AVS Forum banner

**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread

386K views 2K replies 386 participants last post by  edreifuss 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd forward the fact that Yamaha just release all new RX-V_65 AV Receiver series
RX-V665 on Yamaha website

RX-V665 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver

Fully compatible with HD audio and video. Featuring HD audio decoding, HDMI (4 in/ 1 out), 1080p video upscaling. Pure Direct, YPAO, Cinema DSP 3D and custom installation features.

MAIN FEATURES
  • Advanced Features
  • New SCENE buttons (BD/DVD, TV, CD and Radio) - quick and simple to use
  • YPAO sound optimization for automatic speaker setup
  • iPod compatibility via optional YDS-11 Universal Dock
  • Bluetooth (A2DP) compatibility with optional Yamaha Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver YBA-10
  • On-screen display
  • Front panel mini jack for connecting portable audio player
  • iPod song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel and on-screen display
  • HDMI CEC functionality
  • Initial Volume Setting and Maximum Volume Setting
  • New preset remote unit
  • High Picture Quality
  • Analog video upscaling to full HD 1080p
  • 1080p-compatible HDMI (4 in/1 out)
  • Supports Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, 120Hz/24Hz Refresh Rates and Auto Lip-Sync compensation
  • High Sound Quality
  • 7-channel 630W powerful surround sound (90W x 7)
  • Decoders for HD audio formats: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
  • Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels
  • Direct Mode for high quality sound reproduction
  • Surround Realism
  • CINEMA DSP (17 DSP programs) with Adaptive DSP Level
  • Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)
  • Compressed Music Enhancer
  • SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP
  • Audio Delay for adjusting Lip-Sync (0-240ms)
  • Versatile Zone Control
  • Zone 2 on/off and control on front panel
  • Remote input/output
  • Programmable +12V trigger output

Lots of great features on the unit would like to know what you all think about it...just pulled all the stuff from the Yamaha website today

So hopefully someone finds the answers to these questions...regarding the RX-V665

1. Does it pass BTB and WTW over HDMI?

2. Does it Matrix DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA?

3. Does it allow you to pick the crossover point before running the auto calibration?

4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the power supply!

5. Most importantly does it display DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA in large letters across the front display when bitstreaming those formats from a Blu-ray player?

6. Does it display volume information over the OSD?

7. Is the OSD an overlay?

See less See more
#252 ·
none that I can see... the 4 HDMI inputs seems to be the only advantage of the new model.

the CNet review makes some comparisons of 665 vs 663 in terms of features, connections, functionality, etc. check those out and it might help...

EDIT: HDMI passthrough to the TV (with receiver in standby) is another feature I thought of which is on the newer model... if that's important to you...

#253 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/16439345

none that I can see... the 4 HDMI inputs seems to be the only advantage of the new model.

the CNet review makes some comparisons of 665 vs 663 in terms of features, connections, functionality, etc. check those out and it might help...

EDIT: HDMI passthrough to the TV (with receiver in standby) is another feature I thought of which is on the newer model... if that's important to you...

I am getting RX-V663 for about $10 less than RX-V665. So the difference is negligible. You think its better with RX-V663 then as it has a powerful amp.

#254 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoStrings /forum/post/16431470

Yes...Go into the options setting...Go down to Extended Surround and choose PLIIx Movie setting. This will give you the 7.1 matrix DTS-MA...It will also work with Dolby True HD. IF you hit the info button on the remote and go to audio decoder it will read what decoder is bitstreamed and will also tell you if PLIIx is activated.

LoStrings have you done this or just read it in the manual? I just want to make sure the 665 actually will do it. I was surprised the 663 didn't so better safe than sorry!!

#255 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon summit /forum/post/16444943

LoStrings have you done this or just read it in the manual? I just want to make sure the 665 actually will do it. I was surprised the 663 didn't so better safe than sorry!!

You can also permanently assign a different decoder to each HDMI input. The Extended Surround method would be a global setting. But I don't yet have the 665. Also awaiting word on if it really works.

#256 ·

Quote:

LoStrings have you done this or just read it in the manual? I just want to make sure the 665 actually will do it.

I'm skeptical because the 665 manual specifically states (on page 25) that you can only use straight decode mode for HD codecs. Straight means no PLIIx (but then again manuals have been wrong before).

#257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 /forum/post/16445381

I'm skeptical because the 665 manual specifically states (on page 25) that you can only use straight decode mode for HD codecs. Straight means no PLIIx (but then again manuals have been wrong before).

Of course, if you decode the lossless streams in your player and send PCM, no problemo.

#258 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/16444973

You can also permanently assign a different decoder to each HDMI input. The Extended Surround method would be a global setting. But I don't yet have the 665. Also awaiting word on if it really works.

I am also waiting on confirmation about this. Once this is answered it will make me decide to buy or look for another that will do this.

#259 ·

Quote:

Yes, I have done this and it works fantastic. Like I said before...I like the sound (Dolby True HD, DTS Master Audio) pure with no other processing. Although, I do like to fool around with some of the processed effects with dolby digital. This is a great little unit that offers alot of flexability.

#260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoStrings /forum/post/16449775

Yes, I have done this and it works fantastic. Like I said before...I like the sound (Dolby True HD, DTS Master Audio) pure with no other processing. Although, I do like to fool around with some of the processed effects with dolby digital. This is a great little unit that offers alot of flexability.

I have an S350 blu-ray player which I bitstream with...will it work for me?

#261 ·
I am also thinking about buying the 665, I have no HT at this time. Was looking for some opinions for some speakers, Planning on 5.1...would also really need wireless rears,

currently have a Directv HD DVR, Pioneer DVD and Wii. Planning on a PS3 for BR. I don't need to blow the walls off but would like to hear some good surround to go with my sammy 61A750 DLP

#264 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 /forum/post/16449953

I have an S350 blu-ray player which I bitstream with...will it work for me?

I believe that any player that will bitstream to the reciever will work this way. I use a Samsung BDP-1400 and when bitstreaming it shows the HD codac on the on screen display and if I'm using Dolby Pllx it shows that also. (To see this information you have to use the info button and set it to Audio Decoder). My Toshiba A3 on the other hand will not bitsream so it only shows PCM on the screen. Here are a couple of pics to show what the screen shows when you are using Dolby Digital PLLx with DTS Master. With Dolby Digital PLLx it shows the 7.1 channels...It will only show 5.1 when just using DTS HD Master Audio. (If the movie is originally 5.1).

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...s/DSC04104.jpg
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...s/DSC04103.jpg

#265 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIII /forum/post/16450433

I am also thinking about buying the 665, I have no HT at this time. Was looking for some opinions for some speakers, Planning on 5.1...would also really need wireless rears,

currently have a Directv HD DVR, Pioneer DVD and Wii. Planning on a PS3 for BR. I don't need to blow the walls off but would like to hear some good surround to go with my sammy 61A750 DLP

Energy Take Classic 5.1 setup. GREAT little speakers that can be found for around $399 online from many places. Great for both movies and music too. If you google them you will see lots of positive reviews.

#266 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoStrings /forum/post/16450924

Here are a couple of pics to show what the screen shows when you are using Dolby Digital PLLx with DTS Master. With Dolby Digital PLLx it shows the 7.1 channels...It will only show 5.1 when just using DTS HD Master Audio. (If the movie is originally 5.1).

The picture also shows that the little lights are now speaker indicators and not input channel indicators which they are on previous models. Maybe they got asked too many times why all 7.1 lights were not showing!

#267 ·
You can find the 665 at many web stores for well under 380 shipped, this AVR seems to be a light weight for powering speakers , but is ok for a preamp, the 765 may be a better choice if real 20 to 20k power is needed. Overall I think the 665 is a plain jane , I hope the new mid-late 09 units have more of that " I REALLY WANT BUY THIS " feeling, If you know what I mean.

If it was $200 I would think it was priced right, but @ 350 I feel I'm being taken for a sucker, I know I'm right cause the price is falling fast. I've seen it at BB and they look and feel very CHEAP, nothing like the 663... BB doesn't even put the 665 in its sound room so why would I !!!! I was going to buy a 663, but waited for the 665 , now I'm sorry I waited, the 663 @ $340 sure looked sweet now that its gone. Sorry if I sound like I'm blowing off steam, but yamaha I feel did me wrong, I'm now looking at denon , onkyo , pioneer ,,, now that yamaha is OFF my list of what I may WANT to buy....

Its better then nothing , but I'm still going to look for better, I just have to spend more now..

#269 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/16453289

BB doesn't even put the 665 in its sound room so why would I !!!!

Funny you should say that. I was in the magnolia section of a Best Buy a few hours ago and they had all their speakers and sub powered by the 665 and it sounded awesome. I was talking to them about the skimping on power and they agreed that Yamaha blew on that. They were totally honest about every drawback on the receiver that we all are concerned about but I can tell you that what I heard I liked very much.

#270 ·
I know that this AVR doesn't have a ton of power, but does it really matter for the type of speakers most of us will be using with it? I know if I could afford full range speakers, I wouldn't be spending only $450 on an AVR. For my Def Tech ProCinema speakers, there is more than enough power.

I am coming from a Denon 1909, which many people feel is a better AVR. Honestly, with the easier set up and better OSD, so far I prefer the Yamaha. Also, I think the YAPO sounds better than Audsssey. I felt that the Audssey bloated the midrange and made voices sound to bassy.

#271 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urlacher5454 /forum/post/16455764

Funny you should say that. I was in the magnolia section of a Best Buy a few hours ago and they had all their speakers and sub powered by the 665 and it sounded awesome. I was talking to them about the skimping on power and they agreed that Yamaha blew on that. They were totally honest about every drawback on the receiver that we all are concerned about but I can tell you that what I heard I liked very much.

I have 3 BB near me and none have them set up, just on the shelf next to $6.99 replacement remotes.. Many under powered AVR sound ok for movies cause its just a burst of power is needed at times . For music you need true full range rms power for clear clean sound at loud levels with power hungry speakers. I'm sure the 765 and 1065 will do better job if thet ever show up for sale..

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...t/rxv1065.html

#272 ·
I see quite a few post about $375.00 deals on the 665. But reading Yamaha's own web site, they state the following:

DEALER LOCATOR

Yamaha sells its Home Audio products only through a network of high quality, specially authorized dealers. The Yamaha Limited Warranty applies only to products purchased from authorized dealers.

or visit Yamaha's Authorized Internet Retailers:

Abt Electronics

Audio Advisor

Audioholics

B&H Photo

Best Buy

Best Price Audio Video

Crutchfield

J & R Music

Your Electronic Warehouse

Fry's

One Call

Diamond Case Designs

Electronic Expo

6th Avenue Electronics

Stereo Advantage

Tiger Direct

Vann's Electronics

Dell.com

Amazon.com

Buy.com

New Egg

Peach Direct

ANTOnline

Every one of these sites, that I have checked, sell the 665 for $499.99, Is this true about no Warranty when buying from these discounted price online stores. The units say brand new, are they b-stock or what.

Also has anyone purchased an aftermarket Warranty on one of these units purchased at discount?

#273 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIII /forum/post/16479413

I see quite a few post about $375.00 deals on the 665. But reading Yamaha's own web site, they state the following:

Every one of these sites, that I have checked, sell the 665 for $499.99, Is this true about no warantee when buying from these discounted price online stores. The units say brand new, are they b-stock or what.

Also has anyone purchased an aftermarket warantee on one of these units purchased at discount?

With the main ones, 6thAve and J&R you need to call and ask for an AVS discount.

Forget the added warranty, if it doesn't break in the initial warranty, it probably won't. Any of those listed sellers provide a full factory warranty, (but then so does B-stock in most cases)

#276 ·
Thanks for all your help guys....pulled the trigger this morning 375.00 at 6ave...

ok I went crazy and also bought the following

AA.................Energy C-100 PR............108.88......2..........$217.76

AA.................Energy C-C100 CENTER...149.99......1..........$149.99

BLT................Sanus 31" stands............32.24.......1...........$32.24

Provantage......Bic f12 sub...................187.43.......1.........$187.43

6ave...............Yamaha 665.................375.00.......1.........$375.00

............................................................ .....................$962.42

cant wait for all of my goodies to arive to go with my sammy 61a750 dlp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.