AVS Forum banner

Samsung PN**B450 Picture Settings

Tags
samsung
308K views 2K replies 181 participants last post by  vincentfam 
#1 ·
The following was taken from a different thread as I couldn't understand why everyone prefers Cinema Mode instead of Standard Mode when Standard looks much better to me personally.

Question, why do most recommend using the different Cinema/Movie modes? The colors look much more accurate on my PN42B450 on Standard than they do on Cinema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zspec1 /forum/post/16315664

Most tv sets cinema mode are setup closer to the d65k standard. I recommend you watch it in cinema mode for a couple of days, then switch to standard and tell us if you think it still looks better in standard mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb /forum/post/16315899

yes, movie mode is the way to go. at first i wasn't so sure, but it is definitely the best. especially if you're watching in very low light conditions.

First off, what is d65k standard? I have said it before that I am new to all of this and I do not plan on having any professional calibration done so the only thing I have to go by is my eyes. Hopefully there are enough PN**B450 owners here to contribute to this. If you can all share your picture settings and maybe give a brief description of your setup and viewing style (cable stb/satellite, dvd/Blu-ray, Standard Mode/Cinema, day/night, standard definition/hd and such)

I am interested to read some replies and see what everyone prefers. Thanks

#27 ·
I've been watching everything in movie mode, with temp of normal for about a week.

Was messing with some HD trailers tonight and started switching back and forth between my slightly custom Movie mode and Standard mode. I would pause at scenes with skin tone that would be easy to tell and scenes with color.

By FAR, Standard has better color. I find it hard to believe that anyone could see it differently. Movie mode seems to have the same color, but it's dimmed or something. With Standard you get the "pop" of color that I think is actually intended by the "filmmakers" or CGI people, whoever you want to point at.

So I think from this point forth I'll be sticking with Standard until I try some calibrating.

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 /forum/post/16361567

Mode- Movie

Cell light-5

Contrast-90

Brightness-50

Sharpness-0

Color-50

Tint-G50/R50

Advanced

Black tone- off

Dynamic-off

Gamma+1

Color space-auto

White valence

R offset 21

G offset 25

B offset 19

R gain 23

G gain 25

B gain 30

Flesh tone- 0

Edge enhancement- off

Picture options

Color tone- warm2

Size- 16:9

Digital NR- auto

HDMI black level- low

Film mode- auto

My 450B is not professionly calibrated. I do have a Pioneer Elite 151 and Sammy 650 LCD that is professionaly calibrated. These settings I use on my B is as close as I can get them to the other two. The blacks on the B are no where close but the color is pretty close to both the Pioneer and the other Sammy.

Where'd you get the White Valence options from?

I suggest you set the Dynamic Contrast to Medium. It'll help your blacks. I noticed with it off, my dark scenes were much more gray.

#31 ·
Just got my PN42B450 mounted today and IMO games look like crap compared to an LCD. Although HDTV seems to have more detail and contrast, it seems to be gone while gaming. Everything just looks flat, and text (in CODWaW Menu's for example) is a lot grainier than LCD. Is there any fix for this, or is this the trade off for having 1024 x 768 vs 1366 x 768 on the bigger model. Any suggested settings for gaming?

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam94z28 /forum/post/16414243

Just got my PN42B450 mounted today and IMO games look like crap compared to an LCD. Although HDTV seems to have more detail and contrast, it seems to be gone while gaming. Everything just looks flat, and text (in CODWaW Menu's for example) is a lot grainier than LCD. Is there any fix for this, or is this the trade off for having 1024 x 768 vs 1366 x 768 on the bigger model. Any suggested settings for gaming?

are you using a computer or a game console to game on?

#33 ·
I have both Xbox360 and PS3. I wouldn't run a PC from my plasma without a 1 minute screensaver due to the risk of IR. Although I played TDM on COD5 for 3 hours last night with contrast set somewhat low, and experienced no IR.

On Xbox360, using a gamestop brand (probably really madcatz) component cable everything is flat. There is a major lack of detail. Pixels look big, and text fonts are grainy with component. After trying my Mad Catz HDMI adapter on Xbox360, and HDMI on PS3 I can safely say everything looks a lot better. Still not quite LCD sharpness but definitely playable.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam94z28 /forum/post/16420387

I have both Xbox360 and PS3. I wouldn't run a PC from my plasma without a 1 minute screensaver due to the risk of IR. Although I played TDM on COD5 for 3 hours last night with contrast set somewhat low, and experienced no IR.

On Xbox360, using a gamestop brand (probably really madcatz) component cable everything is flat. There is a major lack of detail. Pixels look big, and text fonts are grainy with component. After trying my Mad Catz HDMI adapter on Xbox360, and HDMI on PS3 I can safely say everything looks a lot better. Still not quite LCD sharpness but definitely playable.

You set the consoles to the proper output resolution in settings menu right? On the 360 you shouldn't notice too much of a difference between hdmi and component. Can't speak for the ps3.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmannc /forum/post/16420554

You set the consoles to the proper output resolution in settings menu right? On the 360 you shouldn't notice too much of a difference between hdmi and component. Can't speak for the ps3.

I'm assuming you mean 720p? If so, then yes, both are set to 720p. On the 360, with component, it almost looks like theres stuff moving behind the screen. It could just be a crappy quality component cable (noise). Mad Catz has had some hits, and some big misses when it comes to accessories.

Also interesting to note. I'm having audio dropouts playing xbox 360 over HDMI. It's through the above mentioned Mad Catz adapter, as my Xbox is an older model that has no onboard HDMI. I never had this problem on my Sony LCD, with the same adapter, and I don't experience it on PS3. The cable is a new, 10FT cable from monoprice. I guess it could be to blame. I haven't tried it on the PS3 yet but will definitely do that.

#36 ·
Alright. I picked up the DVE Blu Ray disc for like $15 bucks and tried to go through the calibration. I'm a novice to this so it seemed a little confusing. It wasn't easy to have the guy talk, and then try to calibrate to what he said. Sometimes his explanation seemed more complicated than they needed to be. Either way.

I tried to calibrate both Standard and Movie at the same time, to see what would happen. Standard still looks better than Movie. Movie gives everything a yellowish tint it seems. Whites aren't white, etc.

I'm not home so I'm going off memory for my settings. I'll fix anything that needs to be later.

Couple notes:

No Reciever

My PS3 runs HDMI to my tv, that's for games/movies.

My Cable runs HDMI to my tv, some SD watching, mostly HD channels.

I didn't really understand the contrast test. I couldn't get the top to be clipped as he stated. I always saw individual steps of white to the edge even at 100. 95 was the Standard mode default.

The color test confused me as well. I wasn't sure how to use the filters (call me an idiot, k). I used their test image, held the filter up to my eye and tried to tell if the Blue on the tv blended with the color filter. It seemed too... soo, k.

The Gamma setting I'm confused on as well. After I calibrated I threw in a movie and kept going back and forth from -2 to 0 and -2 looked a little better, but there was nothing on the calib. disc to help me understand what it should be set at.

For what it's worth it was a very basic disc it seemed, but maybe that's its intention.

Picture Settings

Mode: Standard

Cell Light: 10

Contrast: 95 - I didn't understand the contrast calib. I tried to put it all the way up until the image was clipped, but it never happened.

Brightness: 43

Sharpness: 0 - The DVE test image didn't seem to be affected when I changed this.

Color: 50

Tint (G/R): G50/R50

Advanced Settings

Black Tone: Off

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Gamma: 0

Color Space: Native

White Balance: -----

Flesh Tone: 0

Edge Enhancement: Off

Picture Options

Color Tone: Normal

Size: 16:9

Digital NR: Off

HDMI Black Level: Low

Film Mode: Off

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam94z28 /forum/post/16414243

I just got this TV last night, and i plugged my PC into via HDMI. The windows background / fonts / and fine detailed things looked grainy and i was a little upset. Then i played an HD video and it looked fantastic. I was puzzled, i tried world of warcraft, that looked good too.

I unhooked the HDMI cable and put my desktop PC back in its room. Then i plugged a laptop into the PN42B450 via VGA cable and the background / font/ everything was SUPER crisp! i tried multiple resolutions over HDMI but they all seemed noisy/grainy on font and such. over VGA is really crisp.

I think this requires more troubleshooting, an HDMI cable should have equal if not better display IMHO. Im so happy with my "out of the box" settings i dont plan on tinkering with the TV until this winter when im stuck inside and bored.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons252 /forum/post/16461570

I just got this TV last night, and i plugged my PC into via HDMI. The windows background / fonts / and fine detailed things looked grainy and i was a little upset. Then i played an HD video and it looked fantastic. I was puzzled, i tried world of warcraft, that looked good too.

I unhooked the HDMI cable and put my desktop PC back in its room. Then i plugged a laptop into the PN42B450 via VGA cable and the background / font/ everything was SUPER crisp! i tried multiple resolutions over HDMI but they all seemed noisy/grainy on font and such. over VGA is really crisp.

I think this requires more troubleshooting, an HDMI cable should have equal if not better display IMHO. Im so happy with my "out of the box" settings i dont plan on tinkering with the TV until this winter when im stuck inside and bored.

I haven't tried this with mine because well... not really needed. What resolutions were you using? I might try this tonight just for kicks.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows /forum/post/16461594

I haven't tried this with mine because well... not really needed. What resolutions were you using? I might try this tonight just for kicks.

I tried several resolutions over HDMI and while it shrunk/stretched my picture it did nothing for picture quality. I played HD videos at 1280x720 over hdmi which looked great. just the font/text looked grainy/noisey.

Over the VGA cable i tried multiple resolutions and every single one was crisp and clear. I think the HDMI PC issues should be something we can fix with video driver tweaks?

far as the guy with an XBOX i dont know...

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons252 /forum/post/16468433

I tried several resolutions over HDMI and while it shrunk/stretched my picture it did nothing for picture quality. I played HD videos at 1280x720 over hdmi which looked great. just the font/text looked grainy/noisey.

Over the VGA cable i tried multiple resolutions and every single one was crisp and clear. I think the HDMI PC issues should be something we can fix with video driver tweaks?

far as the guy with an XBOX i dont know...

Damn I didn't try it last night, forgot sorry.

But I think I overlooked a small detail. You're going from your pc through HDMI to the tv. I'm not really sure how text is supposed to look. Most of the time I think people use VGA or DVI. I'd do some searching to see if you can find any comparisons.

What video card do you having in the computer with the HDMI/out?

#41 ·
My PC has two hdmi, two dvi, two vga outs. It has an onboard ATI 3300 with its own VGA,HDMI,DVI, then my video card an ATI 4650 has a VGA,DVI,HDMI out.

I prefer the HDMI because its suppose to be the highest quality while also passing sound reducing the amount of cabling required. My panasonic plasma did excellent with HDMI from the same PC. This samsung though only looks good with VGA cable. I mean the picture is really crisp with VGA while its somewhat irritating to look at using HDMI.

#47 ·
I'll be working on it in a little bit. Not sure if I'll get the whole thing done tonight. We got home late, and we still want to watch "Taken" on the projector tonight also.

The first calibration will be with a DVD 480P source through component video. After that, I'll try to get my PS3 unhooked from my Epson 1080UB projector and hook it up to the Samsung to calibrate the higher resolutions thru the HDMI input. The PS3 calibration might take a day or two before I get a chance to mess with it. I'll post up the full settings when I'm done.

Dan

#49 ·
EDIT, These settings are outdated now. Please refer to my post #362 for a better setting. 8-31-09 The link is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post17091636

Here they are, as of 11-28-09 for convenience sake: On my set, these settings are FANTASTIC!

Movie Mode, Warm 2 setting

Cell Light: 10

Contrast: 85

Brightness: 50 (this can vary from 48 to 52 depending on what input or source you are using)

Sharpness: 20 for standard definition content. I use 5 for HD content (Blu-Ray, or High Def Channels)

Color: 38

Tint: G42/R58

Advanced: Everything off or zero except:

Gamma: 0 (or -1 if you like)

Color Space: Auto

White Balance:

Red Offset: 21

Green Offset: 25

Blue Offset: 15

Red Gain: 25

Green Gain: 0

Blue Gain: 27

My meter was not measuring correctly for the settings I listed in this post...

Dan

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan /forum/post/16500987

Here's what I have so far. I fully expect these settings to change as I measure the effect of all the odd settings like black tone and dynamic contrast. Keep in mind that my B450 has about 10 hours on it total. These settings gave a VERY good greyscale.

Cell - 10

Contrast - 75

Brightness - 52

Sharpness - 20

Color - 40

Tint - 0

Advanced:

Everything off or zero

Colorspace set to auto (I haven't checked into how this impacts calibration yet)

Gamma +1

Red Offset: 15

Green Offset: 25

Blue Offset: 8

Red Gain: 25

Green Gain 0

Blue Gain: 16

This gives an average gamma of 2.4 and 29 ft lamberts of brightness. I calibrate in a completely dark room. I'm interested to see how this looks with bright light. It might look slightly dim with these settings, as I normally shoot for 32 ft lamberts, and this was 28-29. Looking at the picture now, the skintones are fantastic, and colors seem natural. The settings may change as the set ages another 100 hours or so... I'll update this post as I get more familiar with the set and the results.

Dan

Dan, appreciate the time with the calibration and posting of settings.

Does "Tint - 0" mean G50/R50?

I thought gamma was supposed to be about 2.2?

I'm curious to how you reached the 20 sharpness. Using the DVE test I saw no impact when I changed the slider.

No impact as in the image didn't change at all to my eyes.

Thanks

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows /forum/post/16501040

Dan, appreciate the time with the calibration and posting of settings.

Does "Tint - 0" mean G50/R50?

I thought gamma was supposed to be about 2.2?

I'm curious to how you reached the 20 sharpness. Using the DVE test I saw impact when I changed the slider.

No impact as in the image didn't change at all to my eyes.

Thanks

I updated my post a little now.

Yes, "Tint - 0" mean G50/R50

I left sharpness at the default. I didn't get a chance to mess with sharpness all that much, but I saw edge enhancement all the way down to zero sharpness, so I need to play around with it and get a better understanding of where sharpness needs to be set.

Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.