AVS Forum banner

Has anyone tried the new Monoprice screens?

129K views 264 replies 125 participants last post by  gatorkeith 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the new Monoprice screens? The prices for the electric models are really low. They are listed under new products on their site and they are mat white 1x1 screens. I wonder if they will do for screens what they did for cables and switches, keep the price low for quality products.

#178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDel /forum/post/14539893

I just mounted it to a 2" piece of oak to be safe. It looks pretty good; however, I wish I had a solution for the screen power cord. It really sticks out...

I have no idea if its up to code, but how about trying shrink wrap tubing. It would be black and slip over the cord and then you would heat it up and it would shrink to fit the cord. You would need to find some in bulk so it would be the length of the cord.

Warning. I've never tried this, but it might work. You could test a small section.

#180 ·
I currently am set up for a 100" image, but am considering buying a 135" screen in case I decide to move to another room which will accommodate a 135" image/screen.

In the meantime, I would project the 100" image on the 135" screen.

Is this use technically acceptable? What should be done with the excess screen size exceding the 100" image? e.g., Mask it with drapes?

#182 ·
so is the general conscientious that this screen is a good buy for the money? i went with the 108" screen and never got to use it since i had a chimney fire... Now that i'm redoing my living room i wish i would have gotten a bigger one (it wouldn't have fit before due to a 300 gallon fish tank in the way).

So is this considered a quality screen for the money?

#184 ·
they just raised the price on the 108in screen, it use to be $183 now its $224 YIKES!

#186 ·
I just purchased a new home and really have no area dedicated for my home theatre setup. I have a really open kitchen layout into my living area. Against the far wall it has built in cabinetry and a fire place. It looks really good and I really dont want to take away from the cabinetry by putting a fixed frame or pulldown/tripod in front. I was curious if these screens will allow for ceiling mounted. I was thinking of cutting an area of sheetrock out, putting some u type bolts in the ceiling, sheetrocking the area that was cut out to look somewhat of a nook in the ceiling and mount the projector screen recessed in the ceiling so when its not in use it wouldn't take away from the cabinetry.

Also, I would have to do the same to the projector, cut sheetrock and create a recessed area so the projector doesnt stick out too much.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#187 ·
Silvershark,

If the orientation of your Ceiling Joists runs length-wise to your Screen wall, you can do what your considering.

Build a Plywood enclosure to the dimensions needed to enclose the screen assembly, with at least 2" on all "sides". If it (...the enclosure...) can be nailed or screwed to the Joist closest to the "Wall", of course that would be best.

Also, be sure it's placed 1/2" recessed (flush with the Joist) so you can easily wrap the edge of the Enclosure, giving it a "joint-less' appearance.

The "Side" and "Forward" edges of the Enclosure will need a "Nailer" ledge for the adjoining edges of Drywall to rest/be attached to.

Making "edge-less" corners isn't that difficult, but it does lend a smoothness and simplicity to what would otherwise be looked at as being "A Box" . The same idea for your "PJ Shadow Box" will leave you with a very clean look.

However, be advised that if you have not already settled on a PJ, you must take into account;

*the distance from the screen to the PJ's lens

*Desired Screen Size

*PJ's Luminosity (Lumens)

*Ambient Light Viewing circumstances.

*PJ ventilation needs/requirements

Some newer 1080p PJs both intake and exhaust air from the front. THAT is amount your most important considerations if you plan to shelf mount or recess the PJ in any manner or degree.

Your thoughts about "blending in" the Theater aspect into your living area are ones I've likewise shared for some time. I do of course cherish a well thought out dedicated Theater, but as more and more varied Folk catch the fever for the "Jetson Wall Vision" approach to daily viewing in Family Rooms / Morning Rooms, interacting with the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) on every possible Cosmetic / Aesthetic front only makes the satisfaction index for all parties all the more higher.

Much of what you are planning is beyond the scope of this particular"Screens" Forum, and the "Powers That Be" prefer that details on "Construction and DIY-ism" be directed to the appropriate Forums.

Home Theater Construction is one. However if you stop by on DIY Screens, you'll find some who are using the less expensive Electric Mfg Screens for paint palettes to ramp up performance. And the degree of DIY-ism on that Forum also will lend itself to you other related aspects.

I'll watch for you there....or PM me for more details/advice if you'd prefer.

#188 ·
Thought I'd add my 2 cents... Just installed the 108" screen to replace an older DaLite manual screen. I can not compare this to one of the "expensive" screens out there >$1500, but I will say that the improvement over the DaLite is incredible.

I'm using a JVC RS2 projector, fed by Toshiba A35, PCH A-100 and Dish HD-DVR satellite and OTA reception.

I can not imagine spending more $$ on a screen would make any noticible improvement at this point. In addition the power screen is programmed into my remote to drop when the PJ comes on and retract when the PJ goes off which is very cool.

Hope this helps anyone out there looking for a great value on a electric screen.

#190 ·
How can you make the screen go up and down automatically when the projector powers on and off? I haven't started finishing the basement yet, room is 22 long by 18 wide, little less than 8 high unfinished. Was wondering how the 135 would pair up with the mits hc5500 (back of area of the room will be a bar, only first 2/3 will be viewing area)...Price shipped to me is 400 for the 135 and am wondering if this is the best bang for the buck..(was previously considering a framed fixed screen from HT store at about 700, more than I wanted to spend).

#191 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvershark /forum/post/15498483

I just purchased a new home and really have no area dedicated for my home theatre setup. I have a really open kitchen layout into my living area. Against the far wall it has built in cabinetry and a fire place. It looks really good and I really dont want to take away from the cabinetry by putting a fixed frame or pulldown/tripod in front. I was curious if these screens will allow for ceiling mounted. I was thinking of cutting an area of sheetrock out, putting some u type bolts in the ceiling, sheetrocking the area that was cut out to look somewhat of a nook in the ceiling and mount the projector screen recessed in the ceiling so when its not in use it wouldn't take away from the cabinetry.

Also, I would have to do the same to the projector, cut sheetrock and create a recessed area so the projector doesnt stick out too much.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Couldn't agree with what MississippiMan said anymore. If your looking for a few more ideas, check out my build thread (signature). I have a very similar situation as you describe. I'll have to update the pictures in the thread as I have done considerable work without maintaining the thread as of late.

#193 ·
I have bought lots of products from Monoprice and have yet to see any of their products that are sub par. Looking at pics of the optional RF remote though I cant help but think they are coming from the same source as Focupix, Elite or one of the other import products. All their remotes look too similar to be coincidence.

I am in the market for a new screen as I will be running an Optoma HD70 in 16:9 format. Will be retiring my 4:3 Dalite high power screen and need to do more testing with different formats to see what my ideal screen size would be.

I too am interested in what Monoprice screen owners are saying especially those that have had them for awhile.

#195 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahoguy /forum/post/15946955

Bump.

Any more feedback about the quality of this screen at Monoprice?

It is a great BUDGET screen. The images can be washed out during the daytime, but this is NOT the fault of the screen per se. I don't have the best control over ambient lighting (sunny living room, etc) and my DLP projector is not the best either. However, I was already aware of this, so I am happy with my Monoprice screen. We do most of our TV watching at night anyway.

I liked how it can be ceiling mounted, though we wall-mounted ours. We also ran a cable from the screen, through the attic, and to the PJ to utilize the PJ's 12V screen trigger to make the screen roll down when we turn the PJ on, and roll up when the PJ is turned off.

#196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by timflavor /forum/post/16622330

These screens are priced killer, but can any 1 who has purchased one tell me how close can you get to screen before the screen's texture is visible with and without an image showing.

I have 20/20 and negligible astigmatism. I would have to step closer than 3 ft before I can begin to distinguish the weave of the screen. Hope this helps.

#197 ·
Any suggestions for a PJ for these screens? I was leaning toward the 100". PJ would be approx. 13'-14', against the back wall. This will be in the living room, which opens to my dining room; however, the wife and I are looking into the blackout curtains (like the ones by eclipse to help with ambient light) for the windows as well as to create a faux wall between the living and dining rooms.

Also, what's the length on the screens? My center channal sits about 2' off the floor so I'd have about 6-6.5 feet to play with to the ceiling (see the pictures I just posted up in the plasma/flat screen theater gallery for what my room is like).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.