AVS Forum banner

Antimode 8033

100K views 657 replies 145 participants last post by  kbuzz 
#1 ·
I just received my Antimode. Ordered Wednesday night and it arrived Friday afternoon. Fastest shipping I've ever seen.

I had an earlier thread where I posted my FR graph from 10Hz to 100Hz in 1 Hz increments and I couldn't figure out why the Audessey and the non EQ'ed graph were identical.

ANSWER:

I have Audessey 2EQ (the lowest version) in my Onkyo 605. This version does NOT set filters to the subwoofer.

I am very happy that I went ahead and ordered the Antimode 8033, now that I know that Audessey 2EQ wasn't ever going to help me EQ the sub anyway.

What should I do now?

1-Set Antimode to "Bypass" then run Audessey so that it sets up the correct levels and distance of the sub, then calibrate the subwoofer with Antimode.

2-Calibrate the subwoofer with Antimode, then run Audessey with the Antimode engaged.

3-Do something else?

4-Doesn't matter?

Thanks for any help on this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Option 3, it will allow for Audyssey to measure the added delay induced by the Anti-mode even if Audyssey doesn't touch the LFE.

Word to the wise, lower your subs gain a few db's before you use the Anti-mode and then after it is calibrated you can raise it back up to normal. The Anti-modes test tones (the initial test) are very powerful.

Congrats on the new EQ, I have really liked mine.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 /forum/post/16741138

I sure would like to hear more feedback once you get your Antimode set and running. Would you mind posting your impressions of this product and by the way what sub are you using this with?

Here is a link to to a thread that has numerous posts about the Antimode:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=8033

Get ready to do a lot of reading

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjulius /forum/post/16740872

I just received my Antimode. Ordered Wednesday night and it arrived Friday afternoon. Fastest shipping I've ever seen.

I had an earlier thread where I posted my FR graph from 10Hz to 100Hz in 1 Hz increments and I couldn't figure out why the Audessey and the non EQ'ed graph were identical.

ANSWER:

I have Audessey 2EQ (the lowest version) in my Onkyo 605. This version does NOT set filters to the subwoofer.

I am very happy that I went ahead and ordered the Antimode 8033, now that I know that Audessey 2EQ wasn't ever going to help me EQ the sub anyway.

What should I do now?

1-Set Antimode to "Bypass" then run Audessey so that it sets up the correct levels and distance of the sub, then calibrate the subwoofer with Antimode.

2-Calibrate the subwoofer with Antimode, then run Audessey with the Antimode engaged.

3-Do something else?

4-Doesn't matter?

Thanks for any help on this.

You may have already gotten used to the turn-on transient with the 8033. It's just something else to consider. If you use the proper turn-on sequence, the transient can be eliminated, AFAIK.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/16741310

I guess that you aren't going to be changing EQ's any time soon, hint, hint.

I probably do change them more than most people do but not on a daily basis. So, to be more explicit, I should have said that, when the 8033 is in my system, I just leave it powered up all the time. At the moment, it is not in the system (and not on).

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/16741375

I probably do change them more than most people do but not on a daily basis. So, to be more explicit, I should have said that, when the 8033 is in my system, I just leave it powered up all the time. At the moment, it is not in the system (and not on).

Kal, in your upcoming review of the SVS AS-EQ1 did you by any chance compare the Anti-Mode to it?

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick /forum/post/16741057

Option 3, it will allow for Audyssey to measure the added delay induced by the Anti-mode even if Audyssey doesn't touch the LFE.

Word to the wise, lower your subs gain a few db's before you use the Anti-mode and then after it is calibrated you can raise it back up to normal. The Anti-modes test tones (the initial test) are very powerful.

Congrats on the new EQ, I have really liked mine.

OK, just so I got this straight. Calibrate with the Antimode, then run Audessey so that it picks up the slight delay that the Antimode has.

Yeah, that first tone knocked some fillings lose.

#17 ·

Quote:

I sure would like to hear more feedback once you get your Antimode set and running. Would you mind posting your impressions of this product and by the way what sub are you using this with?

I'll graph the response once it's up and running.

I have the Epik Dynasty.

#18 ·

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/16741198

Here is a link to to a thread that has numerous posts about the Antimode:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=8033

Get ready to do a lot of reading

Spyboy,

Thanks for the link. Actually it was that thread that convinced me to order it in the first place. I just want to make sure that I am setting it up correctly with my crippled Audessey.

I've already heard the little boom when I powered up in the wrong order....won't be doing that again.

#19 ·
I got a very quick response from VLSI Solution (AntiMode) in reference to the AntiMode and my Audessey 2EQ (which does not add filters to a sub).

I calibrated the Epik Dynasty with the AntiMode 8033 then I re-ran Audessey. Audessey correctly changed the distance of my subwoofer.

Audessey set the sub to -3 on my Onkyo. All 7 speakers were level matched except for the sub which is 3db hotter according to my RS SPL meter. I don't know what frequency range Audessey uses for the sub.

Sub gain is set to 12 O'clock.

I did engage the 25Hz lift. It added clean sounding gain. No noticeable distortion.

I have been using the same test songs for the last couple of weeks trying to dial the Dynasty in. Boom Boom Pow by the Black Eyed Peas was loud and boomy at the same exact notes. It was a very noticeable, muddy boom boom as compared to the other "boom booms" just before and after.

After today's setup it is now COMPLETELY GONE !!!

That song is now tight all the way through. Wow, what a difference. The beats fall off much quicker now instead of hanging around and getting mixed into the next one. Sharper and harder hitting certainly would describe the change.

Another song that I have been using is Madonna's Die Another Day (someone from another thread recommended it) Very hard hitting bass that stops and starts abruptly. I'm not sure where the majority of the bass lies but I was getting 105 Db peaks at my sitting position and I had to turn it down because the slam was resetting my heart rate. I know that the RS SPL meter reads low Db's in the bass region. I don't know what the actual Db's were during this song but I couldn't take any more. The bass reminded me of my old "clubbin days" standing near a speaker and feeling every bass note in your chest.

BTW, my main seated position is 17 feet from the speakers and the sub.

For the last couple of weeks since I got my Dynasty I have been fooling around trying to dial it in manually, Audessey on, Audessey off, tweaks here and there, applying some Db's via the Onkyo, Etc.

I never came close to what I did today in 10 minutes between the Audessey and the AntiMode. Done correctly, in the proper order was all I needed.

Thanks Pasi. I'm a believer.

#21 ·
Excellent news and great report mrjulius! Very helpful for me...

BTW, where did you order the Antimode from? I've been poking around and need direction. Also, what did you have to pay for it and the shipping, etc.?

You can PM me considering that info is probably out-of-bounds for the forum..

I would very much appreciate it as I have a SubMersive on order from Mark Seaton and I know my room has all sorts of crappy issues!

Thanks again,

pa

#24 ·
I am currently using dual Velodyne DD-18's, dual HGS-18's and dual Epik Dragons in the HT. A SVS AS-EQ1 does the correction.

The Epik Conquests and HSU ULS-15 QuadDrive system are in other rooms.

John

#25 ·
I would also advise to look on reputable audio/video resale sites as well, as you can save a few $$ from retail (Audiogon/Videogon come to mind). I also have the Anti-Mode and it is very impressive what it does in 10 mins as John stated.

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifibitn /forum/post/16759718

I would also advise to look on reputable audio/video resale sites as well, as you can save a few $$ from retail (Audiogon/Videogon come to mind). I also have the Anti-Mode and it is very impressive what it does in 10 mins as John stated.

Cool--thanks for that advice. Glad to hear you like the AntiMode in your system! What are you running?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.