. TVGOS Version: 08.02.44/08.06.44/00.00.00/00040005/64/0000

3. Links to Threads: Don't know

I have OTA antenna, and I am getting the TVGOS info from PBS analog and ran a G* test on this channel (see "PBS analog.jpg"). I then changed to the digital PBS channel, and ran the G* test (see "PBS digital.jpg"). I have a couple questions. Will the version (see TVGOS version.jpg) of TVGOS mentioned above work with a digital signal or only analog? How do you get a firmware upgrade?

#205 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttsthree /forum/post/16346430

1. Manufacturer and Model: Mitsubishi LT-46231

2. TVGOS Version: 08.02.44/08.06.44/00.00.00/00040005/64/0000

3. Links to Threads: Don't know

I have OTA antenna, and I am getting the TVGOS info from PBS analog and ran a G* test on this channel (see "PBS analog.jpg"). I then changed to the digital PBS channel, and ran the G* test (see "PBS digital.jpg"). I have a couple questions. Will the version (see TVGOS version.jpg) of TVGOS mentioned above work with a digital signal or only analog? How do you get a firmware upgrade?

Thanks for the info, added to page 1. Your TVGOS version is not ATSC (DTV) compatible according to Mitsubishi, Gemstar and Macrovision. To get a firmware update, contact Mitsubishi support and ask for a firmware update to support digital TVGOS on your set.

#206 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj9999 /forum/post/16346331

Does anyone know how to perform the G* test on a Sharp Aquos TV?

If it's TVGOS version 8, try this from my first post "For V8 Diagnostics, Open TV Guide On Screen, highlight SETUP on the service bar, down arrow once, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.", but use diagnostic code 971 397 135 instead (spaces are only used here to make it easier to read the 9 digit code which is entered from the devices remote by pressing the number keys in order, one after the other)

#207 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 /forum/post/16347264

If it's TVGOS version 8, try this from my first post "For V8 Diagnostics, Open TV Guide On Screen, highlight SETUP on the service bar, down arrow once, enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.", but use diagnostic code 971 397 135 instead (spaces are only used here to make it easier to read the 9 digit code which is entered from the devices remote by pressing the number keys in order, one after the other)

Thanks. And, yeah, it's a V8.

#208 ·

Quote:
enter the diagnostic code of 753 159 852.", but use diagnostic code 971 397 135 instead

I think that part needs a re-write.

puttsthree; Good screen shots. I'm glad someone finally posted these since I still have failed to get answers to questions regarding this apparent poorly named "VBI' portion of this test screen. Your screen shot was like mine, but with half the number of packets. With the shot of your digital host, I see you are receiving a packet count (half the amount I received when I did receive TVGOS packets) that they still call VBI packets, but it is giving you a "Fail".

Attached represents a before and after seneraio of my situation. I'm somewhat convinced my 'host' is NOT properly passing TVGOS data. The 1st shot is before the Sony firmware patch/upgrade and while the analog host was up. The 2nd shot is after the upgrade and after my Host's analog station went dark.

I don't know if it is the Sony firmware upgrade or the lack of the analog host that made the difference, or both.

BTW, disregard the different TVGOS version number of the 2nd attachment, the pic was off of my Mits DLP and just used for convenience. The result is currently the same on either.

#209 ·
Let me understand the ridiculus, redundent procedure that is necesary to force TVGOS to display listings from a digital channel. Of course, this is assuming you do have a digital channel that is supplying TVGOS data and also assuming it is sending data correctly.

1. After the device (TV, DVR, etc.) has been reset, you set it on the host channel for a period of time (overnight for example), so it will aquire the first firmware upgrade to be loaded,

2. It then aquires the 2nd firmware upgrade over the next time period (how ever long it will be). Durning this time the device is left on, unlike when the device is just updating just the program listing data.

3. The 3rd stage is the actual program data download time which is over a period of a few days (in addition of the previous time). This is done when the device is off.

#210 ·
Something like that, but what I have found is the time from no patch to the 2nd (current) patch is much faster now.

I really believe the data from my host is not complete or is just corrupted so I can't confirm any of that for sure. I'm using a analog host from Toronto for the time being.

#211 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 /forum/post/16347202

Thanks for the info, added to page 1. Your TVGOS version is not ATSC (DTV) compatible according to Mitsubishi, Gemstar and Macrovision. To get a firmware update, contact Mitsubishi support and ask for a firmware update to support digital TVGOS on your set.

Not sure if this is the information you want for item Number 3 (Link to Threads) or not, but here is a link for the Mitsubishi LT-46231. I will let you decide if this is correct.

Official Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=mitsubishi

#212 ·
So I guess the real TVGOS support page no longer exists?

I had previously signed up (last summer/fall) and could get answers to questions - which they would even keep a record of, which was very convenient, but that page no longer seems to exist

And the only phone number I could find is for corporate customers...

Of course, I question whether the answers they gave were completely true when there was the support page...but now they just refer you to whoever made your unit, and they don't have answers either (I just tried LG with respect to my 3410a high-def receiver, and LG doesn't even PRETEND to know anything...they just PRETEND they will have an answer when they find out what the "government is going to do"...)

#213 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf /forum/post/16352455

I had previously signed up (last summer/fall) and could get answers to questions - which they would even keep a record of, which was very convenient, but that page no longer seems to exist

Of course, I question whether the answers they gave were completely true when there was the support page...but now they just refer you to whoever made your unit, and they don't have answers either (I just tried LG with respect to my 3410a high-def receiver, and LG doesn't even PRETEND to know anything...they just PRETEND they will have an answer when they find out what the "government is going to do"...)

Try this:
http://tvgos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tv...r/acct_new.php

I just checked and this link still works! They have been helping me via email (well, sort of
) for a couple months now. They also returned my call when I left a message at the "corporate" number. Still have yet to actually speak to a human but email communication has been somewhat consistent.

Robin

#215 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin robin /forum/post/16352578

Try this:
http://tvgos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tv...r/acct_new.php

I just checked and this link still works! They have been helping me via email (well, sort of
) for a couple months now. They also returned my call when I left a message at the "corporate" number. Still have yet to actually speak to a human but email communication has been somewhat consistent.

Robin

Thanks, but...

? do you have to fill this out each time you ask a question?

I tried to back up on the http address, but I can't seem to get to where you just enter your pre-existing user ID...strange

how about you???

#216 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf /forum/post/16352455

I ran into the same thing. I went to macrovision's page to submit a detailed explanation of my problem, and there was no longer a place to do that. Was it a coincidence that this happened about the same time as Sony released their new firmware? The firmware that macrovision told every one they must have? Only problem was that it didn't fix the problem. So now macrovision's problem reporting page is gone. How convenient!

Mark

#217 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabuttra /forum/post/16352969

I ran into the same thing. I went to macrovision's page to submit a detailed explanation of my problem, and there was no longer a place to do that. Was it a coincidence that this happened about the same time as Sony released their new firmware? The firmware that macrovision told every one they must have? Only problem was that it didn't fix the problem. So now macrovision's problem reporting page is gone. How convenient!

Mark

Since the Sony 250 is only ONE of many TVGOS units, I doubt their apparently screwing up their website has little to do with the Sony firmware...

#218 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 /forum/post/16337666

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 /forum/post/16307962

I could not get TVGOS to recognize my set's new configuration and did not want to reset my TV to factory defaults. I tried TVGOS Warm, Cold and System Resets (ouch, no cooldown). Turned off TVGOS from the TV set setup and back on. TV System Reset. Tried TVGOS zipcode 00000 and 99999. Stuck tongue out left side of mouth while standing on right foot and holding left ear, etc.

I gave up and setup my config as TVGOS thinks it is.

ANT1 - CableReady, only I have nothing connected to ANT1 now and did a channel scan for both cable and OTA from my Mits set and disabled it in NetCommand so I cannot even select ANT1 as an input

ANT2 - My rooftop OTA UHF antenna and did an OTA channel scan and disabled all analog channels in the Mits channel editor

Disabled TVGOS, shut down completely and unplugged overnight.

Enabled TVGOS (from the TV setup) on ANT2 as OTA with my correct zipcode.

TVGOS still thinks I have CableReady (cable w/CC) on ANT1 and OTA on ANT2. I will let it stew over that(/sleep on it) tonight and see if it gets any smarter tomorrow.

4 days and nothing much to report... TVGOS has actually added a digital channel (2.1 & 2.2) I don't receive to my sets channel editor and is off trying to tune in cable on ANT1, even though nothing is attached to the ANT1 input. About 250 zipcode packets now, but no timezome packets yet. I'm going to stop reporting updates on this here until I get my timezone packet and a lineup choice.

O.K. I said I wouldn't followup on my post until I got my timezone packet and a lineup...

I'm not sure if it's because of what I did or because a station I receive started transmitting packets needed?

Well, I did get a (1) timezone packet and now have my timezone set correctly, but still no patch updates or host channel or grid or lineup yet. But something changed here, since I finally got the timezone packet.

I've noticed that TVGOS 08.01.71 has more control over my device than I do and can re-scan inputs, add channels, access inputs I disabled, etc. So I know it's desperate and is doing everything it can to get data.

THE ONLY THING I changed recently (04/25/09) is to re-enable the ANT1 input on my device (Mitsubishi WD-57831) through NetCommand and tell my device that it's OTA. I did this because I saw TVGOS was trying to scan the ANT1 input for cable channels and knew it would take forever to scan an unconnected input as cable w/channels up to 135?, so I figured if I told it the input was OTA instead of cable it would waste much less time trying to find OTA channels 2-69 on a connector with nothing hooked up. So I had my device start an OTA channel scan on ANT1 and cancelled it immediately. Then did a TVGOS System Reset (04/25/09) to start it re-thinking. Previously (as explained above) I had told it to scan ANT1 as cable.

I still have nothing physically connected to the ANT1 input.

#220 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttsthree /forum/post/16349636

Not sure if this is the information you want for item Number 3 (Link to Threads) or not, but here is a link for the Mitsubishi LT-46231. I will let you decide if this is correct.

Official Mitsubishi LT-46131 & LT-46231 (46" 1080p LCD) Owner / Discussion Thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=mitsubishi

Thanks, added. I just add what the device owners like you tell me, since I don't own those devices or follow those threads.

#221 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/16352624

bwall23, Here's a link to my thread in the DVD recorders forum. The OP lists all Panasonic DVDRs and I note which ones had TVGOS. I've also listed links for the most posted to threads for each particular model. Note I don't list the TVGOS version, only if a particular model has TVGOS.

Jeff
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1134909

You want me to add a table entry in my first post that looks like this (already did)?

ManufacturerModelTVGOS_Version (*0)Digital_compatibleForum_Links
PanasonicDVDR'sSee Thread->See Thread->Panasonic DVD recorder US models, years produced and features

P.S. Nice work on your thread!

#222 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avnstf /forum/post/16352728

Thanks, but...

? do you have to fill this out each time you ask a question?

I tried to back up on the http address, but I can't seem to get to where you just enter your pre-existing user ID...strange

how about you???

avnstf:

I still have the last email they sent to me. That email has the link to my existing Macrovision ticket. This is the only way I have been able to find my ticket on their website. I just tried logging out to try and find the link to existing tickets but all I can get to is the "Generic Company Support Site" which does link you to their existing database of questions:

http://tvgos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tv...wmcF9wYWdlPTE*

This link lets you create a new account: http://www.macrovision.com/support/8...link_id=topnav

UPDATE!!!
WAIT!!! I think I may have found the login page!!!This MAY be what you are looking for:
??
http://tvgos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/tv...ge=myq_ilp.php

Hope that is it!!!

Robin

#223 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall23 /forum/post/16355094

??? I was referencing my first post on how to access the diag screens for different versions of TVGOS and just added (use the G* Test 9 digit code) at this point instead of the Enter Diagnostics Screen 9 digit code.

Look again what I quoted. You gave two different sets of numbers to enter.

#224 ·
I received an answer from the chief engineer of our now digital only host stating Macrovision remotely checked their signal and said all was ok. That doesn't answer why I use to receive a packet count and now I don't.

Just how can one completely, properly and thoroughly check a off air signal hundreds of miles away?

#226 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.