AVS Forum banner

**Offical** Yamaha RX-V665 AV Receiver thread

386K views 2K replies 386 participants last post by  edreifuss 
#1 ·
Just thought I'd forward the fact that Yamaha just release all new RX-V_65 AV Receiver series
RX-V665 on Yamaha website

RX-V665 7.2-Channel Digital Home Theater Receiver

Fully compatible with HD audio and video. Featuring HD audio decoding, HDMI (4 in/ 1 out), 1080p video upscaling. Pure Direct, YPAO, Cinema DSP 3D and custom installation features.

MAIN FEATURES
  • Advanced Features
  • New SCENE buttons (BD/DVD, TV, CD and Radio) - quick and simple to use
  • YPAO sound optimization for automatic speaker setup
  • iPod compatibility via optional YDS-11 Universal Dock
  • Bluetooth (A2DP) compatibility with optional Yamaha Bluetooth® Wireless Audio Receiver YBA-10
  • On-screen display
  • Front panel mini jack for connecting portable audio player
  • iPod song titles displayed in English and Western European languages on the front panel and on-screen display
  • HDMI CEC functionality
  • Initial Volume Setting and Maximum Volume Setting
  • New preset remote unit
  • High Picture Quality
  • Analog video upscaling to full HD 1080p
  • 1080p-compatible HDMI (4 in/1 out)
  • Supports Deep Color (30/36 bit), x.v.Color, 120Hz/24Hz Refresh Rates and Auto Lip-Sync compensation
  • High Sound Quality
  • 7-channel 630W powerful surround sound (90W x 7)
  • Decoders for HD audio formats: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio
  • Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-bit DACs for all channels
  • Direct Mode for high quality sound reproduction
  • Surround Realism
  • CINEMA DSP (17 DSP programs) with Adaptive DSP Level
  • Adaptive DRC (Dynamic Range Control)
  • Compressed Music Enhancer
  • SILENT CINEMA and Virtual CINEMA DSP
  • Audio Delay for adjusting Lip-Sync (0-240ms)
  • Versatile Zone Control
  • Zone 2 on/off and control on front panel
  • Remote input/output
  • Programmable +12V trigger output

Lots of great features on the unit would like to know what you all think about it...just pulled all the stuff from the Yamaha website today

So hopefully someone finds the answers to these questions...regarding the RX-V665

1. Does it pass BTB and WTW over HDMI?

2. Does it Matrix DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA?

3. Does it allow you to pick the crossover point before running the auto calibration?

4. What did they take out to reduce the weight by 8 pounds? Hopefully not the power supply!

5. Most importantly does it display DD-TrueHD and DTS-MA in large letters across the front display when bitstreaming those formats from a Blu-ray player?

6. Does it display volume information over the OSD?

7. Is the OSD an overlay?

See less See more
#277 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfighter369 /forum/post/16432658

Did I miss something in the manual?

Got the 665 today. Have an Xbox 360 with component in the AV1 spot with the optical connection. Have a Wii with component cables in AV2. Now the delimma... where do the audio cables go? AV2 only has a coaxial input attached to it? Is it possible to assign audio 1 or 2 to the AV2 input? Or is my only option to go back to composite video for the Wii?

Yes this can be done, that is what the "Multi" option is for. You can assign one of the composite audio inputs to work with one of the component video inputs. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly how to set this up, and I can't refresh my memory right now because I'm at work. However I had my Wii set up in this fashion and it worked fine. Only drawback I saw with this was you only have the option to do this once, not too huge cause most everything is HDMI now anyway and at least the option is there. I'll see if I can dig through the front display when I get home and help you out a little better.

On a different note. Has anyone else had the problem of no HDMI output. I've had this receiver for just over a month and it worked great I was more than pleased (not quite as happy now as before). Then one day out of the blue, while using my Xbox 360, the screen just went blank, popped back up for a couple minutes and went blank, never to be seen again. I've tested all my HDMI cables by going straight from equipment to monitor and they all work fine. It will even output the component inputs over the component out. When I look the the Signal Info I see all information for sound and even HDMI video input but when I get to HDMI output all I get is "--- ----", no errors, nothing. Reset everything I could reset, right now I've had it sitting unplugged for three days hoping by some stretch that that will do a deeper reset, I'll test it when I get home. Anyone else have any ideas? Next option is to mail it back to the site I bought it from, or send it in for warranty repair. Both of which I would rather try to not do after having it for less than two months. TIA

#278 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddnezz /forum/post/16505741

Yes this can be done, that is what the "Multi" option is for. You can assign one of the composite audio inputs to work with one of the component video inputs.

It's the only option you have for a source with component video and analog audio, but it's a less than ideal solution because there is no processing performed on the multi-channel analog inputs. So you only get L/R speakers playing, and no bass will be directed to your subwoofer. Better than nothing, but a cheap analog to digital audio converter would probably give better results.

#279 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 /forum/post/16506027

It's the only option you have for a source with component video and analog audio, but it's a less than ideal solution because there is no processing performed on the multi-channel analog inputs. So you only get L/R speakers playing, and no bass will be directed to your subwoofer. Better than nothing, but a cheap analog to digital audio converter would probably give better results.

I believe a GeFen Adapter should work.

#283 ·
Stupid question time:

Are any 665 owners having issues with poor amplification from their units?

I recently bought a 565 from Amazon, to go with my new Kuro. I upgraded from a HTR 5240 (!!!). I am returning the 565 to Amazon because the amplification is subpar; comparing volume levels using my SPL meter show a significant handicap with the 90Wx7 565 versus my old 65Wx5 5240.

Basically, I have to crank it to -10 db in my tiny living room to get decent sound during movies. It maxes out at +16 db so there is not much room left. The fault is mine as I should have read the reviews of the 565 noting that the amplification is anemic.

Are people having similar amp problems with the 665? I am a die hard Yammy A/V receiver fan (as well as their motorcycles) but at this point I am ready to throw up my hands and buy an Onkyo 607. I'd love to return the 565 and buy a 665 instead.

Thanks!

#285 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockshift /forum/post/16507828

Stupid question time:

Are any 665 owners having issues with poor amplification from their units?

I recently bought a 565 from Amazon, to go with my new Kuro. I upgraded from a HTR 5240 (!!!). I am returning the 565 to Amazon because the amplification is subpar; comparing volume levels using my SPL meter show a significant handicap with the 90Wx7 565 versus my old 65Wx5 5240.

Basically, I have to crank it to -10 db in my tiny living room to get decent sound during movies. It maxes out at +16 db so there is not much room left. The fault is mine as I should have read the reviews of the 565 noting that the amplification is anemic.

Are people having similar amp problems with the 665? I am a die hard Yammy A/V receiver fan (as well as their motorcycles) but at this point I am ready to throw up my hands and buy an Onkyo 607. I'd love to return the 565 and buy a 665 instead.

Thanks!

The 665 amp is the SAME as the 565 , the 665 has very usefull pre-amp outputs and a 12v trigger.. The 607 has more power ..You can wait for yamaha 765 or 1065 but the prices will be higher , bang-for-the-buck and value is something that yamaha leftout of their new AVRs this year. To bad , well there is always one hot brand that wants new customers..

607 only does 1080i , but I wouldn't use the upscaling in any AVR under a grand anyway...

#286 ·
I have the 665 and it drives my Energy RC-mini's very well but when I try to drive my old Celestion SL700's which are not efficient speakers, the 665 isn't up to the task (not even close).

I've come to the conclusion that spending a lot of money on a receiver that has enough power and quality in the amp section to give you really good sound with most any speaker is a waste of money. Why? Because home theater is evolving and as technology changes and features are added, you'll probably need to or want to upgrade your receiver every so often (for the processing features). And not only will features be added, but existing processing technology will likely continue to improve.

My plan is to buy a quality amp, either 2-channel or 5-channel, and use it in conjunction with my receiver and when it comes time to upgrade, I can get away with something much less expensive and probably have better quality sound.

#287 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavitz /forum/post/16508468

I have the 665 and it drives my Energy RC-mini's very well but when I try to drive my old Celestion SL700's which are not efficient speakers, the 665 isn't up to the task (not even close).

I've come to the conclusion that spending a lot of money on a receiver that has enough power and quality in the amp section to give you really good sound with most any speaker is a waste of money. Why? Because home theater is evolving and as technology changes and features are added, you'll probably need to or want to upgrade your receiver every so often (for the processing features). And not only will features be added, but existing processing technology will likely continue to improve.

My plan is to buy a quality amp, either 2-channel or 5-channel, and use it in conjunction with my receiver and when it comes time to upgrade, I can get away with something much less expensive and probably have better quality sound.

This will work if the pre-outs supply enough voltage to properly drive the amp you want. When you buy you have to make sure it has this capability. I've been recommending to people to wait before purchasing these lower end model Yammies for a professional review and test reports. Hopefully the 665 will pass these test but I wouldn't bet on it. It just doesn't make sense that Yamaha chopped the hell out of their "spring" offerings in the amp section to upgrade other sections under the notion that buyers will be buying amps anyway. The 765 may do this, but its still a wait and see game.

#288 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockshift /forum/post/16507828

...Basically, I have to crank it to -10 db in my tiny living room to get decent sound during movies. It maxes out at +16 db so there is not much room left.

I don't know much about the 565 amp, but you shouldn't conclude anything from that volume readout. Your 565 is probably calibrated very differently from your old 5240. All amps will have the same volume readout for a given SPL if they are calibrated the same.

There's a lot of room between -10 and +16dB (a factor of almost 400 in power), although I'm sure the 565 or 665 won't be able to get near +16 without clipping. -10dB is about what you'll be using for movies with any properly calibrated amp (that's fairly loud, but still 10dB below reference level).

#289 ·
Anyone else hear or read about this? Supposedly there will be a firmware coming out to allow the 2 audio analogs to be reassigned. Below is the link. Can someone tell me if this is the norm for most receivers in this price range, or usually can more audio inputs be reassigned such as digital ones? I still do not understand why Yamaha did not add this in the beginning.

http://twitter.com/YamahaRobbie

#291 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda /forum/post/16509581

Anyone else hear or read about this? Supposedly there will be a firmware coming out to allow the 2 audio analogs to be reassigned. Below is the link. Can someone tell me if this is the norm for most receivers in this price range, or usually can more audio inputs be reassigned such as digital ones? I still do not understand why Yamaha did not add this in the beginning.

http://twitter.com/YamahaRobbie

How would you upgrade anything on this line. There is no USB or RS232 ports on the 665 and down? When looking at the specs I see no way to do it. I may have overlooked something, but I couldn't figure out a way to do any type of updates. It may have to be sent back to Yamaha to do it. I couldn't get that link to load.

#292 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16509636

How would you upgrade anything on this line. There is no USB or RS232 ports on the 665 and down? When looking at the specs I see no way to do it. I may have overlooked something, but I couldn't figure out a way to do any type of updates. It may have to be sent back to Yamaha to do it. I couldn't get that link to load.

Link loads for me. I thought I read somewhere that you could update firmware by downloading it to a cd and playing it through a cd player... or something to that extent! On most receivers can you reassign digital audio inputs?

#293 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda /forum/post/16509675

Link loads for me. I thought I read somewhere that you could update firmware by downloading it to a cd and playing it through a cd player... or something to that extent! On most receivers can you reassign digital audio inputs?

I've upgraded HD-DVD players this way but thats changing the firmware in itself. I may be wrong but I don't beleive you could upgrade a receiver by this method. And yes on a lot of receivers you can re-assign the digital inputs. This is one of the nits in the newer Yamaha offerings. I'm not trying to sway anyone from purchasing a Yamaha receiver, because I don't beleive there's a bigger Yamaha fan on this site than me. My problem with their new offerings so far is the anorexic amp and power supply output along with the assignable input things. I'd wait for those test from someone that does a thorough test on all of these receivers before purchasing one. My problem is also what seems to be Yamaha's step back in models to match last years. The 775 to do what the 663 already does, but with more HDMI connections. HDMI boards are cheap to implement. I did get that page to finally load but theres really not much info there.

#295 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16509801

I've upgraded HD-DVD players this way but thats changing the firmware in itself. I may be wrong but I don't beleive you could upgrade a receiver by this method. And yes on a lot of receivers you can re-assign the digital inputs. This is one of the nits in the newer Yamaha offerings. I'm not trying to sway anyone from purchasing a Yamaha receiver, because I don't beleive there's a bigger Yamaha fan on this site than me. My problem with their new offerings so far is the anorexic amp and power supply output along with the assignable input things. I'd wait for those test from someone that does a thorough test on all of these receivers before purchasing one. My problem is also what seems to be Yamaha's step back in models to match last years. The 775 to do what the 663 already does, but with more HDMI connections. HDMI boards are cheap to implement. I did get that page to finally load but theres really not much info there.

It seems as though everyone wishes the 663 was just updated with 2 additional hdmi's. I really wanted to buy a Yamaha this year, but have decided to either go with one of the new denon's or the onkyo 607... The twitter page claims that it is a yamaha employee...

#297 ·
Thanks for all the responses to my question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 /forum/post/16508771

-10dB is about what you'll be using for movies with any properly calibrated amp (that's fairly loud, but still 10dB below reference level).

I have a mild case of tinnitus so maybe that explains my perception that the 565 isn't putting out the power that it should.

Perhaps I should invest in a good amp (assuming my 565 has pre-outs), as I am generally happy with the 565 aside from the (perceived) power issue.

#298 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda /forum/post/16509898

It seems as though everyone wishes the 663 was just updated with 2 additional hdmi's. I really wanted to buy a Yamaha this year, but have decided to either go with one of the new denon's or the onkyo 607... The twitter page claims that it is a yamaha employee...

Here is an excellent article to read to note the difference between the 663 vs. 665. Hopefully they will still test out as good receivers. Scroll down to see comparison chart between the two.

http://www.audioholics.com/education...nology/trading

#299 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16509966

Thank you for the info. Useful in the future. And does that player need to be one that does iso files?

No, the firmware is released as a WAV file and you have to burn an audio CD. The player must be able to output audio CDs at 44.1kHz with no modifications to the PCM data, and you have to use an optical or digital coax connection.

#300 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriktsemaj99 /forum/post/16510407

No, the firmware is released as a WAV file and you have to burn an audio CD. The player must be able to output audio CDs at 44.1kHz with no modifications to the PCM data, and you have to use an optical or digital coax connection.

Thank you for the information. I've owned many Yamaha receivers but fortunately none have had to have any updates. Useful to know this feature is available.

#301 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouda /forum/post/16509587

Just curious for future use, what is their name your price promo?

They put up a page where you can enter a product number and price. They will either accept your offer and send you an e-mail with a link, counter offer, or reject your offer. I saw it on a promotional e-mail they sent me, but I don't think it is running anymore. You could try calling them and working something out, but I have no experience with this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.