AVS Forum banner
669K views 5K replies 580 participants last post by  Amjsim 
#1 ·
I had questions and someone sugested I start this thread, I hope I dont step on any toes, I'm not a Moderator or Special member or anything. I'm researching my new reciever to get and am very intereseted in the 4310, mainly because of the new stuff like ABT. I just wish I could get it for the 3808's price. I would like to go with the 4310 AVR and the new denon 1610 blu-ray, but I was wondering if it would be just as good to go with the 3808 AVR and Denon 2010 Blu-ray?, That way I could get the ABT video and have good sound as well. Does anyone know if going this route would still look and sound as good as if going the 4310/1610 route? I mean have the 2010 ABT do the video procesing and the 3808 do the sound. thanks

Rob

#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 /forum/post/16620794

The brand new AVR-4310 is stripped down a bid compared with the 4308.

The - points:

* stripped W-LAN connection (Wi-Fi)

No more Wifi

* No more DAB Audio

* Video Outputs Component 1

AVR-4308A has 2 + Zone 2

* Digital Outputs optical 1

AVR-4308A got 2 pices

* coaxial went from 4 to 3 pices incl front.

- No more gold plated connectors on the back of the unit

* The hight and depth dimension went Lower

Dimensions (width x height x depth)

AVR-4310 434x171x414

AVR-4308A 434x195x455

the + points:

The new price went from 2600 back to 1999 US Dollar and Euro's

All with all i was looking forwart to the new coming AVR-4310

(I do have the 4306)

Now i don't know.

Why is the AVR-4310 Back on the same new price as the 4306 did came on the market and does they left so mutch out compared to the 4308 and does they do a minnor upgrade over the left components compared to the AVR-4308.

I have mixed feeling about this brand new Denon AVR-4310.

I'm shure it's all good quality but, for me upgrading from a AVR-4306 to a AVR-4310 does not have so mutch improofments anymore exept better scaller and Audessy and HD decoders.

I wish the AVR-4310 was a upgraded 4308 and not stripped down.

now i wait for the 4312 model and hope denon does learn from this if they read this.

Regard,

Dutchman01

update:

i see now that the AVR-4308 is the replacement for the AVR-3808

The new comer for the AVR-4306/4308 will be the AVR-4810

To bad the new prices are again higher.

4306 --> 1999

4308 --> 2699

4810 --> 2999

dammmm. wich i was rich.

I have the 4308. If I was going to buy again I wouldn't get the 4310 as it would actually be a step down and I would go with the 4810, but price...ouch!!

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/16622425

I am starting to think that if the 4310 allowed a direct digital from an ipod that Denon would be more clear in the description of this function in the manual. Also I would think Denon would be pushing the fact that they offer a direct digital path with the 4310 as the Wadia 170i is the only device out that allows this.

Bill

Bill I have the same thought as you. And I'm far less optimistic. I think this connection is not direct digital path. Wadia paid a high price for the license (I'm sure it's proprietary), that's why it costs so much.

#29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by c722 /forum/post/16624844

Bill I have the same thought as you. And I'm far less optimistic. I think this connection is not direct digital path. Wadia paid a high price for the license (I'm sure it's proprietary), that's why it costs so much.

I agree. It would great if the 4310 did this but as you said Wadia paid a premuim for that license. If the 4310 does have this capability the 170i would be selling at fire sale prices
. Plus there would be a good amount of press about Denon having this feature but there is none that I have seen.

Bil

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrodgers /forum/post/16621602

It looks like I can do the 4310ci for about $500 more than the 3808ci, and I'm trying to determine if the improvements of the 4310ci are worth $500.

Hi-

First, the $500 would go towards the better video chip and flexibility to do the new Dolby format. The DACs are the same, from what we've read. As I have said in the "new Denons" thread, for my HT I usually splurge and get the better source equipment. I have Blu-Ray in there, and the upscaling capability of the player is good enough. I have my Dish in there, which in theory could benefit from the better video chip, but that is of low usage for me in the HT. A video game would not benefit from upscaling to 1080p.

For the savings I might pull in an Apple TV (or similar), a wireless bridge, etc. I can even choose to upgrade my projector.

In my family room I put the leftovers. No Blu-Ray yet, regular use of Dish, Wii, the video camera, etc. I have a 720p 50" plasma, which may be replaced with a mid-line flat panel in the next few years, so probably intermediate scaler. Here is where I'd like a decent video chip, and more connectivity.

That said, if I had the money I might just go for the latest/greatest and spend the $500. Still, there are so many gadgets you can get for $500...

PS Can you PM me how you are able to get the 4310 for only $500 more than the 3808?

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakophyte /forum/post/16625503

Hi-

First, the $500 would go towards the better video chip and flexibility to do the new Dolby format. The DACs are the same, from what we've read. As I have said in the "new Denons" thread, for my HT I usually splurge and get the better source equipment. I have Blu-Ray in there, and the upscaling capability of the player is good enough. I have my Dish in there, which in theory could benefit from the better video chip, but that is of low usage for me in the HT. A video game would not benefit from upscaling to 1080p.

For the savings I might pull in an Apple TV (or similar), a wireless bridge, etc. I can even choose to upgrade my projector.

In my family room I put the leftovers. No Blu-Ray yet, regular use of Dish, Wii, the video camera, etc. I have a 720p 50" plasma, which may be replaced with a mid-line flat panel in the next few years, so probably intermediate scaler. Here is where I'd like a decent video chip, and more connectivity.

That said, if I had the money I might just go for the latest/greatest and spend the $500. Still, there are so many gadgets you can get for $500...

PS Can you PM me how you are able to get the 4310 for only $500 more than the 3808?

You have a PM

Check out post 19 on this thread and give them a call for a price. You may be able to get a great price form here. Who knows until you try.

#33 ·

Quote:
Is there anyone who either has upgraded to the 4310ci from the 3808ci or has decided to? I'd be curious to know what led to that, and if you already have upgraded, whether you think the 4310ci is a worthwhile step up. I'm trying to evaluate a slightly different decision, which is whether to get the 3808ci at closeout prices or get the 4310ci. It looks like I can do the 4310ci for about $500 more than the 3808ci, and I'm trying to determine if the improvements of the 4310ci are worth $500.

Hard call. But I'm upgrading to the 4310 from a 3806.

Quote:
Where's info on the 4810?

Has it even been announced yet?

I don't see the 4810 mentioned here - http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/11/d...rs-and-headph/

#34 ·
A few brief questions for any of the 4310 owners. I did read the online manual, but either missed or didn't see anything related to these.

1. Will the 4310 pass through HDMI audio/video from a source to the display when in standby mode?

2. What audio sources can be sent to Zone 2 through the assignable speaker posts (i.e.- analog only, analog and non-hdmi digital, all, etc.)? The only reference I saw to this was that the pre-outs could not pass sources via HDMI to other zones than the main zone. Wasn't sure if that also applied to the actual assignable speaker posts.

THANKS!

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMetz1 /forum/post/16627737

A few brief questions for any of the 4310 owners. I did read the online manual, but either missed or didn't see anything related to these.

1. Will the 4310 pass through HDMI audio/video from a source to the display when in standby mode?

2. What audio sources can be sent to Zone 2 through the assignable speaker posts (i.e.- analog only, analog and non-hdmi digital, all, etc.)? The only reference I saw to this was that the pre-outs could not pass sources via HDMI to other zones than the main zone. Wasn't sure if that also applied to the actual assignable speaker posts.

THANKS!

1. I believe that Denon refers to this as "HDMI Control." Look for that in the manual.

Douglas

#36 ·
Thanks! The manual (p. 80) says the following, which makes this a bit more confusing for me and am not sure if it's related:

- AVR-4310CI power off can be linked to the TV power off step.

- You can switch audio output devices with a TV operation

- You can adjust AVR-4310CI output volume in the TV volume adjustment operation

- You can switch AVR-4310CI input source through linkage to TV input switching

- When playing the player, the AVR-4310CI input function switches to the function of that player.

It does however mention some notes about using more standby power.....

#38 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/16612799

I was looking at the 4310's manual and it states that you can connect a ipod directly to the 4310 with a usb cable. Does this bypass the ipods DACs ala the Wadia 170i or are do the ipods DACs still come into play? Is video processing per input or global for all inputs?

Bill

After giving this further thought, I believe that connecting the iPod directly to the 4310 through the USB port will use the 4310's DACs. I believe in this configuration, the iPod is simply acting as a large USB memory stick or USB hard drive.

If Denon manages to un-brick my new 4310, I will confirm the above.

Ira

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMetz1 /forum/post/16627737

THANKS!

1. Turning the 4310CI to standby with an HDMI picture on a display causes the picture to disappear.

2. Only analog signals can be directed to Zones 2 and 3

When using an iPod loaded with a thousand albums connected via USB, like many other interfaces, there is no fast way to move through the list.

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPWN /forum/post/16629534

1. Turning the 4310CI to standby with an HDMI picture on a display causes the picture to disappear.

2. Only analog signals can be directed to Zones 2 and 3

When using an iPod loaded with a thousand albums connected via USB, like many other interfaces, there is no fast way to move through the list.

DPWN:

Are you saying that with the 4310 in standby, I would not be able to watch my TV and get sound from the TV speakers (with Cable box to receiver to TV via HDMI)? Did you engage the HDMI Control feature?

My 2809, with the HDMI Control feature engaged, allows me to do this. I understand that the 3808 does this as well.

If what you are saying is correct, it makes no sense for Denon to omit this feature from the 4310.

Douglas

#43 ·
My apologies. I did not have the HDMI Control turned on for the 4310CI.

When turned on there is a choice for the source to be "Last used" or a specific HDMI input. The Control Monitor (1 or 2) also has to be selected in the setup. with those settings I was able to put the receiver in standby and get both video and audio on the monitor.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjl /forum/post/16632862

Will the 4310 output the ipod, sat radio or HD radio to zone 2 or 3?

Thanks,

Mark

With the iPod connected via USB I was able to output audio to Zone 2 (and presumably Zone 3). HD radio and Internet radio also worked fine, however I could not test Sat Radio as I do not have those adapters.

My comment for using these sources in Zone 2 would be that I found it necessary to select the devices and other settings using the Main Zone display. The iPod appears on the Net list and I didn't know how to select the device or music I wanted without the front panel display (does not show details for other zones) or monitor. Once initiated I could use the sub-remote to move through the tracks.

The same problem exists when selecting on Internet radio feed or the built in tuner. Since Net and USB share the same source button was unable to play the iPod in one zone and Internet radio in another.

Hope this makes sense.

#45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPWN /forum/post/16634485

With the iPod connected via USB I was able to output audio to Zone 2 (and presumably Zone 3). HD radio and Internet radio also worked fine, however I could not test Sat Radio as I do not have those adapters.

My comment for using these sources in Zone 2 would be that I found it necessary to select the devices and other settings using the Main Zone display. The iPod appears on the Net list and I didn't know how to select the device or music I wanted without the front panel display (does not show details for other zones) or monitor. Once initiated I could use the sub-remote to move through the tracks.

The same problem exists when selecting on Internet radio feed or the built in tuner. Since Net and USB share the same source button was unable to play the iPod in one zone and Internet radio in another.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks DPWN.

I'm trying to find a receiver that outputs sound to speakers in a covered patio area ( in addition to the main living room ). I wanted to have the HD radio, XM sat and Ipod connectivity. I probably don't need all the power this receiver has, but I hate to get a lower-end receiver that has "inferior" video upconversion. Question is, will I ever need that upconversion for a Pioneer 6020 plasma?

Thanks

Mark

#46 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjl /forum/post/16634650

Thanks DPWN.

I'm trying to find a receiver that outputs sound to speakers in a covered patio area ( in addition to the main living room ). I wanted to have the HD radio, XM sat and Ipod connectivity. I probably don't need all the power this receiver has, but I hate to get a lower-end receiver that has "inferior" video upconversion. Question is, will I ever need that upconversion for a Pioneer 6020 plasma?

Thanks

Mark

As for the video processing you problably never have to use it. Also you have to question what higher end receiver that you will want will NOT have a better video processing chip in it. It's getting to the point that ALL manufacturers are putting very good video processors in their high -end units. If you want all the features these have to offer the video processor is becoming a standard feature. I believe they are doing this in reverse. When they should have had the good processors they didn't when your display needed it. Now displays don't need it and its almost a standard in the feature laden AVR's. Go figure. That's why we will never see the "perfect" AVR IMO.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/16635248

As for the video processing you problably never have to use it. Also you have to question what higher end receiver that you will want will NOT have a better video processing chip in it. It's getting to the point that ALL manufacturers are putting very good video processors in their high -end units. If you want all the features these have to offer the video processor is becoming a standard feature. I believe they are doing this in reverse. When they should have had the good processors they didn't when your display needed it. Now displays don't need it and its almost a standard in the feature laden AVR's. Go figure. That's why we will never see the "perfect" AVR IMO.

phantom52:

That's what I needed to hear regarding the video processing. I'll probably just set the HDMI setting to "through" anyway. It's amazing how many professional reviews will slam an otherwise good receiver ( lower priced ) because it only upconverted to 1080i etc.

If I can get by without the video processing, I may be able to lower my sights to the 3310 for basically the same feature set. I'm not sure if it has direct Ipod connectivity, though.

Mark

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPWN /forum/post/16634325

My apologies. I did not have the HDMI Control turned on for the 4310CI.

When turned on there is a choice for the source to be "Last used" or a specific HDMI input. The Control Monitor (1 or 2) also has to be selected in the setup. with those settings I was able to put the receiver in standby and get both video and audio on the monitor.

DPWN, thanks. Whew! I was all set to order mine today from Abt, and stopped the purchase based on this. The HDMI Control feature is really nice, and would not want to buy a receiver today without it.

Enjoy your receiver! I hope I enjoy mine.

Douglas

#51 ·
Can anyone comment on the HDMI switching/syncing speed, especially compared to older Denons? Any lag or drop-outs to report?

Thanks,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.