AVS Forum banner

Official JTR speaker thread

3M views 44K replies 1K participants last post by  rcohen 
#1 ·

As more and more ppl buying these speakers, i thought that there should be a centralized thread to post pics, comments, setup.

Reactions: ronnlim and rizki96
#2 ·
Good idea. I'm a happy customer, Triple 12LF's for LCR driven by Emotiva XPA-5 with B&W DM602s3 as rears and a Paradigm PW2100 sub. Epson 6500ub PJ, Onkyo 886 pre/pro, Cinetension2 134" screen and Oppo BR player. My system ROCKS and it is not finished. Need window treatments and an acoustical panel or two.

I'm still playing around with the Audssey settings and the crossover settings for the JTR's.

www.seanile31.com has pics of the work in progress on the Game Room page.

--JK

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNile /forum/post/16874776

Good idea. I'm a happy customer, Triple 12LF's for LCR driven by Emotiva XPA-5 with B&W DM602s3 as rears and a Paradigm PW2100 sub. Epson 6500ub PJ, Onkyo 886 pre/pro, Cinetension2 134" screen and Oppo BR player. My system ROCKS and it is not finished. Need window treatments and an acoustical panel or two.

I'm still playing around with the Audssey settings and the crossover settings for the JTR's.

www.seanile31.com has pics of the work in progress on the Game Room page.

--JK

My Amp is pretty similar to the Emotiva XPA-5 see here you seem to be happy with having enough power for the 12LF's?

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley /forum/post/16874857

I have my 2010 Triple 8's. Great build & sound quality, small size, Dynamic, efficient, great clarity/resolution in midrange and highs, neutral sound. What I need now is a more powerful amp & more powerful sub(s) to go with them.

Tom,

What amp are you using? What do you feel is lacking with the current amp?

Joe H

#6 ·
I'm probably going to go all JTR for my HT (5.1) but theres been one nagging question left. I currently have a Denon 2809CI that I just got that is rated at 115w (7.1) into 8 ohms and is not rated for 4 ohms, though from other posts I here that this receiver doesn't have a problem driving 4 ohm speakers. Considering the room is no more than 2,500 cubic feet (sitting maybe 9-12 feet away from the speakers)and these speakers have such high sensitivities (T8s). Do you think getting an additional amp and using the denon as a pre would even be significant? Sure I could probably turn it up a little louder but wouldn't the denon be plenty?

Of course I would get the appropriate amp for the captivator.

#7 ·
If the Denon will drive them ok then at what levels do you want to listen at?

You will get 98dB's at 1m (3.33 FT) @1watt. If you want say 105dB's at 12ft then you will need just over 64 watts of power. (64 watts will give you 116dB's @ 3.33ft less 12dB's for 12ft away).

Also remember that the Denon is rated at 115 watts doesn't mean it will deliver that all channels driven at once.

My advise get an amp.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman222 /forum/post/16878912

Tom,

What amp are you using? What do you feel is lacking with the current amp?

Joe H

I'm using a receiver. A Yamaha RX-V2600 which is 130wpc into 8 ohms. I was looking at going to something like 350wpc into 4 ohms. I'm glad the speakers are nice and efficient.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager /forum/post/16880058

I'll bet the d-sonic 525 x 3 would be incredible with those speakers.

I love mine with my JBL Pro's. You could also find a nice 3 channel 200 watt (honest) used amp...like Acurus or Parasound. really ggod values.

The d-sonic amps are really nice looking amps, however, way over my budget.

#12 ·
I chose to drive the 2010 Triple 8's I am putting in with a QSC RMX850 in bridged mono mode for each speaker, 800 watts per speaker FTW

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death /forum/post/16879151

I'm probably going to go all JTR for my HT (5.1) but theres been one nagging question left. I currently have a Denon 2809CI that I just got that is rated at 115w (7.1) into 8 ohms and is not rated for 4 ohms, though from other posts I here that this receiver doesn't have a problem driving 4 ohm speakers. Considering the room is no more than 2,500 cubic feet (sitting maybe 9-12 feet away from the speakers)and these speakers have such high sensitivities (T8s). Do you think getting an additional amp and using the denon as a pre would even be significant? Sure I could probably turn it up a little louder but wouldn't the denon be plenty?

Of course I would get the appropriate amp for the captivator.

Depends on what max SLP you want. My HT amp is a Sunfire 400/7 (1200W @ 4 Ohms). I also have a Crest CC4000 pro amp that will be used with a pair of Captivator subs that Jeff is building.

I'm going to test the 12LF's and T8's with the Crest (1350W @ 4 Ohms) but don't expect to hear much difference. Anything over 1000W should allow peak SPL into the 120's and that's plenty in my 3600 CF sealed room.

#16 ·
Got my LCR 2010 8s today. Had the 09 versions previously. It's been a while since I've listened to the 09s AND I had over $1000 of upgrades done to my EAD pre/pro too.......what I'm hearing is excellent but I'm sure some is due to the upgrades and some to the speakers. The biggest difference that strikes me compared to what I remember of the 09 8s is a much warmer and rounded sounding midrange....so the midrange character definitely seems more of a presence than the previous versions. I have a good bit of hum with no signal present....can here it from 3-4 feet away but it does not affect the sound. Just using a 2 channel system right now with an 8" Mirage powered sub, modded EAD 8800 pre/pro, Wyred4Sound ST-250, and Oppo 970HD.

Extremely pleased and can't wait to get the theater set up. Jeff installed some inserts for me like before so I slickly have these mounted on some M&K ST1 stands and tilt brackets.

#19 ·
My bad....wrong choice of word. It's not a hum and I've never had a ground problem at my place...several years and several systems. It's the hiss coming from the speakers when no signal is present but they are receiving power. All of my speakers have done this to some degree. Again it's not a problem. I think because of their sensitivity, my previous "coming out of standby" volume setting was quite a bit louder than with my previous speakers therefore the hiss was louder.......I think I just need to turn down my master volume a bit and save it so it powers on quieter.

I'm going to do some serious listening over the weekend and I'll post my thoughts Sunday night or Monday. I mainly listen to blues and hard rock/metal, but I'll be sure to spin a variety. My poor little 8" Mirage sub is going to get abused but it's hangin in there and I'm quite impressed for the money. I WILL be purchasing a couple of big dogs though when I get a theater set up.