AVS Forum banner

The Official Pioneer 9G North American KRP-500M / KRP-600M Owner's Discussion Pt. II

762K views 7K replies 673 participants last post by  moggi1964 
#1 ·
#27 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o /forum/post/16809773

.. do you know at what rate these displays refresh for 50p content? (see my post, #3).

I believe it's 75hz when Drive Mode is 1, 100Hz when Drive Mode is 2.. I suggest you use Drive Mode 2, I think you will be happier when Inputting that Signal

EDIT: and yes, I'm an DIY Calibrator and HT Enthusiast, not a Professional Calibrator

-Turbe

#28 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaroxio /forum/post/16809882

My next door neighbor came over to check out the Ekornes chairs. When she saw my 600M (not even calibrated!), she wanted one for her husband office. The issue is he turns on and off his TV over a dozen times a day (home-office).

Given this pattern, would you recommend the 600M, or which alternatives?

Sadly, his eyes or ears are not in the videophile and audiophile club. But his wife wants him to have the best. Thanks in advance.

should be no problem. i'm sure there are many many Pioneer panels that get turned on/off many times during the day.

tell her to get one while she can, her husband will love her for it

#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/16809888

I believe it's 75hz when Drive Mode is 1, 100Hz when Drive Mode is 2.. I suggest you use Drive Mode 2, I think you will be happier when Inputting that Signal

EDIT: and yes, I'm an DIY Calibrator and HT Enthusiast, not a Professional Calibrator

-Turbe

Thanks a lot, It didn't even cross my mind to play with the drive modes, though separately I was wondering what they did. Some of these settings need better explanation in the manual.

Thanks again!

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 /forum/post/16808889

I have a tivo, xbox 360 and a ps3 all hooked up through a receiver. Currently when playing PS3 and Xbox games I have to switch the kuro to rgb (16-235) mode to get the correct black levels. Then when I switch back to the tivo, I have to switch the kuro back to auto mode.

Since all sources are hooked up to the receiver, it makes things a bit complicated. Anyone in a similar situation and has developed a workaround?

I wish you could assign the input mode (auto, ycc, rgb) to a resolution

I'm still learning about all of the settings and what they do, but tonite, when watching Entourage on HBO std definition, I noticed that the credits, which were black, were not very black. The black had a glow to it. Is this the same issue you are describing?

I believe I used the PS3 recommended settings, but think I may be running into the same issue, potentially having to switch settings when watching TV.

Can I harmony remote fix this issue?

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McCune /forum/post/16810252

I'm told there is an extensive discussion of the ps3 settings in the ps3 thread.

There's a link to the video portion of the PS3 FAQ in the FAQ.

There's also a nice walk-through of format choices in the video chain in the Oppo BDP-83 FAQ.

#36 ·
How long do you guys think it will take until the KRP-500M is sold out everywhere? I've heard some resellers on the forum say that they'll run out during this month. I've really got to order mine tomorrow.

#37 ·
To Get Geared up for a KRP-600. We just got the Ekornes Granada 3 Seat High Back Tilting Sofa with Vanilla Leather and Blond Wood and the Salamander Low 12 inch High Quad in Black so we do not have to look at components.

Got to do it right and get stuff that lasts 10 Years+

Enjoy everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaroxio /forum/post/16809882

My next door neighbor came over to check out the Ekornes chairs. When she saw my 600M (not even calibrated!), she wanted one for her husband office. The issue is he turns on and off his TV over a dozen times a day (home-office).

Given this pattern, would you recommend the 600M, or which alternatives?

Sadly, his eyes or ears are not in the videophile and audiophile club. But his wife wants him to have the best. Thanks in advance.

#38 ·
KRP-600 here. I'm starting day 2 of the 6-day evangelo2 DVD break-in. I just hope it won't harm my new-out-of-the-box Oppo BDP-83.

#39 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck /forum/post/16810138

I'm still learning about all of the settings and what they do, but tonite, when watching Entourage on HBO std definition, I noticed that the credits, which were black, were not very black. The black had a glow to it. Is this the same issue you are describing?

I believe I used the PS3 recommended settings, but think I may be running into the same issue, potentially having to switch settings when watching TV.

Can I harmony remote fix this issue?

Is it possible to program a harmony remote to flip back and forth between RGB and Auto for input mode on the kuro?

#40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by (W)KRP /forum/post/16810597

KRP-600 here. I'm starting day 2 of the 6-day evangelo2 DVD break-in. I just hope it won't harm my new-out-of-the-box Oppo BDP-83.

Have you mounted yours already? My 500M is still sitting in it's styrofoam box since I'm waiting on my swivel mount to be delivered.
Too bad a few vents are blocked off by styrofoam else I'd have started the break in process with the TV still in the box. I did plug it into my comcast HD box today to give it a test run and it looked great! Can't wait to get everything setup.

#41 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICHAELSD /forum/post/16810477

How long do you guys think it will take until the KRP-500M is sold out everywhere? I've heard some resellers on the forum say that they'll run out during this month. I've really got to order mine tomorrow.

Nobody could speculate or verify except the powers of Pioneer who know how much inventory is available nationwide. The key in retail is always supply vs. demand and recent events have created quite a demand for the 500m and 600m. I would be amazed if supply lasted only a month, really amazed as but weirder things have happened. Sometimes the hype is just that- HYPE!!!

#42 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 /forum/post/16810644

Is it possible to program a harmony remote to flip back and forth between RGB and Auto for input mode on the kuro?

I believe it is, you just have to go in a set up the special commands for the source setting you want it to transition to, you may also want to program a delay outside of your normal setup so the command registers with the TV. EX. Harmony One you press BluRay the input on the TV goes to Input 5, the AVR to DVD setting, and the Bluray player is powered on... you want to program an extra request to scroll the RGB setting to Auto. The problem is going to be when you transition back to another setting you have to rotate and program it once more to do so... I find it easier just to find the screen button under devices for TV and press it twice. sorry for the length and any confusion therein.

#44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-home /forum/post/16811171

I believe it is, you just have to go in a set up the special commands for the source setting you want it to transition to, you may also want to program a delay outside of your normal setup so the command registers with the TV. EX. Harmony One you press BluRay the input on the TV goes to Input 5, the AVR to DVD setting, and the Bluray player is powered on... you want to program an extra request to scroll the RGB setting to Auto. The problem is going to be when you transition back to another setting you have to rotate and program it once more to do so... I find it easier just to find the screen button under devices for TV and press it twice. sorry for the length and any confusion therein.

Are you implying there is a "shortcut" to do this with the kuro remote?

#46 ·
Pioneer lists discrete screen size changing commands for the "other" monitors. Does anyone have those commands working with a universal remote? I don't use them but if they work I'd like to get the codes.

#47 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 /forum/post/16812263

Are you implying there is a "shortcut" to do this with the kuro remote?

No, sorry read over the response you can go into the TV device section of your Harmony 1 and then click "menu" then scroll to inputs and change from there. Never have to pick up the Pioneer remote at all, just Harmony. FYI- the button at the lower right labeled "e" is basically the same as the select button on the Pioneer remote. Sorry for the miscommunication, no malice intended.

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 /forum/post/16808889

I have a tivo, xbox 360 and a ps3 all hooked up through a receiver. Currently when playing PS3 and Xbox games I have to switch the kuro to rgb (16-235) mode to get the correct black levels. Then when I switch back to the tivo, I have to switch the kuro back to auto mode.

Try exactly this:

DeviceSetting
KRP HDMI Input Signal TypeAuto
Xbox 360 (assume NXE update)HDMI Colorspace=RGB; Reference Level=Expanded (0-255)
PS3 Video Settings (BD)"Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr"
PS3 Display Settings(Games)RGB Full (0-255)
TivoLocked at YCbCr

In theory, games are RGB 0-255. If we set the Xbox and the PS3 to output game graphics in RGB 0-255, the KRP's Auto mode will always recognize RGB as RGB 0-255 - which would then be correct in this case. KRP's auto mode will also switch correctly to the Tivo's YCbCr output. And, since the PS3 is also a BD player which (theoretically) can be set separately from the Game ("Display") setting, the KRP should switch correctly to the PS3's BD YCbCr output.

#49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite-home /forum/post/16812707

No, sorry read over the response you can go into the TV device section of your Harmony 1 and then click "menu" then scroll to inputs and change from there. Never have to pick up the Pioneer remote at all, just Harmony. FYI- the button at the lower right labeled "e" is basically the same as the select button on the Pioneer remote. Sorry for the miscommunication, no malice intended.

No problem at all. I appreciate the help. So, if I understand correctly, with the harmony I can program the remote to switch back and forth between auto and rgb (16-235)? Further, could I create a "game mode" with the harmony that will switch the kuro to full screen mode and rgb mode with a press of button? If the answer is yes, I will be purchasing a remote right away

#50 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrady3324 /forum/post/16813090

No problem at all. I appreciate the help. So, if I understand correctly, with the harmony I can program the remote to switch back and forth between auto and rgb (16-235)? Further, could I create a "game mode" with the harmony that will switch the kuro to full screen mode and rgb mode with a press of button? If the answer is yes, I will be purchasing a remote right away

You can program the Harmony to do these manually by you, not automatically. You might be able to program to switch to full screen but I do not believe you can alter the RGB settings without manual assistance. I will try and see what happens.

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbimmer /forum/post/16812780

Try exactly this:

DeviceSetting
KRP HDMI Input Signal TypeAuto
Xbox 360 (assume NXE update)HDMI Colorspace=RGB; Reference Level=Expanded (0-255)
PS3 Video Settings (BD)"Y Pb / Cb Pr / Cr"
PS3 Display Settings(Games)RGB Full (0-255)
TivoLocked at YCbCr

In theory, games are RGB 0-255. If we set the Xbox and the PS3 to output game graphics in RGB 0-255, the KRP's Auto mode will always recognize RGB as RGB 0-255 - which would then be correct in this case. KRP's auto mode will also switch correctly to the Tivo's YCbCr output. And, since the PS3 is also a BD player which (theoretically) can be set separately from the Game ("Display") setting, the KRP should switch correctly to the PS3's BD YCbCr output.

That is my current set up. With Xbox using RGB/expanded, I have to switch the Kuro to use RGB (16-235) to get the correct black levels. Should this not be the case?