AVS Forum banner

Samsung PN**B450 Picture Settings

Tags
samsung
308K views 2K replies 181 participants last post by  vincentfam 
#1 ·
The following was taken from a different thread as I couldn't understand why everyone prefers Cinema Mode instead of Standard Mode when Standard looks much better to me personally.

Question, why do most recommend using the different Cinema/Movie modes? The colors look much more accurate on my PN42B450 on Standard than they do on Cinema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zspec1 /forum/post/16315664

Most tv sets cinema mode are setup closer to the d65k standard. I recommend you watch it in cinema mode for a couple of days, then switch to standard and tell us if you think it still looks better in standard mode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjasonb /forum/post/16315899

yes, movie mode is the way to go. at first i wasn't so sure, but it is definitely the best. especially if you're watching in very low light conditions.

First off, what is d65k standard? I have said it before that I am new to all of this and I do not plan on having any professional calibration done so the only thing I have to go by is my eyes. Hopefully there are enough PN**B450 owners here to contribute to this. If you can all share your picture settings and maybe give a brief description of your setup and viewing style (cable stb/satellite, dvd/Blu-ray, Standard Mode/Cinema, day/night, standard definition/hd and such)

I am interested to read some replies and see what everyone prefers. Thanks

#157 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSenkow /forum/post/16734139

Upon finding this site and thread quite by accident, I just had to register and submit my findings. First, since my model is the PN42B430, what I write may or may not even apply to the 450, but assuming it does it may be of interest. Secondly, thank you stereomandan for I have combined your Tint and White Balance settings with the ones I had been using, and most certainly any issue I may have had with flesh tone in particular has diminished.

I have applied your settings verbatim AFTER watching "Defiance" on Blu-Ray (having not found this site at the time) and have been very impressed with the result as I have replayed certain chapters of the film. Unfortunately I rent movies seldom but am looking forward to the experience in the future.

Now for HDTV channel programming I find that I must revert to the settings I had, but implemented your Tint and White Balance findings. Again, it is likely enough that the models are different that I do so. However if the models are in common I would be interested to know what some opinions are of them. Again, this is strictly for watching television. Sorry for babbling on, and thank you!

SOURCE HDMI/DVI

Mode = Movie

Cell Light = 6

Contrast = 77

Brightness = 52

Sharpness = 100

Color = 37

Tint = G34/R66

Black Tone = Dark

Dynamic Contrast = Med

Gamma = 0

Color Space = Native

White Balance:

Red Offset = 12

Green Offset = 24

Blue Offset = 6

Red Gain = 25

Green Gain = 0

Blue Gain = 17

Flesh Tone = 0

Edge Enhancement = On

Color Tone = Warm2

Size = 16:9

Digital NR = Auto

HDMI Black Level = Normal

So glad to help WSenkow! When I get a chance, I will try your settings on HDTV programming and provide my feedback.

Dan

#158 ·
Well, after a few days of this I must admit I'm confused! I like the Blu-Ray settings (a lot) as they are beyond what I had calibrated or anticipated, but now I reverted to my original settings for HDTV viewing. Needless to say this is agonizing. For some reason (may be the difference in model after all) I seem to have a greater palette with the 'White Balance' at default. Here is what I had before, and went back to for television viewing.

Mode = Movie

Cell Light = 6

Contrast = 77

Brightness = 52

Sharpness = 100

Color = 37

Tint = G44/R56

Black Tone = Dark

Dynamic Contrast = Med

Gamma = 0

Color Space = Native

White Balance = default

Flesh Tone = 0

Edge Enhancement = On

Color Tone = Warm2

Digital NR = Auto

stereomandan, how I wish you had the 430 series or I the 450! I am going to follow this thread some more with interest.

Warmest;

WS

#159 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSenkow /forum/post/16755917

Well, after a few days of this I must admit I'm confused! I like the Blu-Ray settings (a lot) as they are beyond what I had calibrated or anticipated, but now I reverted to my original settings for HDTV viewing. Needless to say this is agonizing. For some reason (may be the difference in model after all) I seem to have a greater palette with the 'White Balance' at default. Here is what I had before, and went back to for television viewing.

Mode = Movie

Cell Light = 6

Contrast = 77

Brightness = 52

Sharpness = 100

Color = 37

Tint = G44/R56

Black Tone = Dark

Dynamic Contrast = Med

Gamma = 0

Color Space = Native

White Balance = default

Flesh Tone = 0

Edge Enhancement = On

Color Tone = Warm2

Digital NR = Auto

stereomandan, how I wish you had the 430 series or I the 450! I am going to follow this thread some more with interest.

Warmest;

WS

Aren't there many posts on how cell light = 10 is the only setting to be used with the samsungs?

WSenkow can you post any pics of your set in action?

#160 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallows /forum/post/16758246

Aren't there many posts on how cell light = 10 is the only setting to be used with the samsungs?

WSenkow can you post any pics of your set in action?

dallows, I really know not what to tell you. If 10 is the ONLY setting for cell light, than the next argument will be, what are the other CORRECT settings for viewing television? After all, the Blu-Ray or the film industry for that matter, conform to a narrower but higher band of standards than those of televison programming. In that mode there may be a correct setting(s).

Using ALL of the settings I have indicated for televison, gives me the best possible picture show in, show out, channel in, channel out. The sales-manager from whom I purchased the set was over yesterday, and he has NEVER seen a set of any brand or price range calibrated to such realism and clarity, and I'm using a cable feed, not a dish. Sorry for bragging, that's just the way it is. I'm not going to convice anyone anyways unless they try it out for themselves.

#161 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSenkow /forum/post/16759305

dallows, I really know not what to tell you. If 10 is the ONLY setting for cell light, than the next argument will be, what are the other CORRECT settings for viewing television? After all, the Blu-Ray or the film industry for that matter, conform to a narrower but higher band of standards than those of televison programming. In that mode there may be a correct setting(s).

Using ALL of the settings I have indicated for televison, gives me the best possible picture show in, show out, channel in, channel out. The sales-manager from whom I purchased the set was over yesterday, and he has NEVER seen a set of any brand or price range calibrated to such realism and clarity, and I'm using a cable feed, not a dish. Sorry for bragging, that's just the way it is. I'm not going to convice anyone anyways unless they try it out for themselves.

I'm not trying to argue you're settings don't look good ( which is why I asked for pics). but all I can tell you is if you do a search (I'll do one in a bit maybe, at work) for samsung cell light you'll see posts from pro calibrators about how samsung had this setting as a left over from LCDs and that 10 would be the proper setting.

#162 ·
I know what you are saying dallows, and sorry for jumping on you. I'll feel better when I watch tv tonight. With all the variables involved, it is likely there are enough starting points that could attain near the same results. A pro calibrator and I are at odds on another site and we will NEVER agree on many things I talk about. First I say Dynamic Contrast IS an absolute must. The trade-offs with Edge Enhancement and Sharpness at a 100 are worth their usage as well. This drives me nuts as he doesn't have the tv in front of him and is basing his argument on past experience, and he can't get it through his head that I shut down these features for watching Blu-Ray. I will go as far to say his ego will prevent him from even trying my settings. Gee, we take things so personal!

Anyways, great to communicate with you and thanks sincerely for your interest.

#164 ·
Wsenkow gooday to you, I have the 42b450 and use stereomandans settings but tonight I will give your settings a try while watching Tv. Also how did you come across your settings? Did you use any tools or just by your eyes
it doesnt matter but just curious, give me a few hours and I'll post up my opinion.

#167 ·
Just got a PN42B450 and it is also my first plasma, I have been reading a lot of the posts here and can't wait to try some of the settings. I was hoping to just get some straight answers to a couple questions.

1. Should I use the pixel shift and at what settings?

2. What is an adequate break in period, is it necessary to use a break in DVD/slideshow?

Thanks.

#168 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoyle55 /forum/post/16774257

1. Should I use the pixel shift and at what settings?

There should be a section in your manual called "Preventing Screen Burn-in" near the end of PICTURE CONTROL>Picture Options. Go with the settings they suggest, our models may have different settings so it's unfair to tell you what they are.

Good-luck with your set, you made a wise choice.

#169 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoyle55 /forum/post/16774257

2. What is an adequate break in period, is it necessary to use a break in DVD/slideshow?

Thanks.

A break-in DVD is not necessary. My recommendation is to run full screen content for the first 100 hours or so, and then you are all set. That's all I did and I play letterboxed DVD's now with no problem with IR. You can even start right off the bat with my settings, just give it time to break-in by using full screen content.

Dan

#171 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSenkow /forum/post/16762004

I'm lousy with cameras, and attachments for that matter, but took this one today. The date on bottom left is incorrect.

Attachment 146929

I'll take some pics tonight of like Dark Knight and maybe another pretty common movie. It'll be hard for me to take shots of a regular cable channel but I'll try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSenkow /forum/post/16762401

kanpol, done all by trial and error, I've been all over the settings for a while. I'm beginning to think the model PN42B430 is rare, and I have no one to play with. Hope it works for your model, and thanks!

Your B430 shouldn't be that far off from the B450. I think your model just lacks some inputs is all. Should be basically the same.

To note. I've tried many other settings for movie/warm2 including Dan's and nothing comes close to my Standard mode calibration. Maybe it's my set or my eyes. Movie/Warm2 just looks cloudy, out of focus/blurry and just not right.

#172 ·
little off topic but since this has the most active talk--

Has anyone used this tv with the stand and had one side leaning more than the other? Picked this up and need to use the stand but it leans to the left about a 1/4 inch and I cannot get it to level. Any body else?

#174 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSenkow /forum/post/16755917

Mode = Movie

Cell Light = 6

Contrast = 77

Brightness = 52

Sharpness = 100

Color = 37

Tint = G44/R56

Black Tone = Dark

Dynamic Contrast = Med

Gamma = 0

Color Space = Native

White Balance = default

Flesh Tone = 0

Edge Enhancement = On

Color Tone = Warm2

Digital NR = Auto

Warmest;

WS

I helped my parents buy a pn50b450 and i'll be calibrating it next weekend....but, why would you have the dark tone and dynamic contrast to anything other than "off"??

Also, sharpness at 100??

And...with cell light at 6 and bright at 52 i think you are losing some detail, ofcourse there are panel variances, but that seems too low.

#175 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/16777714

I helped my parents buy a pn50b450 and i'll be calibrating it next weekend....but, why would you have the dark tone and dynamic contrast to anything other than "off"??

Also, sharpness at 100??

And...with cell light at 6 and bright at 52 i think you are losing some detail, ofcourse there are panel variances, but that seems too low.

From what I've seen with my set and after all my calibrations Dynamic Contrast at Medium (dark tone off), gives the best picture without losing detail. Once calibrated you won't get any black crush or lose the black detail(however you want to say it).

I used the AVSD (can't remember the name) Calibration Disc from this forum and they have a test pattern that cycles through different brightness levels. The scale doesn't change drastically enough to lose that black detail.

After calibrating both modes with those settings off, the picture just doesn't look as good.

Tell me why it should be off?

#177 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/16778110

I am only going by past experience with prior years sets. Perhaps you are correct, I wont know until next weekend.

But...my thought would be that you are crushing blacks and possibly losing some shadow detail.

But panels do vary and sometimes much more than many might think.

I believe it. I spent a lot of time going through the different settings. I'm happy where it is. Let us know how your calibration turns out.

#178 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S /forum/post/16777714

Also, sharpness at 100??

I haven't posted the settings I use for Blu-Ray viewing, the dark tone and dynamic contrast are off for that source. Instead of me defending my usage of these features for watching tv, perhaps give them a try for a day or two and then get back to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.