AVS Forum banner
452K views 1K replies 442 participants last post by  Russ Pastuch 
#1 ·
SONY'S NEW BLU-RAY DISC PLAYER AND HOME THEATER SYSTEMS GO WIRELESS

New Line Includes Wi-Fi Enabled Player and S-AIR Wireless Theater Systems

LAS VEGAS, March 2, 2009 - Sony is adding four new Blu-ray Disc devices to its lineup today, including a stand-alone player with Wi-Fi® capability for easy BD-Live access and Blu-ray Disc home theater systems with S-AIR wireless audio.

The BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 stand-alone players and BDV-E300 and BDV-E500W BD home theater systems deliver full HD 1080/60p and 24p True Cinema output, decode the latest advanced audio codecs, and are BD-Live capable with your broadband internet connection and purchase of external memory.

"The demands of today's home theater go beyond pristine picture quality and our new Blu-ray Disc product line offers a breadth of technologies that deliver an amazing entertainment experience," said Chris Fawcett, vice president of marketing for Sony Electronics' Home Product Division. "Consumers don't want a living room cluttered with wires and the new Blu-ray Disc product lineup breaks down the wired barriers of the past."

Offering built-in Wi-Fi wireless network capabilities (802.11N/G/B/A), the BDP-S560 can easily connect to the Internet through your existing wireless home network to download and stream BD-Live content including additional scenes, short subjects, trailers, interactive games, and more. It also enables easy firmware updates to assist in keeping your player up-to-date with the latest Blu-ray Disc media and features.

While compatible with most wireless routers, the BDP-S560 also supports Wi-Fi Protected Setup, for a quick and easy connection to enabled wireless routers. Additionally, the player is Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA®) ready, allowing it to connect to other DLNA compliant devices to share digital photos.

Since many consumers own extensive DVD movie libraries, the BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 incorporate Sony's Precision Cinema HD Upscale technology that converts standard-definition signals (480i) to near HD quality.

Additionally, the models add Sony's Precision Drive technology?, which helps to detect and correct wobbling discs from three directions, supporting stabilization of the playback of bent or scratched Blu-ray Discs and DVDs.

The BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 models support 7.1 channel Dolby® TrueHD and Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS®-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding as well as bit-stream output via HDMI.

Both players support Deep Color video output and AVCHD discs encoded with x.v.Color (xvYCC) technology. They also feature compatibility with an array of video formats, including BD-R/RE (BDMV and BDAV modes), DVD+R/+RW, DVD-R/-RW, CD, CD-R/RW (CD-DA format), and JPEG on BD/DVD/CD recordable media.

The models also offer an external port for local storage so users can add their USB flash storage device. The BDP-S560 features a front USB port for viewing photos from your USB flash memory device or directly from a digital camera.

Shipping this summer, the BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 will retail for about $300 and $350, respectively.

Styled to match the BDP-S360 and BDP-S560 with a black gloss exterior design, the HT-SS360 component home theater system is an integrated A/V receiver supporting full HD 1080p video and high resolution audio. Added to either of the new players, the theater system completes the package with 5.1 surround sound for a true cinematic experience.

The model will be available this May for about $350.

BLU-RAY HOME THEATER SYSTEMS

Sony also launched two new 5.1 channel Blu-ray Disc home theater systems, the BDV-E300 and BDV-E500W. The models are BD-Live capable and support the latest advanced audio codecs including 7.1 channel Dolby® TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus, DTS®-HD High Resolution Audio, and DTS-HD Master Audio decoding as well as bit-stream.

The BDV-E500W features integrated S-AIR wireless audio capabilities. Sony's S-AIR technology transmits audio up to 164 feet from the main system to wireless rear speakers for simple surround sound (signal and sound quality may vary) or up to 10 individual S-AIR AirStation audio devices (sold separately) throughout the home. The BDV-E300 model is S-AIR ready so users can add optional modules, also sold separately.

Both systems include Sony's Digital Media Port, which adds control and connectivity options for music playback through various accessories, including a cradle for iPod® players which is packaged with each system, or an optional Network Walkman cradle, a PC client device, and a Bluetooth® adapter (each sold separately).

The models include an easy set-up DVD, eliminating any confusion during the set up process. Also, Sony's BRAVIA® Sync technology simplifies every day operation with one-button command of compatible home theater components through HDMI.

The models also feature Sony's Xross Media Bar (XMB) graphic user interface for easy menu navigation, Precision Drive technology, Precision Cinema Upscaling technology, and a USB port allowing users to add their external flash memory for BD-Live features. The units ship with an easy set-up DVD for step-by-step instruction on initial set up process.

The BDV-E300 and BDV-E500W ship in June for about $600 and $800, respectively.

All of the new models will be offered at Sony Style stores, online at www.sonystyle.com , at military base exchanges, and at authorized retailers nationwide.

See less See more
#228 ·
I bought a Sony BDP-S360 today. Hooked it up using the same cables from my previous player (HDMI, red/white audio, optical). At first nothing but static. Updated the universal remote (Logitech Harmony 890) on the computer. Tried again. The DVD loading screen popped up, got excited but then static again after about ten seconds. Not sure if it's the player, TV or the receiver. The TV is a HD Phillips (a few years old, don't have model number on hand) and it being wall-mounted makes it hard to switch out cables and the like. The player worked via analog cables on the side of the TV.

Any suggestions?

#229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodit /forum/post/16702922

I bought a Sony BDP-S360 today. Hooked it up using the same cables from my previous player (HDMI, red/white audio, optical).

What does that mean?: "red/white audio, optical"

If you are hooking up to your TV with HDMI, you should not need any additional audio connections because HDMI carries audio. Perhaps "static" is your TV's way of saying, "What the...".

#232 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk21 /forum/post/16706573

I don't know of any limit, though a drive that large is likely overkill. I can say that I have a 4 GB drive in mine that works fine.

Ditto the 4GB drive with me. As you may know the 360 requires a 1GB minimum thumb drive, and it needs to be a slim form-factor drive to fit in the recessed socket on the 360. The thumb drive I'm using now has a 9mm x 19mm cross-section and fits in the 360 socket ok, but when I used it with the BD-Live feature of "The Changeling", many of the downloaded featurettes stalled out and refused to play all the way through, so I will probably be buying a new thumb drive with a fast write speed to see if that will solve the problem.

#233 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk21 /forum/post/16706573

i don't know of any limit, though a drive that large is likely overkill. I can say that i have a 4 gb drive in mine that works fine.

+1

#234 ·
I anticipate purchasing the 360 soon at our local Fry's for $239.00. I'm going to pair it with a relatively new Z-Series Sony LCD T.V. I have hesitated up to now to go to BD, as I already have two standard-def DVD players (one of which is a recorder). Plus, I have DirecTV's HD DVR with Video on Demand which allows the streaming of 1080p content direclty to the DVR, so no need to really have this feature in the BD player.

But I have a couple of questions regarding the 360.......

--I am assuming that the HDMI connection between the 360 to the LCD TV passes the audio through the LCD TV to my audio receiver just as it does with all other HDMI inputs. I have an older HK receiver with a limited number of optical audio inputs, so I don't want to have to use the optical output on the BD player if it is not necessary.

--My HD DVR is connected to the internet using a Linksys WGA600N wireless adaptor (in the HT cabinet). There is only one ethernet jack on this adapter (connected to the HD DVR), yet I want to use ithe adaptor for the 360 as well to download some of the special feature content available for the BD player over the internet. Is there a solution to this?

Comments and suggestions are appreciated....

#235 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanS /forum/post/16712371

I anticipate purchasing the 360 soon at our local Fry's for $239.00. I'm going to pair it with a relatively new Z-Series Sony LCD T.V. I have hesitated up to now to go to BD, as I already have two standard-def DVD players (one of which is a recorder). Plus, I have DirecTV's HD DVR with Video on Demand which allows the streaming of 1080p content direclty to the DVR, so no need to really have this feature in the BD player.

--I am assuming that the HDMI connection between the 360 to the LCD TV passes the audio through the LCD TV to my audio receiver just as it does with all other HDMI inputs. I have an older HK receiver with a limited number of optical audio inputs, so I don't want to have to use the optical output on the BD player if it is not necessary.

--My HD DVR is connected to the internet using a Linksys WGA600N wireless adaptor (in the HT cabinet). There is only one ethernet jack on this adapter (connected to the HD DVR), yet I want to use ithe adaptor for the 360 as well to download some of the special feature content available for the BD player over the internet. Is there a solution to this?

do you have a coax input on your hk ? i have a 125 hk and i am thinking about a 360bd, and i a m as well limited on optical imputs also. and if i get the 360bd i will hook up via coax just a thought. regards....

#236 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanS /forum/post/16712371

are you saying you have hdmi from the 360 to the tv and then from the tv to the receiver? That seems backwards. If you do that you won't get 5.1 out of the tv.

You might be able to use an ethernet switch to share the wireless adaptor output but I've had so so results doing it. Tivo is fine but the BR will lose it network config,

#237 ·
I haven't purchased the 360 yet.

I currently have my HD DVR connected to the LCD TV through HDMI. The LCD TV has an optical audio out jack which is connected directly to the HK receiver. This is the instructed method of setup in the Sony manual. I had previously had the HD DVR connected via HDMI to the LCD TV, but was using a direct optical audio connection between the DVR and the receiver, which resulted in synching issues for 1080p content from D*. Once I set up things correcly that issue went away.

I was just assuming that I only need to use the HDMI connection from the 360 to the LCD TV and that, similar to the DVR, the audio will be routed to the receiver from the optical audio output of the T.V. Right?

I'm somewhat put off by networking challenges, but I was hoping there was some simple device that would expand the number of ethernet jacks on an adapter, such as the WGA600N ,without messing up my current DVR 's connection to the internet.

Thanks.

#238 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanS /forum/post/16713869

I haven't purchased the 360 yet.

I currently have my HD DVR connected to the LCD TV through HDMI. The LCD TV has an optical audio out jack which is connected directly to the HK receiver. This is the instructed method of setup in the Sony manual. I had previously had the HD DVR connected via HDMI to the LCD TV, but was using a direct optical audio connection between the DVR and the receiver, which resulted in synching issues for 1080p content from D*. Once I set up things correcly that issue went away.

I was just assuming that I only need to use the HDMI connection from the 360 to the LCD TV and that, similar to the DVR, the audio will be routed to the receiver from the optical audio output of the T.V. Right?

I'm somewhat put off by networking challenges, but I was hoping there was some simple device that would expand the number of ethernet jacks on an adapter, such as the WGA600N ,without messing up my current DVR 's connection to the internet.

Thanks.

Aren't you only getting stereo over the optical from the tv to the receiver? Maybe the receiver will apply a DSP to make it sound like surround, but you aren't getting 5.1 sent by the tv. As far as I know, like my Sony SXRD, the only time the tv will send 5.1 over optical is from its antenna/cable inputs. So if you are watching a show with 5.1 soundtrack using one of the antenna inputs either OTA or cable, then the tv will send it to the receiver, but not any 5.1 from a hdmi/optical audio input.

Try an ethernet switch, they are cheap for splitting your wireless connection.

#239 ·
Thanks for the replies to my questions. Yes, I'm getting stereo over the optical from the tv to the receiver. Better than that, I am receiving Dolby Digital 3/2.1 over this connection to my receiver. This is a new Sony LCD T.V. I am assuming the same DD 3/2.1 DD signal will be available to my receiver when I hook up the 360 (via HDMI) to the tv. I'll check into ethernet switches....

#240 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanS /forum/post/16719407

Thanks for the replies to my questions. Yes, I'm getting stereo over the optical from the tv to the receiver. Better than that, I am receiving Dolby Digital 3/2.1 over this connection to my receiver. This is a new Sony LCD T.V. I am assuming the same DD 3/2.1 DD signal will be available to my receiver when I hook up the 360 (via HDMI) to the tv. I'll check into ethernet switches....

Apparently your receiver has no HDMI inputs, otherwise you would be connecting your DVR to your receiver with HDMI, and your receiver to your TV also with HDMI. 3/2.1 is 5.1, is it not? (3 + 2 = 5.)

#241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk21 /forum/post/16690445

Hi all,

I'm jumping in this thread as a relatively new s360 owner. I started with the Panasonic bd60 but didn't really want to wait and see if Panasonic can resolve the freezing issues easily. I returned it and picked up the Sony because I've had good luck with Sony players in the past. I'm very pleased, however, the DVD upconversion isn't as nice, but at least it doesn't freeze.

DVD upconversion is the weak link of this player. You should be good to go with everything else if that isn't an issue for you.

The PQ and AQ are more than acceptable for Blu Ray with this player.

#242 ·
Price drop at Wally-World on this player. After I just got one for the original price of course.

#243 ·
If im not mistaken this S360 is FREE at the Big River when you purchase a qualifying Samsung HDTV and the list includes the popular B750 & B650. Of course the Big River has no coupons any longer on the HDTV`s so the prices are higher now. But your still getting this BR player Free.

Regards

#250 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 /forum/post/16740617

I never did. Everything I tried load and played flawlessly. Maybe you have a bad disc for Wall Street but I don't have it nor did I ever try that one. Try cleaning it or another copy of that one.

I had a netflix blu-ray disc lock up and cleaning off a fingerprint on it 'fixed' it.

#251 ·
I thought I was pretty smart about audio setups for DVD players until today!!

My Problem:

I just connected a new Sony BDP-S360 BD player to my new Sony LCD T.V. but can't get it to play Dolby Digital "3/2.1" through my older HK receiver which is a DD receiver only (no DTS). I have tried just about everything in the setup menus - to no avail.

The Sony BD player is hooked up to the LCD T.V via HDMI. The optical audio out from the LCD T.V. is connected to the HD receiver. I also have a DVR connected via HDMI to the LCD T.V. With this method of connection my DVR plays DD content just fine. Broadcast content in DD appears as "AC-3 Digital 3/2.1" on the front panel of the receiver. But I can't get the same to appear for the two Blueray disks I have played. In frustration, I connected the player directly to my amplifier (using a switcher) via optical audio and still can't get the BD soundtrack to trigger "3/2.1"

I have been through the setup menus on the player several times and can't get it to work. Any suggestions? Don't all BD movies support plain old DD 3/2.1 just like my older player? What gives.........?

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.