AVS Forum banner

Turner Classic Movies (TCM) in HDTV!

258K views 2K replies 201 participants last post by  swSteve 
#1 ·
Exclusive to AVS.

As confirmed by representatives from Turner, TCM HD is now up and available for distribution.

Update:

Initial carriage, at a minimum, will be on Cablevision, with Comcast and TWC signed up. Expect to find TCM HD on your multichannel provider as they expand their HD offerings.

A big tip of the AVS hat to member Tybee, for first posting the breaking news.

#27 ·
there'd be no reason to think it isn't legit... the m8b has spoken...

time to start bombarding verizon with emails...

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tybee /forum/post/16592912

Those of you questioning whether this is legit, it is. I've had confirmation from three separate sources within TCM.

One of my sources passes this along as well: "I've seen widescreen movies on it today and it's jaw-dropping beautiful."

Get excited, folks.

If it's from an inside source, then this means we're being leaked the news ahead of the announcement and this is indeed exciting!

We've dubbed onto DVD an extensive collection of films from Turner Classic Movies. The old black and white prints are quite nice and clean but I can already see myself re-recording at least those in color (downconvered 1080i recordings are still much sharper and more colorful than standard definition).

Because of it's high standards, am sure TCM will retain the 4x3 aspect ratios of those pre-cinemascope era films which means black bars on the left and right of our 16x9 screens unless uniformly stretched by the viewer (we prefer the wide-zoom feature which cannot be used on 1080i content). Still, glad to have that problem to deal with.

#34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 /forum/post/16593574

They show their wide screen movies in OAR in SD, why would they change for HD? They will do movies the right way, no stretching. I think we can trust them. Now when is it available On Directv???

After IFC, BET (who recently stopped stretching) and others I trust no one until I see a week or two of programming with no stretching. Let's not forget that TCM is a Warner property. They have a mixed record with CNN vs. TNT. NBA TV is mixed on one channel. Hopefully, Dish decides to add this channel soon.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 /forum/post/16593650

They could not stretch it....yet it still not be OAR though.

You are correct. Anything is possible. But rather than wild speculation, why not just wait until the channel appears and then you'll know for sure.

Contrary to what others believe and enjoy, wild speculation just isn't an enjoyable pastime.

#37 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h /forum/post/16591846

Great. Cablevision. Not an option where I am (Dish, DirecTV, Comcast, Uverse soon).

Okay, I am whining.

But the lack of details on the Satellite chats -- which get wind of additions weeks or months in advance -- leaves me fearful that the wait for an option in my locale might be months (at best) away.

Oh wait yes again I am whining.

----

Yes, we all agree. You're whining.

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysam /forum/post/16593969

You are correct. Anything is possible. But rather than wild speculation, why not just wait until the channel appears and then you'll know for sure.

Contrary to what others believe and enjoy, wild speculation just isn't an enjoyable pastime.

Not speculation....tybee said he talked to "sources"....so was trying to find out if he knows if they will be doing OAR.

Edit: Now Priv Ryan is OAR....good sign.

#40 ·
Ken, this is great news!
Turner Classic Movies HD has been my most wanted channel for a number of years.

The only dilemma I face is that I dropped Time Warner Cable for pure over the air HD back in October. I realized that I was paying entirely too much for only a few HD channels that I couldn't get for free over the air. TWC dropped HDnet and HDnet Movies and it seemed like I never would feel tempted to go back to cable or satellite.

Now less than a month after TWC's unfortunate decision to drop HDnet Movies, I find out that some cable and satellite providers will offer TCM HD. Do I wait for the new HD DirecTivo and TCM on D*; hope that TWC adds back HDnet Movies and adds TCM HD; or pray that TCM offers a streaming version of their HD channel for something reasonable like $10 - $12 per month so I can just add this one channel that I really want to see without buying a bunch of channels that I don't want?

Either way, it's a good dilemma to wonder how best to add TCM HD to my viewing choices.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/16586323

Exclusive to AVS.

As confirmed by representatives from Turner, TCM HD is now up and available for distribution.

Update:

Initial carriage, at a minimum, will be on Cablevision. Expect to find TCM HD on your multichannel provider as they expand their HD offerings.

TCM HD and TruTV HD were seen in the wild on C-Band several weeks ago they are now encrypted for distribution. Nice to see them signing contracts now.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 /forum/post/16594033

Not speculation....tybee said he talked to "sources"....so was trying to find out if he knows if they will be doing OAR.

Edit: Now Priv Ryan is OAR....good sign.

Since TCM currently retains the original aspect ratio for most films would there be a reason why they wouldn't continue the practice with the HD feed in lieu of cropping them to fit a 16x9 screen (like HBO-HD, etc.)? I recall just a few widescreen films shown only in 16x9 (one being"Voyage of the Damned" but that originally premiered in 4x3 and at least changed to 16x9).

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Dubin /forum/post/16597430

Since TCM currently retains the original aspect ratio for most films would there be a reason why they wouldn't continue the practice with the HD....

The concern is due to the corporate policy that Turner applies to it's other HD channels, TBS & TNT.

Having said that, I see no reason whatsoever to think TCM HD will do anything except present films in their OAR. We shall see.

The sky is not falling.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaded Dogfood /forum/post/16594663

This is the best news since the parting of the Red Sea.

Unless you were Pharoah.

-or-

"Other than that, Mrs. Pharoah, how did you enjoy your evening?"

I am SERIOUSLY ready for some classics, like, oh I don't know, the Ten Commandments, on TCM-HD!!!! Good suggestion, Shaded!

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Patterson /forum/post/16598196

Unless you were Pharoah.

-or-

"Other than that, Pharoah, how did you enjoy your evening?"

I am SERIOUSLY ready for some classics, like, oh I don't know, the Ten Commandments, on TCM-HD!!!! Good suggestion, Shaded!

This is humorous, they are showing Ben Hur right now, and it is super widescreen.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.